vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 15
July 27th, 2012 at 11:36:01 AM permalink
Wallmart got my respect when Hurricane Katrina destroyed the south coast. NO other organization stepped forward like Wallmart.

Example of Wallmarts donations:
$20 million in cash donations, 1,500 truckloads of free merchandise, food for 100,000 meals and the promise of a job for every one of its displaced workers . Not to mention generators, truckloads of water, computers and clothing.
Wallmart had plans in place even before Katrina actually hit. If only government could act thi s faST.

Sure there was good publicity for the chain but it was well earned and they showed they really cared for the people.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 27th, 2012 at 11:41:11 AM permalink
It might surprise people that Walmart is not the largest food chain. Kroeger is. Check their prices out. evidently not passing on the economies of scale to the consumer !
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 120
July 27th, 2012 at 1:29:28 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

It might surprise people that Walmart is not the largest food chain. Kroeger is. Check their prices out. evidently not passing on the economies of scale to the consumer !

If you want guaranteed low, "Regular prices," WalMart is the place to go for brand name items. If you want the best sales, Kroger is easily the place to go. If you want the best prices on store brand merchandise, it is a mix, it depends on the item and Kroger (or Kroger Value) makes some stuff not offered by Great Value and vice-versa.

You just basically have to go in knowing what to get from where, and it will save you $100 or more per month.
Vultures can't be choosers.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 159
July 27th, 2012 at 1:32:45 PM permalink
Walmart matches all low prices. If you can find the exact product, there's the catch.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
Mission146
Mission146
July 27th, 2012 at 1:37:31 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Walmart matches all low prices. If you can find the exact product, there's the catch.

WalMart matches all advertised prices, but Kroger is slick. Kroger will often discount items and not advertise those items, which is something that the Kroger shoppers know about. That's why I always shop at Kroger first. I have all of WalMart's, "Regular prices," memorized, so I know where I am getting the best deal.

You don't always have to find the exact product, in a sample size of two, Wal-Mart will price match a Great Value brand vs. Kroger Brand, provided the quantities are the same...and for most items, they are.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
July 27th, 2012 at 2:37:39 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

The six heirs of Sam Walton have more personal wealth than the "poorest" 90 million Americans.
But they should pay less in taxes, cause it wouldn't be fair otherwise.

I've heard that the bottom 40% of potential American tax payers don't pay any federal income tax. I'd be willing to bet that what the Walton heirs pay is greater than 0.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 159
July 27th, 2012 at 2:47:29 PM permalink
They are just average folks trying to get by, like everyone else.

Quote:

After their daughter Paige graduated from University of Southern California in 2004, a former roommate charged that she had been paid $20,000 over four years to do Paige's homework for her. Once the charges were aired on the ABC news program 20/20, the elder Lauries relinquished naming rights of the facility, which is now known as Mizzou Arena. In June 2005, the college roommate appeared on the Ion Television show Lie Detector.[7] In September 2005, Paige voluntarily surrendered her degree and returned her diploma to USC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Walton_Laurie
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
July 27th, 2012 at 6:00:17 PM permalink
I went to Kroger's page and they don't even offer anything
for sale online. Phooey on them...
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
July 27th, 2012 at 10:12:01 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

WalMart matches all advertised prices, but Kroger is slick. Kroger will often discount items and not advertise those items, which is something that the Kroger shoppers know about. That's why I always shop at Kroger first. I have all of WalMart's, "Regular prices," memorized, so I know where I am getting the best deal.

You don't always have to find the exact product, in a sample size of two, Wal-Mart will price match a Great Value brand vs. Kroger Brand, provided the quantities are the same...and for most items, they are.

I've never understood the "match the price" deal. Why would I drive to your store and have to wait in line to see a manager then have to convince them to match the price when I can just walk into the competitor and buy the thing?

FWIW I would nominate WMT to run the logistics of FEMA. Who gets stuff there faster? And WMT actually has some very sophisticated algorithms that track buying patterns to weather patterns to predict demand. Generally I prefer Target and rarely buy food at WMT, but I respect the heck out of them as a retailer.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Mission146
Mission146
July 28th, 2012 at 1:49:23 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I've never understood the "match the price" deal. Why would I drive to your store and have to wait in line to see a manager then have to convince them to match the price when I can just walk into the competitor and buy the thing?

FWIW I would nominate WMT to run the logistics of FEMA. Who gets stuff there faster? And WMT actually has some very sophisticated algorithms that track buying patterns to weather patterns to predict demand. Generally I prefer Target and rarely buy food at WMT, but I respect the heck out of them as a retailer.

I agree with the second paragraph and lack any further elaboration.

To the first paragraph, I do not know what your experience has been, but I have never needed a manager for the price match. I'll usually invoke the price match guarantee when a local store that I don't like (name withheld to protect privacy of location) or CVS has a really great deal going on. In my experience, you show the cashier the ad, she puts in that price under, "Grocery," or something to that effect.

If you have the ad, then you don't have to do any convincing. I had to convince them to match a Toys 'R Us price I saw on a commercial once, because the item was in the ad, I had to go to WalMart anyway, and did not want to go to Toys 'R Us, but that's the only time I ever had any difficulty.

• Jump to: