AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 219
  • Posts: 11122
July 28th, 2012 at 1:55:17 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I agree with the second paragraph and lack any further elaboration.

To the first paragraph, I do not know what your experience has been, but I have never needed a manager for the price match. I'll usually invoke the price match guarantee when a local store that I don't like (name withheld to protect privacy of location) or CVS has a really great deal going on. In my experience, you show the cashier the ad, she puts in that price under, "Grocery," or something to that effect.

If you have the ad, then you don't have to do any convincing. I had to convince them to match a Toys 'R Us price I saw on a commercial once, because the item was in the ad, I had to go to WalMart anyway, and did not want to go to Toys 'R Us, but that's the only time I ever had any difficulty.



My point isn't that you will have to make a big case, it is that someone needs to approve it. And unless I hate the store with the ad, I will just go to the first place. I have never even tried the price-match thing.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 120
  • Posts: 12261
July 28th, 2012 at 2:19:54 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

My point isn't that you will have to make a big case, it is that someone needs to approve it. And unless I hate the store with the ad, I will just go to the first place. I have never even tried the price-match thing.



I recommend it very highly! Just to experiment, I once did a regular week of grocery shopping, no coupons, no comparisons, no price match...Kroger and whatever was on sale, straight-up. Based on this experiment, I concluded that I save myself nearly $300/month shopping the way that I do. I'm neither rich nor poor by any stretch of the imagination, but I will admit to being in a financial position that $3,600/year matters to me a good deal.

It really depends on the cashier. The policy at Wal-Mart (at one point) was just to take the customer's word for it. It didn't take that long for the AS's (Advantage Shoppers!) to exploit that to the extent that WalMart got rid of it. I am not an advantage shopper to that extent, just for the record.
Vultures can't be choosers.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 219
  • Posts: 11122
July 28th, 2012 at 3:59:51 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I recommend it very highly! Just to experiment, I once did a regular week of grocery shopping, no coupons, no comparisons, no price match...Kroger and whatever was on sale, straight-up. Based on this experiment, I concluded that I save myself nearly $300/month shopping the way that I do. I'm neither rich nor poor by any stretch of the imagination, but I will admit to being in a financial position that $3,600/year matters to me a good deal.



Kroger is pretty aggressive with the in-store sales. When I moved to Phoenix I went to Fry's (a Kroger company) with the then-new roommate. When we went in neither of us felt like getting the shopper's club card as we were both new in town that week and this was very much an "essentials" trip. I didn't want to have to fill anything out. Heck, I didn't even have my address memorized! But after 20 minutes I saw all the savings I would be losing and went to the office to get the card, which they just handed over. He did the same, for the same reasoning. MAWGs seem to think alike I guess.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 120
  • Posts: 12261
July 28th, 2012 at 5:39:11 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Kroger is pretty aggressive with the in-store sales. When I moved to Phoenix I went to Fry's (a Kroger company) with the then-new roommate. When we went in neither of us felt like getting the shopper's club card as we were both new in town that week and this was very much an "essentials" trip. I didn't want to have to fill anything out. Heck, I didn't even have my address memorized! But after 20 minutes I saw all the savings I would be losing and went to the office to get the card, which they just handed over. He did the same, for the same reasoning. MAWGs seem to think alike I guess.



You're absolutely right, but the one thing to watch out for with Kroger's is that there are two types of sales:

1.) Aggressive sales.

2.) Sales that seem aggressive.

The first type is obvious, but the second type, not quite as much. For example, Kroger will often have a sale on MorningStar vegetarian meat-substitute products, and the sale is usually $3.99/product. They are discounting from a regular price of $4.89/product, so it looks really good on paper, but WalMart's reatil on MorningStar (where I live) is $3.49/product. This is the case with many items all over the store, not just vegetarian products. The deli, btw, there is not a single type of cheese you will EVER find on sale at Kroger that is less per pound than WalMart's regular prices.

The best advice I can give people is to know the retail price of the items you most commonly use, if not on all of your items. The sales you see at one store might be higher than retail at another.

Kroger does very well with the Catalina coupons, though, and WalMart (at least, here) honors the coupons of other stores. There was one occasion where Kroger had the MorningStar products at $3.99/apiece, but if you bought three of them, you got a coupon for $2.00/off another three. I took that coupon right over to WalMart and saved $0.50 overall v. WalMart's lower retail price!
Vultures can't be choosers.
teddys
teddys
Joined: Nov 14, 2009
  • Threads: 150
  • Posts: 5444
July 28th, 2012 at 7:54:06 PM permalink
Food prices are ridiculous. There are about five major groceries within 2 miles of me, and a couple farm stands and produce markets. The competition is insane. I spend a pittance, and eat very well. They say grocery spending takes up only 14% of the average American's budget now.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 421
  • Posts: 23391
July 28th, 2012 at 8:05:41 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Food prices are ridiculous. There are about five major groceries within 2 miles of me, and a couple farm stands and produce markets. The competition is insane. I spend a pittance, and eat very well. They say grocery spending takes up only 14% of the average American's budget now.



Most bpeople don't know we spent 35% of income on food
in 1940, and 40% in 1901.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 219
  • Posts: 11122
July 29th, 2012 at 6:54:07 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146



The best advice I can give people is to know the retail price of the items you most commonly use, if not on all of your items. The sales you see at one store might be higher than retail at another.



This is the best advice. When I lived in WNY I just shoped at Wegman's. The market was Wegmans, Tops, and WMT with WMT still fairly new to the grocery-side. Tops was a mess, took forever to check out. The only reasons I would stop is if I came from that direction and needed 1-2 items or for IBC cherry soda in the big bottle which Wegmans did not carry for some reason. Sometimes I went to WMT just for variety, but I do like the gorund beef at WMT better since it is packed very loosely. You can take it out of the package very carefully and it will not clump up, which to me makes it good for a meat-sauce or some other recipies.

The best for all-time sales I ever saw was when I was a cashier. Kleenex had some new product out and it was on sale for $.85. The same time they put a coupon in the paper for $1.00 off. They never said limit the coupon, and the manufacturer pays face value for it anyways. So people got the tissue and $.15 back!
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
July 29th, 2012 at 10:44:07 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

They are just average folks trying to get by, like everyone else.



Nancy Walton Laurie is the daughter of "Bud" Walton, not of "Sam" Walton. She is only worth $2.6 billion, a fraction of what her four cousins are worth.

Since September 2007, Nancy Walton has lived in Henderson. She is the second youngest of the 6 members of the Forbes 400 who lives in Nevada.


Rank Name Net Worth Age Residence Source
8 Sheldon Adelson $21.5B, 78 Las Vegas, Nevada casinos
130 Steve Wynn $2.8B, 69 Las Vegas, Nevada casinos, hotels
139 Nancy Walton Laurie $2.7B, 60 Henderson, Nevada Wal-Mart
166 Phillip Ruffin $2.4B, 76 Las Vegas, Nevada casinos, real estate
263 Elaine Wynn $1.7B, 68 Las Vegas, Nevada Hotels
355 Frank Fertitta III $1.25B, 50 Las Vegas, Nevada Casinos, Ultimate Fighting Championship
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 421
  • Posts: 23391
July 29th, 2012 at 11:59:29 AM permalink
The Walmart superstore idea was started right here in my home
town in the late 50's by a Dutch immagrant named Frederick
Meijer. Nobody in the world had auto, hardware, shoes,
clothes, pet supplies, electronics, drugs, etc, and food, all under
one roof. He took 15 or 20 speciality stores and made them
a one stop shopping experience.

There's almost 200 Meijer stores today and they are in the top
10 family owned businesses in the world. Walton didn't open
his first store till 25 years later. When I moved to Calif in the
70's they had nothing like this. I had to go to 14 different
stores to get what I wanted, it was an unbelivable pain in the
ass.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
vendman1
vendman1
Joined: Mar 12, 2012
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 1032
July 29th, 2012 at 12:59:50 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

$471 million estate tax

Also, the whole "taxing an unsellable item" thing is ridiculous.



This is a great post...exactly what I'm talking about. The IRS is completely clueless. They don't even understand their own rules. How could they?..there are too many over complicated and even conflicting bits of the tax code. It's an abomination.

  • Jump to: