Thread Rating:

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 23rd, 2023 at 4:44:34 PM permalink
As I understand it, during WWII part of the rations given to soldiers included cigarettes.

Funny how we used to see folks smoking in the movies, but rarely any more unless it's a "period piece."

Lots of folks vape now but I don't see it on TV shows or the movies.
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
June 23rd, 2023 at 5:35:14 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

As I understand it, during WWII part of the rations given to soldiers included cigarettes.

Funny how we used to see folks smoking in the movies, but rarely any more unless it's a "period piece."

link to original post

You do not even see it then to the level it should be. Remember that Vegas of the 1960s TV show lasted less than a season about 10 years ago? We were critiquing it here and my comment was that there was no smoking in it. "Mad Men" caught flack for showing how many people used to smoke, but they got it right.

In "Rounders" Worm was supposed to smoke but the actor refused as he hates smoking, which probably is why they showed him tossing the smokes he trimmed from the "brothers game" that he would have used in trade. Cigarettes make for good trade value. Easy to count and store, plus smokers burn them even more effectively than ETH and SHIB burns are happening now.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 23rd, 2023 at 5:46:52 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: MrV

link to original post

You do not even see it then to the level it should be. Remember that Vegas of the 1960s TV show lasted less than a season about 10 years ago? We were critiquing it here and my comment was that there was no smoking in it. "Mad Men" caught flack for showing how many people used to smoke, but they got it right.

In "Rounders" Worm was supposed to smoke but the actor refused as he hates smoking, which probably is why they showed him tossing the smokes he trimmed from the "brothers game" that he would have used in trade. Cigarettes make for good trade value. Easy to count and store, plus smokers burn them even more effectively than ETH and SHIB burns are happening now.
link to original post

I follow several guys on YouTube who travel the world and a couple of them use cartons of cigarettes to trade with quite frequently because so many people in third world countries smoke. Especially in Asia. They don't actually trade with them they give them away as tips or just to be friendly. But never American cigarettes those are way too expensive.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
June 23rd, 2023 at 6:12:52 PM permalink
Why do old guys pay big money to drive around dumpy old cars?

No one still uses TV’s or computers from 1960. What’s the affection with the junkers.
billryan
billryan
June 23rd, 2023 at 6:40:07 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

No one still uses TV’s or computers from 1960. What’s the affection with the junkers.
link to original post

They make nice yard art, but I can't imagine driving a car without AC or power steering.

They had a station wagon meetup in Bisbee a few weeks ago, and it was sad to see how proud some guys are of some of the cars.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
June 23rd, 2023 at 7:01:29 PM permalink

link to original post

Nostalgia, it takes them back to their youth same reason people listen to old music instead of mordern.
MrV
MrV
June 23rd, 2023 at 7:50:36 PM permalink
Many of us older guys have spent a lot of time maintaining our cars.

As time has passed the new cars got more and more complicated and difficult to maintain; they are expensive to buy and expensive to fix.

So lots of us eschew newer cars and keep our old iron, maintaining and enjoying them; they aren't difficult to fix, parts are readily available, and driving them is cheaper than driving new.

An AP move.
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 24th, 2023 at 2:47:14 AM permalink

link to original post

Because they look so much better than cars of today and take you back to an earlier time. Cars really started changing about model year 1971. More and more emission and safety equipment every year. Decline and temporary fall of convertibles. The car culture just kind of died off after this. Meanwhile things all around were in decline. Vietnam, inflation, rot of the urban areas. People want to remember before all this.

For those too young to remember, the 1970s was a really dark period.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
June 24th, 2023 at 3:02:48 AM permalink

why do young guys like horrible music such as rap______?

why are so many of them scammers__________?

why did they turn the internet into a trashcan____________?

Please don't feed the trolls
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 24th, 2023 at 4:13:02 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

why do young guys like horrible music such as rap______?

why are so many of them scammers__________?

why did they turn the internet into a trashcan____________?

link to original post

No answer to the first. At least keep it contained within your car or home please.

Second and third likely because we have politicians who don’t care or are too technologically inept to ever do anything about it. Why did they throwing the world into a trash can?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 24th, 2023 at 5:05:05 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

They make nice yard art, but I can't imagine driving a car without AC or power steering.

They had a station wagon meetup in Bisbee a few weeks ago, and it was sad to see how proud some guys are of some of the cars.
link to original post

I never understood the people that take "pride" in their cars. To me they are just tools to get from place to place. People get bothered when they get door dings or paint scratches, to me it is no different that if I get a scratch on my screwdriver or drill.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 24th, 2023 at 8:03:54 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

I never understood the people that take "pride" in their cars. To me they are just tools to get from place to place. People get bothered when they get door dings or paint scratches, to me it is no different that if I get a scratch on my screwdriver or drill.
link to original post

People who don't take pride in their cars also don't take pride in there clothes or their physical appearance or their lifestyle either usually. It's all linked together.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 24th, 2023 at 9:13:44 AM permalink

link to original post

Think I’m going to blame this one on The Beach Boys.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
June 24th, 2023 at 9:39:04 AM permalink

link to original post

Agree. And for many people, what’s the point of having one of these prideful cars anyway if the only place to tool around is some Podunk rural backwater where the only ones who can admire it are the moose, cows, and rednecks.
DRich
DRich
June 24th, 2023 at 9:54:24 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

People who don't take pride in their cars also don't take pride in there clothes or their physical appearance or their lifestyle either usually. It's all linked together.
link to original post

I don't disagree, but why does having pride in something physical matter. If people take pride in their morals and ethics I will applaud them.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
June 24th, 2023 at 5:14:19 PM permalink
Quote: UP84

link to original post

Agree. And for many people, what’s the point of having one of these prideful cars anyway if the only place to tool around is some Podunk rural backwater where the only ones who can admire it are the moose, cows, and rednecks.
link to original post

Some people like living in rural podunk areas
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
MrV
MrV
June 24th, 2023 at 7:12:55 PM permalink
Quote: UP84

And for many people, what’s the point of having one of these prideful cars anyway if the only place to tool around is some Podunk rural backwater where the only ones who can admire it are the moose, cows, and rednecks.

Some young men walking past tole me "Cool car," referring to my very nice '86 Volvo 740 Turbol

Their comment caused me a brief moment of joy: my hard work is appreciated.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 25th, 2023 at 7:48:23 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I don't disagree, but why does having pride in something physical matter. If people take pride in their morals and ethics I will applaud them.
link to original post

Visiting your house must be a real treat if you have no pride in the things you own and how you take care of them. We have a name for that but I won't use it here.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 25th, 2023 at 7:58:43 AM permalink
Junky stuff is okay, smelly rotting garbage is another story. Too much cat dander in EB's home.I imagine. How much kitty litter do you go through?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 25th, 2023 at 9:11:11 AM permalink
all the oldsters prolly remember the great show "Star Trek"
but how long has it been since you thought about the other great show about space travel "Lost in Space"
I can't remember it well but I do know that I liked it
it ran between '65 and '68 on CBS
the theme was that it was now 1997 and Earth is overpopulated
it's now necessary to travel in space to find suitable habitats for earthlings

rxwine
rxwine
June 25th, 2023 at 10:05:05 AM permalink
"Lost in Space" always seemed fairly low budget, low grade stories to me, even though i watched many episodes. Even as a little kid, I could see right off Dr. Smith needed to be bumped off for the good of everyone. I think it actually aggravated me. When push came to shove, he would demonstrate a shred of humanity for his fellow crew, but it wasn't enough for me to not wish someone would eject him out of a space hatch.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MrV
MrV
June 25th, 2023 at 10:11:16 AM permalink
*sigh*

I had a teen-age crush on Angela Cartwright.

"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 25th, 2023 at 10:52:11 AM permalink

all the oldsters prolly remember the great show "Star Trek"
but how long has it been since you thought about the other great show about space travel "Lost in Space"
I can't remember it well but I do know that I liked it
it ran between '65 and '68 on CBS
the theme was that it was now 1997 and Earth is overpopulated
it's now necessary to travel in space to find suitable habitats for earthlings

link to original post

I remember when the population thing was a huge deal and how the world was going to run out of food in the 90s. It's the opposite now the world has a underpopulation problem, too many countries in the next generation are going to be overwhelmed with old people with no young people to replace them. Countries like China, Russia, Japan, are in serious trouble. And many countries in Europe.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 25th, 2023 at 2:19:32 PM permalink

I remember when the population thing was a huge deal and how the world was going to run out of food in the 90s. It's the opposite now the world has a underpopulation problem, too many countries in the next generation are going to be overwhelmed with old people with no young people to replace them. Countries like China, Russia, Japan, are in serious trouble. And many countries in Europe.
link to original post

Humanity will go extinct within 1000 years. We will die off. The UN predicts the population will peak in something like 80 years, which means it will probably be more like 60.

There is an experiment with a rat colony. The rats were given everything they wanted, it was thought they would just keep populating. The opposite happened. They stopped having babies. People are the same, only the ones who really love kids keep having them as wealth increases.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 26th, 2023 at 1:45:22 AM permalink

link to original post

Humanity will go extinct within 1000 years. We will die off. The UN predicts the population will peak in something like 80 years, which means it will probably be more like 60.

There is an experiment with a rat colony. The rats were given everything they wanted, it was thought they would just keep populating. The opposite happened. They stopped having babies. People are the same, only the ones who really love kids keep having them as wealth increases.
link to original post

from the linked article:

"The world's population is expected to increase by nearly 2 billion persons in the next 30 years, from the current 8 billion to 9.7 billion in 2050 and could peak at nearly 10.4 billion in the mid-2080s."

per the graph we were only 2.5 billion in 1950 - amazing

before looking this up I thought the world pop was a little over 7 billion - but I see we're now very close to 8 billion

https://www.un.org/en/global-issues/population#:~:text=Our%20growing%20population&text=The%20world's%20population%20is%20expected,billion%20in%20the%20mid%2D2080s.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 26th, 2023 at 2:45:52 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

from the linked article:

"The world's population is expected to increase by nearly 2 billion persons in the next 30 years, from the current 8 billion to 9.7 billion in 2050 and could peak at nearly 10.4 billion in the mid-2080s."

per the graph we were only 2.5 billion in 1950 - amazing

before looking this up I thought the world pop was a little over 7 billion - but I see we're now very close to 8 billion

https://www.un.org/en/global-issues/population#:~:text=Our%20growing%20population&text=The%20world's%20population%20is%20expected,billion%20in%20the%20mid%2D2080s.

link to original post

I remember when it hit 6 billion, they gave the honor to some random baby born in then war-torn Kosovo. I sort of remember 7 billion hit a few years later and was "wow, that was fast."

I figure the UN is off a few years as this kind of thing seems to happen faster than they estimate. The fertility rate collapse is amazing. South Korea is down to just over 0.8 births per woman. When you take multiple births into account you can figure this means only about half of women there are having kids. Even India is at just 2.05, which would give a fairly stable population. They were at about 3.0 around the turn of the century. IOW, the fertility rate seems to fall far faster than experts think it will.

You have to wonder what will be happening in the 2100s when the average person starts to realize the reality. Will people see a duty to have a bigger family as they did a smaller one staring in the 1070s? Will governments eventually force women to have kids? It will be interesting times.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 26th, 2023 at 4:25:21 AM permalink
pretty interesting
the linked chart shows the pop growth from 2012-2021 of all the countries
the U.S. is pretty low on the list with only a 5.74% growth rate in that time period averaging only a .63 increase per year
in many countries including Japan the pop has declined
as you might guess the highest pop growth is in some of the poorest countries
Equatorial Guinea leads with an astonishing 58.5% growth rate in that time period averaging 5.28% per year
the Congo is one of the 5 poorest nations in the world - their pop has increased almost 40% in those years averaging a 3.69% increase each year

https://www.worlddata.info/populationgrowth.php#:~:text=In%202021%2C%20it%20reached%20a,middle%20of%20the%20global%20comparison.

rxwine
rxwine
June 26th, 2023 at 4:36:09 AM permalink
Growing populations have their own problems. Growing populations certainly haven't guaranteed 'peace on Earth and goodwill towards men.' So, I don't worry about it.
rxwine
rxwine
July 1st, 2023 at 8:34:41 AM permalink
Saw a video of Flip Wilson telling a joke/Story about Muhammed Ali giving boxing lessons. Looked him up. For two years he had second most popular show on TV. They didn't offer him enough money for another year so he quit. He didn't do another show, didn't go back to standup. Just kind of disappeared, instant retirement. He had a messed up childhood. Mother took all the money and abandoned all 8 kids. They lived wherever they could.

I was trying to think of other people who were really famous and kind of just seemed to vanish and you almost forget they existed.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
  • Threads: 5
July 1st, 2023 at 9:52:42 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Saw a video of Flip Wilson telling a joke/Story about Muhammed Ali giving boxing lessons. Looked him up. For two years he had second most popular show on TV. They didn't offer him enough money for another year so he quit. He didn't do another show, didn't go back to standup. Just kind of disappeared, instant retirement. He had a messed up childhood. Mother took all the money and abandoned all 8 kids. They lived wherever they could.

I was trying to think of other people who were really famous and kind of just seemed to vanish and you almost forget they existed.
link to original post

Maureen O'Hara stopped working for 20 years and ran an aircraft company with her husband. Rick Moranis took long breaks from show business in order to raise his kids as s single parent. I;m sure there are others, but those are the ones I can think of at the moment. Fame can be fickle.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 1st, 2023 at 3:40:08 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

link to original post

Maureen O'Hara stopped working for 20 years and ran an aircraft company with her husband. Rick Moranis took long breaks from show business in order to raise his kids as s single parent. I;m sure there are others, but those are the ones I can think of at the moment. Fame can be fickle.
link to original post

Sitcom stars Wayne Rogers and Gabe Kapplan both quit acting and got into investing, with Rogers eventually being a permanent member on "Cashin In."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 1st, 2023 at 5:26:53 PM permalink
Remember when most fireworks were banned in most states?

Even in the 80s most of the fireworks out there were hard to come by. A few states allowed them mostly in the south and west. Some were available bootleg where they were banned and if you drove to Florida you brought some back. Eventually some states allowed them at the border for people who lived out of state. Now you see tents all over the place.

These days I have no interest but way back they were fun. Guys I knew took some apart to get the powder and make homemade stuff. One of them now goes by "Lefty."
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
July 1st, 2023 at 6:59:43 PM permalink

link to original post

I watch a lot of the classic match game and one of the shows was Susan Richardson from eight is enough.she got pregnant in real life and was told if she didn't lose the ninety pounds gained during pregnancy her job would be in jeopardy. She turned to cocaine. She is now 71 and lives in an old trailer. I always thought she was very cute.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 1st, 2023 at 8:15:48 PM permalink

Even in the 80s most of the fireworks out there were hard to come by. A few states allowed them mostly in the south and west. Some were available bootleg where they were banned and if you drove to Florida you brought some back. Eventually some states allowed them at the border for people who lived out of state. Now you see tents all over the place.

These days I have no interest but way back they were fun. Guys I knew took some apart to get the powder and make homemade stuff. One of them now goes by "Lefty."
link to original post

Indeed. A lot of "if it blows up or goes up" laws.
If the legal options are snakes and sparklers... dancing with the persistent image is only fun for so long.

A few neighbors apparently made the trip to the border.
The professional productions all seemed to be an excuse to feed mosquitoes before getting stuck in traffic.

The kid soon to be known as Lefty is dragging us out to Grandma's place in the country tomorrow.
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 2nd, 2023 at 8:08:33 AM permalink

link to original post

In the late 80s early 90s I went to Indiana every week to go to Shipshewana Auction and I would buy fireworks in Indiana and bring them back and sell them in Michigan and always made out well. Mostly firecrackers and bottle rockets and some of the bigger stuff too. That seems like yesterday to me and it was over 30 years ago. Time gets weird when you get older.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 4th, 2023 at 1:45:55 AM permalink
the "Colussus" circa 1943 (no, I wasn't around then) was the world's first electronic digital computer - it used a large number of valves (vacuum tubes)

the "Colussus" was used to break German ciphers during WW2

another early computer known as the ENIAC - (Electronical Numeric Integrator and Computer) weighed 30 tons and filled up a 1,000 square foot room

the principle of the modern computer was proposed by Alan Turing in his seminal 1936 paper titled "On Computable Numbers"

the Colussus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer#:~:text=After%20a%20functional%20test%20in,of%20valves%20(vacuum%20tubes).

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 4th, 2023 at 6:16:40 AM permalink

the "Colussus" circa 1943 (no, I wasn't around then) was the world's first electronic digital computer - it used a large number of valves (vacuum tubes)

link to original post

(trimmed)

Quote: Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.

EvenBob
EvenBob
July 4th, 2023 at 8:31:26 AM permalink

the "Colussus" was used to break German ciphers during WW2

another early computer known as the ENIAC - (Electronical Numeric Integrator and Computer) weighed 30 tons and filled up a 1,000 square foot room

the principle of the modern computer was proposed by Alan Turing in his seminal 1936 paper titled "On Computable Numbers"

the Colussus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer#:~:text=After%20a%20functional%20test%20in,of%20valves%20(vacuum%20tubes).

link to original post

There's a video of college students in the 1940s running around the aisles of the giant computer in Washington DC that took up a whole city block changing the vacuum tubes using shopping carts because the vacuum tubes were two or three feet tall. The hand calculators they had in the 1970s could do more than that computer.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 4th, 2023 at 9:15:13 AM permalink
EvenBob, do you have a link to that video?

3 foot tall tubes sound like transmitter power tubes.
They would be highly inefficient for computation. (Bigger tubes eat more power.)
billryan
billryan
July 4th, 2023 at 9:26:46 AM permalink
In 1976, I was working part-time for a company that made all sorts of industrial products. My job was to take an already printed label, put it on an envelope and stuff a catalog and a few brochures in it. It was a big factory, with a few offices, and the building had no AC.
They were buying their first computer, and had to build a clean,sterile room for it and install air conditioning for it. It took months of preparation, and they must have interviewed a dozen people for the operating job. When it finally arrived, several IBM people were there for about a week instructing the few who were allowed near it. As it was the only room in the building that was cool, they had to keep everyone away.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 4th, 2023 at 10:06:22 AM permalink
I've never been too sure what vacuum tubes, or transistors for that matter, DO. If you google it, you keep getting this 'controls current' answer,

"A vacuum tube, electron tube, valve (British usage), or tube (North America), is a device that controls electric current flow in a high vacuum between electrodes to which an electric potential difference has been applied."

or this, very grand indeed but ...

"The vacuum tube provided the necessary infrastructure for electrical sound recording and reproduction, the telephone, radio, television and the entire modern era in telecommunications, radar, industrial control and automation systems, medical imaging, computers and all subsequent developments in amplification devices"
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 4th, 2023 at 12:00:37 PM permalink
In very abstract terms, just like a plumbing valve lets water through a pipe, a thermionic valve ("tube") lets electrons move through a wire.

Instead of a hand twisting a knob, a different wire - possibly connected to a different circuit - controls how many electrons can move through.

Electrons can go one way through it. How many is controlled by interference from other electrons attached to another part. (More complex tubes can have more parts. Bigger tubes can handle more electrons - and more power - without melting.)

Transistors are vaguely similar, but without the lightbulb parts that make the vacuum chamber hot so the excited electrons can jump across the void.

It's been a long time since electron school, so hopefully this ELI5 answer is informative without being too far from the mark.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 4th, 2023 at 12:06:53 PM permalink
... and in a CRT ("old TV picture tube"), the electrons are jumping from the back to the front. There are some electromagnets to steer where the electrons go. There are other parts that control how many electrons jump.

The electrons hit the phosphors on the front glass. The phosphors are chemicals that glow when they are hit by electrons.
DRich
DRich
July 4th, 2023 at 12:44:36 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I've never been too sure what vacuum tubes, or transistors for that matter, DO. If you google it, you keep getting this 'controls current' answer,

I think the simplest explanation is that it is a switch that is either open or closed to let electricity through.
DRich
DRich
July 4th, 2023 at 12:47:33 PM permalink
Remember when a man could eat 78 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes? Today, Joey Chestnut won his 16th Mustard belt but was only able to eat 62 hot dogs. Embarrassing.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 4th, 2023 at 12:51:21 PM permalink
the vid gives a nice look at the 1946 ENIAC which they claim is the first electronic computer

although according to Wiki the 1943 Colossus computer was the first - maybe somebody can explain that - I can't

the 2nd vid is about the Colossus and its key contribution in breaking the German high command code in WW2

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 4th, 2023 at 1:24:18 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

They would be highly inefficient for computation. (Bigger tubes eat more power.)
link to original post

More than that they would be much slower due to more space for current to travel.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 4th, 2023 at 2:16:16 PM permalink
I was told Hot Dog contest was postponed from today. The O/U was way higher than that. I won a bet with my son. I had the under….

I couldn’t bet on it here in NY.
rxwine
rxwine
July 4th, 2023 at 2:32:22 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I was told Hot Dog contest was postponed from today. The O/U was way higher than that. I won a bet with my son. I had the under….

I couldn’t bet on it here in NY.
link to original post

Quote:

Here's what fans had to say about the news on social media.

"One day we will invent the technology to eat hot dogs indoors," tweeted James Holzhauer.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 4th, 2023 at 2:42:49 PM permalink

Quote: Dieter

link to original post

More than that they would be much slower due to more space for current to travel.
link to original post

I don't think the tube size was limiting the clock to .0001Ghz. ;)
  • Jump to: