Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
September 20th, 2022 at 12:33:07 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Those canvas sneakers we're the most uncomfortable shoes I ever wore in my life because the canvas stretched and they never fit right. And they were heavy. And they were cheaply made, .

yet again, I believe you're wrong - surprise surprise surprise_____________shazam

the Chucks I posted about were cheaply made and not anywhere near comparable to what's available today for hoopsters

but they weren't uncomfortable, they weren't heavy and they fit right

I dunno - maybe you wore a different brand - or more likely - you and I almost never agree about anything

Please don't feed the trolls
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
September 20th, 2022 at 1:07:28 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Growing up in the 1970's and 1980's I don't ever remember people ever discussing their shoes or brands. I grew up wearing those Converse you call "Chuck's" but to me and my friends they were just shoes. I don't ever remember any difference of the cheap shoes versus the more expensive shoes. People just wore shoes. We did wear different cleats for organized baseball, football, and wrestling.
link to original post

Funny, I grew up in the 70s wearing the Kenny’s knock off version of Chuck Taylors. You bet I remember kids discussing shoe brands.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 20th, 2022 at 1:49:49 PM permalink
In the sixties I don't remember seeing a single piece of clothing that had the maker of the clothing displayed on it. No Calvin Klein jeans, no Jordache t-shirts. Not even any shirts that had any kind of writing on them they didn't come later until the 70s.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 20th, 2022 at 2:06:57 PM permalink
When I was a kid I earned my first money by selling all occasion cards I'd gotten after responding to a magazine ad.

Earned enough to buy x-mas gifts and my first lock blade knife, also mail order.

Those were the days.
"What, me worry?"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
September 20th, 2022 at 2:28:13 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

What was the name of the foot measuring device? That was for hard sole shoes. I didn’t look it up, just wondering if anyone knows from memory.
link to original post

Only thing I can think of is a fluoroscope, although I'm hoping you're thinking of the clanky metal plate with the slides.
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 20th, 2022 at 2:49:00 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Funny, I grew up in the 70s wearing the Kenny’s knock off version of Chuck Taylors. You bet I remember kids discussing shoe brands.
link to original post

In the sixties in school metal heel plates were popular among some guys on their shoes. They were heel savers, metal plates shaped like a horseshoe that you had on your heel and kept them from wearing down. They made a huge amount of noise on the linoleum floors that's why some guys like them you can hear them coming 40 yards away. In the winter though they were extremely slippery and those guys fell down a lot.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
September 20th, 2022 at 3:19:41 PM permalink

What was the name of the foot measuring device? That was for hard sole shoes. I didn’t look it up, just wondering if anyone knows from memory.

It's called a Brannock device.

I had to google it.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 20th, 2022 at 3:53:18 PM permalink
Remember when Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting were popular, safe activities for boys?

Remember building a pinewood derby car and trying to figure out how to make it a winner?
"What, me worry?"
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 20th, 2022 at 3:55:04 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Remember building a pinewood derby car and trying to figure out how to make it a winner?

I do. I remember putting lead fishing weights in the front of mine.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 20th, 2022 at 4:39:31 PM permalink

In the sixties I don't remember seeing a single piece of clothing that had the maker of the clothing displayed on it. No Calvin Klein jeans, no Jordache t-shirts. Not even any shirts that had any kind of writing on them they didn't come later until the 70s.
link to original post

I think the only thing then was Levi’s, but not sure a tag like that counts as designer.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
Thanked by
TigerWu
September 20th, 2022 at 5:02:43 PM permalink

Those canvas sneakers we're the most uncomfortable shoes I ever wore in my life because the canvas stretched and they never fit right. And they were heavy. And they were cheaply made, I hated them. People don't realize in the fifties and sixties all these modern shoes didn't exist. You either wore canvas sneakers or leather shoes there's nothing in between. And we had a dress code in high school you couldn't wear these shoes to school. Boys had to wear shirt with a collar and slacks no blue jeans. And girls had to wear a dress or a skirt. The year after I graduated they dropped the dress code and things went downhill fast as far as discipline went. When I was in school if your hair touched the top of your ears you got sent home. If you disrupted your classroom in any fashion you got kicked out of school for three days. I have an old friend who taught High School in the 1960s through 2005 and he said everything went to hell in the late 70s and never got better. Kids could get away with bloody murder in the classroom and there was nothing you could do about it.
link to original post

Willing to bet you yell, "Hey kids, get off my lawn!" too...
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
September 21st, 2022 at 7:51:25 AM permalink

link to original post

I grew up in the 40's and 50's and remember that all Levi blue jeans had their name on a leather tag on the belt loop area.

tuttigym
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
September 21st, 2022 at 7:55:10 AM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Those canvas sneakers we're the most uncomfortable shoes I ever wore in my life because the canvas stretched and they never fit right. And they were heavy. And they were cheaply made, I hated them. People don't realize in the fifties and sixties all these modern shoes didn't exist. You either wore canvas sneakers or leather shoes there's nothing in between. And we had a dress code in high school you couldn't wear these shoes to school. Boys had to wear shirt with a collar and slacks no blue jeans. And girls had to wear a dress or a skirt. The year after I graduated they dropped the dress code and things went downhill fast as far as discipline went. When I was in school if your hair touched the top of your ears you got sent home. If you disrupted your classroom in any fashion you got kicked out of school for three days. I have an old friend who taught High School in the 1960s through 2005 and he said everything went to hell in the late 70s and never got better. Kids could get away with bloody murder in the classroom and there was nothing you could do about it.
link to original post

link to original post

EB brings up an interesting point... if his high school teacher friend says everything started going to hell in the late 1970s, that would be kids who were 15-18, starting in, let's say, 1976. That gives us some birth years of 1958 to 1961 on the lower end, which was approaching the tail end of the Boomer generation. So why did it start there? Of course, the Boomers' parents were WWII era, and a lot of those folks were dealing with trauma and PTSD, and may not have been the best parents. Then you have the proliferation of leaded gasoline in the '50s, '60s, and '70s, which, if you believe the scientific studies, had a demonstrable negative effect on intelligence. Throw in the Vietnam War and all the other political strife of the '70s, and the problems just kept coming when THOSE people started having kids, then the spread of harder drugs in the '80s, larger urban areas leading to more crime, etc., etc., etc. EB is wrong as usual, though, and getting rid of dress codes had nothing to do with a loss of discipline. There have been far bigger problems at hand over the years.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
September 21st, 2022 at 8:29:12 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

I grew up in the 40's and 50's and remember that all Levi blue jeans had their name on a leather tag on the belt loop area.

tuttigym
link to original post

He more means it being prominent and the reason you bought the item.

Jeans were jeans until the early 1980s. They were not worn near as much before that, usually to work in and when you needed a "tough" pair of pants. The idea of wearing them to work, church, or anything even casual did not cross your mind. Then "designed jeans" came out. Jordache was the big name and they were $40-50 bucks a pair then. That is $110 today. They were just jeans with some name you were told was fancy. They did not have a TV set or something in them. Women were more into them because of the tight fir and Brooke Shields wore them. But they were jeans.

Other clothing had the same thing. A shirt cost more because it had an alligator on it. JCPenny countered this with a fox and a lower price. Soon your tennis shoes had to be Nike or you were not cool, Those also cost a premium, You still see violence over flipping tennis shoes. They are just shoes for crying out loud!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
September 21st, 2022 at 8:42:12 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Quote: GenoDRPh

link to original post

link to original post

Or it could just be grumpy old men, yapping about how the "kids today" have no respect. You know, like grumpy old men have been yapping about for every generation.

Gene

EB brings up an interesting point... if his high school teacher friend says everything started going to hell in the late 1970s, that would be kids who were 15-18, starting in, let's say, 1976. That gives us some birth years of 1958 to 1961 on the lower end, which was approaching the tail end of the Boomer generation. So why did it start there? Of course, the Boomers' parents were WWII era, and a lot of those folks were dealing with trauma and PTSD, and may not have been the best parents. Then you have the proliferation of leaded gasoline in the '50s, '60s, and '70s, which, if you believe the scientific studies, had a demonstrable negative effect on intelligence. Throw in the Vietnam War and all the other political strife of the '70s, and the problems just kept coming when THOSE people started having kids, then the spread of harder drugs in the '80s, larger urban areas leading to more crime, etc., etc., etc. EB is wrong as usual, though, and getting rid of dress codes had nothing to do with a loss of discipline. There have been far bigger problems at hand over the years.
link to original post

tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
September 22nd, 2022 at 11:47:25 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Jeans were jeans until the early 1980s. They were not worn near as much before that, usually to work in and when you needed a "tough" pair of pants. The idea of wearing them to work, church, or anything even casual did not cross your mind.

Where I grew up, Hollywood, CA., the standard pant for all us kids was blue jeans, i.e., Levis. Teachers, male, were required to wear coats and ties as was the case in the business word. Other working men wore Levis for the most part.

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 22nd, 2022 at 12:24:33 PM permalink

the worst thing that ever happened to jeans, as well as other pants was imo bell bottoms

those were some seriously ugly a** pants - hard to believe they were as popular as they were

rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
lilredrooster
September 22nd, 2022 at 12:29:13 PM permalink
Worst material for a suit = polyester

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 22nd, 2022 at 1:03:17 PM permalink

link to original post

Dress codes are an integral part of keeping discipline in school. This is why Catholic schools have dress codes and most private schools have dress codes because it keeps everybody in line. Getting rid of dress code was just part of it. In the seventies in movies and on TV they started portraying kids as being sarcastic smart asses to their teachers in class and real life kids started mimicking that. There's a direct connection between what we saw on TV and in the movies and what was happening in schools. You never saw that kind of thing in the 60s, teachers were respected.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
Thanked by
TigerWu
September 22nd, 2022 at 1:17:57 PM permalink

link to original post

Dress codes are an integral part of keeping discipline in school. This is why Catholic schools have dress codes and most private schools have dress codes because it keeps everybody in line. Getting rid of dress code was just part of it. In the seventies in movies and on TV they started portraying kids as being sarcastic smart asses to their teachers in class and real life kids started mimicking that. There's a direct connection between what we saw on TV and in the movies and what was happening in schools. You never saw that kind of thing in the 60s, teachers were respected.
link to original post

Hey kids, get off my lawn!
DRich
DRich
September 22nd, 2022 at 2:54:03 PM permalink

I think I dated her.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 22nd, 2022 at 3:34:21 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I think I dated her.
link to original post

Is she one of your wives?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 22nd, 2022 at 3:43:41 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Totally agree. You can see the same in adults who work in a formal vs a business casual place. Other things do enter into it of course, but people behave different if they are required to be in some sort of uniform. I missed them adding a dress code in Catholic school by IIRC one year. But for guys the "uniform" was a choice of like 2 colors of shirt and 2-3 of pants. The girls got traditional Catholic school uniforms which they always had the option of before.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 22nd, 2022 at 9:24:40 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

\\

Totally agree. You can see the same in adults who work in a formal vs a business casual place. Other things do enter into it of course, but people behave different if they are required to be in some sort of uniform. I missed them adding a dress code in Catholic school by IIRC one year. But for guys the "uniform" was a choice of like 2 colors of shirt and 2-3 of pants. The girls got traditional Catholic school uniforms which they always had the option of before.
link to original post

Imagine the military without dress codes, there would be no discipline; the stricter the dress codes the stricter the discipline. Every military doesn't wear uniforms because it's cool, they do it to control the troops. You lose your individuality when you're forced to wear uniform even if it's in private school. You become more submissive and more apt to follow the rules and do what you're told.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 23rd, 2022 at 3:13:25 AM permalink

Imagine the military without dress codes, there would be no discipline; the stricter the dress codes the stricter the discipline. Every military doesn't wear uniforms because it's cool, they do it to control the troops. You lose your individuality when you're forced to wear uniform even if it's in private school. You become more submissive and more apt to follow the rules and do what you're told.
link to original post

Correct. Remember we talked a little about this in thread about more women becoming nuns on the other side? For those who did not see it, there is an uptick in women becoming nuns the past few years. Some are disappointed that many orders do not wear the habit anymore, they just wear plain clothes. While the work is the same and street clothes are probably more practical for most things the habit adds a sense of belonging and purpose.

I can say the same from working the casino parties. The "uniform" is just a dress code, but it makes you feel like you are at work and something of a professional. When we train people the one guy even wears his to make the point.
rxwine
rxwine
September 23rd, 2022 at 5:44:10 AM permalink
I don't think you need uniforms because of some magical property, but it makes sense for several practical matters. A leader can tell at a glance who is who and what status everyone holds in an organization from a glance whether they know the person or not. And everyone is guaranteed to meet the same dress code since everyone is dressed in organization in approved clothes. And they can identify what jobs a person does. Many organizations do use a partial uniform requirement, even if it's just managers with ties.

It would be interesting to see if kids in uniforms are more behaved when the teacher is out of the classroom than kids without uniforms.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
camapl
September 23rd, 2022 at 5:58:29 AM permalink

I don't think you need uniforms because of some magical property, but it makes sense for several practical matters. A leader can tell at a glance who is who and what status everyone holds in an organization from a glance whether they know the person or not. And everyone is guaranteed to meet the same dress code since everyone is dressed in organization in approved clothes. And they can identify what jobs a person does. Many organizations do use a partial uniform requirement, even if it's just managers with ties.

It would be interesting to see if kids in uniforms are more behaved when the teacher is out of the classroom than kids without uniforms.
link to original post

The kids wore uniforms in Lord of the Flies.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 2nd, 2022 at 1:54:35 AM permalink
Remember when you had to constantly adjust the color on your color TV so that it looked realistic back in the 70s and 80s. Remember that you would go into some people's houses and they would have the color adjusted so it was like blasting Neon at you off the screen. They always had the color cranked way up. Thank God those days are long gone. I have said here before more than once that I got my first color tv in 1970 and it was one of the biggest events in my life and to this day it still is. It captivated me for the next two years at least. Every day was a pleasure because all the reruns from the 1960s and all the current shows we're now in color. I was in heaven.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 2nd, 2022 at 2:48:14 AM permalink

Remember when you had to constantly adjust the color on your color TV so that it looked realistic back in the 70s and 80s. Remember that you would go into some people's houses and they would have the color adjusted so it was like blasting Neon at you off the screen. They always had the color cranked way up. Thank God those days are long gone. I have said here before more than once that I got my first color tv in 1970 and it was one of the biggest events in my life and to this day it still is. It captivated me for the next two years at least. Every day was a pleasure because all the reruns from the 1960s and all the current shows we're now in color. I was in heaven.
link to original post

Remember when that color TV had 2 little colored squares that showed it was a color TV and the color of those squares changed by the angle you looked at them?
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 2nd, 2022 at 1:34:16 PM permalink

link to original post

Remember when that color TV had 2 little colored squares that showed it was a color TV and the color of those squares changed by the angle you looked at them?
link to original post

People born after 1970 will never have any idea what a big deal color TV was in the 60s and 70s. In the 60s if you got a big color TV console you put the big box that it came in out by the road for the garbage man for days before you were supposed to cuz you want all your neighbors to see that you just bought a $3,000 television. I remember in the early sixties a neighbor had a Bonanza party every Sunday when he had his relatives come over and they all watched Bonanza because it was the only show on TV besides Ed Sullivan that was in color. Even in 1970 when I bought my first color tv is 16 in Zenith I got it at Sears on credit it was $400 which in today's money is over $3,000. Last year I went to Walmart and bought a flat screen color TV for my office 19" for under $100. That first color tv was absolutely the best purchase I ever made as far as getting pleasure out of it goes even better than my first computer. Which was mostly an expensive pain-in-the-ass.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 2nd, 2022 at 2:04:46 PM permalink

everyone is so used to everything being in color now

I deliberately look for black and white photos

I find them to be very striking and appealing

also, black and white tv shows that are re-run - Xfinity has re-run Gunsmoke in both black and white and color

I greatly prefer the black and white - and what a great show that was

ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 117
October 2nd, 2022 at 2:05:05 PM permalink

link to original post

"All of the reruns from the 1960s were now in color" caused a problem of its own, at least where I lived; with the shows that started with black-and-white episodes and then changed to color, most of the stations in my area would air only the color episodes. For some series, that's not really a problem...but for The Andy Griffith Show, they pretty much erased Barney Fife from history.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 2nd, 2022 at 2:54:08 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

link to original post

"All of the reruns from the 1960s were now in color" caused a problem of its own, at least where I lived; with the shows that started with black-and-white episodes and then changed to color, most of the stations in my area would air only the color episodes. For some series, that's not really a problem...but for The Andy Griffith Show, they pretty much erased Barney Fife from history.
link to original post

By 1966 pretty much every show on TV was in color and before that it was spotty. I think Barney left after the 1964 season. I really like reruns of Batman because the color was so outrageous it was on twice a week so it was a lot of reruns. I think Walt Disney show was called The Wonderful World of Color that's what a big deal color was in the sixties. It killed the movie business for a while because people with color TVs never left home. My younger brother never went to school again 5 days a week after 1970 because of the color TV. And I swear color was better in those days than it is now, brighter or something.
rxwine
rxwine
October 2nd, 2022 at 3:13:45 PM permalink
My dad was against buying a color TV. He was also against braces. Good thing my teeth were reasonably straight.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 117
October 2nd, 2022 at 3:26:40 PM permalink

By 1966 pretty much every show on TV was in color and before that it was spotty. I think Barney left after the 1964 season. I really like reruns of Batman because the color was so outrageous it was on twice a week so it was a lot of reruns. I think Walt Disney show was called The Wonderful World of Color that's what a big deal color was in the sixties. It killed the movie business for a while because people with color TVs never left home. My younger brother never went to school again 5 days a week after 1970 because of the color TV. And I swear color was better in those days than it is now, brighter or something.
link to original post

A few "color TV" trivia notes:

While there may have been some series in the 1950s produced in color, I think the first series broadcast in color was the third season of The Flintstones. The first two seasons do appear in color now, because they were made that way, but ABC didn't broadcast them in color.

A Christmas episode of the 1950s-era Dragnet was made in color. The reason: Jack Webb realized that the episode would still be viewable when Color TV finally became commonplace. The reason you don't see it broadcast every year: what Webb didn't foresee at the time was, the series itself would be redone (with Harry Morgan as Joe Friday's partner) in 1967, and they remade the same Christmas episode. A black-and-white version of the original is on YouTube.

At least two game shows broadcast in color - 3 on a Match and Showoffs - had to put words of colors on the screen in front of the colors. For example, on Showoffs, one team wore red, and the other blue, and they had "REDS" and "BLUES" on their shirts. The reason: affordable small color TVs didn't exist until around 1983, so quite a few people still had black-and-white TVs, where red, green, and blue are pretty much indistinguishable.
rxwine
rxwine
October 2nd, 2022 at 5:22:25 PM permalink
Our neighbor had cable TV in the 70s. Cable TV then was a series of local stations usually within a couple hundred miles. So, other than the 3 networks all stations were just other small-town stations with local budgets.
rxwine
rxwine
October 2nd, 2022 at 5:26:39 PM permalink
Later on, there was a scrambled porn channel. But the scrambler wasn't that good, so if you had patience, bits and pieces of the film would give you a momentary glimpse of the action.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
October 2nd, 2022 at 5:29:38 PM permalink
One of the great, subtle jokes of the 1982 television parody of cop shows, "Police Squad!", is the announcer, during the opening credits, sternly stating "Police Squad — in color."
rxwine
rxwine
October 2nd, 2022 at 6:56:55 PM permalink
Just because I was curious

Quote:

When was the last successful drop kick in the NFL?
To date, the only successful drop kick in the NFL since 1941 was by Doug Flutie, the backup quarterback of the New England Patriots, against the Miami Dolphins on January 1, 2006, for an extra point after a touchdown.

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 2nd, 2022 at 8:12:53 PM permalink

Our neighbor had cable TV in the 70s. Cable TV then was a series of local stations usually within a couple hundred miles. So, other than the 3 networks all stations were just other small-town stations with local budgets.
link to original post

\

I had cable in Santa Barbara in the late 70s early 80s, stolen of course. HBO also. All you had to do is climb the pole and run a cable to your apartment or house it wasn't even illegal yet, you could steal service and get away with it. I didn't know anybody who was paying for it. HBO had a scrambler box but you could buy one on the black market for 10 bucks I had a couple of them. Of course the color TV I watched all this on was one I bought in the bar when somebody brought it in for sale for $25. I'm sure it was stolen but I didn't ask. I just wanted a nice color TV in my bedroom. I had questionable moral fiber in those days. You're surrounded with so much crime and so many drugs that it kind of sucks you in. One of my favorite lines from a movie is, when you dance with the Devil the devil doesn't change, the Devil changes you.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 8th, 2022 at 2:16:20 PM permalink

favorite comics when I was a little kid:

TigerWu
TigerWu
October 8th, 2022 at 2:29:12 PM permalink
I still read Archie comics.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 8th, 2022 at 4:45:12 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

link to original post

I inhaled comic books by the stack when I was a little kid. I would read the same ones over and over then I would take him to the library and trade them in on comic books I've never read. Any kind of comic book you can imagine I read it. Then in 5th grade I discovered The Hardy Boys books and I started reading them and I never looked back to comics. From then on I always had my nose stuck in a book. I remember when I was in 6th grade looking at the rack of paperbacks in the local drugstore some of them were quite racy and the pharmacist owner came from behind the counter and steered me over to the comic section he would not let me look at those books. I can't imagine that happening now.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 8th, 2022 at 5:32:05 PM permalink

Quote: lilredrooster

link to original post

I inhaled comic books by the stack when I was a little kid. I would read the same ones over and over then I would take him to the library and trade them in on comic books I've never read. Any kind of comic book you can imagine I read it. Then in 5th grade I discovered The Hardy Boys books and I started reading them and I never looked back to comics. From then on I always had my nose stuck in a book. I remember when I was in 6th grade looking at the rack of paperbacks in the local drugstore some of them were quite racy and the pharmacist owner came from behind the counter and steered me over to the comic section he would not let me look at those books. I can't imagine that happening now.
link to original post

We would visit my mother's sister every summer. They had a wall of books. The ones that cost maybe a buck in the early 70s. Her husband would give us a bunch to take home and read over the next year or so. He was better at picking good ones than she was but we would also take one or two we found on our own. He gave me one, "Report From Engine Company 82."

For some reason that one I still remember well though I read it only once. Fireman in the 60s telling the day to day life of being a fireman in 1960s NYC. You can see the collapse of society there in his writing, he talks of all the heroin amongst other things. Says how he grew up on welfare and they had to hide their TV from the case worker back then. Being a fireman was a way out for him.

So I would read it and the others in study halls. High school being high school people thought you weird if you were reading a book. Read "Soldier of Fortune" and you were OK, a book? Anyhow some upper classman asks what it is about. I tell him and he says "oh, you like fireman books?" I explain that I read a variety of books, this was just one.

I wish the used bookstore was still around. No $1 books but sometimes for a few bucks you could find some books a few years old but still relevant.
DRich
DRich
October 8th, 2022 at 5:36:51 PM permalink

I wish the used bookstore was still around. No $1 books but sometimes for a few bucks you could find some books a few years old but still relevant.

When my wife was poor she lived in San Diego. Her big treat to herself was every two weeks on payday she would go to the dollar used book store and buy five books for $5. She was always very excited about that. Now she doesn't get excited when her Amazon packages show up daily.
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
October 8th, 2022 at 10:41:30 PM permalink

<snip>I wish the used bookstore was still around. No $1 books but sometimes for a few bucks you could find some books a few years old but still relevant.
link to original post

My local library has a book sale every year where all the books are 10¢ each. Dad and I always bring some large shopping bags and load up.

Dog Hand
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 9th, 2022 at 12:13:51 AM permalink

always loved books - worked at the 2nd highest volume bookstore in the country for 6 years - a Borders
earlier in this thread I made fun of Dostoevsky - am now re-reading Crime and Punishment now - so great
I feel kinna stupid for making fun of the guy - he was one of the greatest writers ever - I guess he won't mind too much

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 9th, 2022 at 1:32:52 AM permalink

So I would read it and the others in study halls. High school being high school people thought you weird if you were reading a book. Read "Soldier of Fortune" and you were OK, a book? Anyhow some upper classman asks what it is about. I tell him and he says "oh, you like fireman books?" I explain that I read a variety of books, this was just one.
link to original post

Reading in high school is what saved me. In a boring class I would be reading a book and not paying attention and a teacher once told me she passed me because she knew I was smart because I was always reading. I got to 9th grade and they had this great literature book for 9th grade that were full of short stories by famous people and they had one for every grade level and they had them in the school library so I took them all out and read them all cover to cover. I loved the library so much that I wanted to be a librarian and even took Library science in college but it didn't pay anything in the early 70s, teaching sucked. Not like now the teachers are making these huge amounts of money. In the early seventies you could barely survive on what they paid you.

I come from a family of readers, my oldest memories are my great grandfather and my grandfather sitting next to the bay window and reading paperbacks in they're rocking chairs with these huge magnifying glasses. My father read for hours every evening, chain-smoking Marlboros. The best gifts I got growing up were Book of the Month Club memberships. Classic book of the month, science fiction book of the month, New York Times best seller book of the month, this is what I would get for Christmas. Science fiction was the best because the early sixties were when all the great writers were still churning out books. Isaac Asimov, Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Philip K dick, I got them all in book of the Month Club.

When I live in Santa Barbara I want to The Used Book Store out by the university all the time and books were really cheap. I would buy them by the box and I had this girlfriend who was a voracious reader all she did was read but it drove me nuts because she couldn't remember any of it and we would have these big arguments about what's the point of reading if you don't remember it. She would get so mad at me. But I remember everything I read, that's the whole point. I didn't discover Stephen King until he had already written most of his best stuff so I got to read all his books one after another. I used to go to bookstores a couple times a month and I love them but I don't think I've been to a bookstore since I joined Amazon in 1998. I really miss them.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 9th, 2022 at 2:41:07 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

<snip>I wish the used bookstore was still around. No $1 books but sometimes for a few bucks you could find some books a few years old but still relevant.
link to original post

My local library has a book sale every year where all the books are 10¢ each. Dad and I always bring some large shopping bags and load up.

Dog Hand
link to original post

One place I worked had a free books table. I found "The Enemy Within" which while completely out of date to now really showed how the crooked the Teamsters really were. I read it and gave it to someone else as I no longer look at my bookshelves as some kind of trophy case. Sooner or later I will find more of those cheap sales.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 9th, 2022 at 2:44:01 AM permalink

link to original post

Reading in high school is what saved me. In a boring class I would be reading a book and not paying attention and a teacher once told me she passed me because she knew I was smart because I was always reading. I got to 9th grade and they had this great literature book for 9th grade that were full of short stories by famous people and they had one for every grade level and they had them in the school library so I took them all out and read them all cover to cover. I loved the library so much that I wanted to be a librarian and even took Library science in college but it didn't pay anything in the early 70s, teaching sucked. Not like now the teachers are making these huge amounts of money. In the early seventies you could barely survive on what they paid you.

I come from a family of readers, my oldest memories are my great grandfather and my grandfather sitting next to the bay window and reading paperbacks in they're rocking chairs with these huge magnifying glasses. My father read for hours every evening, chain-smoking Marlboros. The best gifts I got growing up were Book of the Month Club memberships. Classic book of the month, science fiction book of the month, New York Times best seller book of the month, this is what I would get for Christmas. Science fiction was the best because the early sixties were when all the great writers were still churning out books. Isaac Asimov, Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Philip K dick, I got them all in book of the Month Club.

When I live in Santa Barbara I want to The Used Book Store out by the university all the time and books were really cheap. I would buy them by the box and I had this girlfriend who was a voracious reader all she did was read but it drove me nuts because she couldn't remember any of it and we would have these big arguments about what's the point of reading if you don't remember it. She would get so mad at me. But I remember everything I read, that's the whole point. I didn't discover Stephen King until he had already written most of his best stuff so I got to read all his books one after another. I used to go to bookstores a couple times a month and I love them but I don't think I've been to a bookstore since I joined Amazon in 1998. I really miss them.
link to original post

Lately I keep thinking of trying to find some cheapo used MBA class textbooks. Have to be some out of print with little value. Mainly to learn more on stock options. Then I remember that most of what they teach on stocks is far above what I can use. Maybe I find one for $5 somewhere.
  • Jump to: