avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
Thanked by
SOOPOO
June 25th, 2022 at 7:11:43 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: JimRockford

Anyone remember AAA TripTik? A custom made spiral bound flip book of maps for your road trip.

link to original post

I loved going to AAA to get them! I used to save them in the car until it was self evident it was a trip I wasn’t repeating.

Map story…. Ex and I are on the Island of Malta. Street signs not in English. I’m driving, she’s the co pilot with the map. We are trying to go from one main road to another when I don’t exit the circle at the proper place. We re-enter the circle with a second failure. I probably said something not so nice to ex, who throws map at me. I duck, and it flies out the window never to be seen again. We pull over, and laugh our balls off! When you f… up with modern GPS, there is nothing to throw!
link to original post

very true. What I love is the searching for satellite message. Makes we want to throw gps out window if it takes to long
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 10th, 2022 at 6:15:28 PM permalink
Does anyone still see "This road patrolled from the air." signs or whatever they used to say? I haven't done much intrastate travel lately so don't really know if they still are out there. Even at the time, I suspected they weren't flying overhead that much. But they had me looking up in my younger days like paranoid Henry Hill in Goodfellas.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 10th, 2022 at 8:09:45 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Does anyone still see "This road patrolled from the air." signs or whatever they used to say? I haven't done much intrastate travel lately so don't really know if they still are out there. Even at the time, I suspected they weren't flying overhead that much. But they had me looking up in my younger days like paranoid Henry Hill in Goodfellas.
link to original post

Ohio Turnpike still has "bears in the air", and signs like "speed enforced by aircraft". (Pretty sure I got buzzed last week.)

That sort of sign can be seen intermittently elsewhere, but the exact locales elude my memory at the moment.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
July 10th, 2022 at 8:11:21 PM permalink
Can some one please explain what a “turnpike” is ?
It’s all about making that GTA
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 10th, 2022 at 8:15:19 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

link to original post

The name comes from the original style of gate used on the original private toll roads.
Now, "turnpike" is one of the names used for certain toll roads.
In some locales, non-toll roads are also called turnpikes, because they used to be private toll roads a long time ago.
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
July 11th, 2022 at 3:11:22 AM permalink

as a liitle kid it was indeed a special day when I got to ride on a Streetcar. I had to sit up front and watch every move the Conductor made. he was THE MAN - able to control that gigantic thing.

Moms from the burbs used Streetcars to get to the much better (at that time) downtown DC shopping

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 11th, 2022 at 5:32:29 AM permalink

link to original post

Toll road.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 11th, 2022 at 2:14:57 PM permalink

passbook savings accounts_________

Traditionally, a passbook was used for accounts with a low transaction volume, such as savings accounts. A bank teller would write the date, amount of the transaction and the updated balance and enter his or her initials by hand.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
lilredrooster
July 11th, 2022 at 5:16:32 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

as a liitle kid it was indeed a special day when I got to ride on a Streetcar. I had to sit up front and watch every move the Conductor made. he was THE MAN - able to control that gigantic thing.

Moms from the burbs used Streetcars to get to the much better (at that time) downtown DC shopping

link to original post

My dad was part of a crew that rebuilt many, many of these type of trolleys. When the local transit authority took over the six independent local transit companies in the 1960s they found they bought a junkyard, probably why it was done. All these people say how those St Louis cars "held up for decades." Not really true. They wer3e rusted out and restored like an antique car. He got a few calls from the local trolley museum to volunteer to work there.

Which brings me to "what do you call them?" We use "streetcars" and "trolleys" pretty interchangeable here. But I remember the conversation in Phoenix when they were test running the light rail. I told a co-worker about it.

"Looks like the light rail is getting close. they were test running the trolleys."
"The what?"
"The trolleys"
"The WHAT?"
"TROLLEYS"
"BOY, WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"
"Trolleys. The cars that run on the light rail!"
"What are you? From Germany??"

At the least I thought anyone who had ever seen "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood" had heard the term. BTW: That may be because he was from the same city as I was.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 12th, 2022 at 2:24:04 AM permalink

the gigantic multi-level department stores from the past - this is Hechts in DC - needed elevator operators

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
lilredrooster
July 12th, 2022 at 3:19:01 AM permalink

the gigantic multi-level department stores from the past - this is Hechts in DC - needed elevator operators

It was actually a skill. I was on one old one with no buttons that somehow survived to the 1980s. In an office building and not really for the public. Hard to believe how they once worked.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 13th, 2022 at 2:27:48 AM permalink

the VW bus was a legend

most dudes who owned one would put a bed in the back

it was a rolling love shack for the free spirits of the era

if they happened to open the big door when you walked by you would get a contact high

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 13th, 2022 at 10:47:28 AM permalink
My folks weren't poor at all, but when I grew up in the fifties and sixties we didn't have air conditioning in our house or car til the late sixties.

Sure, you get used to it, but summer in NJ is hot and humid.

I recall one evening when I was a kid it was hell: big fan on in the window, no sheets over me, wearing only my underwear, motionless, yet sweating continuously.

Now I know why so many of us fled to the lakes of New Hampshire in the summer for a few weeks of cooler weather.

Air conditioning: the unsung hero of modern civilization.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
July 13th, 2022 at 11:46:25 AM permalink
Might be the last to know. But you miss that one day in school and may not learn something for years.

Lake Mead, the largest human-made reservoir in the U.S.,
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
camapl
July 14th, 2022 at 6:08:51 AM permalink

there weren't a lot of scammers back in the day - they didn't have digital means

but there was one guy I knew of who had a pretty effective nickel and dime con

he stood in front of Georgetown bars collecting a $3.00 cover charge

except those bars didn't have a cover charge__________________________________(~:/

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 14, 2022
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
lilredrooster
July 14th, 2022 at 6:25:10 AM permalink

there weren't a lot of scammers back in the day - they didn't have digital means

but there was one guy I knew of who had a pretty effective con

except those bars didn't have a cover charge__________________________________(~:/
link to original post

Speaking of scammers, I think Frank Abagnale's (real person for the movie "Catch Me if you Can" with DiCaprio) best story on Johnny Carson clip is at the 7:50 mark) I don't think it was in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIYtKR24LQs
DRich
DRich
July 14th, 2022 at 8:23:11 AM permalink

but there was one guy I knew of who had a pretty effective con

link to original post

Speaking of scammers, I think Frank Abagnale's (real person for the movie "Catch Me if you Can" with DiCaprio) best story on Johnny Carson clip is at the 7:50 mark) I don't think it was in the movie.

link to original post

If you haven't read the book, you should. The best book I have ever read. One of the few where the movie was good, but the book is incredible.
camapl
camapl
July 14th, 2022 at 10:39:33 AM permalink

link to original post

I remember the scene. If it wasn’t in the movie, then it may have been a deleted scene…

I enjoyed his description and Carson’s interaction.
Expectation is the root of all heartache.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 26th, 2022 at 11:50:35 PM permalink

I didn't really know this actress - she was before my time - I happened to see her in an old movie I was watching last night

she was incredibly beautiful - absolutely stunning - she retired from acting at age 26 to become the Princess of Monaco

Grace Kelly

TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
August 27th, 2022 at 8:15:41 AM permalink

I didn't really know this actress - she was before my time - I happened to see her in an old movie I was watching last night

she was incredibly beautiful - absolutely stunning - she retired from acting at age 26 to become the Princess of Monaco

Grace Kelly

Yeah, super hot lady. Died tragically in a car accident. I remember when I was a kid thinking it was dumb of her to quit acting just to get married....lol.... now that I'm older I realize it's probably a way better gig being a princess.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
odiousgambit
August 28th, 2022 at 2:30:44 AM permalink

duckpin bowling - lots of fun - I liked it better than 10 pins - it's almost completely gone now

only 41 duckpin alleys left in the entire U.S.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 28th, 2022 at 2:44:30 AM permalink

duckpin bowling - lots of fun - I liked it better than 10 pins - it's almost completely gone now

Only tried it once. Even when I was a kid there were something like 100 places left. Somehow two of them were within a block or two of each other near where I grew up.

Auto pinsetters helped kill it. My dad said when they had pinboys you could play either, just said what you wanted when you got an alley. But the auto-pin setter while it led to a bowling boom also eliminated the choice.
camapl
camapl
August 28th, 2022 at 5:11:15 AM permalink

link to original post

Both guys look like they’re posing, but the gal looks like she’s really concentrating… “I’ll show those boys how to roll!”
Expectation is the root of all heartache.
Joeman
Joeman 
  • Threads: 36
August 28th, 2022 at 5:15:35 AM permalink
The bowling center near where I grew up in South Florida converted 4 of their lanes to duckpin lanes around 1990. They modified the pinsetters to accommodate the duckpins.

I rolled a few games. It was fun, but basically a novelty. It never really caught on. Unfortunately, the bowling alley closed a few years later. Now, it is a strip mall.

I was always amused by the fact that in duckpin, you can hit the headpin and only knock down 2 pins total!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
rxwine
rxwine
August 28th, 2022 at 7:54:46 AM permalink

link to original post

Nowadays, things need to explode when you hit them to keep the interest of the youthful crowd
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 15th, 2022 at 8:26:38 PM permalink

I grew up in the 1950s and I remember elevator operators very well. It was often a job for a handicap man because they could sit down on a stool and only needed one arm to do the job effectively. Some of them did it for decades because that's the only kind of job they could get. When self-serve elevators came along put a lot of people out of work. I say handicapped man because you very seldom to never saw a woman elevator operator and certainly not a handicap one. Women mostly didn't work in the 50s, my mother did but she was the exception. All my friends mothers we're stay at home June Cleavers There was also lots of shoeshine guys downtown in the 1950s and they were always busy. They mostly disappeared in the 1960s.link to original post

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 16th, 2022 at 1:28:48 AM permalink

great pic EB - thanks for that

this is students in high school 1930s learning the latest high technology

at first glance I thought it was dudeless - but I looked again and there are some dudes there - they're wearing ties

teach looks intense - careful with your spelling - don't get her riled

EvenBob
EvenBob
September 16th, 2022 at 1:40:58 AM permalink

great pic EB - thanks for that

this is students in high school 1930s learning the latest high technology

at first glance I thought it was dudeless - but I looked again and there are some dudes there - they're wearing ties

teach looks intense - careful with your spelling - don't get her riled

Typing was a serious skill in the 20th century and who knew it would carry over to computers. We all look at keyboards everyday. I have a mint condition 1965 Olympia typewriter made in Germany and on eBay they are going for a couple hundred dollars. Vintage typewriters are very collectible now

link to original post

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 16th, 2022 at 2:32:54 AM permalink

on the girl on the left front's typewriter you can see the name L.C. Smith

they later became Smith Corona which iirc was the best name brand for this product 50s and 60s

I know shoeshine guys were around in DC - but not in the burbs - even in the late 70s - I got a couple of shines from them - but I always felt kinna uncomfortable about it

DRich
DRich
September 16th, 2022 at 5:44:04 AM permalink

on the girl on the left front's typewriter you can see the name L.C. Smith

they later became Smith Corona which iirc was the best name brand for this product 50s and 60s

I know shoeshine guys were around in DC - but not in the burbs - even in the late 70s - I got a couple of shines from them - but I always felt kinna uncomfortable about it

link to original post

I am probably a little younger than you, I only remember shoe shine stands at airports and I still occasionally see them. That was the only place I have ever had my shoes shined.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
September 16th, 2022 at 10:33:22 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

I am probably a little younger than you, I only remember shoe shine stands at airports and I still occasionally see them. That was the only place I have ever had my shoes shined.
link to original post

For a while in the early 90’s when I worked on Wall Street at One Chase Plaza there was a shoeshine guy who would come around to certain floors and give shines at your desk. Tom Wolf had written a few passages in Bonfire of the Vanities about just such a character, Felix, who did the same thing for the Masters of the Universe (whose office was modeled after One Chase Plaza). I think the shoeshine guy eventually retired. Anyway he definitely was gone by the late 90s. Last of a dying breed.

Uptown, until I think around the mid 2000s, there used to be a large bank of shoeshine chairs on 42nd Street, just outside of Grand Central Terminal.
Last edited by: UP84 on Sep 16, 2022
TigerWu
TigerWu
September 16th, 2022 at 1:22:28 PM permalink
I always thought shoeshines were an odd thing to pay for since you can so easily do it yourself.
rxwine
rxwine
September 16th, 2022 at 1:35:07 PM permalink
Video Killed the Radio Star Business Casual Killed the Shoeshine Man.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 16th, 2022 at 1:54:01 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I always thought shoeshines were an odd thing to pay for since you can so easily do it yourself.
link to original post

You have obviously never shined shoes before because it's not easy at all to do it correctly. And it's a messy pain in the butt. It was also started in the days when absolutely everybody wore leather shoes which gradually phased out after the 1950s. These days almost nobody wears leather shoes anymore comparatively.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
September 16th, 2022 at 1:59:51 PM permalink

link to original post

Exactly!
TigerWu
TigerWu
September 16th, 2022 at 2:08:31 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You have obviously never shined shoes before because it's not easy at all to do it correctly.
link to original post

I did quite a bit of shining in the Army so I do know what it takes, thanks.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 16th, 2022 at 2:11:01 PM permalink

off the subject of shoeshines - but just one more comment - a big part of it was when they snapped that rag and it made a loud noise - wow - you then knew you were getting sevice from a true pro

the early very soft softcore mens magazines didn't actually show all of the goodies - they just got close to them

age 12 I used to scope them out at the magazine rack at the local drugstore - except the Manager chased me away - but I kept coming back - and eventually she gave up

DRich
DRich
September 16th, 2022 at 4:00:49 PM permalink

link to original post

I wore a pair of shoes for the first time in 9 months last week. i wear sandals 99% of the time.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 16th, 2022 at 4:43:34 PM permalink

link to original post

I wore a pair of shoes for the first time in 9 months last week. i wear sandals 99% of the time.
link to original post

Feet too swollen to fit into regular shoes, huh. My brother had that problem too much salt in his diet. My brother is like you he's racked up $300,000 in hospital bills in the last 2 years. He's there right now getting out tomorrow going to cost $70,000. All because he did not take care of himself he drank and ate anything he felt like, he would not know a fresh vegetable if you hit him in the face with one. I'm seven years older than him and have not been in the hospital since I was born.
DRich
DRich
September 16th, 2022 at 4:56:32 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Feet too swollen to fit into regular shoes, huh. My brother had that problem too much salt in his diet. My brother is like you he's racked up $300,000 in hospital bills in the last 2 years. He's there right now getting out tomorrow going to cost $70,000. All because he did not take care of himself he drank and ate anything he felt like, he would not know a fresh vegetable if you hit him in the face with one. I'm seven years older than him and have not been in the hospital since I was born.
link to original post

No, my feet are not swollen. My back surgery alone was close to $300,000. I have no idea the total for my 25 surgeries. thankfully I have always had health insurance.
rxwine
rxwine
September 16th, 2022 at 6:17:05 PM permalink
`
`
I have to say, a good leather shoe is really comfortable unless you have bad GOUT!

Although I haven't worn good ones in years, but not because I have GOUT!
DRich
DRich
September 16th, 2022 at 6:22:46 PM permalink

`
`
I have to say, a good leather shoe is really comfortable unless you have bad GOUT!

Although I haven't worn good ones in years, but not because I have GOUT!
link to original post

I was always too cheap to buy good expensive shoes. I found a brand I liked, Steve Madden, and they were usually less than $100. Not great shoes but pretty good for $100.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 17th, 2022 at 12:27:14 AM permalink

Charles Atlas was a major influencer of young dudes (including me) who wanted to get ripped to shreds

Jack Lallane was a secondary figure - more about fitness then big muscles

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 17, 2022
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
September 17th, 2022 at 12:23:22 PM permalink

You have obviously never shined shoes before because it's not easy at all to do it correctly. And it's a messy pain in the butt. It was also started in the days when absolutely everybody wore leather shoes which gradually phased out after the 1950s. These days almost nobody wears leather shoes anymore comparatively.
link to original post

Shining shoes is very easy. Not messy. The only time I’ve paid for a shine was when I was traveling for an extended period

Are you sure nobody wears leather shoes anymore? On the Ferragamo site, almost 90% (180 of 202) of the men’s shoes listed are leather.

https://www.ferragamo.com/shop/us/en/men/shoes-1?filter=true
It’s all about making that GTA
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 17th, 2022 at 1:28:55 PM permalink

link to original post

Shining shoes is very easy. Not messy. The only time I’ve paid for a shine was when I was traveling for an extended period

Are you sure nobody wears leather shoes anymore? On the Ferragamo site, almost 90% (180 of 202) of the men’s shoes listed are leather.

https://www.ferragamo.com/shop/us/en/men/shoes-1?filter=true
link to original post

If you do it correctly it's not easy at all. I was in the ROTC in high school for a while and we had to spit shine our shoes so you can see yourself in them there is nothing easy about it. You don't actually use spit but it's a long messy process.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 20th, 2022 at 2:33:05 AM permalink

these were the sneaks you had to have in my day - if you played any kind of ball where you didn't wear cleats
Pro-Keds were the only serious competitor and I don't believe they were really even close
Chuck Taylor's Converse All Stars - we called 'em Chucks
I was all about the white high tops
the star over the ankle was so very, very cool_________you didn't get that star if you bought the low tops - so I was like - no way

they were nowhere even remotely close to the quality of today's sneaks
but - NBA players wore these same sneaks for a very, very long time

Tree Rollins is believed to be the last player wearing these shoes in the NBA - which he did during the '79 - '80 season

the back in the day Boston Celtics (see pic) wore them in black - they were the only NBA team I ever recall doing that
you can see that their shoes had stripes on the sides - I never noticed that before - I don't think that was sold to the general public
probably some special deal that Red Auerbach got from Converse

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 20, 2022
DRich
DRich
September 20th, 2022 at 5:00:46 AM permalink

these were the sneaks you had to have in my day - if you played any kind of ball where you didn't wear cleats
Pro-Keds were the only serious competitor and I don't believe they were really even close

Growing up in the 1970's and 1980's I don't ever remember people ever discussing their shoes or brands. I grew up wearing those Converse you call "Chuck's" but to me and my friends they were just shoes. I don't ever remember any difference of the cheap shoes versus the more expensive shoes. People just wore shoes. We did wear different cleats for organized baseball, football, and wrestling.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 20th, 2022 at 6:37:32 AM permalink

Growing up in the 1970's and 1980's I don't ever remember people ever discussing their shoes or brands. I grew up wearing those Converse you call "Chuck's" but to me and my friends they were just shoes. I don't ever remember any difference of the cheap shoes versus the more expensive shoes. People just wore shoes. We did wear different cleats for organized baseball, football, and wrestling.
link to original post

I don't know if you played playground hoops

but if I a guy showed up at the hoops playground - and he wasn't wearing Chucks - 95% chance he wasn't tough - at least in the DC area

I'm talking about serious hoops - on courts where one or two Division 1 NCAA players that averaged about 18 per game were likely to show up

and players like that would sometimes get beat and beat bad by playground nobodies

almost everybody who saw himself as being a player wore them - maybe your area of the country was different

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 20, 2022
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 20th, 2022 at 9:16:48 AM permalink
Those canvas sneakers we're the most uncomfortable shoes I ever wore in my life because the canvas stretched and they never fit right. And they were heavy. And they were cheaply made, I hated them. People don't realize in the fifties and sixties all these modern shoes didn't exist. You either wore canvas sneakers or leather shoes there's nothing in between. And we had a dress code in high school you couldn't wear these shoes to school. Boys had to wear shirt with a collar and slacks no blue jeans. And girls had to wear a dress or a skirt. The year after I graduated they dropped the dress code and things went downhill fast as far as discipline went. When I was in school if your hair touched the top of your ears you got sent home. If you disrupted your classroom in any fashion you got kicked out of school for three days. I have an old friend who taught High School in the 1960s through 2005 and he said everything went to hell in the late 70s and never got better. Kids could get away with bloody murder in the classroom and there was nothing you could do about it.
rxwine
rxwine
September 20th, 2022 at 10:08:35 AM permalink
I think my oldest brother had Buster Brown shoes. I seem to remember Kinney shoes, which apparently spun off eventually to Foot Locker and some other brands. I don’t think I ever owned KEDs but I seem to remember them.

Are basketball shoes still called high tops?

What was the name of the foot measuring device? That was for hard sole shoes. I didn’t look it up, just wondering if anyone knows from memory.

I think AL Bundy was the only regular character on sitcoms who sold shoes.
  • Jump to: