Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
September 24th, 2021 at 2:56:24 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I recently attended a sales pitch for an automatic pizza machine. You supposedly can order via internet and the machine adds your toppings, cooks the pie in under two minutes, slices it( 8 or 16), boxes it and puts it in a warming dish that the buyer gets a code to access. The company thinks it can be the next Redbox. I was interested until they couldn't answer a few basic questions, and the ptch got very aggressive.

• link to original post

Sounds like a case if "Just because you can does not mean you should."

Why would I order pizza from a vending machine online when there is probably a choice of pizza places that will make a better pie? I can see the novelty, I can see it maybe making it in Japan where they are nuts for vending machines. But there is no way it will be much different than making a frozen pizza from the store.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    rxwine
    rxwine
    • Threads: 213
    September 24th, 2021 at 6:47:52 AM permalink
    The door to door vacuum sales could return some day. Except it will be a Roomba outside.
    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 24th, 2021 at 8:30:07 AM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

I recently attended a sales pitch for an automatic pizza machine. You supposedly can order via internet and the machine adds your toppings, cooks the pie in under two minutes, slices it( 8 or 16), boxes it and puts it in a warming dish that the buyer gets a code to access. The company thinks it can be the next Redbox. I was interested until they couldn't answer a few basic questions, and the ptch got very aggressive.

• link to original post

Why would I order pizza from a vending machine online when there is probably a choice of pizza places that will make a better pie? I can see the novelty, I can see it maybe making it in Japan where they are nuts for vending machines. But there is no way it will be much different than making a frozen pizza from the store.
  • link to original post

The dough and the ingredients aren't frozen and the pizza was fairly good. It's also available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also place them in places like Little League fields, airports, hospital waiting rooms, college dorms,bowling alleys, movies etc, etc.
    I attended because I thought it was an idea with some legs but the people making the pitch didn't close the deal.
    In my town of Bisbee, as an example- there are 12 or 13 bars, but no place to eat after around 11PM. As most of the bars are located in the two block area of Brewery Gulch, I think a machine would do very well on that street. On Long Island, one in a parking lot of a train station could do well. Obviously that depends on the pie being more than some sauce on a piece of cardboard.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    gamerfreak
    gamerfreak
    • Threads: 57
    September 24th, 2021 at 9:02:16 AM permalink

• link to original post

• link to original post

The dough and the ingredients aren't frozen and the pizza was fairly good. It's also available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also place them in places like Little League fields, airports, hospital waiting rooms, college dorms,bowling alleys, movies etc, etc.
    I attended because I thought it was an idea with some legs but the people making the pitch didn't close the deal.
    In my town of Bisbee, as an example- there are 12 or 13 bars, but no place to eat after around 11PM. As most of the bars are located in the two block area of Brewery Gulch, I think a machine would do very well on that street. On Long Island, one in a parking lot of a train station could do well. Obviously that depends on the pie being more than some sauce on a piece of cardboard.
  • link to original post

I don’t hate the concept, and I really like vending machines. But I don’t think it’s something I’d ever invest in.

How long does it take to get your pizza after you order? Can it handle multiple orders at the same time? I can’t see it doing well in airports, malls, or train stations. However I could see it working in large hotels or large apartment complexes/dorms.

There is one Redbox, they have that dwindling market cornered. Yet a quick Google search shows at least 5 companies trying to sell these machines. But has anyone here even seen one of these in the wild?

I also imagine they are a nightmare to maintain with frequent downtime.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 24th, 2021 at 9:11:49 AM permalink
    It takes about two-three minutes from the order to the finished product unless there are multiple orders. I asked what happens when the slots are full and no one picks up. They didn't have an answer to that.
    I think they would do real well at train stations, both for people getting on the train to eat on it and people getting off to take home with them.
    I do think it can be successful, I'm just not sure this was the right company to do it. If they are right, they expect to place 3,000 machines in the next few years. I hope it works out, but it wasn't for me.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    • Threads: 441
    September 26th, 2021 at 1:26:34 AM permalink
    When we moved to the country in 1960 this was our phone for the first year. A candlestick dial phone. We thought nothing about it.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    • Threads: 16
    September 26th, 2021 at 3:42:46 PM permalink
    Just heard "Macarena" on the oldies station.

(sigh)
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    • Threads: 441
    October 3rd, 2021 at 4:41:24 PM permalink
    Remember when 'back in the day' meant 30 or 40 years ago? Now it seems to mean anything that happened before 2015. The phrase has become almost meaningless.
    "It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    • Threads: 60
    Thanked by
    Dieter
    October 3rd, 2021 at 4:48:23 PM permalink
    Quote: EvenBob

Remember when 'back in the day' meant 30 or 40 years ago? Now it seems to mean anything that happened before 2015. The phrase has become almost meaningless.

• link to original post

This post of yours is so 5 minutes ago.
    So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    October 5th, 2021 at 1:01:56 PM permalink
    Remember when you saw parents with their kids on leashes out in public? Does anyone still see it?

I don't know why it went away. Maybe other people shamed those doing it into thinking it was child abuse. Maybe they were hanging themselves, but I think those were chest collars, not neck collars.

IMO, It's child abuse to let your unruly kids run around.

And today, there was a little kid screaming so loud I could hear him clearly even though there were at least 6 aisles in the grocery store between us. And it went on for 10 minutes. This is why I think there should also be sound muffling hoods to put over their heads.
    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 5th, 2021 at 1:06:00 PM permalink
    Quote: rxwine

Remember when you saw parents with their kids on leashes out in public? Does anyone still see it?

I don't know why it went away. Maybe other people shamed those doing it into thinking it was child abuse. Maybe they were hanging themselves, but I think those were chest collars, not neck collars.

IMO, It's child abuse to let your unruly kids run around.

And today, there was a little kid screaming so loud I could hear him clearly even though there were at least 6 aisles in the grocery store between us. And it went on for 10 minutes. This is why I think there should also be sound muffling hoods to put over their heads.

• link to original post

Leashes were a good idea, can't say I saw a ton in the day though.

I remember once at Ponderosa (my dad liked it) some little black kid was just making noise. His mother (no dad) was just sitting there as if he was doing nothing. Some guy finally screamed HEY to get him to knock it off which he did. Then some other guy got on him as he thought he was talking to HIS kid.

I should have bought desert for the guy who yelled at the kid. Could not believe a mother would allow it. Can't believe a manager did not tell her to shut the kid up.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    • Threads: 232
    October 26th, 2021 at 3:15:28 PM permalink

the A&P Grocery stores______________at their peak - in the 1930s - they were the largest retailer in the world - they had $2.9 billion in yearly sales - roughly equal to $ 45 billion in today's dollars__________they had 16,000 stores

their decline began in the 50s but they were still a giant thru the 70s

I had a job in wholesale sales and I sold products to their stores

it's really strange to think that they don't exist anymore - it almost seems that except for my memory of them they really didn't exist - not true of course

but it's weird to think that young people today don't even know who the A&P was

here we go: The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 26, 2021
    Please don't feed the trolls
    ThatDonGuy
    ThatDonGuy
    • Threads: 117
    October 26th, 2021 at 3:21:57 PM permalink
    Quote: rxwine

Reminds me of something I saw in Bart Simpson's Guide to Life: parents who put their kids on leashes and yell "SIT!" and "STAY!" while they dress up their pets in human clothes and hold them in their arms while they call them things like "snookie-wookums."
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    • Threads: 16
    October 26th, 2021 at 5:17:16 PM permalink

Leashes were a good idea, can't say I saw a ton in the day though.
    link to original post

These days, they're usually integrated into a cute backpack.

There are probably safety breakaways on the leashes, and an additional proximity alarm available if the toddler gets more than 28 feet from the handler.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 27th, 2021 at 4:16:33 AM permalink
    Quote: lilredrooster

the A&P Grocery stores______________at their peak - in the 1930s - they were the largest retailer in the world - they had $2.9 billion in yearly sales - roughly equal to $ 45 billion in today's dollars__________they had 16,000 stores

their decline began in the 50s but they were still a giant thru the 70s

I had a job in wholesale sales and I sold products to their stores

it's really strange to think that they don't exist anymore - it almost seems that except for my memory of them they really didn't exist - not true of course

but it's weird to think that young people today don't even know who the A&P was

here we go: The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company

Their fall is an interesting business study. IIRC what started it was losing a CEO who had no good succession plan. People complain about CEO compensation, but the job requires real leadership and vision. The 16000 store count can be misleading as 10000 square feet was big then. Stores were blocks from each other, not yet "supermarkets."

What really did the in is they what I call "caught the best of the previous wave." IOW, they got things down cold but right when tech or the market changed everything. This happened with equipment where I once worked. But that was just a truck. This was the company. All those stores were about to be a liability as the market changed. Their private labels would be old school as people went to national brands. Strangely things are now going back to private labels. They had to close all those old stores and build bigger, new stores. Managers had to learn to work in bigger stores. It took 50 years for the collapse to be complete.

It is why I always told people do not fear Wal-Mart. In the 2000s I told people that WMT was then at their peak of power and things would start to change. As we have seen, it has started to happen. WMT will be with us for at least a generation but they do not have the stgranglehold they did in the 2000s.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    November 11th, 2021 at 2:43:35 AM permalink
    _________

Ledo Pizza is a chain restaurant only in the Maryland
    it's pizza is very good IMO - and it is very competitive in the pizza wars

but it's not quite as good as the original Ledo Pizza - in Adelphi, MD very close to U. of MD - I think because the original pizza joint had higher grade ovens

it opened in 1955 -

I don't know about that far back - but this is the amazing thing

in the 70s on a weekend - ​THERE WAS A LINE A WHOLE BLOCK LONG TO GET INTO THE JOINT - maybe 35 people would wait in the line for more than an hour EVEN IN FREEZING COLD WEATHER to get in - and the joint itself had about 25 tables - there was a separate but also very long line just to order carry out - you even had to wait in line just to pick up your carryout if you phoned in the order

I've never seen anything like that from any other restaurant - the closest I've ever seen is a short line to get into Cheesecake - not that close

of course, back then there weren't a great many pizza joints as there are now - but still - it was really something

AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    November 11th, 2021 at 3:09:18 AM permalink

_________

Ledo Pizza is a chain restaurant only in the Maryland
    it's pizza is very good IMO - and it is very competitive in the pizza wars

but it's not quite as good as the original Ledo Pizza - in Adelphi, MD very close to U. of MD - I think because the original pizza joint had higher grade ovens

it opened in 1955 -

I don't know about that far back - but this is the amazing thing

in the 70s on a weekend - ​THERE WAS A LINE A WHOLE BLOCK LONG TO GET INTO THE JOINT - maybe 35 people would wait in the line for more than an hour EVEN IN FREEZING COLD WEATHER to get in - and the joint itself had about 25 tables - there was a separate but also very long line just to order carry out - you even had to wait in line just to pick up your carryout if you phoned in the order

I've never seen anything like that from any other restaurant - the closest I've ever seen is a short line to get into Cheesecake - not that close

of course, back then there weren't a great many pizza joints as there are now - but still - it was really something

link to original post

Not that long of lines, but there was usually a line at Pizza Hut when I was a kid. There were way more restaurant lines then because there were fewer restaurants in the 70s. In the late 1990s I took my parents to Dinosaur BBQ and it was over an hour of a line. They thought I was nuts. That place was always busy.
    billryan
    billryan
    November 11th, 2021 at 5:38:40 AM permalink
    There is a pizza place under the Brooklyn bridge that routinely has an hour-long wait. It's almost all tourists and there is a place around the corner that is far superior and much cheaper. It just hasn't been featured on Sex in the City.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    November 11th, 2021 at 5:40:36 AM permalink

MLB players were really hot for chewing (chawin') tobacco

the commercial said "jus' put a pinch between your teeth and gums"

age 12 I went to a baseball camp run by 2 brothers who were scrub major leaguers

they used the junk - I asked them to let me try it - they let me

it was some kind of horrible

AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    November 11th, 2021 at 5:50:34 AM permalink

age 12 I went to a baseball camp run by 2 brothers who were scrub major leaguers

link to original post

When I was in high school that stuff was big and they were just starting to really warn kids not to do it. I did not need warned, I found it to be a totally disgusting habit and still do.
    ThatDonGuy
    ThatDonGuy
    November 11th, 2021 at 6:35:08 AM permalink

link to original post

Pedantic mode: the "just a pinch between your teeth and gums" isn't chewing tobacco, but Skoal. What baseball players used was actual chewing tobacco.

Not that high school baseball players weren't chewing tobacco, mind you. I seem to recall a spike in usage among high school softball players as well, although I think girls preferred Skoal/Copenhagen-style.

Anybody else remember "Big League Chew" (which, apparently, still exists) - originally, it was shredded bubble gum in a pouch similar to a chewing tobacco pouch?
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    November 11th, 2021 at 6:59:31 AM permalink

the most disgusting thing was when the ballplayers spit out that brown stream - of course you couldn't swallow it

as a kid I idolized major leaguers - they were like gods to me

I even thought that was so cool_____________________________________________(-:\

Joeman
    Joeman
    • Threads: 36
    November 11th, 2021 at 8:21:56 AM permalink
    Quote: ThatDonGuy

Anybody else remember "Big League Chew" (which, apparently, still exists) - originally, it was shredded bubble gum in a pouch similar to a chewing tobacco pouch?

Yes! I bought some once or twice as a kid in my little league days. IIRC, it was OK, but much more expensive than other bubble gum in the store.

I'm surprised that they still make it given how Captain Kangaroo** made them stop making candy/gum cigarettes a long time ago.

OK, there were others involved, too, but I remember Bob Keeshan, TV's Captain Kangaroo, doing commercials railing against candy cigarettes. I read that he also testified before Congress about the dangers of smoking.
    "Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
    MrV
    MrV
    • Threads: 364
    November 11th, 2021 at 8:54:30 AM permalink

I've never seen anything like that from any other restaurant - the closest I've ever seen is a short line to get into Cheesecake

The In 'n Out hamburger chain is a successful, popular fast food business that started in California but has been slow to expand; there's some in Nevada, and now there is one not terribly far from Portland, in Keizer, Oregon, near Salem.

It is visible when you drive by on I-5 southbound.

I've eaten their food in sin city and liked it a lot so I want to try the one in Keizer: problem is it is always packed.

Cars backed up through the parking lot, lines of people, crowds: so I never pull in to buy some.

Also Voodoo Donuts in stumptown often has long lines.
    Last edited by: MrV on Nov 11, 2021
    "What, me worry?"
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    November 15th, 2021 at 3:25:02 PM permalink

the Marlboro man

he was real - he was free - he wasn't a dork or a nerd

mcallister3200
    mcallister3200
    • Threads: 17
    November 15th, 2021 at 7:05:42 PM permalink

the Marlboro man

Looks like the rancher from Texas on Yellowstone show.

link to original post

AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    November 16th, 2021 at 2:58:21 AM permalink

the Marlboro man

And before him Marlboro was introduced as a women's cigarette. The brown filter was to conceal lipstick.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    November 16th, 2021 at 4:51:52 PM permalink
    Thursday is the 50th anniversary of the Egg McMuffin. I do remember when I ate my first one. I remember thinking I wasn't sure if I liked it or not.

Quote:

The 63 cent Egg McMuffin offer will only be available on the McDonald's app during breakfast hours (6 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.) on Thursday, November 18. Customers can order the breakfast sandwich, and any add-ons, for carry out, drive thru or dine-in at participating restaurant

lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    November 24th, 2021 at 9:46:53 AM permalink

Times Square in the 1970s

pre Viagra

billryan
    billryan
    November 24th, 2021 at 9:56:22 AM permalink

pre Viagra

link to original post

Pre-Disney is more like it.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    November 24th, 2021 at 10:16:23 AM permalink

pre Viagra

link to original post

link to original post

No, Pre-Rudy.
    billryan
    billryan
    November 24th, 2021 at 11:52:56 AM permalink

pre Viagra

link to original post

link to original post

No, Pre-Rudy.
    link to original post

Disney entered into negotiations with the city and state for a low-cost loan to develop Times Square before Rudy even announced he was running for mayor a second time after losing the first-time round. The deal was done and in place before Rudy won the rematch election. In any case, it was the loans from NY State that made the deal possible, not anything Rudy or Dinkins had much to do with.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    November 27th, 2021 at 2:38:01 AM permalink
    _________

best spoof of sports and sports broadcasters I've ever seen - not that there's been a lot of them - but still

lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    December 2nd, 2021 at 7:52:19 AM permalink

this is well before my time - 1946 - a menu from a local restaurant -
    I think there are probably a couple of members here who were toddlers when this was offered
    it offers an interesting take on inflation (to me anyway)
    you could get a fried half chicken with mashed potatoes and corn and for dessert a layer cake with ice cream and it all totals $1.25_____________(-:\
    actually, I would probably have been disappointed that they were out of a roast leg of lamb with dressing, diced carrots, celery and whipped potatoes costing $.75

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 2, 2021
    rxwine
    rxwine
    December 25th, 2021 at 1:13:07 PM permalink
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    January 15th, 2022 at 1:03:07 AM permalink

until June 1, 1980 TV went completely dark at midnight - the transmitter shut down

on that date CNN became the first to have a 24 hour broadcast - that's according to my google search - although I don't remember cable being widely available then, and I don't remember them at that time

I believe most of TV was dark after midnight thru the 80s but there were some exceptions

most of radio shut down too way back then but I can't remember when that changed

for a long time - if you were up after midnight - you could read a book - that's about all

Hunterhill
    Hunterhill
    • Threads: 53
    January 15th, 2022 at 2:21:36 AM permalink

until June 1, 1980 TV went completely dark at midnight - the transmitter shut down

on that date CNN became the first to have a 24 hour broadcast - that's according to my google search - although I don't remember cable being widely available then, and I don't remember them at that time

I believe most of TV was dark after midnight thru the 80s but there were some exceptions

most of radio shut down too way back then but I can't remember when that changed

for a long time - if you were up after midnight - you could read a book - that's about all

link to original post

Don’t forget in the 70’s Don Kirshner’s rock concert which started at 11:30 and went until 1 am. I remember that being such a big deal to stay up that late as a teenager.
    The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
    ChumpChange
    ChumpChange 
    • Threads: 115
    January 15th, 2022 at 3:52:24 AM permalink
    At sunset the distant power AM radio stations came in better and the local stations reduced their power so they didn't come in so good. I'm 250+ miles from NYC and I used to listen to WABC at night when it was Top 40. I think around 1982 it just stopped playing music like it was the death of rock and roll.

Especially in the afternoons and evenings, WABC was the station that teenagers could be heard listening to on transistor radios all over the New York metropolitan area. Due to its strong signal, the station could be heard easily over 100 miles away, including the Catskill and Pocono Mountains, and through much of Connecticut and Rhode Island. After sunset, when AM radio waves travel farther, WABC's signal could be picked up around much of the Eastern U.S. and Canada. Bruce Morrow often spoke about how he felt an almost psychic bond to his young listeners.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WABC_(AM)

Listeners had moved on to FM radio and cassette tapes in the late '70's and early '80's.
    Last edited by: ChumpChange on Jan 15, 2022
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    January 15th, 2022 at 4:29:49 AM permalink

link to original post

It was later than midnight. Stations went to 1-2 AM or so. No set time. They came back on at 5-5:30 or so. Weekends they went later with a "late show." I do not think CNN was the first. ESPN went on the air in 1979.

I remember and wish I had saved an article in the late 1970s about the coming cable revolution. Discussed maybe 30 possible cable channel ideas. They were so specialized you could not imagine a channel of just news or weather.
    ChumpChange
    ChumpChange 
    • Threads: 115
    January 15th, 2022 at 5:06:20 AM permalink
    There's ATSC 3.0 TV but I've only heard about it on YouTube. No TV's have the new tuners yet, but the tuners are sold separately for $200 (HD Home Run Flex NextGen TV 4K at WalMart).

2 days ago: Every new 2022 TV with ATSC 3.0: Get ready for free NextGen TV broadcasts
    https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/every-new-2022-tv-with-atsc-3-0-get-ready-for-free-next-gen-tv-broadcasts/

NextGen TV outlook for 2022
    There are two main issues with ATSC 3.0 in the US. The first is the lack of coverage in some of the country's biggest TV markets, including San Francisco, Chicago and New York City. The second is a lack of content. While the format promises 4K resolution and features like interactive gambling, these are largely yet to be implemented. Because the service is still maturing and depends on support from broadcasters, most areas still receive only 1080p signals. With budget-friendly devices and more coverage areas on their way, we may find that over the next few years ATSC 3.0 could finally live up to its cord-cutting potential.

I live nowhere near a TV station so I will miss out unless I get relocated to a better spot.
    billryan
    billryan
    January 15th, 2022 at 7:25:15 AM permalink

link to original post

I guess that depended on where you lived. In NY television didn't go off the air at midnight. We had the late movie and the late late movie as well as some quirky late night television shows. I remember the first show that aired every day was the farm report.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    January 15th, 2022 at 9:08:26 AM permalink
    ___________-

this was the image displayed on your TV when it went dark - pretty weird - later when color TV came it was the same image in color

it's called the Television Test Pattern Royalty Free Vector Image

ThatDonGuy
    ThatDonGuy
    January 15th, 2022 at 9:30:21 AM permalink

Throughout most, if not all, of the 1970s, NBC stations aired The Tonight Show until 1 AM, and then Tomorrow (with Tom Snyder) until 2, except on Fridays, when Burt Sugarman's Midnight Special ran from 1 to 2:30. On Saturday nights, "The Best of The Tonight Show" aired until 1 (until Johnny Carson switched to working 4 days a week, at which time the reruns moved to Monday and NBC's Saturday Night (later called Saturday Night Live) started, with Weekend airing once a month, presumably as it was just too hard for the SNL writers to write four shows in four weeks. ABC counterprogrammed with Wide World of Entertainment, a 90-minute block of various shows, which also ran until 1; in San Francisco at least, that's when the ABC station went off the air.

As for cable TV, it was installed where I lived in the early 1970s, but was limited to 12 stations (there was no box; there was a device that converted the coax to antenna hookups, and you hooked that up to the TV's VHF Antenna input), which were all Northern California broadcast stations. For the most part, there were "standard" assignments; for example, in the San Francisco Bay Area, UHF channels 36 and 44 were cable channels 6 and 12, and they are still there 60 years later. It wasn't universal by any means; in the early 1980s, my college dormatory didn't have cable hookups to the rooms, although there might have been connections to the "common areas" on each floor.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    January 15th, 2022 at 9:48:16 AM permalink

yeah, I forgot about that - UHF added stations - I can't remember exactly when - the first UHF station in the DC area was channel 20 which was mostly comedies and movies IIRC - then came channel 26 which was WETA - educational TV - according to a google search it first aired in 1961 - but probably not everywhere

I remember when UHF first came you had to play with the antenna to get a good signal_____________(-:\

before UHF we only got ABC, CBS and NBC - I'm thinking that was the 50s and some of the 60s

at some point they started to offer shows later than midnight - it might have been a response to competition from UHF

rxwine
    rxwine
    Thanked by
    EdCollins
    February 4th, 2022 at 9:05:54 PM permalink
    In the early days of chess computer programs did you ever leave it on all night, just to see what move it would come up with? I don't even know with some of those early programs, if it was really doing anything after a certain point.

I remember trying to play a whole game like that with a stand-alone chess board, and about halfway, the program crashed. It had played for like 10 days.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    February 5th, 2022 at 4:28:23 AM permalink

___________-

this was the image displayed on your TV when it went dark - pretty weird - later when color TV came it was the same image in color

it's called the Television Test Pattern Royalty Free Vector Image

link to original post

No. This played a few minutes before sign on and after sign off. They did not waste electricity to beam a test pattern all night. They varied, some had the local call numbers and a local image. This one looks like something for calibrating the cameras or other equipment. In the real early days they broadcast test patterns in the day for TV repairmen to use fixing sets. Another version has an Indian head at the top.

To the earlier post, yes, it would depend on where you lived. NYC stations still had enough viewers to sell ads late at night. You might see an ad for Morrie's Wigs that don't come off or something. In Canton, OH, not enough of that to make it worth transmitting.

In the 1990s, WQEX in Pittsburgh still signed off, they had lots of fun with it. Most stations played the National Anthem at sign off (and on) back in the day. Not this group. Here is a bunch of them,

TigerWu
    TigerWu
    • Threads: 26
    February 5th, 2022 at 9:46:28 AM permalink

I remember when UHF first came you had to play with the antenna to get a good signal_____________(-:\

You still have to do this with over-the-air channels. I've got rabbit ears on both TVs in my house.
    billryan
    billryan
    February 5th, 2022 at 10:02:25 AM permalink
    In the early 60s, we came home from Japan and lived in NY Harbor for two years. We brought back this huge television cabinet that also had a stereo and phonograph in it.
    For some reason, we were able to pick up channel 3 from Connecticut where no one else's tv did. This was huge because channel 2 only showed NY Giants road games while #3 showed home and away games. A few Sundays a year, our living room turned into an NCO club as dozens of my Dads coworkers would jam into our living room to see the game.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    February 5th, 2022 at 11:17:57 AM permalink

in the mid 80s my set and 2 other sets from my friends picked up a faint, fuzzy UHF channel that had softcore porn on it

I have no idea why - at that time no porn was allowed on TV - except possibly on cable which was new to many and many didn't have it yet - and none of the 3 of us had it

the channel never identified itself - you would get a fuzzy picture of some bouncing Ta Tas

the 3 of us got a good laugh out of it

AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    February 5th, 2022 at 12:13:46 PM permalink

in the mid 80s my set and 2 other sets from my friends picked up a faint, fuzzy UHF channel that had softcore porn on it

I have no idea why - at that time no porn was allowed on TV - except possibly on cable which was new to many and many didn't have it yet - and none of the 3 of us had it

the channel never identified itself - you would get a fuzzy picture of some bouncing Ta Tas

the 3 of us got a good laugh out of it

link to original post

Were you in an apartment building with cable? I had a TV that if you put it near the coax it got a faint HBO signal.
    • Jump to: