reno
reno
Joined: Jan 20, 2010
  • Threads: 124
  • Posts: 721
October 24th, 2011 at 12:41:21 PM permalink
"One of the things that I will talk about that no president has talked about before is I think the dangers of contraception in this country, the sexual liberty idea and many in the Christian faith have said, you know contraception is OK. It's not OK because it's a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be." -Rick Santorum in Des Moines, IA on Oct 17, 2011. (The quote is at the 17:48 mark in this video.)

He's either trying to sell books, or he's trying to get his own talk show on Fox News, but he's not serious about running for president. (His previous Fox News gig was just as a contributor, not a host.)

A politician who is serious about running for president does not insult the 99% of American women under the age of 44 who have used contraceptives. A politician who is serious about running for president does not insult the husbands and boyfriends of the 99% of American women who have used contraceptives. It's rude.

How's he going to convince any moderates or independents to vote for him?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 219
  • Posts: 11260
October 24th, 2011 at 2:42:30 PM permalink
I have liked many of his ideas in the past, espically the one where he said we do not need "job skill training" provided at government because we already have places like Wal-Mart and McDonald's that teach coming to work clean, on time, and sober along with treating customers right so why have a program for it.

But I never felt he thought of himeslf as a serious candidate. I think he may be looking at a VP slot or some cabinent post. He is a young guy so needs to remind people he is available.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 161
  • Posts: 9206
October 24th, 2011 at 5:55:39 PM permalink
I'm sure every single candidate secretly hopes they will catch fire with the public. (but not literally)

Michelle Bachmann probably would like to kick Perry in the groin. She was at her highest point winning that straw poll over all her rivals and Perry entered the race and stole all the oxygen on nearly the same day.

(the news media just ran to follow Perry's cowboy parade)

Then Perry somehow managed to stumble shortly out of the gate. Adding insult to injury. Not that she likely had a chance, but still.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
October 25th, 2011 at 7:28:40 AM permalink
Quote: reno

How's he going to convince any moderates or independents to vote for him?



He has a long list of comments that make him virtually anethema to most of the population. People like this run to improve their recognition level.

He served two terms as a Representative, two terms as a Senator, and then was defeated by the largest percentage of the population in 26 years. He has no political future, and is improving his status as a Fox News star.
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
October 25th, 2011 at 7:28:58 AM permalink
Quote: reno

How's he going to convince any moderates or independents to vote for him?



He has a long list of comments that make him virtually anethema to most of the population. People like this run to improve their recognition level.

He served two terms as a Representative, two terms as a Senator, and then was defeated by the largest percentage of the population in 26 years. He has no political future, and is improving his status as a Fox News star.
reno
reno
Joined: Jan 20, 2010
  • Threads: 124
  • Posts: 721
January 3rd, 2012 at 8:25:59 PM permalink
Much to my surprise, Mr. Santorum had a great day today in the Hawkeye state. Apparently Iowa's Republicans either: A) hate birth control, or B) are hypocrites.

Congratulations, Rick!
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
January 4th, 2012 at 1:18:45 AM permalink
I still think that supporters of extreme candidates know that Iowa is the place to try and make their candidate get the attention they want. I see Iowa as a clear victory for Romney (despite the virtually tied vote). Of the centrist candidate he beat Gingrich and Perry. Santorum and Ron Paul will get some media attention now, but so will their outrageous statements. Huntsman should quit now.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 219
  • Posts: 11260
January 4th, 2012 at 5:41:20 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I still think that supporters of extreme candidates know that Iowa is the place to try and make their candidate get the attention they want. I see Iowa as a clear victory for Romney (despite the virtually tied vote). Of the centrist candidate he beat Gingrich and Perry. Santorum and Ron Paul will get some media attention now, but so will their outrageous statements. Huntsman should quit now.



What is extreme about Santorum? Please cite some statements or positions.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
reno
reno
Joined: Jan 20, 2010
  • Threads: 124
  • Posts: 721
January 4th, 2012 at 10:25:55 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

What is extreme about Santorum? Please cite some statements or positions.



Santorum actually has an opinion about whether my wife and I use contraceptives. As I mentioned in the first post of this thread, he considers contraceptives "dangerous" and "not OK". That's extreme.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 219
  • Posts: 11260
January 5th, 2012 at 4:49:50 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Santorum actually has an opinion about whether my wife and I use contraceptives. As I mentioned in the first post of this thread, he considers contraceptives "dangerous" and "not OK". That's extreme.



Having "an opinion" is extreme? Given that several contraceptives have been pulled from the market over the years some people can natually be expected to think they are dangerous. Has he tried to ban them? If not then I would file it under "opinions-everybody has them."

If that is the worst about him we would be pretty well off if he were elected. Better than the current administration that wants me to help pay for those contraceptives and in fact has forced me to do so.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

  • Jump to: