reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
January 5th, 2012 at 11:26:27 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I would file it under "opinions-everybody has them."

He's entitled to his opinion. And I'm entitled to label his opinion wacko crazy extreme. It is wacko crazy extreme to criticize responsible adults for using birth control.

Better than the current administration that wants me to help pay for those contraceptives and in fact has forced me to do so.

Would the taxpayer benefit if every woman on welfare was using birth control? Would the taxpayer benefit if there were fewer children attending public schools?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
January 6th, 2012 at 3:33:47 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Would the taxpayer benefit if every woman on welfare was using birth control? Would the taxpayer benefit if there were fewer children attending public schools?

Aint the question. Birth control is not something "insurance" should be paying for. If someone wants to use it the need to open their wallet and use it, not expect their health insurance to cover it.

We have a method of controling the "poor woman on welfare having kids" problem that is proven to work. It is the "family cap" or IOW no more raises in welfare when you have more kids. It is amazing how people seem to become more responsible when it is their wallet they have to open.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
only1choice
only1choice
  • Threads: 59
January 7th, 2012 at 8:02:36 AM permalink

As I mentioned in the first post of this thread, he considers contraceptives "dangerous" and "not OK". That's extreme.

Check out this online dictionary www.wordnik.com

Look up santorum!
IF YOU PLAY "PLAY TO WIN"
reno
reno
February 21st, 2012 at 9:02:59 PM permalink

Given that several contraceptives have been pulled from the market over the years some people can natually be expected to think they are dangerous. Has he tried to ban them?

I am surprised to learn that not only has Santorum not tried to ban contraceptives, he's done the opposite: as a Senator he voted for Title X, which provides government subsidies for birth control. I think it's weird that Santorum has criticized people who use birth control while simultaneously spending my taxdollars to give away free birth control. But maybe I ought to applaud the guy for separating his personal values from his Senate voting record.

The funny thing about this race is that Romney is criticized for being a flip-flopping chameleon for his inconsistent record on abortion, while Santorum has been praised for his consistency on abortion. But this is unfair to Romney! In 1995 Santorum told Philadelphia Magazine that he was pro-choice all his life until he ran for Congress... and then he changed his mind.
klimate10
klimate10
  • Threads: 35
February 22nd, 2012 at 11:05:53 PM permalink
Rick Santorum is not running for President. He is trying to win GOP nomination, so that he can hand the Presidency to Obama for 4 more years.

Right after he accepts the nomination at the Republican convention, he is going to use the word, "Macaca". I saw the script.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 23rd, 2012 at 7:11:46 AM permalink
Santorum delenda est
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
mike650i
mike650i
  • Threads: 0
February 23rd, 2012 at 10:24:57 PM permalink
Quote: klimate10

Rick Santorum is not running for President. He is trying to win GOP nomination, so that he can hand the Presidency to Obama for 4 more years.

Right after he accepts the nomination at the Republican convention, he is going to use the word, "Macaca". I saw the script.

Haha, yeah pretty much. Santorum winning the nomination is Obama's wet dream.

Perry would have been even more ideal, but the GOP base isn't THAT dumb.
reno
reno
February 29th, 2012 at 3:42:11 PM permalink

What is extreme about Santorum? Please cite some statements or positions.

Santorum recently criticized Obama for encouraging Americans to go to college. It's hard to believe that he would say such a weird thing, and it makes me very sad to watch his audience applaud him. There was a time in American history when Republicans valued higher education, now they mock it.

Apparently Santorum's concern is that colleges will indoctrinate our gullible children and make 'em librul. That's an insult to the kids. I knew plenty of bright, hard-working conservatives in college and they turned out just fine. Santorum himself has a bachelor's degree and two post graduate degrees, I hope he's not ashamed of his own education.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
February 29th, 2012 at 5:37:04 PM permalink

Santorum recently criticized Obama for encouraging Americans to go to college. It's hard to believe that he would say such a weird thing, and it makes me very sad to watch his audience applaud him. There was a time in American history when Republicans valued higher education, now they mock it.

He was more saying that not everyone needs to go or should even go. What with about 20% of students not coming back for sophmore year and a little over 50% graduating he has a point, lots of money is wasted there. Then look at the OWS loons with all the liberal art degrees that they are saying they "can't get a job with their degree" and it is a waste for even more. So perhaps Slick Rick has something there?

I knew a guy went to college, dropped out second semester. Later learned a trade and did fantastic. College is not only not for everybody, it is not even for the majority.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
February 29th, 2012 at 5:47:36 PM permalink

What is extreme about Santorum? Please cite some statements or positions.

1. “In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That’s not to pick on homosexuality. It’s not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be.” —Rick Santorum , speaking to a reporter in 2003, who said, "I’m sorry, I didn’t think I was going to talk about ‘man on dog’ with a United States senator, it’s sort of freaking me out.”

2. "One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country.... Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that's okay, contraception is okay. It's not okay. It's a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be." —Rick Santorum, interview with CaffeinatedThoughts.com (October 2011)

3. "I don't want to make black people's lives better by giving them somebody else's money; I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn the money." —Rick Santorum, campaigning for president in Iowa (January 2012)

4. "President Obama wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob ... Oh, I understand why he wants you to go to college. He wants to remake you in his image.” –Rick Santorum, speaking to a Tea Party group in Michigan (February 2012)

5. “Earlier in my political career, I had the opportunity to read the speech, and I almost threw up.” –Rick Santorum, on JFK's 1960 speech about the importance of separation of church and state (October 2011)

6. "The question is — and this is what Barack Obama didn't want to answer — is that human life a person under the Constitution? And Barack Obama says no. Well if that person — human life is not a person, then — I find it almost remarkable for a black man to say, 'We're going to decide who are people and who are not people.'" —Rick Santorum, CNS News interview (January 2011)

7. “I think the Democrats are actually worried he (Obama) may go to Indonesia and bow to more Muslims.” –Rick Santorum, Fox News interview (May 2010)

8. “[Gay marriage] is an issue just like 9-11... We didn't decide we wanted to fight the war on terrorism because we wanted to. It was brought to us. And if not now, when? When the supreme courts in all the other states have succumbed to the Massachusetts version of the law?” –Rick Santorum, interview with the Allentown Morning Call (February 2004)

9. "Is anyone saying same-sex couples can't love each other? I love my children. I love my friends, my brother. Heck, I even love my mother-in-law. Should we call these relationships marriage, too?" –Rick Santorum, in a Philadelphia Inquirer column (May 2008)

10. "The idea that the Crusades and the fight of Christendom against Islam is somehow an aggression on our part is absolutely anti-historical. And that is what the perception is by the American Left who hates Christendom. ... What I'm talking about is onward American soldiers. What we're talking about are core American values." –Rick Santorum, campaigning for president in South Carolina (February 2011)

Bonus quotes:

"The reason Social Security is in big trouble is we don't have enough workers to support the retirees. Well, a third of all the young people in America are not in America today because of abortion.” –Rick Santorum, during a Republican presidential debate (May 2011)

“You can say I’m a hater. But I would argue I’m a lover. I’m a lover of traditional families and of the right of children to have a mother and father… I would argue that the future of America hangs in the balance, because the future of the family hangs in the balance. Isn’t that the ultimate homeland security, standing up and defending marriage?” –Rick Santorum, quoted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (July 2004)

“We have brave men and women who are willing to step forward because they know what’s at stake. They’re willing to sacrifice their lives for this great country. What I’m asking all of you tonight is not to put on a uniform. Put on a bumper sticker. Is it that much to ask? Is it that much to ask to step up and serve your country?” —Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA), during his losing 2006 re-election bid, urging supporters to put a Rick Santorum bumper sticker on their cars
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.

• Jump to: