avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
May 2nd, 2011 at 8:27:41 AM permalink
I am conspiritist either, nor am I a Rob Singer fan, but we did debate here for weeks about his claims. I would think that most of the minds on this forum would want a little proof.

Hell, just last week half of the US thought Obama was from someplace other, now we will all believe what he says. Perhaps we all want the news so bad we will take it at face value.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
avargov
avargov
May 2nd, 2011 at 8:48:51 AM permalink
Wiz, and others, I hear what you are saying. But we had the body, we threw it overboard, and we couldn't take a couple of snapshots? When Saddam. was dragged out of his hole, he was paraded around like a jumbo prize won at the carnival. It just all seems too tidy for me. If we got him, thank God, or whoever, but if we didn't... At least now we can leave Afghanistan with a victory unlike the Soviets. And of course Leon will have no problem becoming SoD now.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 2nd, 2011 at 8:57:48 AM permalink
Quote: avargov

But we had the body, we threw it overboard, and we couldn't take a couple of snapshots?

I shouldn't even bother responding, but we probably did take lots of pictures. However, it wouldn't be dignified to release them to the public. It would come off as grotesque, perverse, and undignified. Go ahead and believe the whole thing was a conspiracy to boost morale; I don't really care. I do think that such fringe opinions belong in the Free Speech Zone, and ask that you continue with this topic there.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
avargov
avargov
May 2nd, 2011 at 9:12:39 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I shouldn't even bother responding, but we probably did take lots of pictures. However, it wouldn't be dignified to release them to the public. It would come off as grotesque, perverse, and undignified. Go ahead and believe the whole thing was a conspiracy to boost morale; I don't really care.

That isn't really what I am saying. You, and many others here, require proof on most claims. And yet, on this particular issue, we aren't requiring any at all. We are just taking what they say at face value.

And about the DNA, when did we ever have Bin Laden in custody to get a sample to compare this one to?

And just to answer any further questions, I do not generally take our government at it's word. I worked for them too, with a secret clearence.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 2nd, 2011 at 9:22:39 AM permalink

That isn't really what I am saying. You, and many others here, require proof on most claims. And yet, on this particular issue, we aren't requiring any at all. We are just taking what they say at face value.

There is such a thing as trust.

But if Obama were to publish a book on his system to kill bin Laden, I wouldn't buy it without evidence. Happy?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 2nd, 2011 at 9:23:41 AM permalink
In case anyone is wondering, this is a split-off from the thread Reports Coming In Saying Bin Laden Is Dead....

All fringe political opinions should be put in the Free Speech Zone to begin with.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 2nd, 2011 at 9:49:15 AM permalink

And about the DNA, when did we ever have Bin Laden in custody to get a sample to compare this one to?

And just to answer any further questions, I do not generally take our government at it's word. I worked for them too, with a secret clearence.

About the DNA: I think they did a familial test. The body is a sibling match to OBL's sister, and his other siblings are all accounted for, so the body is OBL.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Virgi
Virgi
  • Threads: 0
May 2nd, 2011 at 9:55:24 AM permalink
In this time of all the political crap in this country, who really knows if Obama didn't just concoct all this to take all the economic heat off his administration and hope his approval rating would skyrocket? It fits Chicago thug politics to a tee, willing to risk everything for the end goal. Nothing can be proven, they've certainly made sure of that with their hasty "burial at sea" that Obama says was only done because of "Muslim requirements".

How long before some friend of Bin Laden comes out and says he's still alive or posts a video of him holding today's newspaper? Anything can be faked. It's left up to us what to believe. Right now we all overwhelmingly want to believe the coward is dead.
Virgi
Virgi
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:00:25 AM permalink

This is a very good point. Somewhere in here there's a thread that has atheists saying up and down that they will not believe in there being a God unless they were shown actual proof. Now all of a sudden the Devil-on-Earth is said to have been killed and drowned into the sea, and it is somehow accepted as fact without any proof, in fact, we're told this tale by one of the most prolific thin-skinned liars in modern political history.

Support please.
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:07:32 AM permalink
I think Bin Laden was seen sneaking around outside the gates at Graceland last night. I have no proof.
kp
kp
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:09:09 AM permalink
Quote: Virgi

we're told this tale by one of the most prolific thin-skinned liars in modern political history.

Oh, come on, Fox News is not that bad, even if they did report last night that Obama was dead.
dlevinelaw
dlevinelaw
  • Threads: 15
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:14:54 AM permalink
Trying to look at it logically:

The burial at sea thing seems to be holding up a lot of people's belief in how genuine the take-down was.

My instincts tell me though that by stating he was buried at sea, the U.S. government can essentially do whatever they want to with the body: bury it at sea, traditional burial, keep it, autopsy it, etc. By stating there is no body left, they may (at least in theory) free themselves from the scrutiny of not promptly burying it or having to account for where the body is.

By doing it this way, they can theoretically do whatever they want, so I think it makes sense.
Virgi
Virgi
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:23:21 AM permalink
Quote: dlevinelaw

By doing it this way, they can theoretically do whatever they want, so I think it makes sense.

The key, of course, being "whatever they want". As in from the get-go.

It wouldn't surprise probably a majority of people in this country if Obama lied about this just as he's lied about all those charasmatic things he'd do as president during his "campaign of lies". He's really a pathological liar, and it shows in the way he says one thing into the camera via his precious teleprompters, then piles on the bullshit off them.
Nareed
Nareed
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:25:54 AM permalink
Quote: dlevinelaw

Trying to look at it logically:

The burial at sea thing seems to be holding up a lot of people's belief in how genuine the take-down was.

Sure. The logical thing would have been to chop up the body and feed it to a bunch of pigs. but that might constitute animal abuse, and so...

What else are you going to do? Give the body to the family and they'll bury it somewhere. That creates a shrine where his deranged followers can rally, if they don't outright loot the grave and scatter "relics" of bin laden all over the world. So you dispose of the body somehow. Throwing it to the sea is one way. They might have also cremated the body and thrown the ashes into the sea. But then you'd find enterprising lunatics selling any kind of ash as bin Laden "relics," too.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:34:46 AM permalink
bin Laden could have made lots of videos in preparation for such a time. You know, where he talks about things in the future as if he's still alive, but vaguely enough that you can't pin him down (somewhat like fortune tellers). I'd give him credit for possibly being sly enough to think of that. But we'll see.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:36:41 AM permalink
I think the burial at sea is supposed to be a compromise between mutilation and familial return. We want to cut OBL's face into pieces, but that offends the religion of his (relatively innocent) family. They want the body back, but that is unacceptable to the U.S. Government. So the solution is to dispose of the body, intact, in a neutral location.

I have to think that the story being reported is at least mostly true. This is not the opportune time for The Big O to get the bump this'll bring, and if OBL is still alive and able to embarrass our government he now has the mother of all openings to do so.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:39:28 AM permalink
Quote: kp

I think Bin Laden was seen sneaking around outside the gates at Graceland last night. I have no proof.

I thought I saw him at my meeting of the Flat Earth Society yesterday. I'm a member because I don't trust anything the government says.
rxwine
rxwine
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:45:31 AM permalink

I thought I saw him at my meeting of the Flat Earth Society yesterday. I'm a member because I don't trust anything the government says.

I hear he's already scheduled to do the next season of Dancing with the Stars.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:56:53 AM permalink

This was just confirmed on CNN by quest reporter Marilyn Monroe !
avargov
avargov
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:58:34 AM permalink
This has gotten completely out of hand. Anyone who has read any of my posts from before today would never think me to have fringe political views. And I still don't. And I have never stated I believe nothing the government claims. However, in this age of immediate media coverage, I find it hard to believe they haven't released any proof. I seem to recall hearing that 2 H-53 choppers went to the compound, but the Pakistanis didn't pick them up. It all just seems a bit to convienent to me. And the timing seems a bit odd. I am just asking for proof from my government, not too much to ask on an issue so big in the psyche of the population. If you guys want to ostrisize(sp?) me for that, so be it, that is your choice. But let me restate: I am as happy as anyone else that he is dead.

And Mike, the flat earth comment was way beneath you, I would have expected better from a man like you.
avargov
avargov
May 2nd, 2011 at 10:58:57 AM permalink
This has gotten completely out of hand. Anyone who has read any of my posts from before today would never think me to have fringe political views. And I still don't. And I have never stated I believe nothing the government claims. However, in this age of immediate media coverage, I find it hard to believe they haven't released any proof. I seem to recall hearing that 2 H-53 choppers went to the compound, but the Pakistanis didn't pick them up. It all just seems a bit to convienent to me. And the timing seems a bit odd. I am just asking for proof from my government, not too much to ask on an issue so big in the psyche of the population. If you guys want to ostrisize(sp?) me for that, so be it, that is your choice. But let me restate: I am as happy as anyone else that he is dead.

And Mike, the flat earth comment was way beneath you, I would have expected better from a man like you.
rxwine
rxwine
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:04:52 AM permalink
It would potentially endanger lives to report bin Laden dead. That's a reason not to do it, or that is, not to fake it.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:10:12 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I think the burial at sea is supposed to be a compromise between mutilation and familial return. We want to cut OBL's face into pieces, but that offends the religion of his (relatively innocent) family. They want the body back, but that is unacceptable to the U.S. Government. So the solution is to dispose of the body, intact, in a neutral location.

My personal feeling is in this situation the less said the better.

Federal law in the USA declares that covert assassination attempts are illegal. Not even the president can order covert killings. But they are no doubt telling the truth that he resisted arrest. Who thinks that he didn't go for his gun? But I have no doubt that the military has the technology to capture the man alive with no danger to the soldiers involved. This was not a casual police operation, but a full scale assault of the US military. My assumption is that their marching orders were to wait for resistance and then kill him.

I assume there is video tape somewhere showing details, but it should be a state secret. I think president Obama has the right to destroy it in the interest of national safety after viewing it.

The smartest thing is to say "We found him, he resisted, we killed him, and we buried him at sea". Then you have to do your best to prepare for the backlash. Maybe a decade or two from now the men who went on the mission can be honored. Perhaps only on their deathbed or not even then since their families can always be targeted.

Why do we need to know who got paid and how much? I also assume that someone is living in relative luxury far from Pakistan. Who cares?
rxwine
rxwine
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:12:07 AM permalink
Also, reason 2, if bin Laden could make an appearence in a couple weeks citing all current news to prove he's alive, why on Earth would they want to be put in that position.

Now if he's secretly captured and has been squirreled away -- and that has top secret classification -- I could actually see a point to that. Though eventually, that would have to be explained why they thought it was important to do it.
Virgi
Virgi
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:15:18 AM permalink

But isn't he saying things like that to deflect away from the real issue of why atheists say they require proof for a belief in the existence of something that others have said they believe in, while on the other hand those same people have no problem believing in something others say is true but they have yet to see proof of?

Double-standards: The standard of the Obama Administration.
Virgi
Virgi
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:18:14 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Also, reason 2, if bin Laden could make an appearence in a couple weeks citing all current news to prove he's alive, why on Earth would they want to be put in that position.

That's exactly why this administration, led by Obama, is such an all or nothing proposition. The end goal is so all-important to them that they will do and risk anything to get there. Remember Obamacare? Remember all those fabulous promises he told us during his campaign? Remember how he put it all on the line then ended up looking stupid with the Cambridge cop affair?
kp
kp
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:18:42 AM permalink

I am just asking for proof from my government

What proof would you like to see and what would be generally acceptable as something not faked?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:22:37 AM permalink

No insult was intended. I was trying to say that at some point skepticism can go too far, as in the case of the Flat Earth Society. In this case, I find it much more plausible that the Bin Laden killing went down as reported than the whole thing being a fraud. You may choose to doubt it. Normally I admire skepticism, but like anything, it can be taken too far.

What proof would you like to see and what would be generally acceptable as something not faked?

Exactly! If this whole thing were a fraud they could have easily faked videos and pictures of the event as well. Sometimes you just have to go with Occom's Razor and accept the explanation that makes the most sense.
rxwine
rxwine
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:28:23 AM permalink
There may also be an ongoing discussion on what information to eventually release. Inflaming the faithful by making the wrong decision is not a plus.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:29:20 AM permalink

But isn't he saying things like that to deflect away from the real issue of why atheists say they require proof for a belief in the existence of something that others have said they believe in, while on the other hand those same people have no problem believing in something others say is true but they have yet to see proof of?

Double-standards: The standard of the Obama Administration.

You miss a very important point, though you stated it yourself. There's a difference between believing something because others believe it, and believing something that others state is a fact. Especial if the believer views the fact giver as credible. You may indeed not find the government as credible, while you do find others of a faith credible. So be it.

I thought the real issue her is whether we should believe that Osama Bin Laden has been shot and killed by Navy Seals without further evidence than the government saying so. I'd expect about as much evidence in this respect if it had been Bush or Obama in the White House when it happened. I didn't see much evidence given when his second in command was killed, or when they bombed several of the training camps, I didn't see much evidence of weapons of Mass Destruction, I didn't see any evidence of a link between Iraq and the 9/11 terrorism atrocity, but I did see evidence clearly presented about a link between Al Qaeda, the Taliban and Afghanistan.

Given that the it's entirely possible a surgical strike by a team of trained soldiers could find and kill Bin Laden hardly flickers on my disbelief meter, I'll take that claim, notwithstanding further evidence to the contrary. It hardly matters to be if he's dead, alive or actually a computer generated graphic used to scare me into giving up liberties at airports. I don't think his death will change Al Qaeda's war on the west any one bit.

I can understand other the skepticism and request for further information of evidence. I suspect you'll get some, but not in the next little while... give it a few years and there'll be documentary special.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Virgi
Virgi
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:29:43 AM permalink
Here's the explanation from the administration on why "the body" was dumped at sea so quickly:

The reason is bound up within Islamic practice and tradition. And that practice calls for the body of the deceased to be buried within 24 hours, according to a U.S. official, who spoke on Monday on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive national security matters.
Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/02/why-was-bin-laden-buried-at-sea-so-quickly/#ixzz1LDlQxpO2

So we're going to honor this guy by strictly following his religious requirements? Have you ever heard such bullshit in your life?
rxwine
rxwine
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:31:04 AM permalink
...you know, if they show the body burning on a pile of Qurans.
avargov
avargov
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:31:26 AM permalink

No insult was intended. I was trying to say that at some point skepticism can go too far, as in the case of the Flat Earth Society. In this case, I find it much more plausible that the Bin Laden killing went down as reported than the whole thing being a fraud. You may choose to doubt it. Normally I admire skepticism, but like anything, it can be taken too far.

No offence was taken on your comment Wiz. And I certainly understand your position. I am just bringing up some points that are being discussed in a press conference right now. Of course, my questions may well be answered in a few days. I do have trouble with the way they are being answered now, and I hope when it all comes out, it is on the up and up.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:32:37 AM permalink

See, part of the proof is in German, so they'd have to translate it for you. And you have to go fly in to see it--they can't just post it on their website.

It's complicated.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:33:26 AM permalink

So we're going to honor this guy by strictly following his religious requirements? Have you ever heard such bullshit in your life?

Not so much honor him, but his family and the other members of his Faith. We're already fearing a backlash after OBL's death, it does seem kind of reasonable to limit it by respecting the body.
rxwine
rxwine
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:34:58 AM permalink
Have they interviewed any of the survivors in the compound? His family? Of course, they could all be actors and agents of the U.S. government.
avargov
avargov
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:36:10 AM permalink

I personally would be OK with a picture of a guy with a bullet hole through his left eye. With the pics I have seen of our own wounded troops, I don't thnk it would be too distasteful.

I am not so out there that I would dismiss anything put in front of me, however, being given no tangible proof makes me pause.
Nareed
Nareed
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:41:35 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

See, part of the proof is in German, so they'd have to translate it for you. And you have to go fly in to see it--they can't just post it on their website.

It's complicated.

I hear also Obama is demanding a $7 trillion bet be placed, with the money to be deposited in advance to his campaign fund (just to hold it, mind you).
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:42:30 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

...you know, if they show the body burning on a pile of Qurans.

Open air cremations is a Hindu ritual.

:)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Virgi
Virgi
May 2nd, 2011 at 12:44:23 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Not so much honor him, but his family and the other members of his Faith. We're already fearing a backlash after OBL's death, it does seem kind of reasonable to limit it by respecting the body.

If all the Muslim reporting the past 10 years is correct, OBL was a aberration to the Islamic faith and they are reiterating that today. A backlash would be expected from the extremist world after the killing of their leader anyway. We also just killed his son and 3 grandchildren. Who cares about his family? To claim a respect of the body of such a killer is nonsensical.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
May 2nd, 2011 at 1:05:39 PM permalink

If all the Muslim reporting the past 10 years is correct, OBL was a aberration to the Islamic faith and they are reiterating that today. A backlash would be expected from the extremist world after the killing of their leader anyway. We also just killed his son and 3 grandchildren. Who cares about his family? To claim a respect of the body of such a killer is nonsensical.

When was this? Or have you gotten him mixed up with Ghaddafi?
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 2nd, 2011 at 1:07:40 PM permalink
More details emerge, as expected. Here's the CBC story ::

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/05/02/osama-bin-laden-raid-pakistan.html?ref=rss
Virgi
Virgi
May 2nd, 2011 at 1:19:21 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

When was this? Or have you gotten him mixed up with Ghaddafi?

You're right I did. But they either captured or killed his son, and they have his 2 wives and more kids in custody. I'd kill each one if I were in charge.
gofaster87
gofaster87
  • Threads: 3
May 2nd, 2011 at 1:48:39 PM permalink
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 2nd, 2011 at 2:16:45 PM permalink
Quote: gofaster87

I'm thinking if Bin Laden did really get killed we should expect to some retaliation from a terrorist cell. If not, that may because for doubt. Ill have to get a hold of some buddies that are still in the Corp(top secret clearance) and see what they have to say.

That hardly passes muster, as what about failed attempts? Or any terrorist event may happen anyways and may or may not be caused by the killing of Bin Laden? The action or otherwise of a terrorist cell isn't direct evidence of his death.

I do agree, I expect something to kick off from this though.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 2nd, 2011 at 3:11:36 PM permalink
I agree with Avargov. Show me the pictures. According to news stories, photos do exist. I, personally would feel better if they were made public. Senator Lieberman has called for them as well.

If Al Queda would officially acknowledge that he is dead, I would take that instead.

I think what really makes me ask questions is how quickly government spokespeople were to credit information from "detainees" at Gitmo to this operation, as if to justify the entire Gitmo detention.

Do others feel a noticable lightening on your shoulders? It is strange, but the death of one homicidal madman can make the world a better place. I mourn the death of the woman used as a, "human shield" though. Unfortunate, but necessary, collateral damage.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Virgi
Virgi
May 2nd, 2011 at 3:28:05 PM permalink
I also find it interesting that no one has yet been named as a recipient of a part of or all of the US Government's $25million bounty for OBL's kill or capture. They don't even say if there is one or not. Why not answer the simple question? It's over, right? This is like Trump having to pull Obama's teeth out all over again just to get his birth certificate out in the open like every previous president has done willingly.

And now we even have Cindy Sheehan inputting doubts:
“I am sorry, but if you believe the newest death of OBL, you're stupid,” wrote Cindy Sheehan on Facebook. “Just think to yourself—they paraded Saddam's dead sons around to prove they were dead—why do you suppose they hastily buried this version of OBL at sea?”

It just seems this president has no clue on how to talk to the American public. All he cares about is his image to a worldwide audience.
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 2nd, 2011 at 3:53:26 PM permalink
This, dear friends, is the problem with the 24 hour rolling news generation WHERE EVERY single QUESTION must be answered IMMEDIATELY.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
May 2nd, 2011 at 5:01:35 PM permalink

I shouldn't even bother responding, but we probably did take lots of pictures. However, it wouldn't be dignified to release them to the public. It would come off as grotesque, perverse, and undignified. Go ahead and believe the whole thing was a conspiracy to boost morale; I don't really care. I do think that such fringe opinions belong in the Free Speech Zone, and ask that you continue with this topic there.

Not commenting on it being fake as logic tells me that no POTUS would take a chance like this as if Bin Ladden showed up alive later he would look so foolish the very security of the country could be in danger.

That being said, I see no problem releasing a picture. Didn't we publish pictures of Mussolini's hanging body in newspapers across the country? And that is just one I can think of right now. Simply from a historical prespective I think it is a necessary thing to do.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 2nd, 2011 at 5:16:04 PM permalink

I guess even our own government couldn't resist releasing some photos.

It's a shame, they should have just left it alone.
  • Jump to: