Thread Rating:

darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
February 3rd, 2018 at 10:02:11 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Let me see if I understand this:

Tringlomane complained about being offended by a post by AZDuffman, to which both Babs and I responded stating that the intent was not to offend.

However, BBB realized that there was clear opportunity for AZD to explain himself and apologize to Tringlomane on the grounds that Tringlomane took offense to his post, but AZD did not take that option. At least, not directly.

My initial post on the matter was just the first two paragraphs of the post that is currently there, explaining why I did not see an insult there. I saw that Babs had fired off a post before me issuing a three-day Suspension to AZD for the causes she stated. While it is pretty clear that I would not have issued a Suspension, I saw here reasoning and agreed with it enough (it's only three days, anyway) not to challenge the Suspension behind the scenes.

Basically, not a Suspension I would have made, but also not one that I, per se, disagreed with. I wasn't really considering how Tringlomane took it, just whether or not I saw an insult there. (I didn't.)

Now, despite the fact that AZD was Suspended, we have Tringlomane flying off the handle and Suspending himself for a month because he was accused of Trolling by RS as well as the fact that several others disagreed with the Suspension over what us Mods already acknowledged wasn't meant as an insult.

So, now Tring has apparently Self-Suspended until March 1st, wonderful. Oh well, his choice.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to also ask RS to provide whatever prove he has to back up his assertion that Tring/Terapined were Trolling, in his opinion. I don't know that it's an Insult, but making unsubstantiated accusations would definitely qualify as Trolling/Bullying in its own right, so I'm going to give RS 48 hours to post up whatever his, "Proof," is, from the time this post goes up.

I'm not going to require that I actually agree with RS about it, just that there actually be something that could reasonably lead RS to saying that.

As far as the, "Loose," Moderation of that thread, I still recuse myself from Moderating that thread (even though I've been participating lately) unless I see something really blatant.

Isnt calling someone a troll regardless of whether its true or not considered a personal insult?

And saying someone is trolling is the equivalent of calling someone a troll

E.g. "your wife is prostituting"
Not a personal insult? I didnt say your "wife is a prostitute, Just that your wife was prostituting?"
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
February 3rd, 2018 at 10:09:44 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Isnt calling someone a troll regardless of whether its true or not considered a personal insult?

He didn't call him a Troll, he accused him of Trolling on one or more specific instances. Calling him a Troll, categorically, would be an insult, yes.

Quote:

And saying someone is trolling is the equivalent of calling someone a troll

I might agree with that, but he says there is proof, so he is clearly saying that the two were Trolling in a particular instance.

Quote:

E.g. "your wife is prostituting"
Not a personal insult? I didnt say your "wife is a prostitute, Just that your wife was prostituting?"

I think I made it pretty clear that I want to see what this, "Proof," is. Hypothetically, if someone had a wife and I had evidence of her prostituting, it would be pretty tough to take the statement, "She was prostituting in this instance," as an insult.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
darkoz
darkoz
February 3rd, 2018 at 10:19:49 AM permalink

He didn't call him a Troll, he accused him of Trolling on one or more specific instances. Calling him a Troll, categorically, would be an insult, yes.

I might agree with that, but he says there is proof, so he is clearly saying that the two were Trolling in a particular instance.

I think I made it pretty clear that I want to see what this, "Proof," is. Hypothetically, if someone had a wife and I had evidence of her prostituting, it would be pretty tough to take the statement, "She was prostituting in this instance," as an insult.

I disagree. The substance of an insult is not whether it is truthful

Call me short and fat. Its true but i am still insulted. Is that the basis for insults being tolerated? They must be truthful insults?
Mission146
Mission146
February 3rd, 2018 at 10:27:49 AM permalink

Call me short and fat. Its true but i am still insulted. Is that the basis for insults being tolerated? They must be truthful insults?

I'm not calling her a prostitute in the hypothetical, I'm saying that she, "Was prostituting." The basis of a statement being truthful is that it be truthful. I'm not even looking at a potential infraction as Personal Insult, I'm saying that accusing someone of, 'Trolling,' and saying that you have proof (if you don't) is itself Trolling/Bullying.

Someone may come along and overrule me, but I don't think there is an argument for Personal Insult anywhere in that post. Trolling/Bullying, maybe.

Besides, haven't there been enough Suspensions in the last two weeks? I thought everyone wanted us to err on the side of lenience?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
RogerKintRSMaxPen
February 3rd, 2018 at 10:31:50 AM permalink
darkoz
darkoz
February 3rd, 2018 at 10:32:00 AM permalink

I'm not calling her a prostitute in the hypothetical, I'm saying that she, "Was prostituting." The basis of a statement being truthful is that it be truthful. I'm not even looking at a potential infraction as Personal Insult, I'm saying that accusing someone of, 'Trolling,' and saying that you have proof (if you don't) is itself Trolling/Bullying.

Someone may come along and overrule me, but I don't think there is an argument for Personal Insult anywhere in that post. Trolling/Bullying, maybe.

Besides, haven't there been enough Suspensions in the last two weeks? I thought everyone wanted us to err on the side of lenience?

Both lenience and consistency i believe
Mission146
Mission146
February 3rd, 2018 at 10:34:53 AM permalink

Both lenience and consistency i believe

How am I not being consistent? He made a statement about something someone was doing and claimed to have evidence. If he had outright said, "You're a Troll," boom, Suspension, Personal Insult. He didn't do that. Therefore, I am giving him the opportunity to prove that his accusation has merit. If he does not, or he fails to respond within 48 hours, then I will issue a Suspension under Trolling/Bullying in accordance to wherever he is in the Martingale.

Are we going to argue next that I am being inconsistent because of my political views...even though I'm farther to the Left than most of the Forum and would consider RS as leaning Right, based on his posts?
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:09:25 AM permalink
I personally feel that the Admins on this board are extremely lenient compared to other websites. At least you get warnings and suspensions. On another website , the Admins ban posters permanently on the spot with no warning or suspension. For example, I started a thread about taxis being ripoffs because I paid $10 to literally go like 1 mile and a half in a Taxi and I paid like $6 to go like 5 miles in a LYFT, I started a thread about Annoying YouTube Uploaders(It was a popular thread with like 3 or 4 pages, and I started a thread called"Favorite Posters on here?" Where I mentioned posters that brought a lot of gpod to the website. I got like 2 replies before the Admins deleted it. In fact, they were all deleted by Admins and I got a message saying, "You have been permanently banned, the date this ban will lift is never." I had been a respectful user, I had always been nice to other posters and I was shocked that I got permanently banned. Maybe the "Favorite Posters?" May have went a bit too far but it was started with good intentions.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:18:06 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

I got a message saying, "You have been permanently banned, the date this ban will lift is never." I had been a respectful user, I had always been nice to other posters and I was shocked that I got permanently banned. Maybe the "Favorite Posters?" May have went a bit too far but it was started with good intentions.

You veered off the straight and narrow and onto the paved section of the highway to hell.

So much for "good intentions."
"What, me worry?"
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:24:59 AM permalink

I disagree. The substance of an insult is not whether it is truthful

This stuff just keeps getting better and better.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:26:30 AM permalink
My understanding is this forum has always been moderated by a "technicality POV", as per Wizard's "request" or whatever. Not that I agree with it, but it is what it is (his place, his rules). But now all of a sudden it's no longer based on technicalities? Saying someone is trolling has never been suspend-able-worthy. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I will comply (as best I can) with acquiring this proof, under duress. This is going to be damn near impossible to find the right posts within 48 hours as of ~9:45am today, given The Grand Superb Owl Soiree of '018 is nearly under way.....and I don't know which of 2 threads I need to look in (hint: they're long AF), don't remember when this happened, I don't remember the exact phrasing that was used, and this forum's search function isn't super great (the last straw to making it super hard to find).

Mission, if I don't have the "proof" within the 48 hours, but I find it after that (say I find it at 72 hours), will the suspension be over-turned, or if I find it a week or two later, would it be over-turned (and expunged from my record)? Or is it a due-or-die scenario?
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:27:22 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

You veered off the straight and narrow and onto the paved section of the highway to hell.

So much for "good intentions."

When I said,"Good intentions, " I made the "Favorite Posters," thread to talk about posters that brought good things to the website. It was meant to be a praise thread. In hindsight, my logical brain whispered to me before pressing "Send" "Maybe a "Favorite Posters?" Thread could be seen in a bad way! As if you are asking posters to alienate other posters. Are you really sure you should be starting this thread?" I stupidly told my logical brain, "Shut up! This won't be seen in a bad way because it's a praise thread! It will be seen in a good way!" It got like 2 replies and then deleted like 30 minutes later and I got the "Permanently banned," message. Oops.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
RogerKint
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:34:16 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Mission, if I don't have the "proof" within the 48 hours, but I find it after that (say I find it at 72 hours), will the suspension be over-turned, or if I find it a week or two later, would it be over-turned (and expunged from my record)? Or is it a due-or-die scenario?

I forgot about the Superb Owl. I'll extend it to 96 hours.
Mission146
Mission146
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:37:45 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

When I said,"Good intentions, " I made the "Favorite Posters," thread to talk about posters that brought good things to the website. It was meant to be a praise thread. In hindsight, my logical brain whispered to me before pressing "Send" "Maybe a "Favorite Posters?" Thread could be seen in a bad way! As if you are asking posters to alienate other posters. Are you really sure you should be starting this thread?" I stupidly told my logical brain, "Shut up! This won't be seen in a bad way because it's a praise thread! It will be seen in a good way!" It got like 2 replies and then deleted like 30 minutes later and I got the "Permanently banned," message. Oops.

Just to clarify, when I said to take your gripes to, "Discussion About the Suspension List," I did mean that you should discuss Suspensions on our Suspension List.

I don't even know what other Forum you are referring to. Nor do I care. So, please don't tell me.

My patience is really running out. Talk about your MOST RECENT Suspension or one (not yours from last year) that happened on these Forums. Alternatively, quit saying anything about Suspensions.

Here's a hint: There's no way for you to get in any trouble if you do the second one.
darkoz
darkoz
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:40:34 AM permalink

How am I not being consistent? He made a statement about something someone was doing and claimed to have evidence. If he had outright said, "You're a Troll," boom, Suspension, Personal Insult. He didn't do that. Therefore, I am giving him the opportunity to prove that his accusation has merit. If he does not, or he fails to respond within 48 hours, then I will issue a Suspension under Trolling/Bullying in accordance to wherever he is in the Martingale.

Are we going to argue next that I am being inconsistent because of my political views...even though I'm farther to the Left than most of the Forum and would consider RS as leaning Right, based on his posts?

Im not trying to upset you. I know being a mod right now is proving a bit touchy. Im not the only poster who has felt some inconsistency with bans in the past. I just was saying that is what the forum is looking for. Both leniency and consistency

Without consistency you will have more upset as people say "hey i got banned for this and he didnt". I meant it constructively

As for politics on here that forum is well almost a different animal with a lot of leeway being given and perhaps being too lenient but with everyone blaming partisanship it may have tp be. I see you recently joined in the trump thread after saying you purposefully were staying away and you have been sucked into the back and forth. I enjoy your posts there (altho sometimes they are i dare say too long even for me) but in general we are on the same page politically
MaxPen
MaxPen
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:42:22 AM permalink

My understanding is this forum has always been moderated by a "technicality POV", as per Wizard's "request" or whatever. Not that I agree with it, but it is what it is (his place, his rules). But now all of a sudden it's no longer based on technicalities? Saying someone is trolling has never been suspend-able-worthy. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I will comply (as best I can) with acquiring this proof, under duress. This is going to be damn near impossible to find the right posts within 48 hours as of ~9:45am today, given The Grand Superb Owl Soiree of '018 is nearly under way.....and I don't know which of 2 threads I need to look in (hint: they're long AF), don't remember when this happened, I don't remember the exact phrasing that was used, and this forum's search function isn't super great (the last straw to making it super hard to find).

I would just take the suspension and acknowledge the ineptitude.
darkoz
darkoz
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:46:53 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I dont see AP"s on here taking that attitude. Being banned is anathema to an AP and something fought almost intuitively. Part of our training/experience
MaxPen
MaxPen
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:51:45 AM permalink

Quote: MaxPen

I dont see AP"s on here taking that attitude. Being banned is anathema to an AP and something fought almost intuitively. Part of our training/experience

There is no +EV in trying to find old posts on this forum. Worst search function ever.
Mission146
Mission146
February 3rd, 2018 at 1:38:59 PM permalink

Im not trying to upset you. I know being a mod right now is proving a bit touchy. Im not the only poster who has felt some inconsistency with bans in the past. I just was saying that is what the forum is looking for. Both leniency and consistency.

I'm not upset, I'm just explaining my position. I think this is one of those rare cases in which a poster actually has the opportunity to explain himself before a ban is handed down, again, because it wasn't a Personal Insult. A Personal Insult would have been immediate.

Quote:

Without consistency you will have more upset as people say "hey i got banned for this and he didnt". I meant it constructively

No, I understand that. I'm sorry if my post implied otherwise.

Quote:

As for politics on here that forum is well almost a different animal with a lot of leeway being given and perhaps being too lenient but with everyone blaming partisanship it may have tp be. I see you recently joined in the trump thread after saying you purposefully were staying away and you have been sucked into the back and forth. I enjoy your posts there (altho sometimes they are i dare say too long even for me) but in general we are on the same page politically

It can be an enjoyable thread, sometimes.

I think the real problem with the back-and-forth in that thread is that sometimes some people may forget that there is a person behind the poster. Not just a person, but quite probably, a friend. We're all here, fundamentally, because we enjoy gambling to one extent or another, so already we all have something in common that we may not share with the general population.

If AZD doesn't mind being used as an example, and hopefully he doesn't, I'll use him. It's no secret that he and I have met in person, at one of the WoV East deals, and we got along fairly well. Politically speaking, I imagine we share...and this is a liberal estimate...5-20% of our views. I imagine we fundamentally disagree with all other political views. The point is, we disagree, and yet we're talking about having coffee together at the next available opportunity.

I think many of the problems in that thread would be eliminated if, before posting, we all kept in mind that we would probably get along quite well in person. If we keep that in mind, before anything else, I think you would have people less likely to say anything that could be perceived as offensive, as well as people less likely take offense to anything along those lines that may be said. If people are gratified in seeing one another banned, I also think that would stop.

Anyway, I think the key is just to remember that we should be friends first and people who disagree politically second.
MrV
MrV
Thanked by
Mission146
February 3rd, 2018 at 1:52:52 PM permalink

Anyway, I think the key is just to remember that we should be friends first and people who disagree politically second.

Mission's wish: granted
"What, me worry?"
Mission146
Mission146
February 3rd, 2018 at 1:58:40 PM permalink
MrV's got jokes today, ladies and gentlemen!

That was pretty good, though.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
RS
February 3rd, 2018 at 6:22:53 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Believe it or not, George isn't at home. Please leave a message at the beep.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
February 3rd, 2018 at 7:03:12 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Believe it or not, George isn't at home. Please leave a message at the beep.

Where could he beeeeee?

Quote: AxelWolf

You guys have to get better friends.

If I’m being completely honest, I never heard the term myself. And I was confused as to why AZ wasn’t instabanned, given there was admins online at the time of the post, and more than one person had been banned lately for comments that were (seemingly) much more innocuous.

In my confusion I searched the forum to see if there was a previous wife beating incident or joke or something else I was missing. Not that the forum search function leads to anything useful anyway.
MrV
MrV
February 3rd, 2018 at 7:40:28 PM permalink

Where could he beeeeee?If I’m being completely honest, I never heard the term myself.

Really?

You probably never heard of sleeveless undershirts being called "wife beaters" either.

I'm wearing one now: should that warrant a suspension?
"What, me worry?"
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
February 3rd, 2018 at 8:08:21 PM permalink
I've heard that expression my whole life ,another one was "does your mother know you're gay ?"
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
February 3rd, 2018 at 8:21:46 PM permalink
You could try searching this site FROM Google.
Put site:wizardofvegas.com in the search box along with your search terms.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
February 3rd, 2018 at 8:56:54 PM permalink

If I’m being completely honest

So did you stop lying to us? (-:
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
February 3rd, 2018 at 10:13:55 PM permalink
Doesn't matter how common knowledge something is, you can always be asleep that day in class. Or live on the wrong side of country where it was used. Or chained to your bed with the rest of the kids by your evil parents for most of your childhood and not know much about the outside world..

I didn't even know the US had a royal residence until last week. Or if I did, I must of forgotten it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
HugoSlavia
February 4th, 2018 at 8:00:28 AM permalink

If AZD doesn't mind being used as an example, and hopefully he doesn't, I'll use him. It's no secret that he and I have met in person, at one of the WoV East deals, and we got along fairly well. Politically speaking, I imagine we share...and this is a liberal estimate...5-20% of our views. I imagine we fundamentally disagree with all other political views. The point is, we disagree, and yet we're talking about having coffee together at the next available opportunity.

I think many of the problems in that thread would be eliminated if, before posting, we all kept in mind that we would probably get along quite well in person. If we keep that in mind, before anything else, I think you would have people less likely to say anything that could be perceived as offensive, as well as people less likely take offense to anything along those lines that may be said. If people are gratified in seeing one another banned, I also think that would stop.

Of course you can use me as an example. As long as I can use your post here as the basis for my reply, you may always use me as an example.

I was able to see how this all played out while a guest at Rikers. Thanks to RS for the minute by minute outline and defense. I will state as well that I felt no need to apologize for making a comment that was not a personal insult. Said apology would have been along the lines of, "I'm sorry you did not get the reference" which would ironically be closer to being an insult than the comment itself. Suspended not for intent but on how the other person received it might not be right, but such is life.

I learned about "Have you stopped beating your wife" so long ago that I do not even remember when I heard it. It was also so far out of context that I expected any even moderately intelligent adult would look at it and think, "what on earth is that about?" then perhaps google it. tringlomane's writing appears to be at a high enough level to fall into this group. Even with that, I suggested googling it and even explained that it was showing he was giving me a loaded question on Trump, and I was not going to play that game. To think that someone out of the blue would suggest or condone domestic violence, well, I'm sorry to say but that is the mentality of a person in 5th grade. Curiously, it seems that the folks here on the right have heard the term and knew what it meant while those on the left did not hear and did not know. tringlomane alluded to having a PhD the way I read it, so if I read it right then we are not talking about an uneducated person.

Circling back to Mission's comment of "we all kept in mind that we would probably get along quite well in person." What we have in our current society is too many people with a huge case of "Trump Derangement Syndrome." Too many people blaming Trump and the Republicans for their lack of success in life. Consider:

Quote: tringlomane

Maybe I'll find some piece of crap min wage job in the interim since I am one of those uncounted unemployed and can't probably find anything better with a PhD! The Republican way!

I seriously do not get this point of view. Occasionally, there is a narrow policy from one party that puts someone out of work. I am an example. If a law or regulation stops drilling, my career prospects dry up. Obama's re-election caused a mass layoff at a place I worked. I was quitting anyhow, it was a white collar sweat shop. But 50+ other people lost their jobs that day. You can be bitter, but that helps nothing. You pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Mission146
Mission146
February 4th, 2018 at 8:14:36 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Of course you can use me as an example. As long as I can use your post here as the basis for my reply, you may always use me as an example.

Circling back to Mission's comment of "we all kept in mind that we would probably get along quite well in person." What we have in our current society is too many people with a huge case of "Trump Derangement Syndrome." Too many people blaming Trump and the Republicans for their lack of success in life. Consider:

I'll leave the larger paragraph for Babs if she chooses to respond to it. Like I said, I don't disagree with the ban, per se, but I would not personally have banned for that. We were both clearly composing posts at the same time without knowing it, hers issuing a ban, mine saying no ban would be issued for that.

I don't know that Trump has so much to do with it, unless there was also an, "Obama Derangement Syndrome," too, because the politics threads certainly didn't seem that much more friendly whilst he was in office.

I seriously believe it is just a matter of letting diametrically opposed viewpoints get in the way of the fact that we would probably otherwise get along. The betting system guys are a good example: They swear by their mathematically unsound systems and claim they can beat the house edge, I point out that they cannot, they get mad, I get frustrated and impatient...whatever happens, happens. On the other hand, I'd probably happily drink a beer and watch a football game with 90+% of those guys.

Quote:

I seriously do not get this point of view. Occasionally, there is a narrow policy from one party that puts someone out of work. I am an example. If a law or regulation stops drilling, my career prospects dry up. Obama's re-election caused a mass layoff at a place I worked. I was quitting anyhow, it was a white collar sweat shop. But 50+ other people lost their jobs that day. You can be bitter, but that helps nothing. You pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.

Certainly. There's a policy change, people benefit, (directly or indirectly) and on the flip side, others suffer.

I think the main difference between a Liberal and a Conservative is what, "Pick yourself up," consists of. I believe it was you or someone else who mentioned having to move back in with your parents for a bit, so we as Liberals say, "Okay, what about the people who don't have parents?" There are people out there with not so much as a couch they could crash on.

While the extents may change, very few people, "Pick themselves up," without any kind of help whatsoever. That's what I think is frustrating, sometimes, about those on the Economic Right. It occurs to me that many of those people already have a built-in familial safety net, or a net of some other kind. If you want to take it all the way back to the formative years, then you can argue that nobody has ever really done it on their own.

Anyway, so that's what my view of the Liberal Economic agenda should be. You want to make sure that everyone at least gets some kind of chance knowing that, eventually, they will have to do it on their own. That's why I don't think slinging burgers at McDonald's, even if forty hours per week, should result in a living wage for a household of three or four people...just seems silly.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
Thanked by
SOOPOO
February 4th, 2018 at 9:21:49 AM permalink

I'll leave the larger paragraph for Babs if she chooses to respond to it. Like I said, I don't disagree with the ban, per se, but I would not personally have banned for that. We were both clearly composing posts at the same time without knowing it, hers issuing a ban, mine saying no ban would be issued for that.

Leave it in the past and move on. I said my peace.

Quote:

I don't know that Trump has so much to do with it, unless there was also an, "Obama Derangement Syndrome," too, because the politics threads certainly didn't seem that much more friendly whilst he was in office.

I seriously believe it is just a matter of letting diametrically opposed viewpoints get in the way of the fact that we would probably otherwise get along. The betting system guys are a good example: They swear by their mathematically unsound systems and claim they can beat the house edge, I point out that they cannot, they get mad, I get frustrated and impatient...whatever happens, happens. On the other hand, I'd probably happily drink a beer and watch a football game with 90+% of those guys.

It is a different kind of derangement. My base statement remains, the strongly conservative thinks the liberal is misguided, the strong liberal hates the fact that they have to share the same planet as the strong conservative. Look at the college speaker thing as an example. A liberal speaks, conservative students stay home and watch TV. Ann Coulter is scheduled to speak, liberals riot and the police tell her they cannot guarantee her safety. Something is wrong here. No reasonable person can say the reactions are in the same league, not even the same sport.

Quote:

I think the main difference between a Liberal and a Conservative is what, "Pick yourself up," consists of. I believe it was you or someone else who mentioned having to move back in with your parents for a bit, so we as Liberals say, "Okay, what about the people who don't have parents?" There are people out there with not so much as a couch they could crash on.

While the extents may change, very few people, "Pick themselves up," without any kind of help whatsoever. That's what I think is frustrating, sometimes, about those on the Economic Right. It occurs to me that many of those people already have a built-in familial safety net, or a net of some other kind. If you want to take it all the way back to the formative years, then you can argue that nobody has ever really done it on their own.

Was me, though I may not be the only one. Yes, some folks do not have family to move back in with. But I look at it this way. Somewhere in the USA is the kid with the richest and best parents. Somewhere there is the poorest with the worst parents. The rest of us fit in-between. I wish I could find where I saw it, but there is a Japanese saying. It is to the effect of, "Accept your situation and work with what you have."

It is how Japan built itself up. Japan has near zero in natural resources. It was smashed in WWII as perhaps no nation ever was smashed. Food was so scarce that in the late-1940s the average man had a waistline of something like 24". Just 15 years after being so smashed, Tokyo hoisted the Olympics. By the early 1980s, Japan led the world in auto production as well as many other industries. Just 40 years from literally flattened to world leader. That is an entire nation.

We currently have an over-educated class of folks who cannot seem to support themselves. Somewhere along the line people got it in their head that degree = job security for life. As if, as I joked about at my own commencement, "Hey, I thought after I got this some dude would run up and offer me a job!" I hated having to move back home, the alternative might have been bankruptcy. Hated it so much I took anything I could do to pay off debt. Learned some new skills along the way. That which does not kill us makes us stronger. To have a PhD and blame "the Republicans" for lack of career success is a nonstarter with me. Record low unemployment. Gotta be something out there.

Quote:

Anyway, so that's what my view of the Liberal Economic agenda should be. You want to make sure that everyone at least gets some kind of chance knowing that, eventually, they will have to do it on their own. That's why I don't think slinging burgers at McDonald's, even if forty hours per week, should result in a living wage for a household of three or four people...just seems silly.

It is silly. Pay is based on productivity, not what one "needs." Not all jobs were made to live off of. Some folks cannot handle hearing that.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
February 4th, 2018 at 9:38:14 AM permalink

If I’m being completely honest, I never heard the term myself.

I never have either. But instead of getting upset, I'd have just made a smartass comeback! 😉
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
MrV
MrV
Thanked by
RSRogerKintSOOPOO
February 4th, 2018 at 9:57:02 AM permalink

The problem with propping up and supporting "losers," i.e. those who cannot "make it in life" on their own, is that they usually breed, and the following generation is enmired in the same fog of failure, further weakening the body politic.

Natural Selection involves, inter alia, "the survival of the fittest," i.e. those who best adapt to then-current circumstances flourish sufficiently to breed and support their offspring, whereas those who do not simply fall by the wayside.

Republicans, more conservative by nature, generally have stronger family and religious connections which can be relied upon to prop them up when they fall, whereas many liberals do not, for a variety of reasons.

In choosing to adopt the veneer of civilization people no longer "cull the herd," when in fact society would arguably be better off without having to prop up the weak and the failed.

No, I am not advocating euthanasia, as I too am "civilized," but I recognize the expense we absorb in propping up those who would otherwise be left behind to wither and die on the vine.
"What, me worry?"
RS
RS
February 4th, 2018 at 10:13:08 AM permalink
RE: My "evidence of trolling" for terapined--

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/28871-trumps-final-100-days/261/#post614080

That and next two posts, particularly:

Quote: terapined, post-1

Are you a hypocrite? [in an accusing manner]

Quote: terapined, post-2

I am asking if he is a hypocrite
I am not saying he is a hypocrite

In that case, basically, "It's okay as long as it's in question form, I'm just asking a question."
In the more recent case, basically, "Even though it's in question form, it's still an insult."
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
February 4th, 2018 at 10:45:17 AM permalink

That's even weaker than I expected it to be.... and my expectations were low.

And where's your evidence that tringlomane was trolling? As he was the one who actually got upset at your accusation, not terapined.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Mission146
Mission146
February 4th, 2018 at 12:47:12 PM permalink

It is a different kind of derangement. My base statement remains, the strongly conservative thinks the liberal is misguided, the strong liberal hates the fact that they have to share the same planet as the strong conservative. Look at the college speaker thing as an example. A liberal speaks, conservative students stay home and watch TV. Ann Coulter is scheduled to speak, liberals riot and the police tell her they cannot guarantee her safety. Something is wrong here. No reasonable person can say the reactions are in the same league, not even the same sport.

Who? I consider myself a, "Strong Liberal," in terms of my leanings on everything with exception to Criminal Law. I don't hate sharing the planet with anyone, nor do I categorically hate any person. I don't even particularly have a problem with Conservatives, provided the individual beliefs of a specific Conservative at least lend themselves to an overall consistent and non-hypocritical worldview.

To your last point in that paragraph, what the hell are you talking about? There are demonstrative extremists on both sides of the political spectrum and protests and the like have historically been violent, on occasion, on both sides. If you're talking frequency, since it's your point, I would like to see some specific numbers.

Quote:

Was me, though I may not be the only one. Yes, some folks do not have family to move back in with. But I look at it this way. Somewhere in the USA is the kid with the richest and best parents. Somewhere there is the poorest with the worst parents. The rest of us fit in-between. I wish I could find where I saw it, but there is a Japanese saying. It is to the effect of, "Accept your situation and work with what you have."

It's tough to work with nothing, which is what some people have.

Quote:

It is how Japan built itself up. Japan has near zero in natural resources. It was smashed in WWII as perhaps no nation ever was smashed. Food was so scarce that in the late-1940s the average man had a waistline of something like 24". Just 15 years after being so smashed, Tokyo hoisted the Olympics. By the early 1980s, Japan led the world in auto production as well as many other industries. Just 40 years from literally flattened to world leader. That is an entire nation.

You seem unaware of the role of the United States, among others, in helping to rebuild Japan.

Quote:

We currently have an over-educated class of folks who cannot seem to support themselves. Somewhere along the line people got it in their head that degree = job security for life. As if, as I joked about at my own commencement, "Hey, I thought after I got this some dude would run up and offer me a job!" I hated having to move back home, the alternative might have been bankruptcy. Hated it so much I took anything I could do to pay off debt. Learned some new skills along the way. That which does not kill us makes us stronger. To have a PhD and blame "the Republicans" for lack of career success is a nonstarter with me. Record low unemployment. Gotta be something out there.

I do think some people could be accused of looking at menial jobs as, "Beneath them," and agree that such people could shoulder the bulk of the blame if they are unemployed. I'm not going to stipulate that the actual act of getting an education is to blame, because that's ridiculous.

Quote:

It is silly. Pay is based on productivity, not what one "needs." Not all jobs were made to live off of. Some folks cannot handle hearing that.

Either way, we should continue in the politics thread, please feel free to hit, "Quote," and then copy/paste this over there if you want this line to continue.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 5th, 2018 at 1:21:33 PM permalink

Leave it in the past and move on.

Can't do that. I'm deeply bothered for
your future wife, and you possibly
beating her. I'm contacting the authorities
in your state to have you put on the
'Never Marry' list, it's for your own good.
Potential wife beaters must be nipped in
the bud, or have your bud completely
nipped off..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
February 5th, 2018 at 2:39:00 PM permalink

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/28871-trumps-final-100-days/261/#post614080

That and next two posts, particularly:

Quote: terapined, post-1

Are you a hypocrite? [in an accusing manner]

In that case, basically, "It's okay as long as it's in question form, I'm just asking a question."
In the more recent case, basically, "Even though it's in question form, it's still an insult."

Questioning somebody for being a hypocrite is nothing.
Who cares if somebody is a hypocrite
Questioning somebody for beating their wife is vile, disgusting and accusing someone of being a criminal
It is not criminal to be a hypocrite. It is criminal to beat your wife
Huge diff
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
February 5th, 2018 at 2:53:10 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Can't do that. I'm deeply bothered for
your future wife, and you possibly
beating her. I'm contacting the authorities
in your state to have you put on the
'Never Marry' list, it's for your own good.
Potential wife beaters must be nipped in
the bud, or have your bud completely
nipped off..

Last I checked there was a waiting list for guys to get on the "Never Marry" list so thanks there! MGTOW!
RS
RS
February 5th, 2018 at 8:13:14 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Questioning somebody for being a hypocrite is nothing.
Who cares if somebody is a hypocrite

Are you saying that calling someone a hypocrite is not a personal insult? Perhaps my memory's a bit foggy, but I vaguely remember someone being suspended for calling someone else a hypocrite. Unfortunately there was a period where the suspension list wasn't updated, so without lots of searching, it's likely a moot point.
Quote: terapined

Questioning somebody for beating their wife is vile, disgusting and accusing someone of being a criminal
It is not criminal to be a hypocrite. It is criminal to beat your wife
Huge diff

This should be Exhibit #2 that you are just trolling us. Even AFTER being made aware of what "Are you still / have you stopped beating your wife?" means, you continue to project this theory AZD was making an accusation about someone (you or tringlomane, I don't remember anymore at this point) of beating his wife.

As far as me saying tringlomane was trolling, that was my honest opinion. When I hear the phrase, "Are you still beating your wife?" I don't think, "Ah, someone's asking if he still beats his wife!", unless that actually makes sense in the given context. Instead, I think of it as an example of a loaded question. Just like the "You shouldn't cry wolf" saying. If someone says you shouldn't cry wolf, I'm not going to think about it literally, where someone is telling someone not to go up to a wolf and cry to it. Although, I can see how these sayings (or whatever they are) wouldn't make sense to someone who doesn't grow up in the USA or even within the USA where the phrase is used and hadn't really considered that (and it still kind of bottles my mind that some people haven't heard of certain phrases, but I digress).

Mistakes were made, on both sides.

@tringlomane -- I apologize. You're right, you're generally civil and don't get involved in skullduggery. I would like to extend an olive branch to you. If the moderators are OK with it, I'd like to serve the remainder of your "self-suspension" (ending Feb. 28'th), on the sole condition tringlomane be unsuspended for the duration.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
Thanked by
AxelWolfbeachbumbabsonenickelmiracle
February 6th, 2018 at 9:50:20 AM permalink
As someone who is a VIP contributor to this forum, I say we just suspend RS. I'll pay the mods 100 Stanley nickels to make it happen bruh
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
RogerKintRS
February 6th, 2018 at 11:06:53 AM permalink
I'm going to say that RS defended his position well-enough to have not earned a Suspension.

More importantly, maybe just let the Administrators do their jobs and there would be fewer Suspensions, which is what people seem to want. If we make a Suspension without someone suggesting it, then we need to justify giving the Suspension. However, if a complaint is made about someone, then we need to be able to justify NOT giving a Suspension, if that makes any sense.

In other words, the fewer complaints and the less often people call one another out, the fewer Suspensions we will have.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
Thanked by
MaxPen
February 6th, 2018 at 11:41:56 AM permalink
I still think random suspensions are a good idea, that way no one feels left out.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Puckerbutt
Puckerbutt
February 6th, 2018 at 1:08:56 PM permalink

I'm going to say that RS defended his position well-enough to have not earned a Suspension.

More importantly, maybe just let the Administrators do their jobs and there would be fewer Suspensions, which is what people seem to want. If we make a Suspension without someone suggesting it, then we need to justify giving the Suspension. However, if a complaint is made about someone, then we need to be able to justify NOT giving a Suspension, if that makes any sense.

In other words, the fewer complaints and the less often people call one another out, the fewer Suspensions we will have.

Such reverence for The Word to capitalize it each and every time - like they are handed down from a Higher Power. I can only hope one day to see the stone tablets that the rules are etched upon - presumably properly stored in your garage.
If'n I'd a knowed you wanted to have went with me - I'd a seen that you got to get to go.
Mission146
Mission146
February 6th, 2018 at 1:31:06 PM permalink
Quote: Puckerbutt

Such reverence for The Word to capitalize it each and every time - like they are handed down from a Higher Power. I can only hope one day to see the stone tablets that the rules are etched upon - presumably properly stored in your garage.

With all due respect, if you read even a handful of my posts, you'll see that is just my writing style. It has nothing to do with reverence, in informal writing, I just like to occasionally capitalize what I consider to be key words in a sentence. I think it helps them pop.
Puckerbutt
Puckerbutt
February 6th, 2018 at 1:55:09 PM permalink

With all due respect, if you read even a handful of my posts, you'll see that is just my writing style. It has nothing to do with reverence, in informal writing, I just like to occasionally capitalize what I consider to be key words in a sentence. I think it helps them pop.

With - It - I - I. That's all I read in your post - maybe that proves your point?
If'n I'd a knowed you wanted to have went with me - I'd a seen that you got to get to go.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
Thanked by
Mission146
February 6th, 2018 at 2:19:52 PM permalink

Maybe throw in some unnecessary quotes and some sentence fragments. :-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
darkoz
darkoz
February 6th, 2018 at 2:27:53 PM permalink
If it will help the forum i freely admit to beating my wife often

Usually at cards and checkers
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
DeMango
February 6th, 2018 at 3:09:17 PM permalink
Quote: Puckerbutt

With - It - I - I. That's all I read in your post - maybe that proves your point?

I don't know what point you are even trying to make, at this point. I capitalized, 'Suspension,' you had a problem with it, I explained why I did it. I explained that I don't have particular reverence for that, or any other word that I may capitalize, so I don't know what else you want from me.

I--I--I--I--I--I--I--I--Me (I think I counted that right.)

The topic of discussion is the way I write, which is obviously subjective. I don't know how you expect me to respond to the way I write without using first-person pronouns, or alternatively, referring to myself in the third person.

I--I--Me--I--Myself

Make a point or have a pleasant day. I don't care which one.

I

Oh, my point? My point is, if you don't like the way I write, block me.

My--My--I--Me
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
Mission146
February 6th, 2018 at 5:16:08 PM permalink
Thanks, I think you puckered his butt!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
  • Jump to: