Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 5th, 2021 at 12:04:05 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Some of the purported graves in Boot Hill are not real.

People don't realize how much of a so-called old west is fake. It's been a tourist attraction since the 1890s. The actual old west only existed for about 20 to 25 years, from about 1860 to 1885. And most of it was faked in dime novels. I remember in the very early 1970s I was listening to the Paul Harvey Show on the radio and he said that there was not one recorded episode in the old west where 2 men stood in the street and drew their guns on each other. Like in the opening scene of Gunsmoke. I did not believe it but I've since verified that it's true. It's something that was made up in the dime novels. Most killings happened in saloons where men would shoot each other in the back. My grandfather and great-grandfather we're both born in the 19th century. One was born in 1870 and the other was born in 1890. To them the stories of the Old West we're glorious and they both read pulp fiction western novels their entire lives. They both had stacks of westerns next to the rocking chairs and they would read them all day long with big magnifying glasses. It's a time we can't even imagine now, how big the wild west myth was.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 5th, 2021 at 12:32:20 AM permalink
The shootout near the OK Corral was six Cochise Cowboys against the three Earp brothers and Doc Holiday. It took place on the town's Main Street in the middle of the day, so there was plenty of first-hand testimony.
From almost all accounts, the ten men met in the middle of the street, closed to within six feet of each other, and started blasting.
Arizona didn't really get civilized until well after WW1. Rustlers and smugglers owned the night, raiding on both sides of the border.
Very few people wanted to be here until electricity and plumbing came around. My county is still a free-range cattle zone. What that means is it is up to each property owner to keep cattle off their property. Not to keep your cattle in, but to keep other people's cattle out.
I've never seen numbers, but I think there are more cows than people in this county.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
April 5th, 2021 at 8:57:38 AM permalink
In plumbing class, we got a brief history of plumbing before the toilet. The movies miss alot of the old west.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 5th, 2021 at 9:49:08 AM permalink
The REAL adventures of terapined

Sacramento street art

yea, thats my bike
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
terapined
terapined
April 5th, 2021 at 10:28:44 AM permalink
When I was in ABQ, had lunch where they filmed Breaking Bad
This is the spot where they filmed Walt meeting Gus and many other scenes
In reality its Twisters
I also checked out the car wash, motel and the Breaking Bad store during my trip

EvenBob
EvenBob
April 5th, 2021 at 11:18:28 AM permalink

From almost all accounts, the ten men met in the middle of the street, closed to within six feet of each other, and started blasting.

Not the same as two men facing off in the street and drawing their guns. That is the staple of every western tv show and every Western piece of pulp fiction ever written. And it never happened even once. There might have been fast draw gunmen, but they were not hired killers they were mostly in wild west shows. The wild west as we see it in movies and TV never happened. After the Civil War a big percentage of cowboys who worked the cattle drives were African-Americans. Do you ever remember seeing one black guy on the episode of Rawhide? It was a bottom of the barrel low-paying super crappy job and often the only ones that would do it we're former slaves.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 5th, 2021 at 11:18:54 AM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: EvenBob on Apr 5, 2021
billryan
billryan
April 5th, 2021 at 11:51:29 AM permalink
In the west, the term cowboy was similar to the term gang-banger. Calling someone a cowboy was fighting words. Cowboys were rustlers, smugglers, dirtbags. The outlaw bikers of their time. Ranch hands and cowherds were the terms used for people in the legitimate cattle business.
The Cochise Cowboys are often referred to as America's first organized crime syndicate. Estimates are there were two to three hundred of them involved in large-scale rustling and smuggling. It was so bad that at one point, General Sherman, who was the Military Governor
of the territory, asked permission to suspend the posse comitatus act to unleash his two battalions of buffalo soldiers against them.
The cowboys even had their own town- Charleston, said to be the most violent and lawless town in the country. Papa Clanton was killed along with many of the Cowboys during a raid into Sonora and most of the others left the territory when the Arizona Rangers were formed as a quasi-military unit and shoot-on-sight orders were issued.
During the Mexican revolution, when raids across the border once again became common, the Cowboys reformed, supposedly as a neighborhood protection watch that was really just an extortion scam where they attempted to get the local towns and ranchers to pay them to protect them.
It must have been a crazy time here in SE Arizona. There are photos of buffalo soldiers in machine gun nests surrounded by sandbags protecting the business's in Bisbee and Naco and if you want to read a crazy story, look up the bombing of Naco. It's the only town in the US that was ever attacked by the air.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
April 5th, 2021 at 12:40:49 PM permalink

In the west, the term cowboy was similar to the term gang-banger. Calling someone a cowboy was fighting words. Cowboys were rustlers, smugglers, dirtbags. The outlaw bikers of their time. Ranch hands and cowherds were the terms used for people in the legitimate cattle business.
The Cochise Cowboys are often referred to as America's first organized crime syndicate. Estimates are there were two to three hundred of them involved in large-scale rustling and smuggling. It was so bad that at one point, General Sherman, who was the Military Governor
of the territory, asked permission to suspend the posse comitatus act to unleash his two battalions of buffalo soldiers against them.
The cowboys even had their own town- Charleston, said to be the most violent and lawless town in the country. Papa Clanton was killed along with many of the Cowboys during a raid into Sonora and most of the others left the territory when the Arizona Rangers were formed as a quasi-military unit and shoot-on-sight orders were issued.
During the Mexican revolution, when raids across the border once again became common, the Cowboys reformed, supposedly as a neighborhood protection watch that was really just an extortion scam where they attempted to get the local towns and ranchers to pay them to protect them.
It must have been a crazy time here in SE Arizona. There are photos of buffalo soldiers in machine gun nests surrounded by sandbags protecting the business's in Bisbee and Naco and if you want to read a crazy story, look up the bombing of Naco. It's the only town in the US that was ever attacked by the air.

“Attacked by air” would capture 9/11 IMO.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
April 5th, 2021 at 12:49:15 PM permalink
" bombed from the air" might be more appropriate for the Naco incident.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 5th, 2021 at 3:48:14 PM permalink
Well, Pearl Harbor comes to mind. But maybe you mean continental US?

I have always wondered if they ever dropped any bombs from the early Civil War balloons.
But if I remember correctly they were used for reconnaissance/observation.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 5th, 2021 at 4:43:38 PM permalink
Why is Terapined's name in red, did he get suspended from his own Adventures thread? Mister V got suspended to. They are both too adventuresome, that's the problem.
billryan
billryan
April 5th, 2021 at 4:45:57 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Well, Pearl Harbor comes to mind. But maybe you mean continental US?

Hawaii wasn't a state when it was attacked. It was a territory, as were the other US bases that were attacked.

I have always wondered if they ever dropped any bombs from the early Civil War balloons.
But if I remember correctly they were used for reconnaissance/observation.

To drop a bomb ,I'd think a balloon would have to fly over the enemy position. Observation balloons were kept well behind the lines as they must have been great targets for enemy sharpshooters.
coachbelly
coachbelly
  • Threads: 1
April 5th, 2021 at 4:47:08 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Why is Terapined's name in red, did he get suspended from his own Adventures thread? Mister V got suspended to. They are both too adventuresome, that's the problem.

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/info/rules/5288-suspension-list/#post71165
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 5th, 2021 at 5:07:26 PM permalink

To drop a bomb ,I'd think a balloon would have to fly over the enemy position. Observation balloons were kept well behind the lines as they must have been great targets for enemy sharpshooters.

Good points about Hawaii as a territory and the balloons. Your current neck of the woods (SE AZ) sure has a lot of interesting history.
----------

I had a Grateful Dead sticker on the back of my car in my early twenties. I wasn't really a big fan of the Dead, well maybe some of their songs, but I thought the design was cool.

billryan
billryan
April 5th, 2021 at 5:43:10 PM permalink
I'm not sure if I wrote about this here, but a few months ago I was able to gain access to a site on the old Slaughter Ranch that had been used in 1915-16 as a staging area for General Pershing's Punitive Expedition into Mexico. It's not usually open to the public but a friend of a friend called in a favor. I was told I could keep any small things I found- buttons, knives, etc but not to use a metal detector. There were a few adobe buildings, mostly half intact, and the remains of the latrines were there. A couple of burned-out vehicles that you can recognize, and for reasons unknown, there is a WW2 halftrack that was stripped and abandoned. I didn't stay long as there were snakes all over and I was alone.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
April 6th, 2021 at 9:04:33 AM permalink

After the Civil War a big percentage of cowboys who worked the cattle drives were African-Americans. Do you ever remember seeing one black guy on the episode of Rawhide? It was a bottom of the barrel low-paying super crappy job and often the only ones that would do it we're former slaves.

Good point. The only Black actor I recall every seeing in a TV Western was Sammy Davis in an episode of Wild Wild West. I checked IMDB and he was also on Lawman, Zane Grey Theater, and a show I never heard of: Frontier Circus. Of the four appearances the only one where he plays a cowboy was the 1961 Lawman episode:

As for the general point that everything we read, heard, or were taught about the Wild West was B.S., remember the the lesson from "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence": when the legend becomes fact, print the legend
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
billryan
billryan
April 6th, 2021 at 10:04:22 AM permalink
Until sometime after WW2, Bisbee was a " sundown town". Negroes were not allowed to be in the city limits overnight unless they were employed as domestics and a few other exceptions.
Indians, Mexicans, Negroes, and Chinese were eligible to work for the mines, but not in the mines.
There was an all-black town called Fry, mostly made up of former Buffalo Soldiers from Fort Huachuca. In the 1950s, the Federal Government seized the town under eminent domain to build a regional air strip displacing the hundred or so families.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 13th, 2021 at 5:04:41 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I love Johnny Cash
Was in Sacramento last week and surprised how much respect he gets
Love this

Folsom (Folsom Prison) is a Sacramento suburb if you weren’t aware.

Did you check out the Blythe Intaglios when you were out by Quartzite/Ehrenburg? Such a wide variety of things to explore out West, I can get a bit “canyoned and arched out” hiking wise after a while though gets to be the same thing.
terapined
terapined
April 13th, 2021 at 5:52:41 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I love Johnny Cash
Love this\\\

Did you check out the Blythe Intaglios when you were out by Quartzite/Ehrenburg? Such a wide variety of things to explore out West, I can get a bit “canyoned and arched out” hiking wise after a while though gets to be the same thing.

Dont intend to update this thread anymore or participate here much
Never a main audience for me anyway
Send me a PM and you can get my FB link with all the pics I've taken
Or go over to DT and I'll answer and maybe post some pics from Quartzite
I dont feel welcomed here
This place has gotten weird
Trolls are really protected here while those that make real contributions to this forum are not and actually have a target on their back.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
DogHand
April 13th, 2021 at 6:03:25 PM permalink

Quote: mcallister3200

I love Johnny Cash
Love this\\\

Dont intend to update this thread anymore or participate here much
Never a main audience for me anyway
Send me a PM and you can get my FB link with all the pics I've taken
Or go over to DT and I'll answer and maybe post some pics from Quartzite
This place has gotten weird
Trolls are really protected here while those that make real contributions to this forum are not and actually have a target on their back.

Ed.... most members enjoy your contributions. Just ignore any poster you consider a troll.
LVJackal
LVJackal
  • Threads: 4
April 13th, 2021 at 7:49:55 PM permalink
Unlurked to second SOOPOO's comments, aside from the derailments and antagonism, I am really enjoying this thread and would rather see it here than
Freakbook which I rarely load, and always regret.
coachbelly
coachbelly
  • Threads: 1
April 13th, 2021 at 8:40:38 PM permalink

those that make real contributions to this forum are not and actually have a target on their back.

You can blame yourself.

Nobody was bothering you until you became antagonistic.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 13th, 2021 at 11:47:43 PM permalink

Like the Wiz always says when people threaten to leave, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
FTB
FTB
  • Threads: 7
April 14th, 2021 at 7:21:18 AM permalink

I dont know what EB posts, had him blocked for years

Playing #DH Texas Poker# Texas Hold 'Em by Droid Hen Droidhen use referral code 8pjpdna
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
AxelWolf
April 14th, 2021 at 11:28:42 AM permalink

Like the Wiz always says when people threaten to leave, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Says Even Bob!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
SOOPOO
April 14th, 2021 at 11:42:59 AM permalink
When I was moving from Vegas to Bisbee, I hired a guy to help me prepare for the move. He was really good the first two days and told me he was a truck driver who ha his commercial license suspended for a year for not keeping proper logs. When I said that seemed harsh, he said it was his third offense.
Anyways, as the week progressed, his work got weaker and weaker and the day we were supposed to take the first truckload down, he showed up high as a kite and an hour late. There was no way he was driving, and I told him he really screwed up my plans.
He looked at me and said "It couldn't have been much of a plan if I could screw it up"
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 14th, 2021 at 7:29:25 PM permalink

He looked at me and said "It couldn't have been much of a plan if I could screw it up"

Those kind of people scare me because they know they're screw-ups, and they don't even attempt to try not being screw-ups. Like the guys you see on Live PD who gets pulled over for their fifth DWI. They don't care who they kill, they're screw-ups they and don't even try to change.
terapined
terapined
August 17th, 2021 at 12:59:09 PM permalink
For some reason, they had me over serve a suspension for a few extra months
weird
No biggie, hardly noticed. Having too much fun exploring the country
Had a truly OMG moment
Really an OTG moment (Oh Their God)
Was at a pioneer museum in Glendive MT
The real adventures of Terapined is exploring Montana this month
Nice old stuff
Then
Saw a what looked like a really cool museum down the road with a dino head sticking out of the wall
Thats so cool.
So I went in
OMG
I was completely shocked
scripture
WTF
A museum showing proof that the bible predicted Dino's and humans lived with Dino's
Dino's were on the ark.
WTF WTF WTF
I wanted to see the evidence but could not in good conscious pay the admission thereby supporting their religious BS
Georgetown and Notre Dame can teach faith and real science but they keep it separate
This is insanity
The Governor of Montana, Greg Gianforte, is a huge supporter of this FAKE museum
He's one of their biggest donors
WTF
Cant believe how stupid people are in Montana to elect a religious clown that lies about science. Museum claims bones just thousands of years old, not millions.
I expect this from the deep south like Huckabee, not MT. Sheesh

From wikipedia
"By some accounts, Gianforte was the largest single donor to the project.[6] Records indicate that the Gianforte foundation has donated approximately $290,000 to Advancing Creation Truth"

unJon
unJon
August 17th, 2021 at 1:05:29 PM permalink
Terapined, welcome back. Unless you meant that post to get you another vacation from the site, you should consider deleting it and posting on DT.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 17th, 2021 at 1:07:58 PM permalink
My wife's family believes there were dinosaurs here during the last ice age 10,000 years ago. Not just woolly mammoths but Tyrannosaurus Rex and the rest of them. When they talk like that in front of me I just pretend I don't hear them. Arguing with them is a fatal mistake if you want to remain in good graces within the family.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
unJon
August 17th, 2021 at 1:33:55 PM permalink

For some reason, they had me over serve a suspension for a few extra months

You'd been suspended 2 months plus 8 days over stay. Sorry about that. I did say in PM that we owed you some credit
Quote:

I was completely shocked
scripture
WTF
A museum showing proof that the bible predicted Dino's and humans lived with Dino's
Dino's were on the ark.
WTF WTF WTF
I wanted to see the evidence but could not in good conscious pay the admission thereby supporting their religious BS
Georgetown and Notre Dame can teach faith and real science but they keep it separate
This is insanity
The Governor of Montana, Greg Gianforte, is a huge supporter of this FAKE museum
He's one of their biggest donors
WTF
Cant believe how stupid people are in Montana to elect a religious clown that lies about science. Museum claims bones just thousands of years old, not millions.
I expect this from the deep south like Huckabee, not MT. Sheesh

From wikipedia
"By some accounts, Gianforte was the largest single donor to the project.[6] Records indicate that the Gianforte foundation has donated approximately $290,000 to Advancing Creation Truth"

Quote: unJon

Terapined, welcome back. Unless you meant that post to get you another vacation from the site, you should consider deleting it and posting on DT.

Oh! I found your post fascinating and I understand and I agree with your stance, (We are allowed our beliefs and disbeliefs here) BUT, you posted some comments that spanned both the topics of religion and politics. Which has earned you a reminder of rule 19.
Whether deriding those beliefs and sponsorship is or should be considered controversial is interesting in itself. But let's just not go there.
Oh! And no warnings from me for the WTF and OMG and BS which I personally don't find to be profanities.
No penalty on this occasion. I'm not going to cross any credits off your 8day GOOJF card.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
unJon
unJon
August 17th, 2021 at 1:35:29 PM permalink
Love it. OD making a run to shed the WMOAT label.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
August 17th, 2021 at 1:39:08 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Love it. OD making a run to shed the WMOAT label.

Less is more, my friend. Less is more.

Hey Terapined..... did you keep up to speed here? We have two new moderators to compete with me on the suspend button.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
billryan
billryan
August 17th, 2021 at 2:07:32 PM permalink
If California can have a theme park that features rodents and people living together, why can't Montana or wherever have a museum where people and dinosaurs work together in harmony.
terapined
terapined
August 17th, 2021 at 3:48:16 PM permalink

If California can have a theme park that features rodents and people living together, why can't Montana or wherever have a museum where people and dinosaurs work together in harmony.

Been done but they did not call themselves a museum
Bedrock theme park featuring the Flintstones
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 20th, 2021 at 10:58:30 AM permalink

Been done but they did not call themselves a museum
Bedrock theme park featuring the Flintstones

I still think the Flintstones was the best animated series ever made. Homer Simpson just doesn't have the acting talent that Fred Flintstone has.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
August 20th, 2021 at 11:31:38 AM permalink
I loved the Flintstones as a kid. I didn't care for the live movies but I'll occasionally watch a few minutes of the original show. I've no idea why, but the Great Gazoo rings my bell.
terapined
terapined
September 13th, 2021 at 4:07:10 PM permalink
Visiting the holy grail is Seattle
The Guitar Jimmi used to play the Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock and the guitar he smashed ad Monterey.
What I dont get
Pearl Jam and Nirvana had bigger displays

FastEddie
FastEddie
  • Threads: 0
September 13th, 2021 at 4:39:02 PM permalink
Speaking about Woodstock any tribute to Country Joe? I mean you tube has the F*** cheer and it aint fish plus the Vietnam song. Wish I knew hope to post a link. Sigh
terapined
terapined
September 13th, 2021 at 4:49:09 PM permalink
Quote: FastEddie

Speaking about Woodstock any tribute to Country Joe?

Jimmi is a Seattle native
I think Country Joe is out of the bay area
I saw him live once
Hilton ballroom in Eugene Oregon around 1994
Is was after a Grateful Dead show at Autzen
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 13th, 2021 at 7:25:14 PM permalink

Visiting the holy grail is Seattle
The Guitar Jimmi used to play the Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock and the guitar he smashed ad Monterey.
What I dont get
Pearl Jam and Nirvana had bigger displays

Probably because most people alive don't remember Hendrix. I am 55 and don't remember him.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
FastEddie
FastEddie
September 13th, 2021 at 8:11:31 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Probably because most people alive don't remember Hendrix. I am 55 and don't remember him.

• link to original post

You should watch Country Joe at. Woodstock on Utube. What a classic. He was?summoned when another band did not show up. Just Joe no fish. Someone loaned him a guitar. He used a rope for a strap. Somebody was filming a documentary. Joe was not a headliner at all. Nobody was watching him.
    He asked the stage manager if he could do the F*** cheer. The guy said do whatever you want. Nobody is watching you.
    Well the cheer got the crowd going. When he sang his Vietnam song he was shocked people knew the words. The song lyrics tell you all you need to know about that war and all the brave young men who wasted thier lives. I am a vietnam era vet and that song says it all.
    Last edited by: unnamed administrator on Sep 13, 2021
    FastEddie
    FastEddie
    September 13th, 2021 at 8:13:33 PM permalink
    Damn Am I in trouble for making a political statement ?
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    • Threads: 16
    September 13th, 2021 at 11:19:48 PM permalink
    Quote: FastEddie

Am I in trouble for making a political statement ?

• link to original post

No, there was a formatting error.
    Clean up your language.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    terapined
    terapined
    September 18th, 2021 at 5:51:45 PM permalink
    Saw this is Seattle
    I like it but what is it about?
    DogHand
    DogHand
    • Threads: 2
    Thanked by
    Dieter
    September 19th, 2021 at 1:53:48 AM permalink

Saw this is Seattle
    I like it but what is it about?

• link to original post

terapined,

That mural on Seattle's State Hotel is by Shepard Fairey... The link below has some information about it:

https://www.statehotel.com/artists.php

By the way, here is a link that shows and discusses many other Seattle murals:

https://theevergrey.com/seattle-iconic-murals-history/

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
    terapined
    terapined
    September 19th, 2021 at 9:41:54 AM permalink
    Quote: DogHand

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

Thanks
    Found this in Oregon
    Love it
    terapined
    terapined
    September 19th, 2021 at 8:23:13 PM permalink
    Downtown Portland yesterday
    They tried to convert me
    I explained that I was an atheist.
    terapined
    terapined
    September 19th, 2021 at 9:08:46 PM permalink
    Portland yesterday somebody tried to steal my bike. I take my bike everywhere on the back of my truck. Sometimes I ride it, sometimes I leave it in the truck. Its kind of deceptive doesn't look locked up, just bungie cords. Well it is locked. Somebody undid the bungie cords probably thinking bike not locked to the truck but it is.
    • Jump to: