Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 78
March 29th, 2021 at 7:17:25 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Ed... I know we argue about certain political crap over on the other forum... but I LOVE your adventures...!!! I am not a ‘music’ guy but will definitely go to that museum in Phoenix.

I think I’ve mentioned this before.... but wife played with Timothy McVeigh as a young kid.... no prediction of his future....
I have no interest in seeing that museum.....

I think if I started a thread about my adventures.... how BORING it would be!

I am not a big museum guy, but if you are in OKC you should definitely stop by the memorial. You also need to stop at the Cattelman's steakhouse. It was nothing like I was expecting which made it worth the stop for me. I was expecting a traditional high end steakhouse but it is completely the opposite. In my opinion is is just a diner that is famous for selling their steaks. It is located amongst the stockyards in OKC.
Order from chaos
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
March 29th, 2021 at 7:23:27 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I am not a big museum guy, but if you are in OKC you should definitely stop by the memorial.

The Real adventures of terapined

Just posted about it earlier in this thread
That's why Soopoo brought it up
The whole memorial is incredibly moving

It's right up there with the Lorrsine motel balcony. Of course I checked it out on my adventures. You get chills looking on that balcony knowing what happened.
I think every American should at one point in your life go to the Lorraine motel. The civil rights museum they built attached to the motel is just as moving and emotional as OKC
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 78
March 29th, 2021 at 7:27:04 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

The Real adventures of terapined

Just posted about it earlier in this thread
That's why Soopoo brought it up
The whole memorial is incredibly moving

It's right up there with the Lorrsine motel balcony. Of course I checked it out on my adventures. You get chills looking on that balcony knowing what happened.
I think every American should at one point in your life go to the Lorraine motel. The civil rights museum they built attached to the motel is just as moving and emotional as OKC

I did not make it to the balcony or the Lorraine motel as it was too crowded with a long line. The civil rights museum I enjoyed more than I expected.
Order from chaos
terapined
terapined
March 29th, 2021 at 7:44:39 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I did not make it to the balcony or the Lorraine motel as it was too crowded with a long line. The civil rights museum I enjoyed more than I expected.

The REAL adventures of terapined

Yea, it was a real long wait but really no biggie
I go up to the ticket window at 11am
They sell me a 2pm ticket.
Wow, 3 hours
It's a very busy place
I'm prepared
I'm actually on my bike
I love riding my bike all over different cities
I just hopped on my bike and rode all over Memphis then came back at 2pm to take the tour
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
terapined
terapined
March 29th, 2021 at 8:14:03 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I watched a documentary about this place. The documentary was fascinating, I'm just not sure that it would be on my list of places I would really care to visit, unless, I just happened to be in the area for some other reason.

Dont be fooled by other adventures
Only genuine real factual adventures in this thread

I had no idea Slab city existed. I was actually on my way to check out East Jesus. It's an artist community which in reality is a slab city suburb.
So I had to go through Slab city to get to East Jesus. I was blown away. After getting back to the camper, read all about it on the internet. Went back as a somewhat educated visitor. Talked to a lot of people. I was just fascinated by the place. I love the huge sign out front. "Welcome to Slab City where FREEDOM lives large"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
March 29th, 2021 at 8:39:56 AM permalink
There is a community like that near the Arizona/ New Mexico border. Some internet kid made a fortune doing something and bought about a thousand acres of land and pretty much opened it up to anyone. The community welcomes anyone for a few days and then votes if you can stay or have to go. It's off-grid and while they try to keep it on the quiet side, they recently had a film crew out for some cable show. It's a very remote location, accessible only by four wheel drive.
terapined
terapined
March 29th, 2021 at 9:23:44 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

There is a community like that near the Arizona/ New Mexico border. Some internet kid made a fortune doing something and bought about a thousand acres of land and pretty much opened it up to anyone. The community welcomes anyone for a few days and then votes if you can stay or have to go. It's off-grid and while they try to keep it on the quiet side, they recently had a film crew out for some cable show. It's a very remote location, accessible only by four wheel drive.

Interesting
Seems a lot of places like that in the desert
I spent a week in Quartzite AZ
Summer a couple hundred, winter thousands
I found Quartzite pretty interesting
It's rock central there. Never seen so many rocks for sale in my life. Never seen so many boondockers in my life
Visited the hi-jolly grave marker
Pretty incredible guy
US Army brought him over here from the middle east during the civil war for a camel project
Became a local icon and when he died they honored him with a monument
Last edited by: terapined on Mar 29, 2021
terapined
terapined
March 29th, 2021 at 10:40:36 AM permalink
The real Adventures of terapined

When I land in an area for a week, I check out anything interesting within an hour drive
anybody into trains
I love trains
Went to the Tehachapi Loop.
I sat there for about an hour till I was able to see a train do the loop
Its so tight, you see it come out of a tunnel taking the tight loop going over the tunnel while cars are still coming out
Really neat. Kind of a snake eating its tail.
A tight loop carrying the train 77 feet higher
Pretty impressive
terapined
terapined
March 29th, 2021 at 10:55:26 AM permalink
The real Adventures of terapined
No fake adventures
Its all the real deal
And if somebody demands proof, its free free free
like the turbo tax commercial free free free

Just as I was fascinated by Slab City
Equally fascinated by nearby Bombay Beach and the Salton sea
Back in the early 1900's, water from the Colorado river was released into the desert creating a sea
It was stocked with fish that thrived and Bombay Beach became a huge resort town despite its days being numbered
No water source. No bottom feeders to help the ecology
It became saltier and dirtier from farm runoff as water evaporated and algae spread
Fish died, place stunk, resort abandoned
I walked the beach and drove around Bombay Beach
No way I was touching that disgusting sea water
Eventually this sea will dry up and all those chemicals in the sea will end up blowing in the dust becoming an ecological disaster
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
March 29th, 2021 at 11:16:29 AM permalink
I love exploring the West. It is just so open and much of its history still lives.
One of the saddest places I've come across is Catherdral Canyon, on the California/Nevada border, an hour northwest of Vegas.
An eccentric businessman who may or may not have had a very shady past back east built a shrine to World Peace and imported beautiful religious states and icons to establish a spectacular oasis well worth traveling to. After he died, his backstory fell apart and his estate was contested for decades. Without funding, the Canyon just disintegrated from nature, vandals, and thieves.
It's still worth visiting but little remains but the bases and grottos carved into the walls to shield the icons, and caves that once were functional restrooms.

• Jump to: