Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 132
Thanks for this post from:
unJon
September 13th, 2021 at 9:05:55 AM permalink
Mission's Monday Vitriol Takes

Cowboys 29 @ Buccaneers 31: I'd really hate to start a Mission's Monday Vitriol this way, especially on Week 1, but this was just an excellent game played by both sides. Yes, the messiah dispatched of the false prophet and all of that, but I'm really hoping it's a playoff preview.

Seahawks 28 @ Colts 16: Russell Wilson went 18/23 for 254 Yards and 4 Touchdowns against no interceptions. There are probably still Wilson detractors out there that will point to his five credited carries for nine yards and yell, "See? I told you he's a run-first quarterback!"

Jaguars 21 @ Texans 37: Hey, look, it's Tyrod Taylor! I wonder how the Bills would have fared yesterday if they still had that guy? Why were the Jaguars favored in this one? Does drafting a great QB prospect really undo almost a half decade of systematic self-destruction?

Eagles 32 @ Falcons 6: Jalen always Hurts, but yesterday, Jalen Hurts Matt. (Don't groan. Come on. You know the pro sports writers are going to be doing it, too). I guess 26 points is enough of a lead for the Eagles if 25 won't do it for the Falcons.

Chargers 20 @ Washington 16: Where was the football team? Washington said they would be bringing a football team. Defense was fine; I guess they brought half of a football team. Why are they still, "Football Team!!??" They've had a year to come up with something!

Steelers 23 @ Bills 16: Six yards per passing attempt, not completion. Roethlisberger's fat ass should have left when the Killer B's did, so the Steelers could move on at quarterback rather than some weird mediocrity holding pattern. That said, some games you don't really need the offense to do a lot. I at least hope the defensive trend continues, the Steelers are good at reminding people Allen is mortal.

49ers 41 @ Lions 33: Instead of losing with great quarterback play, at least the Lions will only be losing with above average quarterback play from now on.

Vikings 24 @ Bengals 27: Haha, Kirk Cousins, even when you don't suck, you still suck. Now, everyone point and laugh at the kids who lost to the Bungles! This shouldn't change anything. The Bengals should still be awful and the Vikings anywhere from 7-10 to 10-7 and a Wildcard loss.

Jets 14: @ Carolina 19: The Jets let that mediocrity go...and it was all fun and games until they had to face that mediocrity in Week 1 and he, sort of, made them pay. He had two touchdowns (one rushing). I don't know. Teams can't all be winners and games can't all be winners, what's the win Over/Under for these two teams combined? Ten? Twelve?

Kyler Murray 38 @ Titans 13:

Browns: 29 @ Chiefs: 33: That's funny, Mayfield literally lives in a stadium (according to the commercials) and he still doesn't seem to know where the endzone is. Even when he manages to find it, he still manages to find the other team almost as often. Patrick said, "The endzone is Ma' Home, boy!" See, because Mahomes...and ma' home....and KC was at home...ah, forget it.

Dolphins: 17 @ Patriots 16: Mac Jones dishing the ball to all sorts of targets with high accuracy. Looks a little familiar. This game was important because the AFC East's feelings might have been hurt if the Division went into Week 2 with no wins. Wait, why does the NFC East have a win? They didn't play any inter-division games.

Broncos 27 @ Giants 13: The waters have been troubled at the Broncos QB position since Manning retired, but it looks like a bridge may have been built over them. They don't necessarily need greatness, just competence, and Teddy can bring that.

Packers 3 @ Saints 38: Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Welcome to opposite world, where 25% of Jameis Winston's 20 pass attempts are touchdowns and Aaron Rodgers....bahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! *$$%^ you, Aaron Rodgers!

Bears 14 @ Rams 34: Instead of failing to win Super Bowls with a quarterback who is merely above average, the Rams will now fail to win super bowls with a great quarterback. Don't let this game fool you, playing the Bears is the stress test to determine mediocrity or sub-mediocrity, has been for decades.

Ravens @ Raiders Tonight: Eight wins, ten million dollars. Seven wins, ten million dollars. Four wins, ten million dollars. That's 1.58 million per win, for those of you keeping score. You guys sure Del Rio couldn't have done this cheaper? The Raiders went 12-4 in 2016, you know? I don't expect Gruden to improve his millions:wins ratio in this one.
Last edited by: Mission146 on Sep 13, 2021
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
September 13th, 2021 at 9:06:32 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Quote: gordonm888

WOV contestants were 35-25 in the early games; late games may have more bad surprises.

• link to original post

Or just worse pickers. My 5-0 picks this week were all early games. ;-)
  • link to original post

6-0 with the Confidence Pick? Nice!
    https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
    JohnnyQ
    JohnnyQ
    • Threads: 234
    Mission146
    September 13th, 2021 at 9:23:48 AM permalink
    Quote: Mission146

Browns: 29 @ Chiefs: 33: That's funny, Mayfield literally lives in the stadium (according to the commercials) and he still doesn't seem to know where the endzone is. Even when he manages to find it, he still manages to find the other team almost as often. Patrick said, "The endzone is Ma' Home, boy!" See, because Mahomes...and ma' home....ah, forget it.

Yep Baker has the local ads and Patrick has the national ones.

Anyhows, good for the Brownies for MAYBE not totally sucking for a 2nd year in a row ( time will tell ). BAD for the CHIEFS for not being able to cover the spread and messing up my Confidence Pick.

Interesting to see a TON of On-line Sports Book ads when the home of the Browns doesn't have that yet.
    Like the castle in its corner In a medieval game; I foresee terrible trouble And I stay here just the same
    Mission146
    Mission146
    September 13th, 2021 at 9:27:59 AM permalink
    Quote: JohnnyQ

Yep Baker has the local ads and Patrick has the national ones.

Anyhows, good for the Brownies for MAYBE not totally sucking for a 2nd year in a row ( time will tell ). BAD for the CHIEFS for not being able to cover the spread and messing up my Confidence Pick.

Interesting to see a TON of On-line Sports Book ads when the home of the Browns doesn't have that yet.

• link to original post

It's all going to be about what they do in the Division, I think. This is still miles away from Hue Jackson; I look at the Browns schedule and still can't point to any games and say, "That's definitely a win," but I can't say, "That's definitely a loss," either.

I'd set the bar at 9-8 for an acceptable season. I never thought I'd say that about the Browns. Actually, I never thought I'd say that about anyone, but you know what I mean.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 228
    Mission146
    September 13th, 2021 at 9:34:44 AM permalink

Steelers 23 @ Bills 16: Six yards per passing attempt, not completion. Roethlisberger's fat ass should have left when the Killer B's did, so the Steelers could move on at quarterback rather than some weird mediocrity holding pattern. That said, some games you don't really need the offense to do a lot. I at least hope the defensive trend continues, the Steelers are good at reminding people Allen is mortal.

It is going to be a long year for Steeler fans. A blocked punt was the difference? Ben still looked confident, but the rest of the offense was a big "meh." I kind of think when Ben goes it will be like the post-Bradshaw period, which was 10 years of wandering from mediocre QB to mediocre QB or worse.

TRIVIA: Bradshaw's replacement was Cliff Stoudt. He was so despised the Pittsburgh Maulers came closest ever to a USFL sellout* so Pittsburgh fans could throw snowballs at him when he came to town.

*AFIK. I am not hunting the details, this is how I remember it from way back.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    Mission146
    Mission146
    September 13th, 2021 at 10:24:27 AM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

It is going to be a long year for Steeler fans. A blocked punt was the difference? Ben still looked confident, but the rest of the offense was a big "meh." I kind of think when Ben goes it will be like the post-Bradshaw period, which was 10 years of wandering from mediocre QB to mediocre QB or worse.

TRIVIA: Bradshaw's replacement was Cliff Stoudt. He was so despised the Pittsburgh Maulers came closest ever to a USFL sellout* so Pittsburgh fans could throw snowballs at him when he came to town.

• link to original post

Call it loyalty; call it stability; call it insanity; it's all the same thing.

The problem with kicking a can down a road that ends in a cliff is that you have to eventually kick your can off a cliff; that's made worse when you have no choice but to go anywhere the can goes. It's made worse still when you're passing all of these different intersections that may lead to downhill slopes, but are followed by uphill climbs back up a new mountain.

The problem with Ben Roethlisberger is that he and Philip Rivers are the same guy; always have been. Rivers is retired. Roethlisberger isn't.

The problem for the Steelers is threefold:

1. Roethlisberger isn't Tom Brady.

2. The Steelers aren't even pretending that Roethlisberger is Tom Brady.

3. Roethlisberger didn't run ahead of the can and fall off the cliff first.

So, what do we make of this?

Problem #1: Obvious, he's not Tom Brady.

Problem #2: The other two B's left and the Steelers haven't really tried to build a Super Bowl winning offense around Ben. They have a defense that is maybe a contender, but you'd need the perfect storm first for the offense to do just enough every time it is needed, and second, for the offense to never have to do more than just enough.

Problem #3: The biggest problem is that Roethlisberger didn't run ahead of the can and off the cliff. If he had, then someone else could get behind the can and kick it such that it makes a turn down a different road.

Fact is, Pittsburgh Steelers fans are too demanding. It's easier to do a planned rebuild than it is to constantly try to semi-rebuild. They're going down a road that leads to where the Broncos have been since winning that Super Bowl. Has it only been six years? Probably seems longer if you're a Broncos fan.

Problem for the Steelers is that it's been over a decade and now a few years since they built a team that wouldn't need to catch lightning in a bottle. Over a decade already.

But, the fans are too demanding. The fans are not going to put up with your four or five win season without calling for Tomlin's head, even if it's a planned rebuild. At the expense of the, "Win now," philosophy comes the problem of not, "Winning big," or winning the big one.

But, Roethlisberger hasn't done anything in the last few seasons that Sam Darnold couldn't. Hell, he hasn't done anything that Sam Bradford couldn't, and that guy's retired, too. One difference between Darnold and Roethlisberger is that Darnold has a lot of can kicking left to do. I don't know what they'd have to do to get him, but they should have done that.

The can's running out of space, and no matter how softly you kick it, it becomes that much more dented.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    • Threads: 112
    September 13th, 2021 at 10:25:03 AM permalink
    I think I went 0-6. Bills lost by 7 as fave. Packers lost by a million as faves. Falcons lost by a bunch as faves. Bears got smoked. I think I had Lions also so that must mean they lost too.

I will sell my picks for $10 a pick for those who want the easy fade….
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 228
    Mission146
    September 13th, 2021 at 12:51:06 PM permalink

• link to original post

Call it loyalty; call it stability; call it insanity; it's all the same thing.

The problem with kicking a can down a road that ends in a cliff is that you have to eventually kick your can off a cliff; that's made worse when you have no choice but to go anywhere the can goes. It's made worse still when you're passing all of these different intersections that may lead to downhill slopes, but are followed by uphill climbs back up a new mountain.

The problem with Ben Roethlisberger is that he and Philip Rivers are the same guy; always have been. Rivers is retired. Roethlisberger isn't.

The problem for the Steelers is threefold:

1. Roethlisberger isn't Tom Brady.

2. The Steelers aren't even pretending that Roethlisberger is Tom Brady.

3. Roethlisberger didn't run ahead of the can and fall off the cliff first.

So, what do we make of this?

Problem #1: Obvious, he's not Tom Brady.

Problem #2: The other two B's left and the Steelers haven't really tried to build a Super Bowl winning offense around Ben. They have a defense that is maybe a contender, but you'd need the perfect storm first for the offense to do just enough every time it is needed, and second, for the offense to never have to do more than just enough.

Problem #3: The biggest problem is that Roethlisberger didn't run ahead of the can and off the cliff. If he had, then someone else could get behind the can and kick it such that it makes a turn down a different road.

Fact is, Pittsburgh Steelers fans are too demanding. It's easier to do a planned rebuild than it is to constantly try to semi-rebuild. They're going down a road that leads to where the Broncos have been since winning that Super Bowl. Has it only been six years? Probably seems longer if you're a Broncos fan.

Problem for the Steelers is that it's been over a decade and now a few years since they built a team that wouldn't need to catch lightning in a bottle. Over a decade already.

But, the fans are too demanding. The fans are not going to put up with your four or five win season without calling for Tomlin's head, even if it's a planned rebuild. At the expense of the, "Win now," philosophy comes the problem of not, "Winning big," or winning the big one.

But, Roethlisberger hasn't done anything in the last few seasons that Sam Darnold couldn't. Hell, he hasn't done anything that Sam Bradford couldn't, and that guy's retired, too. One difference between Darnold and Roethlisberger is that Darnold has a lot of can kicking left to do. I don't know what they'd have to do to get him, but they should have done that.

The can's running out of space, and no matter how softly you kick it, it becomes that much more dented.
  • link to original post

I would not call the fans "too demanding." Look at Pirate fans. They do not demand anything, and they get what they demand. Well, lots of that home attendance is out of towners. I have been told by hotel workers how much busier local hotels are when the Pirates are in town. The fans still demand little and as a result the get a team of jobbers. The AZ Cardinals were the same thing until they got their current stadium.

As a result, the Steelres are the only team that has not had a total wipeout year of less than 5 wins since 1970.

Expect the Steelers 2020s to be similar to their 1980s in which they finished exactly .500.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    • Threads: 50
    September 13th, 2021 at 12:53:51 PM permalink
    What is the post-mortem on the Packers?

1) The Saints are really, really good.
    2) The talent on the Packers' roster is bad
    3) Aaron Rodgers has a bad attitude- which may have spread to his team - and they are playing below their potential
    4) Aaron Rodgers just got old real fast.
    5) The Packers' coaching is bad.
    6) What Rodgers' says: "Its just one game."
    So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
    Mission146
    Mission146
    September 13th, 2021 at 1:04:20 PM permalink

I would not call the fans "too demanding." Look at Pirate fans. They do not demand anything, and they get what they demand. Well, lots of that home attendance is out of towners. I have been told by hotel workers how much busier local hotels are when the Pirates are in town. The fans still demand little and as a result the get a team of jobbers. The AZ Cardinals were the same thing until they got their current stadium.

As a result, the Steelres are the only team that has not had a total wipeout year of less than 5 wins since 1970.

Expect the Steelers 2020s to be similar to their 1980s in which they finished exactly .500.

• link to original post

What is a, "Pirates Fan"? Do they still have those? Spend Nutting, get Nutting. You can't change the standard without first changing ownership and there's no reason for ownership to want to be changed when utter sucktitude is rewarded by league revenue-sharing. What you end up with is an MLB team that's really just a link in the fence that is the farm system. Here are the steps for a financially successful franchise:

1.) Exist.

2.) Profit.

No incentive to win, unless you can win almost completely without spending. Even if you can, then the reasons why you won themselves can increase your profit margin---by being traded.

I don't think that there's any fan demand there because there's nothing for the fans to demand. Nothing that they realistically can demand. I guess they could demand a complete organizational overhaul of the MLB itself, but that seems unlikely. Hotels tend to be busier in the Summer, concert season, golfing, outdoor work to do, boating, fishing...I think the only added business that the Pirates really bring hotels is whatever hotel the opposing team and their staff stays at.

• Jump to: