2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 6
May 27th, 2024 at 2:29:11 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

pretty surprising - maybe shocking is a better word - because of a class action lawsuit - if a judge approves it - NCAA athletes will get paid by their colleges under a revenue sharing agreement

it's a pretty complicated thing - I'm not completely clear on how it will work

https://archive.ph/xns6v

in other news the great Caitlin Clark is struggling in her 5 game debut in the WNBA

her p.p.g. is 18 - it was 28 in college - and her 2 and 3 pt. field goal % is well down from her college stats

I would assume (I don't really know the WNBA) that the women there are in general quite a bit bigger, stronger and faster than her college rivals

link to original post

There are only 144 active players in the WNBA, so each team really is made up of the best college players. Move up a level=move up in level of competition.

Could also be she's a good player on a bad team...
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
May 27th, 2024 at 2:34:08 PM permalink

pretty surprising - maybe shocking is a better word - because of a class action lawsuit - if a judge approves it - NCAA athletes will get paid by their colleges under a revenue sharing agreement

in other news the great Caitlin Clark is struggling in her 5 game debut in the WNBA

her p.p.g. is 18 - it was 28 in college - and her 2 and 3 pt. field goal % is well down from her college stats

I would assume (I don't really know the WNBA) that the women there are in general quite a bit bigger, stronger and faster than her college rivals

link to original post

The devil is in the details of the settlement. Would each D1 athlete get the same, or woudl each team pay their player's differently? Would it be the same pay rate for men and women? If not, how would colleges avoid a Title IX lawsuit? Will there be a D1 salary cap, or no? Lots of unanswered questions.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 28th, 2024 at 6:16:58 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Rafael Nadal is playing perhaps his last match on clay at the French Open as I type this. It’s an opening round match against the number 4 seed. His record over his career in opening round matches on clay is

113-1.

Not sure where that ranks on amazing career feats but has to be pretty high.

He’s already down 2 sets to none. But up 2-0 early third set.
link to original post

Probably the best Clay court player ever.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 233
May 30th, 2024 at 5:01:06 AM permalink
the MLB is now incorporating the stats of the Negro Leagues into the official stats -

this means that:

Josh Gibson is now the single season batting, slugging and OPS Champion - his batting average was .466 in 1943

Gibson is also the MLB's all time batting, slugging and OPS leader

Satchel Paige's season in 1941 in the Negro Leagues was the greatest ever by a pitcher - a he had a 1.01 era - he struck out more batters per inning and he held his opponents to a .179 batting average (although he pitched fewer games than others)

Paige later had a few impressive years in the MLB after he was allowed to play there

also linked is Gibson's tremendously impressive total stats:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gibsojo99.shtml

https://archive.ph/77y4g

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 1st, 2024 at 5:15:47 AM permalink
the Buffalo Bills signed an Olympic Gold Medal wrestler - Gable Stevenson - who has never before played football

I for sure wouldn't wanna try and block him or run thru him

https://archive.ph/aKQpQ

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
June 1st, 2024 at 7:26:56 AM permalink

the Buffalo Bills signed an Olympic Gold Medal wrestler - Gable Stevenson - who has never before played football

link to original post

Not "large" enough at only 5'11" and 266 lbs. Way too small for pro interior line and run stuffer. He would be better off in "pro" wrestling.

A 6 ft. 225 RB would tear him up.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
June 1st, 2024 at 7:28:45 AM permalink

link to original post

How could a guy named after Dan Gable be any good at wrestling? I watched him wrestle from his senior year in High School through his four years at Minnesota. He was a top notch Heavyweight. I have no idea how he will do at football but I can pretty much guarantee that he will be much quicker than the typical NFL lineman.
tuttigym
tuttigym
June 1st, 2024 at 7:52:31 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

How could a guy named after Dan Gable be any good at wrestling? I watched him wrestle from his senior year in High School through his four years at Minnesota. He was a top notch Heavyweight. I have no idea how he will do at football but I can pretty much guarantee that he will be much quicker than the typical NFL lineman.
link to original post

No, you can't!

tuttigym
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
June 1st, 2024 at 3:31:29 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

link to original post

There are only 144 active players in the WNBA, so each team really is made up of the best college players. Move up a level=move up in level of competition.

link to original post

From what I hear, her coach won't alter the team's offense to capitalize on Clark's strengths. Also, it seems that, short of pulling out a gun and shooting Clark dead at mid court, players can commit any foul they want against her while the refs look the other way. It's like the league hates her.

The next time my wife gives me the "if only women ran things" lecture, I can show her a lowlight reel of Clark being ignored by her teammates while her opponents knock her to the floor, elbow her in the face and call her a b***h while the refs stare off into space. Good show ladies.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
June 1st, 2024 at 10:23:56 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

link to original post

link to original post

From what I hear, her coach won't alter the team's offense to capitalize on Clark's strengths. Also, it seems that, short of pulling out a gun and shooting Clark dead at mid court, players can commit any foul they want against her while the refs look the other way. It's like the league hates her.

The next time my wife gives me the "if only women ran things" lecture, I can show her a lowlight reel of Clark being ignored by her teammates while her opponents knock her to the floor, elbow her in the face and call her a b***h while the refs stare off into space. Good show ladies.
link to original post

She should do what Bill Russell did when provoked by New York Knicks center Ray Felix during a game. Russell pounded Felix to the point of unconsciousness, paid a modest $25 fine, and rarely was the target of cheap fouls thereafter.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
June 1st, 2024 at 10:30:04 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Dude got cut by the WWE after a poorly received first match. Also, college wrestlers who haven't played college FB don't do very well in the NFL. Even Brock Lesnar couldn't make an NFL roster. Even sumo wrestlers-a sport I follow religiously-don't do well.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
June 2nd, 2024 at 3:00:57 AM permalink

Quote: Gialmere

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

She should do what Bill Russell did when provoked by New York Knicks center Ray Felix during a game. Russell pounded Felix to the point of unconsciousness, paid a modest $25 fine, and rarely was the target of cheap fouls thereafter.
link to original post

That was then, this is now and that kind of physical beating would destroy Caitlin's "brand" and marketability. Also, Caitlin Clark does not have the physique to batter other strong players like Bill Russell could.

The sociology of what the WNBA is doing to Caitlin is fascinating to me. Caitlin is a very good scorer, but IMO the media have overhyped and overpraised her. Nonetheless, she is the WNBA's best recent chance of getting more positive attention and better media contracts; her treatment by the league is short-sighted and self-destructive.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 2nd, 2024 at 5:55:28 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Caitlin is a very good scorer, but IMO the media have overhyped and overpraised her.

I don't agree with this at all

her accomplishments are indeed very spectacular - see link
I think she is just going thru an adjustment period
time will tell

in Jerry West's first year in the NBA he averaged only 17 p.p.g. - way less than in College

were people saying the same thing about that dude from West Virginia_________?_________I dunno__________prolly

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39626372/what-records-does-caitlin-clark-hold-iowa-ncaa-honors-know

tuttigym
tuttigym
June 2nd, 2024 at 8:04:46 AM permalink
Run, dribble, stop, and shoot then replay over and over. To me, beyond boring, and while there is modest athleticism, there is no, IMHO, comparison to the athletes engaging in the U.S. National Gymnastics Championships.

I would like to suggest that some of you Google the meet and watch these athletes do the phenomenal routines on floor, rings, high bar, P-bars, vaults and pommeled horse. There is no "rinse and repeat" just incredible and exciting and dangerous moves.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
June 2nd, 2024 at 8:49:07 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

Run, dribble, stop, and shoot then replay over and over. To me, beyond boring, and while there is modest athleticism, there is no, IMHO, comparison to the athletes engaging in the U.S. National Gymnastics Championships.

I would like to suggest that some of you Google the meet and watch these athletes do the phenomenal routines on floor, rings, high bar, P-bars, vaults and pommeled horse. There is no "rinse and repeat" just incredible and exciting and dangerous moves.

tuttigym
link to original post

I never found the rings to be artistic or interesting but I do have great respect for the strength it takes.
tuttigym
tuttigym
June 2nd, 2024 at 10:36:11 AM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

I never found the rings to be artistic or interesting but I do have great respect for the strength it takes.
link to original post

Want to define "artistic" in your connotation for me? So, are the other events "artistic"?

Basketball "artistic"? Can you equate a "slam dunk" vs a full twisting double back somersault dismount on the rings with any performed "slam dunk" you have witnessed?

tuttigym
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
June 2nd, 2024 at 10:50:28 AM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

I'm a big fan of professional Tennis. I would suggest that you turn to your cable/streaming and watch the 2nd week of Roland Garros (the French Open.) Unlike gymnastics, these tennis players do more than solo performances where they are merely showing off. Instead they use their elite athleticism to compete against an opponent who is on the court there with them. And their competition involves intelligence and changes in tactics, as well as speed, quickness, strength, balance and co-ordination. And the tennis players do this for multiple hours each match rather than for 2-3 minutes.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 2nd, 2024 at 11:30:21 AM permalink

Run, dribble, stop, and shoot then replay over and over. To me, beyond boring, and while there is modest athleticism,
tuttigym

this is a quite ridiculous criticism of the sport of basketball which is a sport that many millions of fans enjoy

per the link in 2023 the NBA recorded 18 billion video views across its social media accounts

but I think he knows that - he just posted it to get a rise out of us -

https://playtoday.co/blog/stats/basketball-viewership-statistics/#:~:text=Basketball%20Viewership%20Statistics%3A%20What%20You%20Should%20Know%20in%202024,-Angel&text=How%20Many%20Viewers%20Does%20Basketball%20Have%3F&text=Basketball%20is%20a%20well%2Dloved,and%20cheer%20on%20their%20teams.

tuttigym
tuttigym
June 2nd, 2024 at 2:03:18 PM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

I'm a big fan of professional Tennis. I would suggest that you turn to your cable/streaming and watch the 2nd week of Roland Garros (the French Open.) Unlike gymnastics, these tennis players do more than solo performances where they are merely showing off. Instead they use their elite athleticism to compete against an opponent who is on the court there with them. And their competition involves intelligence and changes in tactics, as well as speed, quickness, strength, balance and co-ordination. And the tennis players do this for multiple hours each match rather than for 2-3 minutes.
link to original post

It is good that you are big fan of professional tennis. You know, watching continuous back and forth/side to side/forehand/backhand ... really riveting, so much so, that one can leave their seat take a dump, get a hot dog, get back to their seat and nothing has changed except the score. You know, more back and forth and side to side.

That "elite" athleticism is two basic skills ---forehand and backhand with an occasion serve and lob.

The elite gymnast has to master 6 DIFFERENT disciplines each unique to the sport. Every gymnast has a different routine and different from every other gymnast in composition. Then, of course, there is the danger inherent in the sport sort of like when the two tennis players rush the net at the end of their match to shake hands.

Conditioning? How about 6-7 hours a day doing repetitions of skills, routines, and learning new skills plus lots of heavy aerobics and running.

So, my guess, Gordon is that if you could do exciting gymnastics skills. you would show off too.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
June 2nd, 2024 at 2:04:54 PM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

Want to define "artistic" in your connotation for me? So, are the other events "artistic"?

Basketball "artistic"? Can you equate a "slam dunk" vs a full twisting double back somersault dismount on the rings with any performed "slam dunk" you have witnessed?

tuttigym
link to original post

I have never found the slam dunk interesting. I would be happy if it was outlawed. I would prefer to see a reverse layup over a slam dunk.
tuttigym
tuttigym
June 2nd, 2024 at 2:08:01 PM permalink

Run, dribble, stop, and shoot then replay over and over. To me, beyond boring, and while there is modest athleticism,
tuttigym

this is a quite ridiculous criticism of the sport of basketball which is a sport that many millions of fans enjoy

per the link in 2023 the NBA recorded 18 billion video views across its social media accounts

but I think he knows that - he just posted it to get a rise out of us -

https://playtoday.co/blog/stats/basketball-viewership-statistics/#:~:text=Basketball%20Viewership%20Statistics%3A%20What%20You%20Should%20Know%20in%202024,-Angel&text=How%20Many%20Viewers%20Does%20Basketball%20Have%3F&text=Basketball%20is%20a%20well%2Dloved,and%20cheer%20on%20their%20teams.

link to original post

Well, I guess some people have to do something with their time. Spectating something sure outdoes actual participation, but what does that have to do with athleticism and skill??

tuttigym
tuttigym
tuttigym
June 2nd, 2024 at 2:10:33 PM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

I have never found the slam dunk interesting. I would be happy if it was outlawed. I would prefer to see a reverse layup over a slam dunk.
link to original post

I agree with that statemen. So, you are not going to answer my questions?

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
June 2nd, 2024 at 2:12:38 PM permalink

Well, I guess some people have to do something with their time. Spectating something sure outdoes actual participation, but what does that have to do with athleticism and skill??

tuttigym
link to original post

To me basketball is the least interesting of the major American spectator sports. I think the reason is because I have never studied the game at a level that would make it interesting to me. I grew up with a father that was a coach of many sports so I tend to watch the games like coaches do and analyze the play of everyone on the field. I am looking at it more as a puzzle to solve than entertainment.
tuttigym
tuttigym
June 2nd, 2024 at 2:55:19 PM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

To me basketball is the least interesting of the major American spectator sports. I think the reason is because I have never studied the game at a level that would make it interesting to me. I grew up with a father that was a coach of many sports so I tend to watch the games like coaches do and analyze the play of everyone on the field. I am looking at it more as a puzzle to solve than entertainment.
link to original post

Very well, and a good response. Thank you.

Just to give some clarification, I am the world's WORST BB player.

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 2nd, 2024 at 3:08:17 PM permalink
if he thinks basketball sucks why not take it further - why not post that baseball and football suck too_________?

all of these sports are not even close to being as wonderful as gymnastics_____________________(-:)

tuttigym
tuttigym
June 2nd, 2024 at 3:58:36 PM permalink

if he thinks basketball sucks why not take it further - why not post that baseball and football suck too_________?

all of these sports are not even close to being as wonderful as gymnastics_____________________(-:)

link to original post

I guess reading comprehension is a lost skill here. I don't believe it was stated that BB "sucks." I said that to me, it was BORING.

Your second sentence is correct though. Good job.

tuttigym
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
June 2nd, 2024 at 5:15:32 PM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

It is good that you are big fan of professional tennis. You know, watching continuous back and forth/side to side/forehand/backhand ... really riveting, so much so, that one can leave their seat take a dump, get a hot dog, get back to their seat and nothing has changed except the score. You know, more back and forth and side to side.

That "elite" athleticism is two basic skills ---forehand and backhand with an occasion serve and lob.

The elite gymnast has to master 6 DIFFERENT disciplines each unique to the sport. Every gymnast has a different routine and different from every other gymnast in composition. Then, of course, there is the danger inherent in the sport sort of like when the two tennis players rush the net at the end of their match to shake hands.

Conditioning? How about 6-7 hours a day doing repetitions of skills, routines, and learning new skills plus lots of heavy aerobics and running.

So, my guess, Gordon is that if you could do exciting gymnastics skills. you would show off too.

tuttigym
link to original post

You obviously know very little about professional tennis, which is the 2nd(?) most popular sport in Europe and which plays in front of crowds of 35,000+ (at high ticket prices) in the U.S. Other than the Olympics, the crowds at gymnastics events are mostly friends and family. I agree that gymnasts have amazing strength and skill and must practice long hours to prepare for their wham-bam events. But tennis is all about foot speed and change of direction.

Here is an interesting video that shows you how great tennis can be -while also showing has much it has changed in 25 years. During the 1990s tennis was boring and the first point, for 2001, on this video would be nothing very special today. But as the years go by and you start to see the names: Federer, Djokovic, Nadal the points in this video become more athletic and more entertaining.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 3rd, 2024 at 4:17:36 AM permalink
this is the kinna thing Caitlin Clark is facing in the WNBA - a hard shoulder check - she gets called a Bi*** and knocked to the ground - as Chennedy Carter gets called for a flagrant foul

it's kinna weird to me to see women playing so rough - but it is what it is

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
June 3rd, 2024 at 4:32:23 AM permalink

this is the kinna thing Caitlin Clark is facing in the WNBA - a hard shoulder check - she gets called a Bi*** and knocked to the ground - as Chennedy Carter gets called for a flagrant foul

it's kinna weird to me to see women playing so rough - but it is what it is

link to original post

Maybe they are trying to eliminate her entirely ... she is on track to star missing games

https://nypost.com/2024/05/31/sports/caitlin-clark-has-a-wnba-suspension-problem-lurking/
Last edited by: odiousgambit on Jun 3, 2024
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
Thanked by
odiousgambit
June 3rd, 2024 at 9:05:07 AM permalink
I see the league has upgraded some of the more flagrant fouls against Clark. With no fines or suspensions involved, however, I doubt this move will make anyone happy. Perhaps it's meant to be a warning shot across the bow to the players but, like the NFL anthem kneeling days, I get the impression they're just hoping this all goes away by itself.

Meanwhile, the guys in the NBA have moved on from calling the ladies petty to actively ridiculing Clark's teammates for not protecting their star player. Some are recommending that the team hires an enforcer, and there's some speculation about what player or former player would best fit the role of goon.

In a strange way, Caitlin Clark has already given the league exactly what it wanted from her. Everyone in sports (and beyond) is now talking about the WNBA. It's just not the kind of talk the league was expecting.
Last edited by: Gialmere on Jun 3, 2024
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
tuttigym
tuttigym
June 4th, 2024 at 9:02:39 AM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

You obviously know very little about professional tennis, which is the 2nd(?) most popular sport in Europe and which plays in front of crowds of 35,000+ (at high ticket prices) in the U.S. Other than the Olympics, the crowds at gymnastics events are mostly friends and family. I agree that gymnasts have amazing strength and skill and must practice long hours to prepare for their wham-bam events. But tennis is all about foot speed and change of direction.

Here is an interesting video that shows you how great tennis can be -while also showing has much it has changed in 25 years. During the 1990s tennis was boring and the first point, for 2001, on this video would be nothing very special today. But as the years go by and you start to see the names: Federer, Djokovic, Nadal the points in this video become more athletic and more entertaining.

link to original post

Your first sentence above is puzzling to me. So, other than crowd size, what should I know about professional tennis? Tennis is a recreational sport. The skills required to participate are minimal so that almost anyone can play the game. That is not to say that professionals are not great athletes, highly conditioned, with quick reflexes, and superior skills within the range of skills necessary to compete at the highest level of play.

Tennis is not a complicated game. Almost everyone understands it, so families participate together, there are playing facilities with great availability, and it is not dangerous or expensive.

Gymnastics is complicated. The general public are not conversant with the rules, scoring, routine requirements, or the individual events. It is not a recreational sport; there are limited facilities available for public use, and it is dangerous for the novice to attempt without professional guidance and spotting. It is expensive because of the equipment necessary to participate let alone coaching.

Equating spectator size with skill complexity is like comparing the Wizard to sumo wrestling. This discussion, I thought, was about athletic skills and the difficulties therein. To put it in proper context: the simplest gymnastics motor skill is more complicated than the most difficult tennis motor SKILL. Context here: It is easier to learn a forehand that to learn how to accomplish a handstand (basic fundamental gymnastic skill).

As a side note, I have watched a lot of tennis Lew Hoad, Ken Rosenthal, Borg, Conners, McEnroe, Evert, Martina, Margaret Court, and Billie Jean. I was a fan. Their matches were riveting and exciting.

I am enjoying this discussion. Please continue if you will.

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 5th, 2024 at 4:10:43 AM permalink
very interesting article about the Negro Leagues - the MLB has just decided to incorporate their records into the official MLB records

many over the years have put down the Negro Leagues as minor leagues

the article points out that in the most famous of the barnstorming tours - the one in 1946 - where blacks played against whites - "surviving records indicate that blacks won two-thirds of all interracial games"

https://archive.ph/Rbzeh

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 13th, 2024 at 3:13:18 AM permalink
Blake Dunn got hit in the head by a 101 mile fastball and got up and started walking to first base like it was nothing at all

I don't recall ever seeing anything like this before

and also:

r.i.p. to Jerry West who made that fabulous 60 footer to tie a Finals Game in OT - I posted the YT vid at 7:39 a.m. in the Basketball Probability thread yesterday
he passed on Wednesday at age 86
the article is a very nice tribute to him which well documents his greatness

the NBA recently acknowledged that its logo is indeed a silhouette of Jerry West - everybody knew it anyway -

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5557837/2024/06/12/reds-blake-dunn-hit-in-head/

https://archive.ph/uFNW7

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jun 13, 2024
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
June 14th, 2024 at 2:27:52 PM permalink
Tickets for the United Football League Chanpionship game are available for $4 (four-dollars). Plus tax. But if you're feeling consumed by a hunk of burning desire for the epic event, you could choose to roll like a big baller by upgrading to sit with more elite company in a spiffy section for $23 (twenny-tree bucks). For the "Championship."

They really should just do it in a TV studio.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
  • Jump to: