FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
January 26th, 2018 at 2:45:20 PM permalink
I don't think I've seen a 2018 Kentucky Derby thread yet. (If I'm missing it, please don't suspend me for flooding!!!!)

Anyway... this would be the place to post thoughts related to the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont Stakes in 2018. All other horse racing related posts should continue in the "Never Ending Horse Thread"
FinsRule
FinsRule
January 26th, 2018 at 2:45:55 PM permalink
There are three prep races next Saturday (2/3). I'll post my thoughts on them after the entries are drawn.
FinsRule
FinsRule
February 3rd, 2018 at 10:00:18 AM permalink
My picks for the three Derby prep races today are:

Holy Bull - Hollywood Star
Bob Lewis - Dark Vader
Withers - Marconi
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
February 3rd, 2018 at 6:47:46 PM permalink
Good. Glad you did this. Of course the other semi-current racing thread was created in the wrong section, where nobody with an interest in horsing around would be likely to find it.

My focus for those races, listed in order of most to least interest, was on:

#1. Holy Bull @GP: Mississippi (Pioneer of the Nile - Storm Cat), from Mark Casse's barn; Result: scratched, so no bet.
#2. Withers @AQU: Avery Island (Street Sense - A.P. Indy), from Kiaran McLaughlin's stable; Result: bet down to even money in a short field, no bet, shadowed the pacesetter, pounced at the top of the stretch, easily drew away from the field to win by open lengths, with none of my money on him.
#0. Robert B. Lewis @SA: no clue, and little interest other than preferring to see Baffert choke on a cocktail olive, so no bet.
My total net on Feb. 3rd Derby preps: zero dollars.

But this is past posting, so I could be lying.

Quote: FinsRule

...Bob Lewis - Dark Vader...

$13.60 to show!
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
FinsRule
FinsRule
February 3rd, 2018 at 7:34:04 PM permalink
With Hollywood Star scratched, my pick became Tiz Mischief. That means that each of my 3 picks finished 3rd. That doesn't really mean anything.

Out of the 3 preps, I'm not really even sure who was most impressive. Maybe Avery Island?
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
February 6th, 2018 at 11:55:42 AM permalink
Thanks for starting the thread.

Mississippi did scratch from a poor post (#11) in the loaded Holy Bull, but he got to run the very next day at the same distance. He finished second after breaking on top and falling back on the backstretch. He came running late and I liked his race. The time was slower when compared to the Holy Bull (about 1/2 second). I have him in my barn and look forward to his first stakes race (maybe the Fountain Of Youth @ Gulfstream?).

Holy Bull video:
FinsRule
FinsRule
February 9th, 2018 at 3:24:39 PM permalink
Sam F. Davis at Tampa is the only Derby points race this weekend.

Baffert has a good one going 7 furlongs at Santa Anita. He'd probably have to really impress to get a shot going longer.

Catholic Boy is going to be the big favorite tomorrow at Tampa. I'll stick with my Holy Bull pick - Hollywood Star to win the race.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
February 9th, 2018 at 4:16:27 PM permalink

Sam F. Davis at Tampa is the only Derby points race this weekend.

Baffert has a good one going 7 furlongs at Santa Anita. He'd probably have to really impress to get a shot going longer.

Catholic Boy is going to be the big favorite tomorrow at Tampa. I'll stick with my Holy Bull pick - Hollywood Star to win the race.

Catholic Boy won his last race with ease. I like 6 -5-2.7. No 3.
Keeneone
Keeneone
February 9th, 2018 at 4:40:46 PM permalink
As a Derby future Hollywood Star makes sense. Stakes placed and broke maiden already @ Churchill Downs. Unfortunately his odds are a bit low for me to wager on him at this point. Who is going to make the lead in the Sam F Davis? The race looks devoid of the kind speed we used to see in these prep races.
Past performances can be viewed here (Click on Flameaway's Ultimate PPs):
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatch.cgi/public/MarkCasse/CASSE+MARK/9999/summary.html
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
February 10th, 2018 at 4:12:40 AM permalink
Daily Racing Form made it their "Race of the Day" so they also have free PPs for the Sam F Davis available in DRF's format available here: http://www.drf.com/events/race-of-the-day

Same for Equibase PPs as it is their "Featured Race of the Week" available here: https://www.equibase.com/content/rotw/fullpp.pdf
...or from the link on this page if that direct url to the pdf document doesn't work:
https://www.equibase.com/free/index.cfm?SAP=TN

I'm interested in checking out some red wine this afternoon in Tampa, otherwise known as the lightly raced colt Vino Rosso breaking from gate #3 in his third lifetime start and first stakes. I don't know about betting him here under these circumstance. Probably not today; I'd need a pretty juicy price (like 9/2-5/1-ish+) which I think is unlikely for anything from this barn (Pletcher, Velazquez) especially in a 7 horse field, and in Florida. But I'll be watching him closely for any read I might get on how good he might potentially be. If it turns out that he has the talent and temperament, I love the pedigree for going on with it: Curlin - Street Cry, weighted 2x Sire & 1x Damsire = AWD 7.7f, so on-paper (statistically from progeny performance data) he's really well bred for something like a mile and a half or so at age 4+. By the way, if it should happen to rain on any of his races he should be laughing & grinning & gliding.

Fairgrounds @New Orleans takes entries & assigns posts for their races much earlier than others, so PPs for the Risen Star next weekend are already available. The BRIS version can be had here:
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatch.cgi/public/ToddPletcher/PLETCHER+TODD+A/9999/summary.htm
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Feb 10, 2018
FinsRule
FinsRule
February 10th, 2018 at 6:40:57 AM permalink
Looking at the PPs closer, Vino Rosso does look real good. I'm not betting on this race, because it doesn't look like there's any money to be made. It looks like a 3 horse race, and they are all going to be at low prices.

The Remsen, and all of the NY horses are on trial here. If Catholic Boy wins, Avery Island and Firenze Fire's future wager prices will drop.
FinsRule
FinsRule
February 10th, 2018 at 6:50:10 AM permalink
I'm following Pool 2 of the Derby Future Wager closely.

I love betting the "Field". I will bet the field at 5/2 or better.

There are a lot of intriguing options for individual horses, but the odds can and do change.

Bolt D'Oro is 5-1 which will probably go up to 6 or 7-1, but is still a terrible bet 83 days out.

I'll post again tonight after the races.
FinsRule
FinsRule
February 10th, 2018 at 7:46:12 PM permalink
I bet $55 on the field. $15 on Instilled Regard. $3 on Mendelssohn. $3 on Mourinho. I'm hoping the field can hold at 5/2.

Catholic Boy disappointed. He cost me the Pick-5. I think this weakens the form of the other NY horses. It looks like another CA based Derby year.
Keeneone
Keeneone
February 10th, 2018 at 8:25:28 PM permalink

I bet $55 on the field. $15 on Instilled Regard. $3 on Mendelssohn. $3 on Mourinho. I'm hoping the field can hold at 5/2.

Catholic Boy disappointed. He cost me the Pick-5. I think this weakens the form of the other NY horses. It looks like another CA based Derby year.

Sorry to hear your multi-race ticket was lost. The top 3 ran well IMO and any could improve out of the race. Nice final time and competitive down the lane. "Red Wine" performed solid to close into a paceless event. He is lightly raced, but you just never know with Pletcher 3yos...
Hollywood Star disappointed.

As for the Derby Future Pool 2, I would also lean towards the field. The "Top 2" (Good Magic and Bolt d'Oro) have yet to race this year. I already have Retirement Fund and Combatant in my futures barn.
FinsRule
FinsRule
February 16th, 2018 at 3:41:53 PM permalink
There's a free contest that starts tomorrow - derbydollarscontest.com

Anyone who has any interest in the Derby trail should sign up. There are free pps up for the Risen Star tomorrow.

My pick for the contest is Noble Indy.

I'm really torn on this race. I put $15 on Instilled Regard in the Derby future pool. So obviously I'm rooting for him. Hollendorfer shipping to Louisiana is just so weird.

Supreme Aura is interesting. Stidham has been working him 6 furlongs to get ready for this.

Bravazo is interesting. Why is Lukas sending him to Louisiana? And having Gary Stevens on him has to be a good sign. But Gary isn't on either of Lukas's mounts in the Southwest.

Principe Guilherme is even a bigger question mark. He was no match for Instilled Regard at all, but someone liked enough of him to put a fairly big future wager - 2 or 3K last weekend. That happened with Gun Runner a couple of years back, and he won the Risen Star.

Anyone have any ideas?
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
February 16th, 2018 at 8:49:39 PM permalink

...<SNIP>...

Principe Guilherme is even a bigger question mark. He was no match for Instilled Regard at all, but someone liked enough of him to put a fairly big future wager - 2 or 3K last weekend. That happened with Gun Runner a couple of years back, and he won the Risen Star.

Anyone have any ideas?

Steve Asmussen has also cross entered that one in the Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park on Monday, so he'll be a scratch from one of them - I don't know which.

I liked him in each of his first three starts, including the Lecomte. He's quite nicely bred (weighted AWD 7.5f) for what's being asked of him to continue along this path, and if it rains that shouldn't bother him a bit. But right now in either of this weekend's races, I dunno. I'm not sure how I want to evaluate his last race, it is getting more salty, and I could make a case for too many, including a blizzard of 3y/o Asmussen prospects on tap at Oaklawn on Monday.

So my answer to your question would be pretty much: "No, I don't."
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Feb 16, 2018
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Johnzimbo
February 17th, 2018 at 4:15:56 AM permalink
Instilled Regard was bumped in the stretch in the G1 Los Alamitos thing and he still finished a game 2nd. then he won a G3 at FG drawing clear easily. he could be the real deal. so hard to say though, they're still so young and inexperienced. I don't think the difference between G1, G2, and G3 is really much when they're that young. am I right Dead?
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 17, 2018
Please don't feed the trolls
Keeneone
Keeneone
February 17th, 2018 at 11:36:25 AM permalink
Lots of 3 year olds running this weekend...

Risen Star - I am pulling for a good race from #1 High North. I have been waiting for his first race at 3. Noble Indy is hard to figure. He ran 2 great races @ Gulfstream but now ships out to Fairgrounds. I would lean towards tossing him in here. He may also be distanced challenged for the Derby.

El Camino Real - Not a great prep for Derby day but still a points race for some reason. I like Choo Choo and Epical today.

Southwest - This one came up tough. Loads of speed/frontrunners signed up. I am looking for a presser/closer to win on Monday. Maybe Combatant? I am also hoping for a good race from Retirement Fund. Will S. Asmussen win this event with 4 entries in the race?
----------

Other 3yo events I will be watching:
Sunday 18th - Tampa Race #2 - Hazit returns in a 7f sprint and Earth (Orb's 1st progeny winner) will try the dirt and can be claimed for 75k (in case anyone is interested in a purchase).
Monday 19th - Fairgrounds Race #8 - #6 Dark Templar - He is my play of the "weekend". With a clean start, he should visit the winner's circle.
Keeneone
Keeneone
February 17th, 2018 at 4:20:04 PM permalink
Risen Star - Merry-go-round race won on the front end. High North finished 5th (blerg).

El Camino Real - The filly Paved won nicely. My runners performed poorly.

Not a good day for my Derby barn. Hopefully Monday will yield better results...
FinsRule
FinsRule
February 18th, 2018 at 9:20:11 AM permalink
I don't think anyone from the Risen Star is a threat for the Derby. I had a double with Bravazo, but for some reason I didn't have that the 78-1 that won the next race.
Keeneone
Keeneone
February 18th, 2018 at 6:09:40 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Lots of 3 year olds running this weekend...
-snip-
Other 3yo events I will be watching:
Sunday 18th - Tampa Race #2 - Hazit returns in a 7f sprint and Earth (Orb's 1st progeny winner) will try the dirt and can be claimed for 75k (in case anyone is interested in a purchase).

Hazit finished 2nd and Earth 3rd. None in this race look to have Derby aspirations, but sprinting could be Hazit's thing...
Keeneone
Keeneone
February 20th, 2018 at 2:59:04 PM permalink

-snip-
Southwest - This one came up tough. Loads of speed/frontrunners signed up. I am looking for a presser/closer to win on Monday. Maybe Combatant? I am also hoping for a good race from Retirement Fund. Will S. Asmussen win this event with 4 entries in the race?
----------
-snip-
Monday 19th - Fairgrounds Race #8 - #6 Dark Templar - He is my play of the "weekend". With a clean start, he should visit the winner's circle.

Southwest Stakes - Won by My Boy Jack up the rail. Combatant finished second. Both came from way back to close strongly into an honest pace. Decent come back race for Sporting Chance (3rd), not sure about the other runners future on the Derby trail. Excuses will likely be the wet track condition. Video can be viewed here:
https://www.kentuckyderby.com/prep-races/southwest
----------

Dark Templar won on the front end.
[https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/965719011324497920
FinsRule
FinsRule
March 1st, 2018 at 4:14:56 AM permalink
The Fountain of Youth is Saturday at Gulfstream. Good Magic, the current futures book favorite, will be racing for the first time in 4 months. He has won once in his career. He will probably be odds on in this spot.

I can't support that. And, him not being good would make all of my futures bets worth more. So I will be heavily rooting against. Which means he's a lock.

I'll be rooting for Strike Power and Storm Runner.

I haven't looked at the pps yet. I can give a more accurate assessment of the race after I do that tomorrow.
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 1st, 2018 at 4:32:34 PM permalink
I have handicapped the race. I landed on Free Drop Billy. He has the back class, reunites with his normal rider, ran a nice one off the layoff over Gulfstream, and likely gets a good pace setup to pounce from a pressing trip. I do not have any Derby future runners in the race. I usually root for the runners with Derby points to keep new runners from entering the Top 20 in Derby points. Free DRF pps:
http://www1.drf.com/formulator-web/FreeRace.do?trackId=GP&country=USA&raceDate=20180303&dayEvening=D&raceNumber=14#past-performance-race/14

Here are a few other 3 year old runners I plan on watching this weekend.
Gulfstream 3/3 Race #11 - #1 Personal Time (I have mentioned him previously).
Gulfstream 3/4 Race #12 - #6 Biblical and #7 Regal Quality

This thread has been very quiet this year, I guess there are not many interested in this form of gambling on the site.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
March 3rd, 2018 at 3:24:54 AM permalink
I can't bet against Good Magic, not even 1st race back from a layoff with his trainer's proficiency at that. I like the progression of his races so far, and for later bigger races I like the layoff/freshening and the limited juvenile campaign too.. And if he's bet to the very chalky price I expect, I can't bet on him today either.

My average winning distance calculation for the progeny of the Fountain of Youth pedigrees, weighted at 2x sire & 1x for the sire of the dam:

A) Clearly bred for the probability of getting classic distances, with later longer than average time for full growth to maturity often expected and continued improvement likely long after other other precocious stock has reached peak performance:

#2 - Free Drop Billy 7.5f
#6 - Good Magic 7.5f
#1 - He Takes Charge 7.4f

B) Maybe this or maybe that or the other thing, could be fish or fowl pedigrees, not heavily tilted toward producing either precocious speed or mature distance runners::

#5 - Storm Runner 7.2f
#8 - Marconi 7.2f
#9 - Machismo 7.2f

C) Those that would clearly be significantly outrunning their pedigrees if they end up getting a sniff of the wire when the camera goes off in a Grade 1 at a mile and a quarter two months from now:

#4 - Strike Power 6.9f
#3 - Peppered 6.8f
#10 - Promises Fulfilled 6.7f
#7 - Gotta Go 6.5f

Of course this is not a "classic distance" today. A mile and a sixteenth is a "middle distance" race. And this is not nine weeks later & more towards the middle of their three year old season of equine adolescence either, and that matters too.

Along with the free DRF "race of the day" PPs in the link above, there are also PPs for the Fountain of Youth available without charge from Equibase here: http://www.equibase.com/content/rotw/fullpp.pdf ...and BRIS PPs for the race can be had through a link on this page: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatch.cgi/public/ToddPletcher/PLETCHER+TODD+A/9999/summary.htm
FinsRule
FinsRule
March 3rd, 2018 at 6:22:38 AM permalink
There's just so much speed in the race. It sets up perfectly for Good Magic. I'm not in the mood for 4-5. I'll pick Gotta Go and Storm Runner in an exacta box with Good Magic.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
March 3rd, 2018 at 8:43:28 AM permalink

...Gulfstream 3/3 Race #11 - #1 Personal Time (I have mentioned him previously)...

I also find him interesting. By Malibu Moon (A.P. Indy) out of an Unbridled dam, 7.3 AWD. He reminds me of Orb in a bunch of different ways. Janney & Phipps Stable homebred, so trained by Shug McGaughey of course. After running a flash and fade race, left the gate with an awkward break and reserved behind the field then made a wide sweeping late move and exploded in the stretch racing with first time Lasix, followed by an evenly spaced series of sizzling works for a trainer who doesn't usually push them to melt the stopwatch in the morning.

The winner breaking his maiden in that race was a Pletcher/Velasquez even money shot who went for $725,000 in the Keeneland September yearling sale, and when finishing 2nd with an excellent speed figure this one was four lengths clear of the rest of the field while starting to get to the winner near the wire. On the other hand, those were some very hot fractions being set in front of him in that Jan. 27 race.

In general, especially with young developing horses over a distance of ground, sudden big improvement with 1st time Lasix + confirmation in work pattern = I wanna bet ya.

He needs to graduate TODAY to realistically be on a path toward the feature race at Churchill on May 5th.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Mar 3, 2018
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 3rd, 2018 at 9:29:03 AM permalink
Good stuff DD.
Free Drop Billy has scratched from the FOY. Good Magic's odds will now be even lower, but he is the one to beat.
About Personal Time... After that race his Derby odds plummeted to 50/1. He still has yet to win but today could be the day around 2 turns. We also get to compare the winner's time to the FOY a few hours later.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
March 3rd, 2018 at 1:52:36 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

(Personal Time) needs to graduate TODAY to realistically be on a path toward the feature race at Churchill on May 5th.

Pfffft. No cap and gown for you, Mr. Time. I think he's an excellent candidate for blinkers, unless he wants a career as a professional maiden.
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 3rd, 2018 at 6:23:11 PM permalink

Pfffft. No cap and gown for you, Mr. Time. I think he's an excellent candidate for blinkers, unless he wants a career as a professional maiden.

What a disappointing race from PT. Way to far back into a slow pace.
----------

FOY - Another merry-go-round Derby prep. The son of Shackleford (Promises Fulfilled) stole it on the front end just like his daddy used to. Seemed like a very slow event (which IIRC has happened before in GS preps). It was still a second faster than Race #11 (3yo race earlier in the day at the same distance). Video:

Bravazo and Promises Fulfilled lead the Kentucky Derby Points Standings. WOW!
FinsRule
FinsRule
March 3rd, 2018 at 8:19:08 PM permalink
Definitely a good day for me. I won my contest by picking Promises to win. Too bad I didn't spend the $7 to add him in my Pick-3. Anyway, Good Magic needed a race. But if this race was as slow as everyone says, then Good Magic is behind and needs to catch up quickly.

Good Magic flopping makes all of my Derby future bets worth a little more.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
March 3rd, 2018 at 8:32:23 PM permalink
After the race & squinting at it sideways I still don't expect that result, and if there was a prop for the o/u of repeating it once out of twenty spins, I think I'd still take the under for duplicating this (legit) race-riding larceny. (And Fins would be too rich to hang out here.) Four were on the pace clearly separated from the rest by midway in the first turn, they stayed that way through the backstretch, and after only Storm Runner backed out of the pace-setting group in the far turn, the three on the pace not only stayed that way all the way to the wire to cash in all three spots "across the board" but they even did so in exactly the same order all the way 'round playing a polite "excuse me, after you."

It is far from a perfect correlation to success moving on & up, but for a quick & dirty tentative evaluation I look for something to finish this race in 1:42-ish raw unadjusted time to call it probably a meaningful step forward for the winner & perhaps also some of his company near the wire. And under close to normal/average conditions, I think of something more in the neighborhood of 1:44 as grounds for suspecting an anomalous race.may have rewarded an inferior performance, or that the field in it that year may just suck. Remember all the great racing exploits of Booklet (1:44.49) and Duc d' Sligovil (1:44.98) and Storm Tower (1:44.98) and Shot Gun Scott (1:44.60) in the 3yo classics after this? Neither do I, since there weren't any, and I had to look them up to find the names of those stiffs. In contrast, after their winning FoY efforts I'm pretty sure the later accomplishments of Orb (1:42.24) and Pulpit (1:41.86) will be quite a bit easier for many people to recall. This one today finally put the timer to sleep after 1:44.17.

I hope the first two do end up in the gate for the KY Derby, with several others like them for a festive bunch throwing a wild party for about a minute and a half of a two minute race. I'd like to see a return of the traditional hot pace running far too quick for the 10f distance, being set by some who will never again see any major part of a mile and a quarter, and shouldn't.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Mar 3, 2018
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 4th, 2018 at 8:24:31 PM permalink

-snip-
Gulfstream 3/4 Race #12 - #6 Biblical and #7 Regal Quality
-snip-

These 2 completed the exacta today. The final time was a sluggish 1:46.57. It makes the FOY final time look "fast"...

-snip-
This one today finally put the timer to sleep after 1:44.17.
-snip-

On to next weekend with 3 USA preps - Gotham, San Felipe, Tampa Bay Derby.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 5th, 2018 at 6:23:59 AM permalink
Audible was REALLY impressive winning the Holy Bull. He did the last 2.5 furlongs in a scintillating 29.92. By comparison Promises Fulfilled covered the same ground in 31.57. I don't know what the speed figures were. Audible was 2.25 seconds faster for the final time of the entire race. Same track, both times rated fast. The last news on Audible said he was headed to the Florida Derby. I usually don't plunge when they're that young but if I can get a decent price I may.

Check out his kick down the stretch. He looks like he's having a party out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezHpXZACywg
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 9th, 2018 at 3:36:16 PM permalink
3 Preps for tomorrow.

Tampa Bay Derby - Tampa Bay Race 11
I would toss Flameaway as World Of Trouble will likely keep him honest on the front end. No stealing this one. Vino Rosso and Tiz Mischief is where I would lean. This assumes Enticed and Free Drop Billy run in NY.
http://www1.drf.com/formulator-web/FreeRace.do?trackId=TAM&country=USA&raceDate=20180310&dayEvening=D&raceNumber=11#past-performance-race/11

San Felipe - Santa Anita Race 6
Bolt d'Oro vs McKinzie - I will just be watching this one...
Click on McKinzie Ultimate PPs:
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatch.cgi/Baffert/BAFFERT_BOB/9999/summary.htm

Gotham - Aqueduct Race 10
Free Drop Billy and Enticed is where I would lean. Return to a one turn mile @ Aqueduct is interesting change for this prep.
http://www.brisnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Gotham18.pdf

Kentuckdy Derby Future Pool #3 is open for the weekend:
https://www.kentuckyderby.com/wager/future-wager/derby-pool-3
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
March 10th, 2018 at 12:58:05 PM permalink
I enjoy betting on a winner. I'll probably take McKinzie... just so much potential (already proven quite a bit too). We'll see if I'm a fool for betting against an obviously talented Bolt. It's likely.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
March 10th, 2018 at 2:36:04 PM permalink
Tampa Derby:

I am tempted to give Vino Rosso credit for a better performance in the Sam F. Davis than the black & white running line on Feb 10, in part due to what I saw in the gallop out past the wired, after his turn of foot when he finally got straightened out to 'fly right' for the stretch run. I think that alone would not be a great reason to bet him. But I probably will, in a small sporting amount that won't leave me crying.

Timely advice from Natalie for this point in this equine adolescent's career:

I am interested in watching Graham Motion's colt (#9-Untamed Domain, Animal Kingdom > Lear Fan). But not betting him. There's certainly no reason I can see in his races to date to avoid stretching him out further than these middle distances, he has a very fine pedigree for taking to a distance of ground beyond what's being asked at this point, and for the potential of continued improvement throughout his 3 y/o season. But it is also particularly well suited for the grass he's been running on, and I have no other information to suggest he'd particularly like the footing on dirt.

EDIT: Phooey.

The official result chart notes:
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Mar 10, 2018
ahiromu
ahiromu
March 10th, 2018 at 3:34:04 PM permalink
Can anyone tell me if that Bolt/McKinzie objection/inquiry was controversial? I don't know the rules well enough.

Santa Anita, 3/10/2018 (saturday), race 6
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 10th, 2018 at 4:30:28 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

Can anyone tell me if that Bolt/McKinzie objection/inquiry was controversial? I don't know the rules well enough.

Santa Anita, 3/10/2018 (saturday), race 6

I did not think so. McKinzie was definitely drifting out a couple of paths late near the wire. And I believe this is why the stewards ultimately DQed him to 2nd. Equibase charts of the race:

https://www.equibase.com/premium/chartEmb.cfm?track=SA&raceDate=03/10/2018&cy=USA&rn=6

San Felipe video:

ahiromu
ahiromu
March 10th, 2018 at 5:31:02 PM permalink

I did not think so. McKinzie was definitely drifting out a couple of paths late near the wire. And I believe this is why the stewards ultimately DQed him to 2nd. Equibase charts of the race:

Thanks. I ended out betting a small amount (vs more $) on McKinzie because the odds got so small it probably wasn't worth it. A pretty good race, sad to see it end like that.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 11th, 2018 at 7:45:46 AM permalink

Can anyone tell me if that Bolt/McKinzie objection/inquiry was controversial? .

Waiting out a potential DQ where you had a substantial bet and the decision will effect your whole day is a horrible feeling.

Even if it goes your way you feel drained.

They show the replay 50 times.

I'd rather be getting a root canal.
ahiromu
ahiromu
March 11th, 2018 at 10:00:13 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Waiting out a potential DQ where you had a substantial bet and the decision will effect your whole day is a horrible feeling.

Even if it goes your way you feel drained.

They show the replay 50 times.

I'd rather be getting a root canal.

Yeah, it was draining for me and I didn't even have much on it. What's worse is that the announcer has absolutely no opinion (I'd do the same, so not blaming him). Like penalties in football are kind of entertaining because they put you in the ref's spot and try to reason it out. Here, it's much more nerve-racking.
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 11th, 2018 at 6:24:30 PM permalink

Thanks. I ended out betting a small amount (vs more $) on McKinzie because the odds got so small it probably wasn't worth it. A pretty good race, sad to see it end like that.

Sorry to hear you lost out on the DQ.
----------

Tampa Bay Derby - Quip won in another merry-go-round event at Tampa in a slow time. I am looking elsewhere for a Derby winner.

San Felipe - Bolt D'Oro and McKinzie ran the best races I have seen this year. The time was solid (when compared to the Big Cap run later). The time was also likely slower due to the bumping and drifting. Great race.

Gotham - Enticed won this one turn event. Solid runner and his final prep around 2 turns will be interesting to watch.
----------

The current Top 3 IMO- (three year old male Derby horses):
1 - Bolt D'Oro
2 - McKinzie
3 - Audible
Unfortunately I have no future wagers on any of the 3.

The Derby pool 3 has closed with all others favored @ 4-1 with Justify the second choice @ 6-1.
https://www.kentuckyderby.com/wager/future-wager/derby-pool-3
FinsRule
FinsRule
March 13th, 2018 at 5:28:00 AM permalink
Sorry I didn't post over the weekend. We were having our 3rd child and WOV is blocked in the hospital because it's a "gambling" site. So were all the other sites I use! So I had to use data and sparingly watch the races. It's funny, because I actually had my best day in a while. I hit the TB Derby exacta for $150 + a 20% bonus. I hit the late P4 at SA and Los Alamitos for about the same. So I won about $400 on Saturday and had a baby.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the 3 prep races (with 2 extra), and the closing of Pool 3:

1) Mendelssohn. He won his race and is being pointed to Dubai. It was his first race since BC day. He didn't look all that impressive. But it's the same thing for other horses. Does he build off that or not? In my mind he is still a possibility, and I do have some money on him, so him winning the Derby would be profitable.

2) Justify. Wow. I know this is crazy, but his stride reminds me of American Pharoah. Since I bet on Scat Daddy and the field to win in pools 1 and 2, him winning would be just about best case scenario for me.

3) Wood Memorial. Enticed is a nice horse. My thoughts about him are the same as my thoughts about Mendelssohn. If it's a race he can build off of, then he's a contender.

4) Tampa Bay Derby. I handicapped it well. I'm surprised Vino Rosso didn't fire at all. But Quip winning was not a shock. I think Flameaway actually ran pretty well in defeat. I'm glad to hear he's still pointed toward the Derby. I think Quip is a cut below here.

5) San Felipe. I thought Bolt would be short off the layoff. I was wrong. Apparently the stewards didn't see any proof, but it sure looked like Bolt cut off McKinzie on the final turn. Then McKinzie interfered with Bolt. So my vote would have been no change. But maybe it was just visually deceiving. Bolt is the real deal. I don't have really any money on him by himself on the Derby, because his price has been so bad. That's my biggest concern.

6) Pool 3. I know Justify looks great. And he is who I'm rooting for. But I'm surprised he was favored over Bolt. 7-1 is a solid price on Bolt. It's the same price you could have had on him in November. The field got too much action. I made one big (for me) bet on Pool 3, and that was Audible at 13-1. I think that's a great price on the horse I'd rank 3rd.

My ranks are:

1) Bolt
2) Justify
3) Audible
4) McKinzie

I did do some Oaks / Derby doubles with some longshots headed to Bolt, Justify, and a couple of others. I also did a $5 exacta box Bolt/Justify. 60-1 is a great price for that.

That's all for now.
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 13th, 2018 at 11:32:42 AM permalink
Congratulations on the new family addition and the wins over the weekend.

Justify at 6-1 with no Derby points was very surprising to me. He essentially has to run 1st or 2nd in one graded Derby prep to make the field. And he has to overcome the Apollo "curse" to win the Derby. Maybe he can do it, we will find out...
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
March 13th, 2018 at 10:43:03 PM permalink
Those preps for preps for the Derby with the slow raw unadjusted final times that I sneered about actually got some pretty good speed figures when adjustments for daily track variants were applied. But I'm still not very enthusiastic about anything I've seen so far. Maybe in the next round of mostly nine-furlong mostly Grade 1s in the last several before the main event. Or maybe not; nothing says each crop has to have a great one by May of their sophomore season.

I think these adjusted AWDs (Average Winning Distance #s) have had limited value for this purpose in recent years, for a variety of reasons, and they also can now easily be calculated by anyone on the fly from some past-performance formats, but FWIW, here are my AWD figures for the pedigrees of the 23 horses that were prominent enough to be included in Pool #3:

#1-Audible 6.6f
#2-Avery Island 7.6f
#3-Bolt d'Oro 7.9f
#4-Bravazo 7.1f
#5-Catholic Boy 7.2f
#6-Combatant 7.2f
#7-Flameaway 7.2f
#8-Free Drop Billy 7.5f
#9-Gold Town 7.7f
#10-Good Magic 7.5f
#11-Instilled Regard 7.4f
#12-Justify 7.2f
#13-Kanthaka 6.2f
#14-Magnum Moon 7.1f
#15-McKinzie 7.1f
#16-Mendelsohn 7.0f
#17-My Boy Jack 6.9f
#18-Noble Indy 6.6f
#19-Promises Fulfilled 6.7f
#20-Solomini 7.4f
#21-Sporting Chance 7.4f
#22-Strike Power 6.9f
#23-Vino Rosso 7.7f
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 14th, 2018 at 3:22:44 PM permalink
Thanks for those #'s DD. Audible's # is pretty low, maybe I have him too high on my list (or maybe not??).

Saturday:
Jeff Ruby Steaks Turfway Park #10
Hazit jumping up to 9 furlongs for this one. He may be on the lead, but for how long?
Click on Hazit's Ultimate PPs
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatch.cgi/public/ToddPletcher/PLETCHER+TODD+A/9999/summary.html

Oaklawn Rebel Stakes #10
Solomini's gonna take a lot of action with his past race "wins" over McKinzie and Bolt. I will be pulling for Combatant (Scat Daddy FR!), from the not great post #10. Looks to be a good field of routers with lots of options to choose and no My Boy Jack in this one.
Click on Solomini's Ultimate PPs
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatch.cgi/Baffert/BAFFERT_BOB/9999/summary.htm.
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 18th, 2018 at 6:30:11 PM permalink
Oaklawn Rebel Stakes #10
Magnum Moon 1st, Solomini 2nd, and Combatant 3rd.
Video can be viewed here:
https://www.kentuckyderby.com/prep-races/rebel

Jeff Ruby Steaks Turfway Park
Blended Citizen won.
Video can be viewed here:
https://www.kentuckyderby.com/prep-races/jeff-ruby-steaks
----------

Next weekend
Louisiana Derby Fairgrounds Race #11
I have 2 in here I hope show up with good performances. Dark Templar and Retirement Fund.
Click on Noble Indy's Ultimate PPS:
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatch.cgi/public/ToddPletcher/PLETCHER+TODD+A/9999/summary.html

And the Sunland Derby...
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 19th, 2018 at 4:53:25 AM permalink
I was scoping out some of the upcoming Derby preps and I was stunned to see Sunland has one on Sunday with a purse of $800k. Wow.

The purse for the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct is only $750k.

that must be a very big day for that little track.
FinsRule
FinsRule
March 19th, 2018 at 9:02:44 AM permalink
Magnum Moon looked pretty good on Saturday. I'll be interested to see if he stays in Arkansas for the next race. Him versus Justify could be a lot of fun.

Louisiana is a mess next Saturday. I don't think I like any of them to win the Derby off of a 6 week layoff.

Haven't heard of anything with any quality heading over to Sunland.
  • Jump to: