tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 9th, 2015 at 9:24:40 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think for purposes of the "will there be a safety?" bet, it would count. As you noted, the one-point safety could not be possible for a prop on the first score of the game, which is a common one.

A one point safety is impossible in the nfl. The article you linked was talking about college football. It also shows the most common way to get a one point safety apparently, awarded to the kicking team.

Ironically the referee calling the one point safety in the Oregon game was Ron Cherry, better known for this call.

thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 9th, 2015 at 9:34:29 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

A one point safety is impossible in the nfl.

Nope, it is possible to get a 1 point safety in the NFL, awarded to the kicking team:

(d) If there is no kick, and the Try results in what would ordinarily be a safety against the defense, one point is awarded
to the offensive team.

Example

A.R. 11.4 During a Try, placekick holder A1 fumbles. B1 kicks, bats, or muffs the loose ball (new impetus) on his two-yard line and it
goes out of bounds behind the goal line.
Ruling: Ordinarily a safety (11-5-1). Award one point.

My example

... the place holder fumbles (so no kick has been attempted, as soon as a kick is attempted and has failed the play is over, hence you can't score of a batted down PAT)... during the fumble recovery a defender fumbles and kicks the ball out of bounds in the endzone. That would be a safety:

"when an impetus by a team sends the ball behind its own goal line, and the ball is dead in the end zone in its possession or the ball is out of bounds behind the goal line. "

The defence should try to recover a fumbled snap, as if the ball IS advanced into the endzone (or recovered there by the offence) it would be a 2 point Try. If the defence falls on the ball in the endzone the play is over (as the defence has gained possession) as a touchback.

I will not be betting on a one point safety in the superbowl.

Quote:

when an impetus by a team sends the ball behind its own goal line, and the ball is dead in the end zone in its
possession or the ball is out of bounds behind the goal line.

The article IS talking about the NFL and gives the example I give above, and I referenced the rule book in a previous post.

Quote:

So the only scenario that could result in a one-point safety in the NFL involves a defensive player batting the ball out of the end zone without having taken possession.

"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1403
January 9th, 2015 at 9:36:09 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

The article you linked was talking about college football.

Did you read the last paragraph of the article?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 9th, 2015 at 10:27:24 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

... I will not be betting on a one point safety in the superbowl.

What if you could bet against it occuring, but had to put up 9999 to win 1? The fair line on this occuring has got to be in "struck by lightning" territory...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 28
January 9th, 2015 at 10:31:32 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

What if you could bet against it occuring, but had to put up 9999 to win 1? The fair line on this occuring has got to be in "struck by lightning" territory...

Which is why it wouldn't be worthwhile to the player, nor the house, to have that line... and thus they don't :p.

So Mike, did you say earlier you're planning to take action on both the no safety and no overtime? I'm planning on taking action on NO OT. Do you think that would also come down from -900 as it comes closer to game day?
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 9th, 2015 at 11:31:04 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

Which is why it wouldn't be worthwhile to the player, nor the house, to have that line... and thus they don't :p.

Hehe, I wonder what is the fair line on this event, that hasn't occured (yet) in the NFL?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 28
January 9th, 2015 at 11:38:09 AM permalink

Hehe, I wonder what is the fair line on this event, that hasn't occured (yet) in the NFL?

Are they using INT's or DOUBLE's in their back end server code? lol (I promise that's funny if you know programming...)
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 106
January 9th, 2015 at 12:15:10 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

Are they using INT's or DOUBLE's in their back end server code? lol (I promise that's funny if you know programming...)

I know programming. I also know English, and that makes it not quite as funny. (There shouldn't be apostrophes in "INTs or DOUBLEs".)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 106
January 9th, 2015 at 12:20:50 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think for purposes of the "will there be a safety?" bet, it would count. As you noted, the one-point safety could not be possible for a prop on the first score of the game, which is a common one.

I was about to agree with you, but then, would a successful 2-point conversion count as a touchdown, or a 1-point kick as a field goal? Going by a strict reading of the rules, point-scoring plays on a PAT are considered field goals, touchdowns, and safeties.

Then again, don't most props involving FGs/TDs include conditions saying that PATs don't count for those? If so, then, since there is almost certainly no such condition on the safety/no safety one, I would think that it would count anyway.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 9th, 2015 at 12:54:07 PM permalink

Nope, not doing that either.... not worth it... I can increase my bankroll better by leaving the money in the bank... :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

• Jump to: