Thread Rating:

mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 26th, 2010 at 4:12:19 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Fortunately, we have an English teacher in our midst. From the "cheating boyfriends" thread:

I wonder if he will translate it from gibberish to English.

Sure, I do that about 200 times a week anyway :)

But where is it?
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1197
September 26th, 2010 at 4:14:12 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Sure, I do that about 200 times a week anyway :)

But where is it?

Wonderful! I would suggest that 98steps PM it to you.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 26th, 2010 at 5:06:05 PM permalink
Quote: 98steps

As it is now a requirement that my System submission be proof-read and corrected, I am asking that those in the community that would be willing to help me please let me know.

I don't think that's a new requirement. In order for you to comply with any challenge that involves programming the steps of a system into a computer, your system must be described as a proper algorithm. It must be perfectly clear at each possible step what the computer simulation is to do next. There can be no guessing or making things up. If your system cannot be described in a computationally-complete way, it is not suitable (and indeed, not possible) to test.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 26
September 26th, 2010 at 5:13:32 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

[Y]our system must be described as a proper algorithm... If your system cannot be described in a computationally-complete way, it is not suitable (and indeed, not possible) to test.

Let me be clear, these are MathExtremist's words, not mine. I'm not asking for an explanation that reads like a computer program or that includes any special jargon. Plain English is fine. I just need to know what bets to make, when to make them, and how much to bet.
7craps
7craps
  • Threads: 18
September 26th, 2010 at 6:53:59 PM permalink
Quote: 98steps

Michael, I apologize if my e-mail came thru to you as "gibberish". Perhaps the formatting did not transfer with the data when I cut and pasted it per your request. I do not believe I ever asked for, or implied that I needed, help with it. I acknowledge that we are in negotiation of my attempts to accept your challenge.

I will re-write the directions for operating my system and try to make the directions more understandable to you.

98steps
IF you tried to send a WinCraps auto bet file to Mr Bluejay, it will not work unless the other party has Wincraps.
You need to copy the bet file IN Wincraps first to a text file.

In other words, you must use the software to make a text file so you can send it to someone using email.
If that is the case, contact me using PM, and I will give you my email so you can send the auto-bet file to me, I will make a text file from it and send it back to you.

If you do not need my help:
good luck to you
winsome johnny (not Win some johnny)
StingMe
StingMe
  • Threads: 5
September 26th, 2010 at 7:01:31 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Any attorneys on the forum? If not, I am available. Again, I can't speak for either party; I'm just trying to moderate and expedite things.

Maybe...
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
September 26th, 2010 at 7:09:01 PM permalink
He didn't send a WinCraps auto bet file to me. (I don't have WinCraps, but what he sent certainly wasn't anything that a computer would understand.) It's his explanation of his system, full of incomplete sentences, his own special terminology (e.g., "scheduled odds", whatever that means), and exceptionally unclear sentences. It's 101 lines long.
98steps
98steps
  • Threads: 4
September 26th, 2010 at 9:20:31 PM permalink
The document I submitted did indeed contain many incomplete sentences. It was written in Outline Format. I apologize again for providing you with information that you could not easily digest. I make no apologies for the length of the document, as what I provided is not a simplistic angle. It is a complete method/system of play and the outline was written to accomodate every possible outcome.
98steps
98steps
  • Threads: 4
September 26th, 2010 at 9:43:36 PM permalink
I am currently rewriting the System Instructions in order to make it more intelligible. I have also extended invitations to several community members in order to solicit second opinions on its clarity.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
September 26th, 2010 at 10:08:06 PM permalink
No, it was absolutely NOT in outline format. There was ZERO hierarchical structure in what you sent. There was no I., A., 1., etc. There were no indentations. It was just a load of text. I got the highest possible score on the SAT Test of Standard Written English, and I know what outline format is.

But in any event, it wouldn't matter even if the text *had* been in outline format, because it would still have been completely unintelligible. Instructions call for complete sentences.

It's funny, because 98 writes very well here on the forum, but the system reads like it was written by somebody else.

• Jump to: