Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 15th, 2020 at 7:54:55 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

The U.S. response has been a semi-comedic disaster. I keep asking people, "Why do you think shutting down some U.S. states for a month will be effective as opposed to twice the length of time in Italy or Spain?" No answers. I keep asking people, "At what point in number of deaths do you shut down again -- 150,000, 200,000, 300,000?" Nobody wants to give an answer.

It's all day-to-day "thoughts and prayers" while chucking-and-ducking responsibility. If people weren't dying left and right, it'd be hilarious. American hubris and lack of discipline at its finest.

Everything is right on schedule, as I mention in:

Link redacted by management

Advertising/political statement -- three day suspension.

If one wants to link to his own site, permission should be sought first.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
June 20th, 2020 at 5:28:56 AM permalink
incredible to me

the U.S. sent a spacecraft to within 8,000 miles of Pluto, more than 3.5 BILLION miles away
but the smartest people in the world can't figure out this virus
they're all just guessing

really effing s...s - big time
Please don't feed the trolls
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
June 20th, 2020 at 5:50:52 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

incredible to me ... the smartest people in the world can't figure out this virus

True, the "smart" folk have not yet "figured out" this virus. It is a newly discovered virus. It is complex, with unexpected new virus strains, each with different effects. I understand impatient gamblers find the international pandemic inconvenient to their desires. Unfortunately, science doesn't work according to the timetable of impatient gamblers.

With every passing week, we learn more about the virus. Yes, the early expert advice got changed. As we work to unravel how best to resolve the pandemic, we need to understand that this is how science works. Thanx to WoV members who follow the various (possible) medical solutions, as we will never be safe until a workable vaccine is discovered.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 20th, 2020 at 12:13:10 PM permalink
It took nature a couple of billion years to create this virus. Isolating it and coming up with a vaccine in anything close to a year will be a miracle.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
June 20th, 2020 at 12:46:00 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

It took nature a couple of billion years to create this virus. Isolating it and coming up with a vaccine in anything close to a year will be a miracle.

True that.

We need a treatment more than a vaccine.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
June 20th, 2020 at 5:26:42 PM permalink
Hmmm, it's either cinnamon candy or 160 proof Russian vodka.
darkoz
darkoz
June 20th, 2020 at 6:27:34 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Hmmm, it's either cinnamon candy or 160 proof Russian vodka.

Or Leronlimab
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
June 20th, 2020 at 7:35:32 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quote: redietz

The U.S. response has been a semi-comedic disaster. I keep asking people, "Why do you think shutting down some U.S. states for a month will be effective as opposed to twice the length of time in Italy or Spain?" No answers. I keep asking people, "At what point in number of deaths do you shut down again -- 150,000, 200,000, 300,000?" Nobody wants to give an answer.

It's all day-to-day "thoughts and prayers" while chucking-and-ducking responsibility. If people weren't dying left and right, it'd be hilarious. American hubris and lack of discipline at its finest.

Everything is right on schedule, as I mention in:

Link redacted by management

Advertising/political statement -- three day suspension.

If one wants to link to his own site, permission should be sought first.

The interesting thing about this comment was that the word "political" was attached to it when I used the phrase "United States." Presumably, in the interests of fairness and consistency, then, anything that says "the United States did great sending a probe to Pluto" or "the United States is a world leader" is also a "political statement" and should lead to a suspension. By definition, any commentary on the U.S.'s scientific proficiency or lack thereof or organizational abilities or lack thereof is a political statement.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike being a lousy road is a political statement. The signage around Charlotte being terrible is a political statement. They all reflect on some aspect of government.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
tringlomane
June 20th, 2020 at 8:03:16 PM permalink
Some days Mike cracks the whip harder than usual. Unless you're really aggrieved about it, a couple days suspension is usually not worth arguing about.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
June 20th, 2020 at 8:25:19 PM permalink
Might have just been a cumulative thing, and part of it linking own blog. I’d say somewhere around 80% of his posts could be interpreted as political, mostly appearing to be consciously toeing the line without being egregious.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
June 20th, 2020 at 8:38:47 PM permalink
Expired post.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Jun 21, 2020
darkoz
darkoz
June 21st, 2020 at 11:34:31 AM permalink
Awesome video testimonial.

It 19 minutes but please watch it fully. Very insightful

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 21st, 2020 at 12:37:01 PM permalink
Anybody as sick of the TV
commercials mentioning
the virus as I am? Every
other one has to say
something about it in
a whiny/faux sympathy
voice. SHUT UP already,
we're tired of it, we just
want to move on.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 21st, 2020 at 2:51:36 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

commercials mentioning
the virus as I am? Every
other one has to say
something about it in
a whiny/faux sympathy
voice. SHUT UP already,
want to move on.

I don't think I have seen a single one/ I am surprised you still watch commercial TV/
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
June 21st, 2020 at 9:24:59 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I don't think I have seen a single one/ I am surprised you still watch commercial TV/

It's pretty common.

This is my favorite.

https://youtu.be/WjfmZcnhhSc
tringlomane
tringlomane
Thanked by
RogerKint
June 21st, 2020 at 9:26:54 PM permalink

commercials mentioning
the virus as I am? Every
other one has to say
something about it in
a whiny/faux sympathy
voice. SHUT UP already,
want to move on.

Whispers in Bob's ear, "In these unprecedented times..."
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 22nd, 2020 at 10:25:07 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I don't think I have seen a single one/

Watching a rerun of Pawn Stars
and 6 of the 8 commercials was
about covid. You have to actually
turn on the TV to do this.
billryan
billryan
June 22nd, 2020 at 11:38:51 AM permalink
Is tv what people used to watch before streaming was invented?
I had a marathon auction session yesterday that went from 10Am to after 7PM. I keep the tv on on for background noise and while I'm sure there were hundreds of commercials, I can't recall a single one. If only there were a way to avoid watching things you don't like.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
June 22nd, 2020 at 2:48:07 PM permalink
Quote:

A pair of studies published this week is shedding light on the duration of immunity following COVID-19, showing patients lose their IgG antibodies—the virus-specific, slower-forming antibodies associated with long-term immunity—within weeks or months after recovery. With COVID-19, most people who become infected do produce antibodies, and even small amounts can still neutralize the virus in vitro, according to earlier work. These latest studies could not determine if a lack of antibodies leaves people at risk of reinfection.

One of the studies found that 10 percent of nearly 1,500 COVID-positive patients registered undetectable antibody levels within weeks of first showing symptoms, while the other of 74 patients found they typically lost their antibodies two to three months after recovering from the infection, especially among those who tested positive but were asymptomatic.

In contrast, infections caused by coronavirus cousins such as SARS and MERS result in antibodies that remain in the body for nearly a year, according to The New York Times.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650?utm_campaign=TS_DAILY%20NEWSLETTER_2020&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=89971438&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9RzkBtDLCIK4QdaE6t_Re1N6oZZwYYRmyXNocyq84_l_JCvO4g60loBf5QMKT8qniOVewqANt7c2tkiG-V1d3vZt6S2g&utm_content=89971438&utm_source=hs_email
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
June 26th, 2020 at 3:02:55 AM permalink
Let's have a surprise birthday party and infect a lot of people in a couple of hours!

Eighteen relatives test positive for coronavirus after surprise birthday party
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/504647-eighteen-relatives-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-surprise
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
DeMangodarkoz
June 26th, 2020 at 4:46:45 AM permalink
Florida geniuses screaming at Doctors about having to wear masks
saying the Doctors will be punished by God
saying the Doctors credentials are phony
this kind of thing is going on in several different states
welcome to our new internet world

darkoz
darkoz
June 26th, 2020 at 8:37:41 AM permalink
This is America!

billryan
billryan
June 26th, 2020 at 9:17:43 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

This is America!

Not defending that jerk, but I'd think an Uber or Lyft driver would spring for $10 and buy a pack of disposable masks to offer his fares.
An ounce of prevention often prevents situations like this .
Meanwhile, I hope this jerk is identified and gets the derision he deserves.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
June 26th, 2020 at 9:24:59 AM permalink
Quote:

Not defending that jerk, but I'd think an Uber or Lyft driver would spring for $10 and buy a pack of disposable masks to offer his fares.
An ounce of prevention often prevents situations like this .
Meanwhile, I hope this jerk is identified and gets the derision he deserves.

These are the kind of jerks that probably wouldn't put on a mask even if offered one, or would be offended by the gesture, so I doubt it would have made a difference here.
darkoz
darkoz
June 26th, 2020 at 9:32:18 AM permalink
Quote: UP84

These are the kind of jerks that probably wouldn't put on a mask even if offered one, or would be offended by the gesture, so I doubt it would have made a difference here.

Absolutely correct.

To be fair, the Uber driver didn't even demand the mask. He was willing to just go with a shirt over the mouth.

The guy was offended even by that and began with the racist comments. That's what got him kicked out the car
billryan
billryan
June 26th, 2020 at 9:48:28 AM permalink
Quote: UP84

I suspect the guy would have worn one just to get home, but who is to say.
Chances are someone is starting a go fund me account for the driver. I like how he stood his ground.
tringlomane
tringlomane
June 26th, 2020 at 1:57:31 PM permalink
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/state/bars-in-florida-can-no-longer-serve-alcohol-for-on-premises-consumption-amid-covid-19-spike

On-premises consumption at bars suspended statewide after Florida broke its daily new case record (that was 2 days old) by 62.4%!
darkoz
darkoz
June 26th, 2020 at 2:26:39 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/state/bars-in-florida-can-no-longer-serve-alcohol-for-on-premises-consumption-amid-covid-19-spike

On-premises consumption at bars suspended statewide after Florida broke its daily new case record (that was 2 days old) by 62.4%!

It's like a comedy show.

Denial of basic common sense health like mask wearing and then they shake their heads, like, "what happened?"
rxwine
rxwine
June 26th, 2020 at 2:53:29 PM permalink

It's like a comedy show.

Denial of basic common sense health like mask wearing and then they shake their heads, like, "what happened?"

We're kind of stuck with the situation we have at the moment. Because it's so far advanced. But I know even during the beginning of this there was a private company which was detecting the problems in China and knew there was an outbreak. I also have little trouble believing our intelligence services were at least fully capable of detecting the outbreak.

Perhaps I could be more outraged at the capability we had and didn't use properly early enough, but I'm really going to outraged if this happens again and I start hearing any nonsense at all about an outbreak being hoaxes. And I'm talking about a new viral outbreak beyond this one, and not related.

I hope the public memory lasts at least 30 years. If more of the public thinks it's a hoax or a simple inconvenience next time, we'll be in even more trouble. Not less.
darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
tringlomane
June 26th, 2020 at 3:59:08 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

We're kind of stuck with the situation we have at the moment. Because it's so far advanced. But I know even during the beginning of this there was a private company which was detecting the problems in China and knew there was an outbreak. I also have little trouble believing our intelligence services were at least fully capable of detecting the outbreak.

Perhaps I could be more outraged at the capability we had and didn't use properly early enough, but I'm really going to outraged if this happens again and I start hearing any nonsense at all about an outbreak being hoaxes. And I'm talking about a new viral outbreak beyond this one, and not related.

I hope the public memory lasts at least 30 years. If more of the public thinks it's a hoax or a simple inconvenience next time, we'll be in even more trouble. Not less.

Sadly history repeats.

Anti-mask league refused to follow the law during 1918 pandemic in San Francisco.

Result: San Francisco became one of the worst hit cities of the Spanish Flu. 45,000 dead in just that city alone

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-anti-mask-league-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-2020-5%3famp
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 26th, 2020 at 8:20:27 PM permalink
WTH, all the live dealers at Bovada
are wearing masks. That's nuts,
they didn't wear them at the
height of big scare, why now.
Of course there is more recorded
cases, there's more testing. But
there are far fewer dying. 5 hours
ago there were no masks.

darkoz
darkoz
June 26th, 2020 at 10:18:46 PM permalink

ago there were no masks.

People don't die of covid the day they arrive at the hospital usually. In general it's.a few weeks so the climbing hospitalization rate means we can expect a rising death rate in about two weeks.

The same effect in reverse happened in NYS. We were reducing hospitalization rates while the death rate kept climbing. Because the people dying were from the rising hospitalization rates of a few weeks earlier.

Throughout this pandemic I repeatedly see naysayers pointing to positive test rate, hospitalization rate and death rate as if all three are supposed to be in sync which simply isn't true
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 26th, 2020 at 10:33:40 PM permalink

we can expect a rising death rate in about two weeks.

No we can't. The new cases are
mostly people under 45 who
have a 99% chance of survival,
just like the regular flu. Which
this basically is.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 26th, 2020 at 10:35:56 PM permalink

this basically is.

Like I heard today, hospitals are
at 80% capacity. Oh no! What
they failed to report was it's
not covid patients, it's regular
patients. Anything to keep the
scare going.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
tringlomane
June 26th, 2020 at 11:04:42 PM permalink
Dang. A lady got upset at a Starbucks barista for not serving her because she wasn't wearing a mask, so she published the barista's picture and complained. Instead of the desired reaction, someone started a tip go fund me page for the barista and it's up to $57,000. (as I just checked.) Talk about backfiring.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/starbucks-barista-gets-dollar48000-plus-tip-after-customer-complains-about-being-refused-service-for-not-wearing-mask/ar-BB1618JL?ocid=spartanntp
darkoz
darkoz
June 26th, 2020 at 11:36:18 PM permalink

this basically is.

Well we'll know in two weeks won't we
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 27th, 2020 at 12:56:58 AM permalink

Well we'll know in two weeks won't we

What's two weeks got to do with
anything. The virus has been
going around since last fall,
it didn't just suddenly appear
in Feb. It's never slowed down,
it's been continually infecting
people and still is. Right now
in AZ they are finding 3000
new cases a day and about
300 a day are dying. That's a
1% death rate. 99% get better
if they ever get sick at all. Most
have herd immunity already.

In most other states, the deaths
per day are in the single digits
or teens, with new cases
discovered every day. It's the
flu.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
June 27th, 2020 at 1:11:07 AM permalink
Inside the body, the coronavirus is even more sinister than scientists had realized
https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-06-26/inside-the-body-the-coronavirus-is-even-more-sinister-than-scientists-had-realized

I'm gonna go with N95 masks and goggles over my glasses.
tringlomane
tringlomane
Thanked by
OnceDeardarkoz
June 27th, 2020 at 3:08:30 AM permalink

or teens, with new cases
flu.

Last fall??? Link????

Most have "herd immunity" already??? Wtf? Do you know what "herd immunity" means?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/herd-immunity

Mods please delete these BALD FACE LIES!!!! Or at least SHAME IT!!!

Experts have repeatedly said that the actual number infected is around a factor of 10 of the "official number" thanks to various serology tests. In Florida, as of 6/19, they had a 4.05% positive rate via serology, which would equate to about 891,000 catching it in Florida. Roughly 10 times the offical count. But to get "herd immunity" we need roughly SIXTY percent infection!!!

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/action/report_archive/serology/serology_latest.pdf

Even in the 1918 pandemic, estimates believe 27% of the world caught it. Not even close to 60%+!

https://bankingjournal.aba.com/2020/04/the-spanish-flu-pandemic-and-the-u-s-economy/
UP84
UP84
June 27th, 2020 at 5:55:49 AM permalink

.... The virus has been

or teens, with new cases
flu.

The public speakers in this video from a few posts back would agree with you.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 27th, 2020 at 10:37:37 AM permalink

ago there were no masks.

Most have herd immunity already.

yesterday, according to the CDC, (linked), 𝟐,𝟓𝟏𝟔 𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐝, which is way, way, more than previous days - about 3 to 6 times as many
I follow this every single day
and far from all of the 𝟒𝟎,𝟓𝟖𝟖 new cases, 𝐲𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝐢𝐧 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐲, can be accounted for by more testing
there are also statistics showing a great many more hospitalizations in the states that are surging

herd immunity is a controversial subject which you have the right to comment upon, but which you are not qualified to have your comments regarded as being meaningful
clearly, your goal is to minimize this national tragedy and we all know the reason why
your goal cannot be achieved

what will it take for people such as yourself to stop trying to minimize this?
200,000 deaths? - it looks we're not that far away from that figure - maybe 300,000 deaths will quiet you down
God forbid

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jun 27, 2020
UP84
UP84
June 27th, 2020 at 10:58:19 AM permalink

yesterday, according to the CDC, (linked), 2,516 died, which is way, way, more than previous days - about 3 to 6 times as many
I follow this every single day...

I've been following the CDC numbers too, and the 2,516 total was a one-day blip in the data as New Jersey reported yesterday about an additional 2,000 previously unreported COVID related deaths.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 27th, 2020 at 11:05:57 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Last fall???

Mommy mommy, the sky is falling,
the sky is falling!! Do I have my
official Dr Foochi super duper
mask on? Should I wear it to
bed? We're all gonna dieeeeee...

lOLOLOL
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 27th, 2020 at 11:32:32 AM permalink

This is America!

I love the big guy for standing
up to the white glasses geek.
I use ride sharing a lot and
there is no way I would gotten
out. I would have tied up as
much of the geeks time as
possible, make him call the
cops. i would have demanded
to be taken back to where he
picked me up.
UP84
UP84
Thanked by
OnceDearrxwine
June 27th, 2020 at 11:35:07 AM permalink

...i would have demanded
picked me up.

The 19th century.
darkoz
darkoz
June 27th, 2020 at 11:35:38 AM permalink

This is America!

I love the big guy for standing
up to the white glasses geek.
I use ride sharing a lot and
there is no way I would gotten
out. I would have tied up as
much of the geeks time as
possible, make him call the
cops. i would have demanded
picked me up.

The cops would have told you to step out of his car. He basically had right to refuse service like any company and you were trespassing at that point. They would have told you it was basically a civil matter but you had to get out of his car.

And if there was some mandate about mask wearing (depending where this took place) you might even have gotten a ticket
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
OnceDear
June 27th, 2020 at 11:38:45 AM permalink

Mommy mommy, the sky is falling,
the sky is falling!! Do I have my
official Dr Foochi super duper
mask on? Should I wear it to
bed? We're all gonna dieeeeee...

lOLOLOL

hilarious
if it happens to you or yours you won't be laughing.....................................𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐝
billryan
billryan
June 27th, 2020 at 11:52:59 AM permalink
How badly must one screw up their life to qualify as a spokesman for a virus?
darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
tringlomane
June 27th, 2020 at 11:58:51 AM permalink

hilarious
if it happens to you or yours you won't be laughing.....................................𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐝

Anyone notice AZDuffman has stopped arguing about it.

I wonder if he caught Covid-19 or it has affected someone he knows.

He was this forums most vocal defender of not wearing masks and reopening the economy

This whole week not a peep from him
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
tringlomaneOnceDear
June 27th, 2020 at 12:02:28 PM permalink

or teens, with new cases
flu.

This is such an ignorant post I don't know where to start. I'll start with the most ignorant statement... "It's the flu". The flu has never overwhelmed a modern health care system in our country like COVID-19 did to NYC in March/April/May. NOT enough ICU beds by the hundreds. NOT enough storage capacity for the dead bodies.

1% death rate as some big win? I agree with you that the death rate may end up being 1%, maybe even a tad lower. 3000 means 30 more deaths a day in Arizona. It may not mean anything to you, but Arizonans may have a different idea.

Saying "most have herd immunity already" means you don't have any idea about how many people need to be infected to qualify as 'herd immunity'.

The virus has been going around since last fall? If you are talking Wuhan and not the United States... which of course you are not....

What happened to you at least attempting to use critical thinking?
  • Jump to: