mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
September 18th, 2021 at 3:54:25 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Melissa Healy, Amina Khan
Fri, September 17, 2021, 8:47 PM

Amid persistent concerns that the protection offered by COVID-19 vaccines may be waning, a report released Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention finds that America's workhorse shot is significantly less effective at preventing severe cases of disease over the long term than many experts had realized.

Data collected from 18 states between March and August suggest the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine reduces the risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19 by 91% in the first four months after receiving the second dose. Beyond 120 days, however, that vaccine efficacy drops to 77%.

Meanwhile, Moderna's vaccine was 93% effective at reducing the short-term risk of COVID-19 hospitalization and remained 92% effective after 120 days.

• link to original post

The strong divide between the FDA panel and Pfizer/Fauci on approving a “booster shot” was the eye raising and concerning part of the article for me, certainly makes it rather ambiguous for those not considered at elevated risk of severe illness to make an informed decision. FDA overwhelmingly voted against full approval of a third shot for all 16+ adults by a vote of 16-2, citing the need for more age specific data to be presented regarding safety. They did unanimously vote to recommend it for 65+, and other elevated risk categories.

Commenting on not approving it beforehand being a “mistake” by someone in Fauci’s position seems a bit like meddling, undermining credibility of and trying to influence what’s supposed to be an independent decision but whatever.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    • Threads: 188
    September 26th, 2021 at 9:04:29 AM permalink
    _________

there's a terrible shortage of health care workers all over the U.S.

the State of New York is now in dire straits because they have a vaccine mandate for health care workers which goes into force on Monday

the State is actually considering calling up the National Guard to fill multiple vacant positions that will come about Monday because of the mandate

the country is Covid weary - and many are letting down their guard but according to the CDC their were more than 130,000 new cases and more than 2,000 deaths yesterday

the Covid virus itself____________is not at all weary

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/new-york-may-tap-national-guard-replace-unvaccinated-healthcare-workers-2021-09-26/

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_casesper100klast7days

"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 228
    RogerKint
    September 26th, 2021 at 9:09:32 AM permalink
    Quote: lilredrooster

_________

the State of New York is now in dire straits because they have a vaccine mandate for health care workers which goes into force on Monday

the State is actually considering calling up the National Guard to fill multiple vacant positions that will come about Monday because of the mandate

the country is Covid weary - and many are letting down their guard but according to the CDC their were more than 130,000 new cases and more than 2,000 deaths yesterday

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/new-york-may-tap-national-guard-replace-unvaccinated-healthcare-workers-2021-09-26/

• link to original post

Dropping the mandate to stop the worker shortage would make too much sense I guess.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    darkoz
    darkoz
    • Threads: 262
    September 26th, 2021 at 9:20:13 AM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: lilredrooster

_________

• link to original post

Dropping the mandate to stop the worker shortage would make too much sense I guess.
  • link to original post

You guys are mixing and matching here.

There is no worker shortages in NY. In fact, we have coronavirus under control through strict mask wearing and vaccination proof requirements.

Here is the number of deaths in ALL NY STATE YESTERDAY.

In a state with a multiple decent size cities and one city with 8 million people, there were less than twenty who died yesterday. And less than fifty for the entire week! You think we have a shortage of workers?

The vaccine mandate is thinking ahead to prevent virus spread not the other way around.

But hey, to a guy who holds maskless parties during a pandemic that wouldn't make much sense.
    For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    September 26th, 2021 at 9:28:19 AM permalink
    Quote: darkoz

There is no worker shortages in NY.

you missed the point
    there is a NY law requiring all health care workers to be vaccinated by Monday
    a great no. have not been vaccinated and worker shortages are anticipated
    the linked article states that tens of thousands of workers are unlikely to meet the Monday deadline

a plan to use the National Guard as health care workers is being considered by the Governor of NY

I clearly stated that there was shortage of health care workers all over the U.S. - I did not pick out NY

AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 228
    September 26th, 2021 at 1:00:53 PM permalink
    Quote: darkoz

But hey, to a guy who holds maskless parties during a pandemic that wouldn't make much sense.

• link to original post

Who wants to go to a party and wear masks?

Just worked a maskless poker tournament last week! Great stuff! Even the bartender did not bother with a mask.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    Gundy
    Gundy
    • Threads: 0
    AZDuffmanDeMangoRogerKint
    September 26th, 2021 at 1:33:27 PM permalink
    SO glad I live in a free state where masks are long gone.

Vaccinated AND masked? That's funny stuff.
    darkoz
    darkoz
    • Threads: 262
    September 26th, 2021 at 2:02:14 PM permalink
    Quote: Gundy

• link to original post

May I ask which state that is?

Just so I can compare covid numbers to NYS.

Maybe I will get a laugh too.
    For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    • Threads: 434
    LuckyPhow
    September 27th, 2021 at 12:34:47 AM permalink
    Quote: Gundy

• link to original post

My fully vaccinated sister-in-law died of covid after weeks in the hospital last month.
    If you think you're protected because you're vaccinated you're living in a dream world.
    "It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    September 27th, 2021 at 2:36:31 AM permalink

as Covid ramps up, Costco is again limiting the purchases of toilet paper, water and cleaning supplies

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/09/24/1040471872/limits-toilet-paper-cleaning-supplies-costco-delta-covid

• Jump to: