Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 224
  • Posts: 12332
December 16th, 2020 at 2:11:25 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Saying you wore a mask and monitoring people using them correctly are far different things.



Monitoring people using them correctly? That sounds scary. Very 1984.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 168
  • Posts: 3425
December 16th, 2020 at 2:15:02 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

We had that discussion. 85% of people caught it were mask wearers.




whatever discussion you're referring to - it wasn't scientific

from the article:


"Health authorities have never said masks alone will slow the spread of the coronavirus, but have an impact when combined with other prevention methods, such as hand washing and social distancing ( here , here ). Evidence that masks significantly help to reduce the risk of infection is visible here , and here .

Reuters has debunked other misleading claims about face coverings here , here and here . (click on link to go "here, here, and here")

Missing context. Both groups of people with and without the novel coronavirus, demonstrated high levels of mask use (85% and 88.7% respectively). The study, which aimed to analyze community and close contact exposure and not mask use, found that more infected people had been to locations where masks cannot be worn effectively, like restaurants and bars.

This article was produced by the Reuters Fact Check team. Read more about our work to fact-check social media posts  here  . 


https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-cdc-study-exposure/fact-check-misrepresented-cdc-study-about-community-exposure-to-the-new-coronavirus-idUSKBN2741WF
𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 167
  • Posts: 9971
December 16th, 2020 at 2:20:23 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Monitoring people using them correctly? That sounds scary. Very 1984.



Like research scientist do, not police. You know, like when Jane Goodall records chimp behavior.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 168
  • Posts: 3425
December 16th, 2020 at 2:30:16 PM permalink
in addition to millions refusing to wear masks appropriately -

reports indicate somewhere around 25% in the U.S. will refuse the vaccine or at least are not sure they will take it

Good Luck America - we're really going to need it - not enough advantage players taking on Covid



*
𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 168
  • Posts: 3425
December 16th, 2020 at 3:34:57 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

monitoring people



I don't mind a bit giving up italic 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 of my personal privacy so the authorities can monitor the misbehaving morons in this country
there are far too many misbehaving morons in America

just have to be sure they're not monitoring for political purposes - i.e. - what books we're checking out at the library

even though the authorities might be capable of knowing that I'm not a misbehaving moron
they can't know that I might not become one in the future

who knows? maybe I'll get bumped in the head in a car accident
then maybe I'll become vulnerable to the propaganda of the knuckle draggers - I could become a moronic bobblehead dittoing a lot of babbling nonsense and ready to go into action when the head knuckle draggers say the time is right

so, I too, could potentially become a misbehaving moron in the future


*
𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
Gabes22
Gabes22
Joined: Jul 19, 2011
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1427
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
December 16th, 2020 at 3:38:27 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

in addition to millions refusing to wear masks appropriately -

reports indicate somewhere around 25% in the U.S. will refuse the vaccine or at least are not sure they will take it

Good Luck America - we're really going to need it - not enough advantage players taking on Covid



*



Count me in the crowd of people who will refuse to take the vaccine. I don't care if it offered for free or even if I am paid to take it. I refuse to be a guinea pig. I view it in a very similar fashion I view technological innovations. Let's others overpay and let others find the bugs or problems they didn't find in initial testing. 6-12 months down the road when they have those unforseen problems identified and remedied i will revisit it.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 167
  • Posts: 9971
December 16th, 2020 at 3:47:16 PM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

Count me in the crowd of people who will refuse to take the vaccine. I don't care if it offered for free or even if I am paid to take it. I refuse to be a guinea pig. I view it in a very similar fashion I view technological innovations. Let's others overpay and let others find the bugs or problems they didn't find in initial testing. 6-12 months down the road when they have those unforseen problems identified and remedied i will revisit it.



I can understand that...kindof. Though all the chemicals and compounds we consume, breathe or otherwise expose to have longer term tests for safety, no one can really test them in all the combinations we can get exposed to them. So, in a way, we're always a guinea pig in modern societies.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 10297
December 16th, 2020 at 3:58:24 PM permalink
Who are these experts? Just because somebody has a high IQ, over-achieved at some left-leaning university, has a bunch of letters after their name, and has the respect of their peers, are we supposed to think they know more about the subject they've spent their life studying than the rest of us?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 109
  • Posts: 7729
December 16th, 2020 at 4:05:56 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Who are these experts? Just because somebody has a high IQ, over-achieved at some left-leaning university, has a bunch of letters after their name, and has the respect of their peers, are we supposed to think they know more about the subject they've spent their life studying than the rest of us?



Recognizing your sarcastic tone... of course they know more.... but unless I know the bias and motive.... there are some really smart people with lots of letters that I certainly donít trust.

Anyway... I want the vaccine!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 224
  • Posts: 12332
December 16th, 2020 at 4:30:59 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

in addition to millions refusing to wear masks appropriately -

reports indicate somewhere around 25% in the U.S. will refuse the vaccine or at least are not sure they will take it

Good Luck America - we're really going to need it - not enough advantage players taking on Covid



*



You want to take something that rushed thru for a virus with a 99.5% survival rate have at it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

  • Jump to: