Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 108
  • Posts: 6675
May 23rd, 2020 at 5:54:26 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Quit being logical and reasonable! ;-)



Believe it or not, it sometimes gets me in trouble.
michael99000
michael99000
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2082
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:03:31 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

We should LISTEN to the experts. They can help us understand what the repercussions of different 'open up' decisions will be. But it is up to our elected officials to figure out what the correct thing to do with the information is.

I'll make up a scenario, and let you guys answer what to do?

A. Full open up today. 10,000 more deaths nationwide.

B. Measured approach to open up, like the few weeks at a time plan. Takes a few more months. 9,000 more deaths nationwide.

C. Never open up. 8,000 more deaths nationwide.


I pick A. If you pick B, then change 9,000 to 9,900. Do you still pick B? I pray no one picked C.



The problem with your options is the reality will be a much much bigger disparity in the numbers.

A hair salon opened in NC. The stylist experiencing symptoms ignored it, helped 91 customers , and then tested positive.

That’s 91 people within a foot of an infected person for probably 30 minutes each. That’s 91 people who then went home to their parents, spouses, children , roommates , etc after their haircut. Thats 91 people who may have essential jobs and went to work and put their coworkers at risk. And all this happens before they know they were exposed and before they felt symptoms.

So we are talking ONE person who was given permission to open early, and exposed a conservative estimate of 300-400 people to the virus.

Now how many other stories will happen exactly like this across the country. How many waiters and batenders and casino dealers and manicurists will make that same mistake ? How many additional people exposed ?

Now try to tell me the difference between opening now or waiting is 9000 dead vs 10,000 dead.
rsactuary
rsactuary
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 1582
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:27:32 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

ETA: of course read the article and draw your own conclusion about what he meant. It’s always more nuanced than the click bait title.



maybe you should take your own advice.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 226
  • Posts: 6382
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:47:53 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

We should LISTEN to the experts. They can help us understand what the repercussions of different 'open up' decisions will be. But it is up to our elected officials to figure out what the correct thing to do with the information is.

I'll make up a scenario, and let you guys answer what to do?

A. Full open up today. 10,000 more deaths nationwide.

B. Measured approach to open up, like the few weeks at a time plan. Takes a few more months. 9,000 more deaths nationwide.

C. Never open up. 8,000 more deaths nationwide.


I pick A. If you pick B, then change 9,000 to 9,900. Do you still pick B? I pray no one picked C.



Just one question:

If it was a fact that picking A, you would be one of those 10,000 dead

B you had a fifty fifty chance of being one of the 9,000 dead.

And C you were guaranteed not to be one of the 8,000 dead.

Which would you pick
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
Joined: May 10, 2010
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 3455
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:52:51 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

Fauci said irreparable damage to what? If you're trying to suggest he said irreparable damage to the economy or even people's livelihoods, I call BS. He's not an expert in those areas and he knows that and I don't believe he would have said that.

Stay-at-home orders intended to curb the spread of the coronavirus could end up causing “irreparable damage” if imposed for too long, White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNBC.
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 1623
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:56:51 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

maybe you should take your own advice.

I did. I read it and that’s why I posted what the edit. A thank you for Googling it for you would be appreciated. But everyone is in their fight or flight political mode. lol

ETA: but it’s the internet so “call BS,” be wrong and then just pretend it didn’t happen. Decide to jump on the next thing that seems to disagree with you.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 1623
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:57:52 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Stay-at-home orders intended to curb the spread of the coronavirus could end up causing “irreparable damage” if imposed for too long, White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNBC.



That’s the sound bite. But Fauci was clear in the article that we need to be very cautious about when and how we open.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 163
  • Posts: 9500
May 23rd, 2020 at 8:12:50 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

That’s the sound bite. But Fauci was clear in the article that we need to be very cautious about when and how we open.



The sound bite reported by Fox News was certainly misleading.

Below is a video of the full interview starting at the relevant part.

https://youtu.be/0S-zBs_WaKI?t=598
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
rsactuary
rsactuary
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 1582
May 23rd, 2020 at 8:25:47 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

That’s the sound bite.



That's all Sancho Panza reads.
rsactuary
rsactuary
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 1582
May 23rd, 2020 at 8:26:29 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Stay-at-home orders intended to curb the spread of the coronavirus could end up causing “irreparable damage” if imposed for too long, White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNBC.



Also, water is wet.

  • Jump to: