JaxxKami
JaxxKami
Joined: Mar 16, 2018
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 5
March 16th, 2018 at 6:48:54 AM permalink
So, I've noticed a side-bet I haven't seen before in the Aspers Casino situated in Stratford, London.

It's £5 minimum, £50 maximum *per player*.

The side-bet is based only on the player's two cards, and pays as follows:

Straight - 1 to 1
Pair - 3 to 1
Straight Flush - 4 to 1
A-K Suited - 9 to 1

The player then has 2 choices:

1. Take all the winnings from the side bet, and keep them immediately.
2. Gamble some or all of the winnings, by putting it on top of your bet, and playing the hand.

If the dealer shows a picture or an Ace, this side bet is placed in a separate position in front of your main bet. If the dealer gets Blackjack, this side bet neither wins nor loses, and instead becomes a push/stand.

Obviously, some scenarios are easy to figure out. If you get ANY blackjack where House Money also wins, you gamble it on top. It can't lose, and you'll get paid 3 to 2 on the amount you've already won. Gambling your pair of 3s against a dealer Ace is also obviously a bad decision, so you'd choose to take the money...

I've tried myself, and I've looked everywhere, but I can't see a strategy for optimum play of this side bet. The house edge is listed at about 2.5%, but is this an average, or for optimum play?

If anybody has any information, or would like to create a little side-project to get this information out there, that would be fantastic!
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14232
March 16th, 2018 at 7:26:06 AM permalink
Quote: JaxxKami

So, I've noticed a side-bet I haven't seen before in the Aspers Casino situated in Stratford, London.

It's £5 minimum, £50 maximum *per player*.

The side-bet is based only on the player's two cards, and pays as follows:

Straight - 1 to 1
Pair - 3 to 1
Straight Flush - 4 to 1
A-K Suited - 9 to 1

The player then has 2 choices:

1. Take all the winnings from the side bet, and keep them immediately.
2. Gamble some or all of the winnings, by putting it on top of your bet, and playing the hand.

If the dealer shows a picture or an Ace, this side bet is placed in a separate position in front of your main bet. If the dealer gets Blackjack, this side bet neither wins nor loses, and instead becomes a push/stand.

Obviously, some scenarios are easy to figure out. If you get ANY blackjack where House Money also wins, you gamble it on top. It can't lose, and you'll get paid 3 to 2 on the amount you've already won. Gambling your pair of 3s against a dealer Ace is also obviously a bad decision, so you'd choose to take the money...

I've tried myself, and I've looked everywhere, but I can't see a strategy for optimum play of this side bet. The house edge is listed at about 2.5%, but is this an average, or for optimum play?

If anybody has any information, or would like to create a little side-project to get this information out there, that would be fantastic!



I played this in London in 2014, and i agree, it's a fun bet, especially that you can pile winnings onto your main bet.

I could've sworn Wizard had listed the game and the side-bet on his site, but it's not there. Perhaps the link is broken : I'll ask.

In the mean time, any HE given (on any game) would be calculated with Optimal Play, so a strategy exists. It's usually a requirement that a game has provable numbers before a gaming jurisdiction will approve its play, and I'm sure that's true for London / UK casinos, because my game had to provide them.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 5494
March 16th, 2018 at 7:29:20 AM permalink
Hi JaxxKami, and welcome to the forums. One thing I'll say is that we have a really collective community with a lot of experts in many fields whom aren't afraid to share their knowledge. That being said (and I hope you don't take this personally) usually people aren't afraid to spend their time/energy/effort answering questions or "creating side-projects" so long as you've done your homework/research and taken the subject as far as you can with the knowledge you have. This is something that is VERY EASY to just google:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=house+money+blackjack+side+bet

You'll notice the 2nd link is our very own Wizard of Odds =).
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14232
March 16th, 2018 at 7:39:50 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

Hi JaxxKami, and welcome to the forums. One thing I'll say is that we have a really collective community with a lot of experts in many fields whom aren't afraid to share their knowledge. That being said (and I hope you don't take this personally) usually people aren't afraid to spend their time/energy/effort answering questions or "creating side-projects" so long as you've done your homework/research and taken the subject as far as you can with the knowledge you have. This is something that is VERY EASY to just google:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=house+money+blackjack+side+bet

You'll notice the 2nd link is our very own Wizard of Odds =).



Thanks, Romes, but sadly, though the side-bet table is there with maybe 30 games, House Money and/or a side bet structured like the player said is not among them.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
michael99000
michael99000
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2112
March 16th, 2018 at 8:05:49 AM permalink
So if I have 50 on the side bet and I get A-K siuited, I win 450 and I can then put that entire 500 (50+450) on top of my original blackjack bet and get paid 3-2 on the full amount ?
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 5494
March 16th, 2018 at 8:19:06 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Thanks, Romes, but sadly, though the side-bet table is there with maybe 30 games, House Money and/or a side bet structured like the player said is not among them.

Couple links down on the google search:

https://discountgambling.net/2012/08/28/house-money-bj-sidebet/

Has a strategy chart as well as how to count for the side bet.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
JaxxKami
JaxxKami
Joined: Mar 16, 2018
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 5
March 16th, 2018 at 8:24:53 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

Hi JaxxKami, and welcome to the forums. One thing I'll say is that we have a really collective community with a lot of experts in many fields whom aren't afraid to share their knowledge. That being said (and I hope you don't take this personally) usually people aren't afraid to spend their time/energy/effort answering questions or "creating side-projects" so long as you've done your homework/research and taken the subject as far as you can with the knowledge you have. This is something that is VERY EASY to just google:

LINK REDACTED DUE TO FORUM RULES

You'll notice the 2nd link is our very own Wizard of Odds =).



Thanks Romes, but I'm incredibly familiar with the act of googling for information, using tried numerous permutations of phrases and words, and the best I could find was somebody claiming he has the optimum strategy, but having to pay for him to email it to you.

(I also know enough about the internet to avoid doing such a thing!)

Thank you for the link you've provided teaching me how to use Google though; very informative. It appears to have found the exact same pages as me, and having used my ability to click and read... I find that the side bet I've described as not in the list!

I'm not unfamiliar with working out house edges, probability and the like, but this one is giving me a headache... I could have sworn I saw more information on it previously, but I just can't seem to find anything now.
JaxxKami
JaxxKami
Joined: Mar 16, 2018
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 5
March 16th, 2018 at 8:29:07 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

Couple links down on the google search:

LINK REDACTED

Has a strategy chart as well as how to count for the side bet.



That's perfect! I can't believe I missed it, Thank you!

And Michael, yes. If you have the bet of 50 win 9 to 1, you can put the 450 PLUS your original stake onto your bet, then get paid 3 to 2 on it, for another 750.

Doesn't happen often though, but it's lovely when it does.

The casino also gives you a bottle of tequila if you get AK or AQ spades... which is just another little perk of the table. :)
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 5494
March 16th, 2018 at 8:32:22 AM permalink
Quote: JaxxKami

Thanks Romes, but I'm incredibly familiar with the act of googling for information...

Quote: JaxxKami

That's perfect! I can't believe I missed it, Thank you! ...

lol you know I gotta razz a little now =)... I'm glad you found the info you're looking for.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14232
March 16th, 2018 at 9:15:02 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

Couple links down on the google search:

https://discountgambling.net/2012/08/28/house-money-bj-sidebet/

Has a strategy chart as well as how to count for the side bet.



Jaxx,

Discount gambling is Stephen How's site, and he's a very reputable mathematician. You should be able to use the strategy he lists, as long as his pay table matches the one you're playing. (The paytable dictates the optimal strategy on all games)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

  • Jump to: