1 vote (7.69%)

13 members have voted

LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 48
September 6th, 2017 at 5:10:27 PM permalink
So the headline reads:

Super Bowl Champion Reveals How Cop Threatened to Blow His ‘F***ing’ Head Off

Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett was walking back to his hotel room after watching the Mayweather-McGregor boxing match. Then, gun shots sent people in the area running away from the apparent shooting–Bennett included. Las Vegas police officers pointed their guns at him and ordered him to get on the ground. As he lay on the ground, complying with commands to not move, the officer placed his gun near Bennett's head and said if he moved the officer would “blow your f**king head off.”

Remarkably, it just gets worse from there. A second officer came over and forcefully jammed his knee into Bennett's back making it difficult to breathe. [Shucks, why didn't he just say, "I can't breathe," because that always works, right?] They then clinched the handcuffs on his wrists so tight that his fingers went numb.” They stashed him away in the back of a nearby police car until realizing they had just arrested an NFL player.

The two-time Pro Bowl superstar recounts more of his exciting visit to Las Vegas in an open letter posted to his Twitter followers. The story (above) has a link to that letter.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff 
  • Threads: 261
Thanks for this post from:
monet0412
September 6th, 2017 at 6:26:09 PM permalink
Walking While Black, Running While Black, oops a running back... oh well, tomorrow's headline will be about some darn tropical storm so whats the big deal?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
September 6th, 2017 at 7:42:01 PM permalink
He should "lawyer up" and sue the hell out of those racially profiling fascists.
"What, me worry?"
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 6th, 2017 at 8:23:09 PM permalink
I'm not saying it was right for that to happen, because it's not.....but why does race always get brought up in this stuff? It's stupid. The letter MB wrote (I'm assuming it was him) mentions Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. :shake my head emoji:
# Свободный Натан
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 48
September 6th, 2017 at 8:27:44 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Walking While Black, Running While Black, oops a running back... oh well, tomorrow's headline will be about some darn tropical storm so whats the big deal?

Agreed. Tomorrow's headline will feature the storm. But, this could still be a big deal.

• Has rough treatment by Vegas police caused more than incidental injury? Bennett has a job to do, and this is not a great time to go on sick leave.
  • If Bennett quickly followed officers' instructions, they should have recognized that immediately and backed off on the bullying. Yes, I know, law enforcement officers are trained always to establish themselves as the "Big Dog" in any confrontation, but the degree to which they assert control should be balanced with the subject's apparent willingness to cooperate. Seems this may not have happened here.
  • The officer's apparent willingness to shoot an unarmed man lying on the ground cannot be seen by a minority or a person of color as some idle threat. If Bennett had been killed, who knows whether a pistol might suddenly appear in Bennett's dead hand, with the officer shouting, "He went for a gun!!!!!" And, unless some other passerby was filming what happened, that would probably be the unfortunate end to the story.
  • At some point, the Vegas police apparently realized who they had taken into custody, and let him go. Bennett has the resources to seek appropriate "adjustment" from the police for their actions in this individual incident. The way the police immediately acted with unnecessary force may occur often to "folks like him" in Vegas. Except that those folks don't have the resources to allow them appropriate access to judicial redress. For this reason, it is important that Bennett enforce his constitutional rights. Every time police behave this way, they need to understand the suspect may be an innocent Michael Bennett, or someone with similar resources or notability.
  • Bennett called attention to the fact that he had rights, something apparently ignored by the police. Because our society generally assumes officers sworn to uphold the law generally tell the truth, it is very important that any citizen treated in a manner such as Bennett reports go to the mat with the police (in the proper judicial forum) so all can review whether the officers are to praise or to blame. Society gives officers a loooong leash, but that leash is supposed to come with appropriate limits, well-known to all.

As I see it, that's the "big deal." Thanx for asking.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 11
September 6th, 2017 at 9:01:16 PM permalink
So many things make the police look very bad:
-They take down and handcuff a celebrity on camera 11 days ago and no one else in LVMPD knows about it until today. Only way that happens is if someone was trying to cover something up.
-The officer who took him down turned off his body camera.
-They claim he was acting suspicious by running away from an area with a suspected gunshots alongside hundreds of other people who were also running away
-No one has denied any of Michael Bennett's claims

The police may not have done anything wrong when they handcuffed him, but everything else around this situation is very clearly wrong.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 11
onenickelmiracle
September 6th, 2017 at 9:09:12 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I'm not saying it was right for that to happen, because it's not.....but why does race always get brought up in this stuff? It's stupid. The letter MB wrote (I'm assuming it was him) mentions Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. :shake my head emoji:

Michael Bennett was put in a similar position as Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. He was taken down and threatened with deadly force. USDOJ had to step in and change LVMPD use of force practices a few years ago because it was so bad. To their credit, things have changed significantly. For whatever reason, these cops didn't want to follow any of that. When police choose not to do what's right, they do target minorities disproportionately.
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
RogerKint
September 6th, 2017 at 9:18:19 PM permalink
I'm not on the side of the police. I stay away from them and they don't bother me. I don't get into politics too much. I was on a Greyhound Bus a year or so ago and seen the Police throw off a black man and a white woman who were not together. They both got on the Bus late at night and it was pretty cold outside but it was against the drivers rules so he called the police and had them dealt with. The black guy just left the bus and had that seen this before look on his face and caused no trouble. The white lady refused to leave the bus and had a meltdown. The policeman who threw her off was older and big. He ended up beating her slightly and kneed her in the back while some younger white female cop who was scrawny handcuffed her. I wanted to rise up but I stayed quiet as a church mouse like the rest of the passengers.

So after the commotion the driver got back on and made some smart ----- remark and the whole bus got up laughing and cheering while I was in shock and upset with myself for not doing anything. I felt that all of us should of stood up for these two and just let them on the bus. No reason for the cops to even get involved. I was pretty sick that all the fellow passengers were on the side of the driver and the police.

When I got home a few months later from my nervous break down or mid life crisis or whatever it was (Personally I think it was some side effect from not eating Special Brownies and Banana Bread constantly for a few years anymore) ... I bought more guns and ammo.

What is my point of all this rant or story? I guess it is that I wouldn't of heard about this police problem if I hadn't read it on this forum so I do not think it will hurt Vegas one bit and I don't think anyone cares. I am guessing that most people would get up and cheer for the police just like on that bus. We as a people gave the Police and Government all the control they have now and they are just going to keep getting stronger.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 158
September 6th, 2017 at 11:09:19 PM permalink
Quote: monet0412

So after the commotion the driver got back on and made some smart ----- remark and the whole bus got up laughing and cheering while I was in shock and upset with myself for not doing anything.

Of course, if you have a recording device like a phone, all you really need to do is record it, Sure you could get into a confrontation with police, but it is probably the best choice for all concerned if you have the opportunity than any other choice.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 6th, 2017 at 11:41:56 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

Michael Bennett was put in a similar position as Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. He was taken down and threatened with deadly force. USDOJ had to step in and change LVMPD use of force practices a few years ago because it was so bad. To their credit, things have changed significantly. For whatever reason, these cops didn't want to follow any of that. When police choose not to do what's right, they do target minorities disproportionately.

From what I've read so far about "the Michael Bennett" case is it's basically the exact opposite of what happened with Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. Sounds like Bennett was minding his own business and running away from the Cromwell as were many other people. Don't think he tried shooting/attacking anyone (ie: Brown) or beating the livin' sh** out of someone (ie: Martin).

Tough to tell what happened or what they saw based on the body cam video (below, start at 5m 0s), but it looks like Bennett may have been running and jumped over the railing (you can't actually see Bennett in the video until after he's taken down....at least I didn't). Mind you, no one else around there is running away (like you can see earlier in the video inside Cromwell). What would you do if there are 20 people standing around and 1 person running through them then over a railing? Surely it's not illegal to run (I don't think?), but it seems mighty suspicious.
# Свободный Натан

• Jump to: