bdschin
bdschin
  • Threads: 2
April 28th, 2011 at 1:10:12 PM permalink
If a slot machine offers different numbers of lines to play such as 5, 9, 15, and 20, is the house edge the same for each or is one better than the other?
gofaster87
gofaster87
  • Threads: 3
April 28th, 2011 at 2:11:40 PM permalink
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 28th, 2011 at 6:53:15 PM permalink
Quote: bdschin

If a slot machine offers different numbers of lines to play such as 5, 9, 15, and 20, is the house edge the same for each or is one better than the other?

My guess is the house edge is lower the more lines you add. Slot manufacturers like to say you get the best player advantage if you play the full number of coins, line, or whatever. Most machines are designed so that you get a modest improvement the more lines or coins that you add, but it also means they are not lying when they say you are better off.

At the same time, they may change the rate of payout so that you feel like there is a big improvement. That is an old trick built into most modern machines designs.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
April 28th, 2011 at 7:08:51 PM permalink
Quote: bdschin

Typically it will be the same. Some games have added features which are only triggered on max-coin wagers, in which case the max-coin bet would have a better RTP than lower bets, but for basically all video multiline/multicoin slots each payline has the same payback. Older 3-reel mechanical games with 5 lines would often use a slightly increased top award pay on each line to encourage players to bet up. For example:
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
  • Jump to: