TomG
TomG
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 2348
October 10th, 2021 at 9:37:37 AM permalink
Do casino games offer anything of value to the community (or society)?

Not talking about the drinks, hotel, restaurants, or anything like that; nor the taxes they pay or the jobs they offer. Only asking about the keno games, buffalo slot machines, blackjack and roulette tables, and things like that. Do casino games provide benefits to the players? Do they exploit them? Something else?

This is not meant to be a loaded question, as my opinion on this is not very well formed.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 132
  • Posts: 14750
October 10th, 2021 at 10:00:04 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

Do casino games offer anything of value to the community (or society)?

Not talking about the drinks, hotel, restaurants, or anything like that; nor the taxes they pay or the jobs they offer. Only asking about the keno games, buffalo slot machines, blackjack and roulette tables, and things like that. Do casino games provide benefits to the players? Do they exploit them? Something else?

This is not meant to be a loaded question, as my opinion on this is not very well formed.
link to original post



They provide a means of recreation. The only difference between that and any other is that the (actual) cost of said entertainment is not strictly quantifiable ahead of time. I could probably think of a few examples if I really tried that are more similar to casino games, but certainly most forms of entertainment are such that you can calculate your exact outlay in advance.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Wellbush
Wellbush
Joined: Mar 23, 2021
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 824
October 10th, 2021 at 10:11:26 AM permalink
My answer would be similar to 146. I think it's entertainment.

There's definitely a downside to the gaming - addiction and debt. Don't know if you were wanting a response about the downside? I don't know much about it, but I do know that it has a serious detrimental effect on those members of the community it infects.
All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 132
  • Posts: 14750
October 10th, 2021 at 10:22:11 AM permalink
Quote: Wellbush

My answer would be similar to 146. I think it's entertainment.

There's definitely a downside to the gaming - addiction and debt. Don't know if you were wanting a response about the downside? I don't know much about it, but I do know that it has a serious detrimental effect on those members of the community it infects.
link to original post



Another thing is that you could, at least in theory, calculate your exact outlay in advance...not that it would be how most people gamble. Simply, one could go into the casino with a finite amount of money and play until losing every single penny they brought with them, regardless of how far ahead they might get.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
Joined: Oct 26, 2011
  • Threads: 70
  • Posts: 818
October 10th, 2021 at 2:57:48 PM permalink
I appreciate the art aspects of casino games. Not just look and feel, but mathematical intricacies. Many games, table or slot, have appealing aesthetics, and are thus entertaining to me. That I can occasionally win money from them adds to the appeal.
Wellbush
Wellbush
Joined: Mar 23, 2021
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 824
October 11th, 2021 at 1:40:35 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Quote: Wellbush

My answer would be similar to 146. I think it's entertainment.

There's definitely a downside to the gaming - addiction and debt. Don't know if you were wanting a response about the downside? I don't know much about it, but I do know that it has a serious detrimental effect on those members of the community it infects.
link to original post



Another thing is that you could, at least in theory, calculate your exact outlay in advance...not that it would be how most people gamble. Simply, one could go into the casino with a finite amount of money and play until losing every single penny they brought with them, regardless of how far ahead they might get.
link to original post

well, that's what I previously did. Maybe I'd go to the casino once every 5 years! Have $150 to spend, say, and that would be it. I'm not into addiction one iota.

My recent forays are similar. Just trialling progressive systems and leaving if I lose🤷. This will only happen if I have the cash, and whilst I'm prepared to trial systems. There'll come a point though, where I either start winning, or I think I've given the strategy's enough trials. If I don't eventually win, goodbye casinos.
All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
Joined: Feb 3, 2015
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 226
October 11th, 2021 at 5:54:02 PM permalink
I believe that gambling is a net negative to society. I think it was ok when you would go on vacation to Vegas or AC and gamble but then you would go home. I think casinos all over the place as part of our daily lives is not good. They say itís entertainment but itís not for most people. Itís an addiction. Itís also not like a game on your phone is an addiction. That just wastes your time. The amount of money lost at gambling is staggering. You could go to dinner and movie and be entertained for less than $100. But you canít last long on $100 at the casino so you are often risking hundreds or thousands at a time. Food and music and movies bring value to our lives. Casino games mostly do not. With the expansion of online gaming it will only get worse. Now you donít even get the experience of going to a casino, you can just lose straight from your phone.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 187
  • Posts: 3965
October 12th, 2021 at 7:38:09 AM permalink
Quote: Sandybestdog

I believe that gambling is a net negative to society. I think it was ok when you would go on vacation to Vegas or AC and gamble but then you would go home. I think casinos all over the place as part of our daily lives is not good. They say itís entertainment but itís not for most people. Itís an addiction. Itís also not like a game on your phone is an addiction. That just wastes your time. The amount of money lost at gambling is staggering. You could go to dinner and movie and be entertained for less than $100. But you canít last long on $100 at the casino so you are often risking hundreds or thousands at a time. Food and music and movies bring value to our lives. Casino games mostly do not. With the expansion of online gaming it will only get worse. Now you donít even get the experience of going to a casino, you can just lose straight from your phone.
link to original post




I basically agree with you at least to say - not that there should be no gambling allowed - but that the tremendous expansion and availability of it is likely to be harmful to many - how many or what % I can't say

our society - our politicians have learned - that you have to give the public what it wants

they found that out when they tried prohibition, and now marijuana is slowly becoming legalized

no politician wants to take a stand against an activity that so many people want to participate in

they cannot tell adults not to do what they want to do - as long as there are large numbers of them who want to do it

the same kind of thing is true with the very fast cars Camaro and Mustang that appeal to so many young males

many drive way too fast but a small % of them will crash and cause a serious accident - no doubt a much higher % than in conservative vehicles

nobody wants to deny the public the opportunity to buy cars like that - the risks are acceptable to the general public

and the risks caused by gambling are also acceptable to the general public - by most but not all

before there's any greater restriction of it there has to be public will - and right now there's not

Hawaii is (as far as I know) the only state that allows no gambling at all

even though I gamble - still - somewhat strangely I admit - I admire them for that


.
"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 2140
October 12th, 2021 at 7:45:57 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster


Hawaii is (as far as I know) the only state that allows no gambling at all
link to original post



Did Utah relax?

I believe Alaska allows pull-tabs, but little else. If you've never played pull-tabs, well, scratchers are an exciting upgrade.
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 187
  • Posts: 3965
October 12th, 2021 at 9:00:56 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: lilredrooster


Hawaii is (as far as I know) the only state that allows no gambling at all
link to original post



Did Utah relax?

link to original post




no - I was wrong - it's not just Hawaii - Utah also allows no form of gambling

they have had a problem with illegal gambling operations as has Hawaii as shown in the links




https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/new-bill-introduced-to-address-illegal-gambling-in-utah

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/05/20/hawaii-news/honolulu-police-crack-down-on-illegal-gambling-houses/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CGambling%20is%20illegal%20in%20Hawaii,at%20risk%20of%20being%20injured.

.
"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe

  • Jump to: