Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
October 16th, 2011 at 8:11:53 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I get to call you on an English word.

CapitOl: a building group where a legislative body meets.

CapitAl: a city serving as a seat of government.

Ouch! Taken to task in two languages in one post. Actually, thank you, I did not know that distinction between capitol and capital. Even I have to scratch my head and wonder who to blame for making things so hard.

"Todo LO que estamos diciendo es DEN una oportunidad A LA paz".

Somehow that line sounded better in English. As always, thanks. I knew I was going to blow it on that one, but wanted to try anyway.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 16th, 2011 at 8:12:46 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Today's estado is my favorite in all of Mexico. A relaxing, scenic, clean place I enjoy very much, especially San Jose del Cabo. Cabo San Lucas I find to be very touristy and overrated. I'd love to go back, but my wife would only come kicking and screaming.

San Jose is a charming place, and it was a real town before the tourist influx. Cabo San Lucas was a small company town that supported a cannery. It is now Los Angeles deep south.

La Paz is more of a tourist town for Mexican nationals, with hotel rooms that start at next to nothing. Not really a beach town, it's more of a kicked back Mexican town where you stroll along the Malecon, and eat lots of seafood and drink beer. Kind of the place you show up on a motorcycle, and stay for 3-10 days.

But it's also a good place for yachts to pull in to the well protected bay.

It's not the best beach town, the beaches are crowded with little shops, and places to eat, it does have one protected signature bay with a beautiful view. No one is allowed to set up a stand to sell tacos, boogie boards or kayaks.

Stay in the Hotel Perla (the original hotel in La Paz, roughly 70 years old). The hotel is old and run down, but right in the center. La Paz is not about luxury, but about hanging out near the restaurants and clubs and having a very economical time.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 16th, 2011 at 8:27:55 PM permalink

CapitOl: a building group where a legislative body meets.
CapitAl: a city serving as a seat of government.

Capitol- Latin: Capitolium, temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus on the Capitoline Hill in ancient Rome.
Capital- Latin: capitalis "of the head".also Late Latin: capitale "stock, property," neut. of capitalis.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 16th, 2011 at 8:33:47 PM permalink

Ouch! Taken to task in two languages in one post. Actually, thank you, I did not know that distinction between capitol and capital. Even I have to scratch my head and wonder who to blame for making things so hard.

I've brought it up at least once before. it's a common error, which for some reason annoys me no end.

I think you'll need to blame the Romans. Capital, according to Merriam-Webster, comes from capitalis, mening "chief." While capitol comes from "capitolium," which was the name given to temples to the most important Roman gods, namely to Jupiter. I strongly suspect both words are related to the Latin word for head, which is either "caput" or "capita."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 16th, 2011 at 8:43:37 PM permalink
Thanks for all the comments.

It is a common adventure to drive from San Diego to San San Lucas. That is definitely on my bucket list. My parents did it, and had their car broken into in La Paz, and they stole my father's kayak, among other things. Nevertheless, I've heard nice things about La Paz -- a nice place to visit if you want to get away from the other Gringos.

Personally, I strive for a balance between luxury and authenticity. San Jose del Cabo I think strikes that balance very nicely. Just give it time, however, and it will become "discovered" and thus ruined.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
October 16th, 2011 at 8:52:35 PM permalink

Just give it time, however, and it will become "discovered" and thus ruined.

According to Wiki, it already has been.

"Together with neighboring Cabo San Lucas it (San Jose del Cabo) forms a major tourist destination for travelers, particularly from the United States."
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 16th, 2011 at 9:08:32 PM permalink

It is a common adventure to drive from San Diego to San San Lucas. That is definitely on my bucket list. My parents did it, and had their car broken into in La Paz, and they stole my father's kayak, among other things. Nevertheless, I've heard nice things about La Paz -- a nice place to visit if you want to get away from the other Gringos.

Personally, I strive for a balance between luxury and authenticity. San Jose del Cabo I think strikes that balance very nicely. Just give it time, however, and it will become "discovered" and thus ruined.

The best thing to do is to leave San Diego at about 2-3 AM when it is still dark. That way you cross the border and drive to Ensenada in the dark (decent highways). You should pass Ensenada at daylight which will give you maximum daylight hours for the trip. That way you will reach Loreto by nightfall (or at least Santa Rosalia). Do not try to drive at night.

La Paz will probably not be discovered since it was the place to stay in the 50's and the 60's (before the road was built). That's why there are so many old hotels there. It has been supplanted by Los Cabos (both towns) and the East Cape. The airport has limited air access, and the beaches are tiny and rough. The town is also a good size which drives away some of the tourists who like exclusivity.

The American tourists are more of the fishermen, or the types hiding out from society. Not bad people, but not artificial tanned LA crowd. But seriously there are a lot of Mexican tourists (and a mix of Europeans).

I didn't see a lot of kayaks, but there are a lot of these flat bottom boats that people take to nearby islands.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 17th, 2011 at 4:56:17 PM permalink

Fecha: 15 de Octobre, 2011

Talk about not paying attention. Who knows how long this has been going on.

The name of the month is OctUbre.

It's derived from the latin word for the number 8, the root "octo" is very common in many languages, including English.

So why 8 when it's the tenth month? Well, the Romans started their year in March and ended it in Ferburary. Count that way and the 7th, 8th, 8th and 10th months are September, October, November and December. Their names are derived from the latin names of the numbers 7, 8, 9 and 10. In Spanish siete, ocho, nueve y diez.

If you ask me, it makes more sense for the year to begin in the Spring and end in the Winter. I've no idea when or why it was changed. Perhaps in the Gregorian reform of the calendar, though then the question is why some months retained their names of pagan deities (January = Janus) or Roman emperors.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 17th, 2011 at 11:11:03 PM permalink
Fecha: 18 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Campeche
Palabra: culebra

Today's estado is Campeche, which is believed to be a Mayan word meaning snakes and ticks. So, for lack of a better idea, today's word of the day is culebra = snake. Not to be confused with serpiente. A question for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast the two words for snake.

Also, is Campeche still infested with snakes and ticks? Finally, is it just me or would anyone else have a terrible time pronouncing the names of these major cities and ruin sites in Campeche: Dzitbalché, Hecelchakán, Dzibilnocac, Edzná, Hocchob, Holactún, Uxul, Xicalango, Xpuhil, and Xtampak. Talk about a lot of Scrabble points.

Ejemplo time.

Mi serpiente tiene hambre, entonces que voy a alimentarlo un ratón. = My snake is hungry, so I'm going to feed it a mouse.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 18th, 2011 at 1:13:24 AM permalink
Campeche was, of course, the center of piracy in Mexico for hundreds of years.

• Jump to: