Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1372
October 16th, 2012 at 9:05:06 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Wasn't yesterday Lunes?

¡Ooops!
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 16th, 2012 at 9:26:20 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

She said that belief in Santa Muerte is basically a popular form of witchcraft in Mexico.

SM is closely associated with the violent armed gangs and is rejected by good Catholic Mexicans.

While on this topic, keep in mind that America is more used to secular comments. You can say that Christmas, Yule logs, Christmas trees, Easter Bunnies, are all pagan rituals adopted into Christianity or that the pope's holy vestments were merely the clothing of the medieval upper class. Most comments like this will not upset people in America. Most preachers in the USA will say that Christmas is the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ to get out of the argument that there is no good reason to think that Jesus was born near the winter solstice. In addition shepherds didn't watch over their sheep in the middle of winter.

But if you tell a Mexican that many historians believe that the Virgin of Guadalupe is a version of the mother-goddess Tonantzin which was adopted by the Spaniards as a way of mass converting the native people to Catholicism, you may find yourself in deep trouble.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 16th, 2012 at 8:32:03 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

SM is closely associated with the violent armed gangs and is rejected by good Catholic Mexicans.

While on this topic, keep in mind that America is more used to secular comments. You can say that Christmas, Yule logs, Christmas trees, Easter Bunnies, are all pagan rituals adopted into Christianity or that the pope's holy vestments were merely the clothing of the medieval upper class. Most comments like this will not upset people in America. Most preachers in the USA will say that Christmas is the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ to get out of the argument that there is no good reason to think that Jesus was born near the winter solstice. In addition shepherds didn't watch over their sheep in the middle of winter.

But if you tell a Mexican that many historians believe that the Virgin of Guadalupe is a version of the mother-goddess Tonantzin which was adopted by the Spaniards as a way of mass converting the native people to Catholicism, you may find yourself in deep trouble.

Christianity has been watered down in both the US and Mexico, but by different things. Mexico has the Virgin Guadalupe and the U.S. has Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. I'm not going to say either religion is closer to the truth. It would be like saying one betting system is better than another.

As long as their followers are striving to improve themselves, and others, that is okay with me.
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
October 16th, 2012 at 8:51:18 PM permalink
Whoa horsey!?! Do I hear you guys saying that Our Lady of Guadalupe is a made up ploy for evangelization or is equivalent to Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny??? That is loco mi amigos. The miracle of the Virgin Guadalupe is something for good reason very special to not only the Mexican people but to every Catholic.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 16th, 2012 at 9:18:04 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

The miracle of the Virgin Guadalupe is something for good reason very special to not only the Mexican people but to every Catholic.

The floor is yours Padre. Please continue. Don't forget -- at least one sentence in Español.

Yo quiero Taco Bell.
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
October 16th, 2012 at 10:39:38 PM permalink
Oh boy, where do I begin, I know... Yo quiero Taco Bell.

No seriously I think Our Lady of Guadalupe is one of the most amazing things in the world. I just have time to give three quick reasons that I would be happy to elaborate later on but I trust Pacomartin would do a great job as well.

1) It is an amazing physical miracle. Specifically the hands and face are painted in a way that no one can explain.
2) It brought together and gave birth to the Mexican people and some say the country.
3) It was providential that the Blessed Virgin Mary would appear in the new world gaining so many converts while at the same time in the 'old world' of Europe so many were leaving the Church during the reformation.

Sorry this post is so weak but I've got to hit the sack. buenas noches.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 21st, 2012 at 12:01:57 PM permalink
Thanks Father. I stand corrected; I guess. Can you give me the Dummy's version of all the virgin manifestations? Is there a list of all the recognized ones by the Vatican?

Mi casa es su casa.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
October 21st, 2012 at 1:31:52 PM permalink
Yo quiero taco bell?
Vaya con Dios!
Adios.
;)
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
October 21st, 2012 at 2:30:32 PM permalink
Following the Spanish Conquest in 151921,
a temple of the mother-goddess Tonantzin at Tepeyac outside Mexico City,
was destroyed and a chapel dedicated to the Virgin built on the site.
Newly converted Indians continued to come from afar to worship there.
The object of their worship, however, was equivocal,
as they continued to address the Virgin Mary as Tonantzin.

Source wikipedia
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.

• Jump to: