Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 3rd, 2012 at 9:20:45 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Tough! I admit I don't know much about Mexican politics but since when is employment guaranteed for life in a capitalist economy?

These days any group that's large enough, loud enough, violent enough and in favor enough with some part of the government, can get anything it wants.

Quote:

Are we supposed to hold up progress because somebody might be out of job?

Ideally, no. But then you're not supposed to restrict trade because somebody might be out of a job. But that's been US immigration policy for decades.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 3rd, 2012 at 9:45:29 PM permalink

Where does this TJ rail system stand now? I find getting around Tijuana very confusing, and pretty much learned to park on the US side and rely on taxis.

Tough! I admit I don't know much about Mexican politics but since when is employment guaranteed for life in a capitalist economy? I have a feeling if talks ever got close to extending the LV monorail to the airport there would be a lot of hand wringing about the taxi drivers that would lose jobs. Find other job, for crying out loud! Are we supposed to hold up progress because somebody might be out of job?

There was a lot of discussion about TJ's tram or light rail about 3-5 years ago, and it was supposed to be finished by now.

It's hard to know what happened.

Transportation and warehousing (4.3 million jobs in USA) seems to attract a lot of attention when it creates or loses jobs. Maybe because it is such a basic human need, we are always unhappy with the pace of transport. The jobs in the field are constantly changing.

I don't think it has anything unique to USA or Mexico. A few year's ago the mayor of Calcutta wants to end the practice of rickshaws in the city, ending what many people consider one of the most barbarous and inhumane trades left in the world. Needless to say many of the 18,000 drivers protest, as many have been doing it for decades.

4,259 Transportation and warehousing
1,321 Truck transportation
462 Air transportation
230 Rail transportation
63 Water transportation
377 Transit and ground passenger transportation
43 Pipeline transportation
38 Scenic and sightseeing transportation
565 Support activities for transportation
514 Couriers and messengers
646 Warehousing and storage
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
August 3rd, 2012 at 11:18:41 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

A few year's ago the mayor of Calcutta wants to end the practice of rickshaws in the city, ending what many people consider one of the most barbarous and inhumane trades left in the world.

Why? It seems like honest and healthy work to me. I would rather do that than boring work sewing all day.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 4th, 2012 at 6:36:10 AM permalink

Why? It seems like honest and healthy work to me. I would rather do that than boring work sewing all day.

Many of the rickshaw drivers defend the work. There is not as much hostility to rickshaws with bicycles attached like you see in tourist areas of America. I have seen the bicycle ones in some places in Mexico where they actually were the main transportation system of the town.

But I was looking at one example of the city attempting to update it's transit system, at the expense of some jobs that are "inefficient" .

Many places are trying to build driver free transportation systems like you commonly see in American airports. London has a huge driver free system called the Docklands Light Rail that extends the underground to the newer developments in the East end and canary wharf.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
August 4th, 2012 at 7:48:02 AM permalink
Pulling the rickshaw on foot seems terribly inefficient to me. Why don't they use bicycles in India? They use the ones with bicycles in Cabo San Lucas to transport cruise ship passengers from the dock to the main part of the town. By the way, the rickshaws on the Seattle waterfront are very expensive. I took one for about an hour and was hit with a $70 charge afterward! I did not tip.

Fecha: 4-8-12
Palabra: Reflexionar

Today's SWD means to think/reflect on something. The much more common word for think is pensar. I think that reflexionar means to think deeper about something, perhaps making an important decision as a result.

Ejemplo time.

Después de reflexionarlo, me decidí a doblar mi cuatro de una clase. = After thinking about it, I decided to fold my four of a kind.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 4th, 2012 at 9:41:14 AM permalink

Pulling the rickshaw on foot seems terribly inefficient to me. Why don't they use bicycles in India? They use the ones with bicycles in Cabo San Lucas to transport cruise ship passengers from the dock to the main part of the town. By the way, the rickshaws on the Seattle waterfront are very expensive. I took one for about an hour and was hit with a $70 charge afterward! I did not tip.

Fecha: 4-8-12
Palabra: Reflexionar

Today's SWD means to think/reflect on something. The much more common word for think is pensar. I think that reflexionar means to think deeper about something, perhaps making an important decision as a result.

Certainly in English "to reflect" means "to think" hard and carefully. But generally in English the Latin word is more elevated than the synonym based on an Anglo Saxon word. But you can't always use the English rule directly on Spanish, where both reflexionar and pensar come from Latin words.

One of the definitions of pensar in the DRAE is reflexionar.

In Spanish you have the similar verbs: pensar, imaginar, considerar, discurrir, reflexionar, & examinar.

The "taxi ecológico" in small town in Mexico look like this:

Sometimes "taxi ecológico" refers to a motorized vehicle with a tiny 2 stroke engine.

CNN video on "taxi ecológico" in Mexico city based on Nissan LEAF.
Nareed
Nareed
August 4th, 2012 at 9:59:51 AM permalink

Pulling the rickshaw on foot seems terribly inefficient to me. Why don't they use bicycles in India? They use the ones with bicycles in Cabo San Lucas to transport cruise ship passengers from the dock to the main part of the town.

Why don't they use engines? Join the Twentieth Century before it's... Oh, never mind.

Quote:

Después de reflexionarlo, me decidí a doblar mi cuatro de una clase. = After thinking about it, I decided to fold my four of a kind.

You decided to make a fold on your four of one class?

There's no good translation for "fold" in that sense, but "4 de una clase" is wrong. In Spanish the term for four of a kind is "póquer." Yes, that's also the name of the game "poker." Life's like that sometimes. So:

"Después de reflexionarlo, decidí retirarme aunque tenía póquer."
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 4th, 2012 at 11:22:33 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

In Spanish the term for four of a kind is "póquer." Yes, that's also the name of the game "poker." Life's like that sometimes.

Wow! That would be really difficult to guess. As would escalara for straight, and full for full house.
Nareed
Nareed
August 4th, 2012 at 11:37:23 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Wow! That would be really difficult to guess. As would escalara for straight, and full for full house.

Would that it were that simple:

Carta más alta
Par
Dos Pares
Tercia
Corrida
Flor ó Color
Full ó Full House
Póquer
Corrida con color
Flor Imperial

I had to learn the English terms, BTW.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 4th, 2012 at 12:30:58 PM permalink

By the way, the rickshaws on the Seattle waterfront are very expensive. I took one for about an hour and was hit with a $70 charge afterward! I did not tip.

My understanding of the more common business model is that they make revenue by advertising. The cyclists usually specialize in short trips for free (but they expect a generous tip). They are just careful who they accept as customers, preferring the kind of people who will tip generously to a young muscular person.

• Jump to: