Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 27th, 2012 at 1:29:41 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Barcelona is a very romantic place.

Seriously? Did you see the unsightly growth in that guy's face?

Look, I had many opportunities to visit Spain in the 80s and 90s when my dad travelled there on business every year. I could have gone with him any time, not paying either airfare, hotel, nor many expenses; the business would have paid for it. I never went. That should give you a hint.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
July 27th, 2012 at 1:47:42 PM permalink
"They say Spain is pretty, though I've never been
In fact, Daniel says it's the best place he's ever seen" -- Daniel by Elton John
(lyrics may not be exact, I'm going from memory)
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 27th, 2012 at 3:50:18 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

"They say Spain is pretty, though I've never been
In fact, Daniel says it's the best place he's ever seen" -- Daniel by Elton John
(lyrics may not be exact, I'm going from memory)

Spain is growing in population at about the same rate as Mexico in the last decade. Both are growing faster than the USA. Spain has a very low fertility rate so all of the growth is based on immigration. It's very unusual for Europe; in contrast Germany has lost people in the last decade.

Spain was very important to the Roman empire, and to the Visigothic empire, and to the Moslem empire, before establishing the most powerful empire in the world which conquered much of the New world. So the country is full of amazing historic sites.

But in Mexico, many of the important historical sites are in the big cities, Downtown Mexico City, Guadalajara, or in smaller cities nearby (Queretero, Puebla, Merida, Oaxaca City, etc).

Spain is dominated by the twin cities of Madrid and Barcelona (containing 10 million of the 47 million people). But the cities are not ancient and historic like Paris, Rome and Athens. Only 2 of the 44 World Heritage sites are in Barcelona, and urban Madrid has no sites. I say 2 because all the Gaudi buildings are counted as one World Heritage site. Madrid is not typical of European capitals because it is really not much older than a new world city. Madrid was not important before 1561, Mexico City was conquered in 1520, and NYC was founded as a trading post in 1624.

So to see the historical sites, you have to leave the major cities (except for Seville and Cordoba). You have to go into the mountains, or the smaller towns that have not been major cities for a long time. There you see the medieval or Roman towns of Toledo, Ronda, Avila, Leon, Ovieda, Segovia and Salamanca.

In that sense it is different than Italy. Much of the historic places in Italy, like Rome, Naples, Siena, Venice and Florence are still major cities, and are easy to get to. Also Italy has beautiful ancient cities on the waterfront. Spain has relatively modern development in most places along the Mediterranean or the Atlantic Ocean with a few old port towns. The beaches are not like the sand beaches we are used to in Caribbean, Florida or Hawaii.

Another mistake that Americans often make is to assume that Spanish food is spicy. Spicy food is relatively exotic for them, as it was imported only recently from Latin America.

Spain is trying to outdo France, the lead proponent of high speed rail in Europe. The goal of Spain is to almost eliminate domestic air travel (except for the islands), by having the most complete HSR system in Europe.

New Bridge in Ronda Spain
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
July 29th, 2012 at 5:18:47 PM permalink
Thanks Paco for the history and travel tips on Spain. They will come in handy one of these days.

Fecha: 07-29-12
Palabra: Fugar

Today's SWD means to escape. A pretty clean word with no synonyms or homonyms. The closest word is probably huir, which means to flee. I'm pretty sure that fugar would be used in situations like escaping from prison.

Ejemplo time.

!Gilligan, has estropeado todo las oportunidades para fugamos de la isla! = Gilligan, you have ruined every chance for us to escape from the island!
Nareed
Nareed
July 29th, 2012 at 5:31:22 PM permalink

Today's SWD means to escape. A pretty clean word with no synonyms or homonyms.

It also means "fugue" both in music and psychology. Not to mention "to leak," but only in some circumstances.

Quote:

The closest word is probably huir, which means to flee. I'm pretty sure that fugar would be used in situations like escaping from prison.

Yes. It would mean escaping from a place where you shouldn't leave, not one where you can't leave. For example:

Quote:

!Gilligan, has estropeado todo las oportunidades para fugamos de la isla! = Gilligan, you have ruined every change for us to escape from the island!

"Change"? Never mind. The verb to use here is "escapar." It's not that the castaways shouldn't leave the island, it's that they can't; they lack the means to do so.

So it should read "...para escapaRNOS de la isla."

Now to use "fugar":

"Le tomó más de 20 años, pero Andy logró fugarse de prisión."

Bonus points for translating it and knowing what movie it refers to.

Double bonus points if you can identify what movie was released with the Spanish title "Fuga en el Siglo XXIII."
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 29th, 2012 at 7:24:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
July 29th, 2012 at 10:06:53 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

"Change"?

Typo. Should have been chance.

Quote:

It's not that the castaways shouldn't leave the island, it's that they can't; they lack the means to do so.

No. They had lots of chances. It is that they ruined all of them, usually by Gilligan. Half the episodes were about some opportunity to get off the island that Gilligan screwed up.

Quote:

Le tomó más de 20 años, pero Andy logró fugarse de prisión."

Shawshank Rememption. 100%.

Quote:

Bonus points for translating it and knowing what movie it refers to.

I already said the move. I think you misquoted the movie a bit. What you wrote was "It took him more than 20 years, but Andy achieved escape from prison." The actual quote was "Andy did it (escaped) in 20."

Quote:

Double bonus points if you can identify what movie was released with the Spanish title "Fuga en el Siglo XXIII."

It looks like Paco got it.
Nareed
Nareed
July 30th, 2012 at 6:40:31 AM permalink

No. They had lots of chances.

Don't quibble. The point is that escaping the island is not the same thing as escaping prison, or custody.

Quote:

I already said the move. I think you misquoted the movie a bit.

It was an example, not a quote from the movie.

Quote:

What you wrote was "It took him more than 20 years, but Andy achieved escape from prison."

Close. "It took him over 20 years, but Andy managed to esacpe from prison." If you want to use "achieve," then go with "...but Andy achieved his escape from prison."

Quote:

It looks like Paco got it.

I don't see a title, just one photo. It's the right movie, though I can't recall that scene, but what was it called?
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 30th, 2012 at 7:00:17 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

The 1976 movie was called Logan's Run in English, with subtext Welcome to the 23rd Century.
There was a short lived TV series of the same name, that was the first starring role for Gregory Harrison, who has been on television for 40 years.

They must have translated it to "Escape in the 23rd Century" in some instances in Spanish.

Nareed
Nareed
July 30th, 2012 at 7:10:05 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The 1976 movie was called Logan's Run in English,

That's the one.

Quote:

There was a short lived TV series of the same name,

I watched it, but I don't recall much of it. They got the formuls wrong: it's TV series that can be turned into movies, not the other way around (of course it worked splendidly with Stargate SG-1...) Besides, they had to overlook the movie's climax and the entire ending.

I think the movie's based on a book. I'd like to read it. The movie hinted at details it didn't quite show. Like what does a Sandman do when he's not chasing Runners, or who or what runs the City?

• Jump to: