Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 1st, 2012 at 10:34:02 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Sorry to hit you with several questions at once. How about just the one about the meadow. What is the difference between prado y vegas?

For one thing, the only occasion where I've come across the word "vega" for meadows is in the name "Las Vegas." While "prado" is rather common.

Now, instead of putting all the rest in one post, why don't you pick all the other words in order for this thread, one each day? Just a suggestion.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
June 2nd, 2012 at 8:09:10 AM permalink
Fecha: 02-06-12
Palabra: Puñal

Today we will continue our look at Clue pieces.

WongBo mentioned the Spanish edition used a puñal. This translates to dagger.

This got me to wondering what the difference is between a knife and a dagger. It seems to me that daggers are more or less symmetrical, with a double-edge blade. They are perfectly sized to stab vampires in the heart, which depending on legend is the only way to kill them. Daggers were a major plot point in the movie The Omen.

Source: eBay (you can buy this dagger for $7,480)

Upon checking an image of the Clue piece, it does indeed look like a dagger.

Source: leealumni.homestead.com

I wonder why they don't call it that in the English version. Probably because it is a word people only say on television and movies. So, perhaps they were trying to keep things realistic.

The question for the advanced readers is what is the difference between a puñal y daga?

Ejemplo time.

El gimnasio de la escuela secundaria está infestada de vampiros y no puedo encontrar mi puñal. = The high school gym is infested with vampires and I can't find my dagger.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
June 2nd, 2012 at 8:46:57 AM permalink

It seems to me that daggers are more or less symmetrical, with a double-edge blade. They are perfectly sized to stab vampires in the heart, which depending on legend is the only way to kill them.

Doubly glad I haven't encountered any vampires lately; I thought you were supposed to use a wooden stake.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 2nd, 2012 at 8:49:37 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Doubly glad I haven't encountered any vampires lately; I thought you were supposed to use a wooden stake.

As I recall, that is how Buffy killed them. Otherwise, I think it depends on where the vampire is from. Other options I think I've heard are direct exposure to sunlight and dousing them with holy water. I should ask my daughter, she read all the Twilight books at least five times.
only1choice
only1choice
  • Threads: 59
June 2nd, 2012 at 8:50:43 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-a-Vampire
IF YOU PLAY "PLAY TO WIN"
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 2nd, 2012 at 9:05:58 AM permalink

Upon checking an image of the Clue piece, it does indeed look like a dagger. I wonder why they don't call it that in the English version. Probably because it is a word people only say on television and movies. So, perhaps they were trying to keep things realistic.

In 1944, Anthony E. Pratt, an English solicitor's clerk, filed for a patent of his invention of a murder/mystery-themed game, originally named "Murder!" The game was originally invented as a new game to play during sometimes lengthy air raid drills in underground bunkers. Shortly thereafter, Pratt and his wife presented the game to Waddingtons' executive, Norman Watson, who immediately purchased the game and provided its trademark name of "Cluedo" (a play on "clue" and "Ludo", which is Latin for I play). Weapons are:

• Candlestick
  • Dagger (A Knife in North American editions, each represented by a respective depiction)
  • Lead Pipe (called Lead Piping in earlier UK editions)
  • Revolver (first depicted in the UK as a Dreyse M1907 semi-automatic pistol, and in North America as a Colt M1911 pistol.
    All current editions typically represent an Allan & Thurber Pepper-box revolver first depicted in the 1972 Clue edition.
  • Rope (originally represented by a natural fibre coiled piece of string, the standard edition now consists of molded plastic or metal)
  • Spanner (called Wrench in North American editions and depicted as a Monkey wrench, it may also be shown as an Open-ended spanner in some traditional UK versions)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 2nd, 2012 at 9:09:51 AM permalink
One of my favorite writers out there is Cecil Adams of The Straight Dope. As I mentioned, there are different ways according to where you are. Doc's method will work only in Albania and Hungary.

Here is what Adams has to say:

Quote: The Straight Dope

Sampiro - Albania - Stake through heart
Nachtzehrer - Bavaria - Place coin in mouth, decapitate with ax
Ogoljen - Bohemia - Bury at crossroads
Krvoijac - Bulgaria - Chain to grave with wild roses
Kathakano - Crete - Boil head in vinegar
Brukalaco - Greece - Cut off and burn head
Vampir - Hungary - Stake through heart, nail through temples
Dearg-dul - Ireland - Pile stones on grave
Vryolakas - Macedonia - Pour boiling oil on, drive nail through navel
Upier - Poland - Bury face downwards
Gierach - Prussia - Put poppy seeds in grave
Strigoiul - Rumania - Remove heart, cut in two; garlic in mouth, nail in head
Vlkoslak - Serbia - Cut off toes, drive nail through neck
Neuntoter - Saxony - Lemon in mouth
Vampiro - Spain - No known remedy

Source: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/37/whats-the-best-way-to-kill-a-vampire.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
June 2nd, 2012 at 9:12:18 AM permalink
Quote: only1choice

http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-a-Vampire

Well, that article supports the idea of using a wooden stake on a vampire, but it also recommends a silver bullet through the heart. I thought that was for werewolves.

It surely is a good thing I don't have to deal with such creatures myself!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 2nd, 2012 at 10:40:37 AM permalink

Palabra: Peñal

pUñal.

It's a generic term for a knife used as a weapon, as opposed to a knife used for cutting food or a surgical knife. It's also an insulting, demeaning way to refer to gay men.

Quote:

The question for the advanced readers is what is the difference between a peñal y daga?

See above. A switchblade would qualify as a "pUñal" as much as a dagger.

Quote:

El gimnasio de la escuela secondaria está infestada de vampiros y no puedo encontrar mi peñal. = The high school gym is infested with vampires and I can't find my dagger.

SecUndaria and pUñal. Other than that it's all good.

BTW, can you kill a vampire if he's already dead?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 2nd, 2012 at 12:02:50 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

pUñal.
It's a generic term for a knife used as a weapon, as opposed to a knife used for cutting food or a surgical knife.

Related words:
apuñalar - (verb) to stab
puño -fist ; fistful, handful, bunch; wristband; handle

Does "puño" have any sexual connotations? Is it ever a polite word?

• Jump to: