Thread Rating:

JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
May 29th, 2012 at 6:12:19 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

If you speak French, then you at least be aware of the use of the word for "dry" to mean abruptly.

My French knowledge didn't go that far, or if it did, I have since forgotten it. I haven't used French for 15 or 16 years; I just recall being taught that you were not to use possessives with body parts, even when talking about your own arm or leg or whatever. But when we went to Paris and Geneva, the locals said the opposite was true.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 29th, 2012 at 6:53:24 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Today's SWD means to wash. How does that differ from lavar, I'm sure you're wondering.

Not quite. It means to wash by means of rubbing something against something else or against itself.

In Mexico every home with a laundry room has a concrete basin with a washboard built in the bottom. this is called a "fregadero," and it's used for hand-washing clothes by rubbing them against the washboard.

In Mexico the verb "fregar" also means "molestar."

Quote:

In the context I found fregar it referred to washing dishes.

Technically so, but you won't hear many people talk about "fregar los platos," if any.

Quote:

Mientras fui fregando las ventanas, me caí de la escalera. = While washing the windows, I fell off the ladder.

"Mientras fregaba las ventanas...."

But I also wouldn't use "fregar" in connection with windows. Nor can I think of many washboard related injuries :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
May 29th, 2012 at 6:59:06 AM permalink

Mientras fui fregando las ventanas, me caí de la escalera. = While washing the windows, I fell off the ladder.

Would you use the Preterite with mientras?

Mientras que yo era fregando las ventanas....
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
May 29th, 2012 at 11:54:14 PM permalink
Fecha: 30-05-12
Palabra: Discutir

Today's SWD means to argue.

You might think that the word for argument would be discutira, but it isn't. Rather it is argumento. The question for the advanced readers is why doesn't discutira mean argument? Think about it. Mentir means to lie and mentira is a lie, so if discutir is to argument, shouldn't discutira mean an argument?

Ejemplo time.

No quiero discutir; no quiero debatir. No quiero oír de cual clase de comida odias. = I don't want to argue; I don't want to debate. I don't want to hear what kind of food you hate.

Trivia time: Name that song.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 30th, 2012 at 1:26:34 AM permalink

I'm just saying that every source on Spanish grammar I have seen says that body parts are never possessive in Spanish. This includes a source you quoted yesterday. I'm not sure why you're going after me about it.

I wasn't going after you, I was simply looking for clarification. There are possessive nouns, possessive adjectives, and possessive pronouns. Since the article was talking about possessive adjectives, I must assume that is what you mean.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 30th, 2012 at 1:37:39 AM permalink
Quote: NowTheSerpent

NowTheSerpent is using the correct tense, but he has the grammatical name wrong. The verb "era" is the imperfect, and "fui" is the preterite.

Nareed also used the imperfect tense, but not the continuous form that we use in English...
Mientras fregaba las ventanas....

I honestly don't know if the continuous is wrong, or if it is just awkward.
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
May 30th, 2012 at 4:59:39 AM permalink

Quote: NowTheSerpent

NowTheSerpent is using the correct tense, but he has the grammatical name wrong. The verb "era" is the imperfect, and "fui" is the preterite.

Incidentally, my question was not, "Wouldn't you use the Preterite with mientras?", and is mientras que actually proper or preferred, or is mientras alone standard? I was assuming that all subordinate clauses must be introduced by explicit que, but is this universally so?
Nareed
Nareed
May 30th, 2012 at 6:36:55 AM permalink

No quiero discutir; no quiero debatir. No quiero oír de cual clase de comida odias. = I don't want to argue; I don't want to debate. I don't want to hear what kind of food you hate.

Trivia time: Name that song.

"Eat it" by Weird Al Yankovik

What melody did the same "singer" use to satirize "The Phantom Menace"?
Nareed
Nareed
May 30th, 2012 at 6:47:21 AM permalink

You might think that the word for argument would be discutira, but it isn't. Rather it is argumento.

"Discutir" also means "to discuss." "Argumento" means "argument," but it also means the gist or theme of a literary work (surprise!)

Anyway, when you talk about two people having a verbal fight, which is what most people mean when they use the verb "to argue," you do not resort to "discutir" in Spanish. You'd go with terms like "pelear" or "argumentar."

"Discutir" has a mixed usage. On one hadn it applies to less emotionally charged subjects, like a scientific discussion, but also to highly charged subjects like political discussions. Also, if someone tries to argue a point, say about work or strategy, when you've amde up your mind and don't want to hear anything further ont he subject, you'd shut the person up by saying "¡No discutas!" or maybe "Ya no quiero discutir."

Quote:

"...No quiero oir que clase de comida odias."

But that's a bit too formal, so "...no quiero oir que comida odias."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
May 30th, 2012 at 6:57:06 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

"Discutir" also means "to discuss."

I don't dispute that, but Reverso says it also means "argue." In the context I found it, the word was used as a translation of argue.

I wasn't going after you, I was simply looking for clarification. There are possessive nouns, possessive adjectives, and possessive pronouns. Since the article was talking about possessive adjectives, I must assume that is what you mean.

The article was walking about possessive articles. Here it is again.

Quote: 10 Grammatical Mistakes You Can Avoid

But in Spanish, the definite article (el or la) is used when the person the body part or item belongs to is obvious. Correct: ¡Abre los ojos! (Open your eyes!) El hombre se puso la camisa. (The man put on his shirt.)

-- link
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: