Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 21st, 2012 at 5:47:04 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Well, for that, Google might work:

"John paid the duck in the name of our friendship."

Close.

"Juan will pay the duck in the name of our friendship" (names shouldn't be translated, unless they're too difficult to pronounce).
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 21st, 2012 at 5:49:21 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Did they have ducks in biblical times?

No question ducks existed then. Whether any could be found in a mostly desert land with few lakes and rivers, I'm not so sure. FWIW, I don't recall seeing any ducks in Israel, but then i wasn't looking for any.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
April 21st, 2012 at 6:01:46 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

No question ducks existed then. Whether any could be found in a mostly desert land with few lakes and rivers, I'm not so sure. FWIW, I don't recall seeing any ducks in Israel, but then i wasn't looking for any.

I meant did ducks exist in the middle east during the time the bible was written. I know they must have existed somewhere. A search at a bible web site turned up nothing.

Okay, Paco, this is where you come in.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 21st, 2012 at 8:23:16 PM permalink

I meant did ducks exist in the middle east during the time the bible was written. I know they must have existed somewhere. A search at a bible web site turned up nothing.

Okay, Paco, this is where you come in.

The Jews, before the Babylonian captivity in 6th century BC, had no domestic fowls except pigeons . But as ducks are very cosmopolitan and exist everywhere in the world. I would assume that they were in the Middle East.

The bird that is most often mentioned in the bible is the "dove". Also swallows, heron, storks, swans, raven, quail, partridge, eagles, falcons, ostrich's and owls. Ducks are not mentioned in the bible, but their absence may not signify anything.

The time when the bible was written is pretty long. Generally the old testament was considered to have taken at least a millenium and a half, while the New testament was probably written in less than 50 years.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
April 22nd, 2012 at 7:47:02 AM permalink
Thanks Paco for the bible lesson. I guess we won't know why "pay the duck" means to take the blame for something you didn't do.

Fecha: 22-04-12
Palabra: traicionar

Today's SWD means to betray. A related word is traidor, which means a traitor.

The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast traicionar with delatar.

Ejemplo time.

Estoy en el carcel porque mi amigo traicionarme. = I am in jail because my friend betrayed me.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 22nd, 2012 at 8:14:26 AM permalink

I guess we won't know why "pay the duck" means to take the blame for something you didn't do.

A duck who wasn't paid helps herself while a pretty Latina is distracted by her offspring.

Someone suggested that to "pay the piper" is similar, but I disagree. If you don't pay the piper his agreed upon salary (which is very high) he will extract his revenge which is much worse. But the piper deserves his compensation.

To "carry the can" means something similar, because you are taking the responsibility for something you didn't do.

To "kick the can down the road", is sort of like pushing the blame down to lower levels.

Even "sacrificial lamb" is not exactly the same thing. The lamb is paying for something he didn't do, but the lamb is completely innocent and pure. There is no implication of purity in the idiom "pagar el pato".
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
April 22nd, 2012 at 8:15:36 AM permalink

Estoy en el carcel porque mi amigo traicionarme. = I am in jail because my friend betrayed me.

Hey, Mike! Do not forget to put the verb in the past tense. Furthermore, carcel is a noun, and nouns in spanish have genders. Carcel is female. La carcel.

Estoy en la carcel porque mi amigo me traicionó.
No bounce, no play.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
April 22nd, 2012 at 8:30:02 AM permalink
Quote: aluisio

Hey, Mike! Do not forget to put the verb in the past tense. Furthermore, carcel is a noun, and nouns in spanish have genders. Carcel is female. La carcel.

Estoy en la carcel porque mi amigo me traicionó.

Thanks. I don't know why I thought carcel was masculine. Maybe because the vast majority of inmates, at least here, are men.

Yup, I should have known better on the past tense. Somebody add 20 push-ups to my tab for that one.

Thanks for your help. Nice of you to give Nareed the day off.

Quote: pacomartin

To "kick the can down the road", is sort of like pushing the blame down to lower levels.

I thought it meant to procrastinate. In other words, put off dealing with a problem until later. You know you have to pick up the can eventually, but as long as you have to walk down the road, you can keep kicking it until you get to your destination.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
April 22nd, 2012 at 8:37:24 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

A duck who wasn't paid helps herself while a pretty Latina is distracted by her offspring.

Nice photo, but I thought that was the Aflac duck delivering insurance benefits.

How do you say "Quaaaaaack!" in Spanish with a Gilbert Gottfried accent?
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 22nd, 2012 at 8:43:50 AM permalink

The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast traicionar with delatar.

The verb tracionar is 'betray" while delatar is more like "denounce".

You could denounce someone, without once having been their ally.

One of the RAE definitions of delatar used reflexively is:
Hacer patente su intención involuntariamente.

So "delatarse" would be like a "tell" when you are playing poker.

• Jump to: