Thread Rating:

miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
March 13th, 2012 at 8:00:48 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I have the feeling we've been over this word before. Is there any way the search function can display the results as posts rather than threads?

From Page 183
Quote: Wizard

Fecha: 28 de Enero, 2012
Palabra: Lloriquear

Today's SWD means to whine/snivel. A related word is llorar, which means to cry.

A question for the advanced readers is how does "quear" suffix in general change a word? In this case it would seem to make it less forceful, or perhaps faked.

Ejemplo time.

lloriqueé porque tuve ir a cama mas temprano. = I whined because I had to go to bed early.

edit to add: Ay caramba con queso! Me olvidé de decir algo en español.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 13th, 2012 at 8:09:27 AM permalink
Quote: miplet

From Page 183

Good job! Did you go page by page? It was very fast.

But I see I didn't reply to that one. I thought I had. Oh, well.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
March 13th, 2012 at 8:15:53 AM permalink
I used googles site search feature. Just type "site:wizardofvegas.com " and the word you are looking for.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
March 13th, 2012 at 8:19:52 AM permalink
Good job miplet, and bad memory Wizard.

It takes seeing a word at least 20 times before I commit it to memory. Still, I apologize for the repeat.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 13th, 2012 at 8:22:00 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I don't even know which one's the series and which one's the movie.

Serenity is the name of the ship, the valley where they fight their defining battle that opens up the series, and the movie. Firefly is the class of spaceship, and the name of the TV series.
Nareed
Nareed
March 13th, 2012 at 8:26:20 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Serenity is the name of the ship, the valley where they fight their defining battle that opens up the series, and the movie. Firefly is the class of spaceship, and the name of the TV series.

I knew nothing about that. You knew nothign, or next to, about Babylon 5. So I think both my statements concernign geeks and B5 are correct ;)
Nareed
Nareed
March 13th, 2012 at 8:30:56 AM permalink

Good job miplet, and bad memory Wizard.

It takes seeing a word at least 20 times before I commit it to memory. Still, I apologize for the repeat.

Seeing as there was no answer to the first posting, I see no problem or harm in repeating the word. At least you got a kind of asnwer this time. So let's agree unanswered words can be repeated without penalty or apology.

Nor do I, nor anyone else I suppose, think you can memorize every word you've posted on this trhead. You know, back in the 80s I spent a month in Cambridge, England, where I made it a habit to visit bookstores every day. I bought a large amount of science fiction books, too, getting anywhere from on to three in each visit. I wound up buying Asimov's "Caves of Steel" twice :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 13th, 2012 at 11:14:59 AM permalink
Thanks for your forgiveness. However, I'm not good at forgiving myself so will do another SWD for today.

Fecha: 13 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: albóndiga

Today's SWD means meatball. This is a nice word that seems to have one meaning only, and no synonym.

A question for the advanced readers is whether albóndiga has a slang component as well. For example, in English if you called someone a meatball it would imply their are rather slow and stupid.

Ejemplo time.

Encima de macarrón a la italiana,
Todo cubrió en queso,
Perdí mi albóndiga pobre,
Cuando alguien estornudó.
=

On top of spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
March 13th, 2012 at 11:38:00 AM permalink

Today's SWD means meatball.

Thanks oh so much :-P for reviving a memory that should have stayed buried. When I read "meatball", I could only think of Dick Biondi and "The Pizza Song". Is there anyone else around here who can try to blame their present state on exposure to such warped things from radio in the '60s?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 13th, 2012 at 12:25:04 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Thanks oh so much :-P for reviving a memory that should have stayed buried. When I read "meatball", I could only think of Dick Biondi and "The Pizza Song". Is there anyone else around here who can try to blame their present state on exposure to such warped things from radio in the '60s?

To be honest, I had no idea where that song originated from. This is going back a long way, but as I recall I could play "On Top of Old Smokey" on something like a harmonica (which I still have) as a kid. Some neighborhood kids always broke out into singing The Pizza Song whenever I did. This is the first I knew the title of the song. I vaguely recall other kids in the Cub Scouts and Webelos singing it as well from time to time.

I'm afraid I don't have much memory of sixties radio, since I was born in 65, but was a very loyal listener to the Dr. Demento show for parts of the seventies and eighties, which played a similar kind of musical humor and parodies, much of it by Weird Al Yankovic.

Nice to see you, Doc. Seems I haven't seen you post for a while. Sorry to trigger a memory you preferred forgotten. Actually, I'm not sorry; it is my evil side that likes to do things like that.

• Jump to: