Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
February 16th, 2012 at 5:11:58 AM permalink
Fecha: 16 de Febrero
Palabra: guiñar


Today's SWD means to wink. A related word is guiño, which means a wink (noun).

This makes me wonder if winking means the same thing in other cultures. Of course here it means "I'm kidding," or an affectionate way to say "hello." The winking emoticon is useful in conveying a joke when a reader might interpret something as being serious, although I think it is overused.

I looked up wink in a bible site and it seems to imply something more malicious than it does now.

Quote: Bible


Psalm 35:19
Do not let those gloat over me who are my enemies without cause; do not let those who hate me without reason maliciously wink the eye.

Proverbs 6:13
who winks maliciously with his eye, signals with his feet and motions with his fingers,

Proverbs 10:10
Whoever winks maliciously causes grief, and a chattering fool comes to ruin.

Proverbs 16:30
Whoever winks with their eye is plotting perversity; whoever purses their lips is bent on evil.



Ejemplo time

Guiñaba a ella, y ella giró su espalda a mi. = I winked at her, and she turned her back to me.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
February 16th, 2012 at 7:15:42 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The winking emoticon is useful in conveying a joke when a reader might interpret something as being serious, although I think it is overused.



Do you? ;) I don't think so. ;).

Anwyay ;)

Quote:

Guiñaba a ella, y ella giró su espalda a mi. = I winked at her, and she turned her back to me.



The word doesn't get much usage, curiosuly neither does "blink," so it's hard for me to say whether the intent would carry over or not. But you conjugations are wrong, and you chose the wrong word later on.

"Guiñaba" means "I was blinking."

"Turned her back" is translated as "me dió la espalda."

So: "Le guiñÉ a ella, y me dió la espalda."

That's a bit formal, but very exact.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
February 16th, 2012 at 8:47:43 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

"Guiñaba" means "I was blinking."



I was going to use guiñé, but thought that the imperfect past tense was more appropriate, because I was telling a story, and it begged the question, "what did the girl do?" Meanwhile, I used the simple past tense for girar, because I wanted to story to come off that when my wink was rejected the story was over.

Quote:

"Turned her back" is translated as "me dió la espalda."



I know Spanish has a lot of idioms, but she didn't GIVE me her back.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
February 16th, 2012 at 9:31:26 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I know Spanish has a lot of idioms, but she didn't GIVE me her back.



No, but she didn't twist her back, either.

It's one of those things that are ingrained from childhood. When you do anything to present your back to someone else, the expresison in Spanish is "dar la espalda."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
February 16th, 2012 at 10:29:52 AM permalink
I'm surprised Paco hasn't given us a picture of a pretty girl winking by now. If it were not for the PG rule my guess is he would choose the famous one of Bettie Page at the Christmas tree.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
February 16th, 2012 at 11:37:49 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I looked up wink in a bible site and it seems to imply something more malicious than it does now.


The Hebrew word is certainly more angry than the English word :"winks":.
Transliteration:qarats:
to nip, pinch Original Word: קָרַץ
Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-rats')

buzzpaff
buzzpaff
Joined: Mar 8, 2011
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 5328
February 16th, 2012 at 11:38:42 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm surprised Paco hasn't given us a picture of a pretty girl winking by now. If it were not for the PG rule my guess is he would choose the famous one of Bettie Page at the Christmas tree.



Betty Page refused to be photographed in her later years. Not a question of vanity as much as wanted to be remembered how she appeared in those pin-ups.
Damn, I need to get a glass of ice water. Suddenly this room seems hotter.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
February 16th, 2012 at 11:50:06 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm surprised Paco hasn't given us a picture of a pretty girl winking by now. If it were not for the PG rule my guess is he would choose the famous one of Bettie Page at the Christmas tree.



So tell him to post Betty Boop instead ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
Joined: Mar 8, 2011
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 5328
February 16th, 2012 at 11:54:59 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

So tell him to post Betty Boop instead ;)



MEOW
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
February 16th, 2012 at 11:57:11 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

MEOW



You don't like Betty Boop?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

  • Jump to: