Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
February 1st, 2012 at 10:06:32 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

All I recall from that movie is the five note tune. It's the only thing I ever learned to play in a piano :)

Trivia time: What other movie from the eighties featured that same five-note tune?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 2nd, 2012 at 2:51:37 AM permalink

Thank you. I've no idea what the word for that is in Spanish.

English frequently adapts a word from Latin or one of it's descendant languages for a very specific usage. For example, the Spanish verb influir is from Latin influĕre or in English influence was used in 1743 to describe a particularly virulent epidemic that began in Italy. It was termed an influenza or an influence from the heavens. The word was adopted in English to describe a nasty or highly contagious cold. In common speech it is shortened to flu.

The English word flue which has the same pronunciation as flu literally means "smoke channel in a chimney," is from Old English flowan meaning "to flow," and/or Old French fluie meaning "to stream". Sometimes the word is used (as the Wizard did) as the control device on the flow channel.

From looking at the dictionary it seems like the Spanish phrase chimenea tiro means the same thing.

Another word respiradero is defined as meaning "flue", but it also seems to mean "vent" , "snorkel", and the "ventilation shaft" of a mine.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 2nd, 2012 at 3:12:58 AM permalink
Spanish secondary word in the news today is conquistar, or "to conquer". A man who conquers is a conquistador .

Argentina is angry because Prince William is coming to Argentina in the military uniform of a conquistador in a series of exercises to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Falklands war.
' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/720a25e022e3e503050f6a7067006082.jpg]

Shakespeare commemorated every soldier who died over a few feet of turf in his famous speech beginning we go to gain a little patch of ground.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 2nd, 2012 at 6:56:57 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Trivia time: What other movie from the eighties featured that same five-note tune?

That's a good question, and (believe it or not) I don't know! I remember seeing it; I think it was another Spielberg movie...maybe ET?
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 2nd, 2012 at 7:02:25 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

That's a good question, and (believe it or not) I don't know! I remember seeing it; I think it was another Spielberg movie...maybe ET?

The better question is: given such god-awful movies like Close Encounters and E.T., how did Spielberg become a force to be reckined with in Hollywood? Was it on the strength of Jaws alone, or did it come afterwards when he backed good movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Back to the Future?

I vote for the latter option.

It may also be I'm in a bad mood today...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
teddys
teddys
February 2nd, 2012 at 7:09:02 AM permalink

The better question is: given such god-awful movies like Close Encounters and E.T., how did Spielberg become a force to be reckined with in Hollywood? Was it on the strength of Jaws alone, or did it come afterwards when he backed good movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Back to the Future?

Box office. Pure and simple. When you make the two highest grossing movies of all time (no matter how terrible they were), you are by definition a force to be reckoned with. He became one of the most powerful men in Hollywood almost immediately.

The critical reputation didn't come much later until "Schindler's List" (which I also didn't think was that good). He is an okay filmmaker, in my opinion; by no means one of the greats.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 2nd, 2012 at 7:31:29 AM permalink

Box office. Pure and simple. When you make the two highest grossing movies of all time (no matter how terrible they were), you are by definition a force to be reckoned with. He became one of the most powerful men in Hollywood almost immediately.

Oh, certainly. But that just pushes back the question (and we're getting theological here now). Whyw did such movies like Close Encounters and ET gross so high? ET I sort of understand. it's a maudlin, sentimental movie with "family" appeal. Kids' movies tend to do well, if the kids like them. I can see why kids would like, say, Toy Story or The Little Mermaid, but not ET.

Close Encounters, on the other hand, was a long, long, long, long wait for a very small payoff. You get a nice teaser near the beginning, with the scientists rushing excitedely in the Sonoran desert, and the mysterious blackouts and lights in the sky wherever Richard Dreyfus was. But then it's all a long and boring wait for something, anything, to happen. When something finally does, you're left thinking "THAT'S IT????????"

Did I mention you mostly wait for a long time for something to happen? :)

On the gripping hand, Raiders of the Lost Ark is a series of events, many of them exciting, building up to a climax that 1) is satisfying and 2) takes a reasonable amount of time. Likewise Back to the Future (which Spielberg produced but didn't direct)

I guess I'm way off topic by now ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
February 2nd, 2012 at 7:32:49 AM permalink

The better question is: given such god-awful movies like Close Encounters and E.T., how did Spielberg become a force to be reckined with in Hollywood?

Hey, the public loved those movies! I thought Close Encounters was outstanding, but E.T. was overly cute and campy but still a good flick. I'll take ET over Avatar any day.

Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List would both make my list of top 20 movies if I were to cull such a list.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
teddys
teddys
February 2nd, 2012 at 7:34:58 AM permalink
The one thing I remember from Close Encounters that really bugged me (and Nareed, you will appreciate this) is a throwaway line from the beginning where one of the scientists talks about just coming in from "Villahermosa."

Villahermosa is the capital of Tabasco State. Surely they meant Hermosillo, the capital of Sonora. Just sets the tone for the rest of the crappy movie.

(Edit: Hey, I used a Spanish word!)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
February 2nd, 2012 at 8:20:37 AM permalink

Villahermosa is the capital of Tabasco State. Surely they meant Hermosillo, the capital of Sonora. Just sets the tone for the rest of the crappy movie.

(Edit: Hey, I used a Spanish word!)

"Crappy"? Didn't know that was Spanish.

• Jump to: