Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 30th, 2012 at 5:00:14 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

There needs to be an expression for losing one's soul in a bet.

"Wizbet"

Like?

I thought "Nareed's Folly," but that's 1) too long and 2) probably not the worst thing I'll ever do :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
January 30th, 2012 at 5:01:31 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I though I would ask if you read it for school.

Never even heard of it, or the auhtor, before in my life.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
January 30th, 2012 at 5:12:32 PM permalink

It was actually Carter who deregulated the airlines in 1978.

I would never have thought that. Just goes to show how Teddy outscored me by 19 points on the Jeopardy test.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
January 30th, 2012 at 5:47:14 PM permalink

I would never have thought that. Just goes to show how Teddy outscored me by 19 points on the Jeopardy test.

I don't think it was about politics, it was just the timing. The year before Italy had started operations on the first 100 mile segment of high speed rail in Europe, and France was already starting construction of the first TGV project, the LGV Sud-Est.

In the USA AMTRAK had been operating for 7 years and mostly shutting down lines. Reading Railroad had once been the largest company in the world a few years after the civil war.

It was pretty clear that the US was not going to follow Europe and Japan in investing in a new generation of trains. Airline deregulation was the only way to go.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 1st, 2012 at 8:11:53 PM permalink
Fecha: 2 de Feb., 2012
Palabra: chimenea

Here is a word I'm confused by. According to the dictionary it can mean chimney or fireplace. To make matters more confusing there is another word, hogar, which also means fireplace -- not to mention home as well.

So, if we already cover a fireplace with hogar, why can't chimenea refer only to the chimney? If I were to say Mi casa tiene dos chimeneas, how would you know if I was referring to chimneys or fireplaces? In two-story houses one chimney can have two fireplaces.

A question for the advanced readers is what is the word for the flue?

Ejemplo time.

No puedo encender la chimenea, porque mis fósforos están mojados. = I can't light the fireplace because my matches are wet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 1st, 2012 at 8:45:48 PM permalink

The advertisement here says Chimenea moderna de 3 lados (hogar cerrado)

So it sounds like the Chimenea is the entire structure, but since it says (hogar cerrado) ,
The phrase (hogar cerrado) is translated as "closed hearth" in google.

Another dictionary translates hogar as : fireplace, section of a chimney which opens into a room in which a fire can be lit; hearth, floor of a fireplace.

"chimenea tiro" is a flue. I assume it is the same word as tirar or "to throw" since it throws the smoke out of the room.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 1st, 2012 at 9:04:15 PM permalink

Another dictionary translates hogar as : fireplace, section of a chimney which opens into a room in which a fire can be lit; hearth, floor of a fireplace.

Here is a sentence from the book Olivia se prepara para la Navidad, "El papá de Olivia trae leña para la chimenea." The picture is of him holding firewood in front of the fireplace.

On another topic, I would have thought to put por in that context.
Nareed
Nareed
February 1st, 2012 at 9:11:04 PM permalink

Here is a word I'm confused by. According to the dictionary it can mean chimney or fireplace.

It can also mean smokestack.

Quote:

So, if we already cover a fireplace with hogar, why can't chimenea refer only to the chimney? If I were to say Mi casa tiene dos chimeneas, how would you know if I was referring to chimneys or fireplaces?

Beats me. We never had one at home. My brother put one in his house, but I don't think he's ever sued it. maybe when the house was new. Since then he had the chimney shut off to prevent cold air from seeping in.

Quote:

A question for the advanced readers is what is the word for the flue?

That depends. What is a flue? I've seen the word before, but I don't know what it means.

Quote:

No puedo encender la chimenea, porque mis fósforos están mojados. = I can't light the fireplace because my matches are wet.

Very good. But in Mexico you'd want to say "cerillos" rather than "fósforos." "Fósforo," by the way, also means phosphorous, as in the element. I suppose because it's sued to make matches.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 1st, 2012 at 9:18:25 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That depends. What is a flue? I've seen the word before, but I don't know what it means.

Your brother may have used a flue to shut off the chimney. It is a metal door, if you will, just above the fireplace. Normally it is kept open, but if you want to prevent hot/cold air from getting into the house you would close it. I was going to say in my ejemplo "I lit a fire in the fireplace but the flue was closed so the house filled with smoke," however, I didn't know how to say flue in Spanish.

I think in the movie Close Encounters there is a scene where the mother tries to close every entry point into the house, but forgets about the flue until the end. You see the camera angle looking down the chimenea as she struggles with the handle.
Nareed
Nareed
February 1st, 2012 at 9:36:31 PM permalink

Your brother may have used a flue to shut off the chimney. It is a metal door, if you will, just above the fireplace. Normally it is kept open, but if you want to prevent hot/cold air from getting into the house you would close it."

Thank you. I've no idea what the word for that is in Spanish.

Quote:

I think in the movie Close Encounters there is a scene where the mother tries to close every entry point into the house, but forgets about the flue until the end. You see the camera angle looking down the chimenea as she struggles with the handle.

All I recall from that movie is the five note tune. It's the only thing I ever learned to play in a piano :)

• Jump to: