Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
January 23rd, 2012 at 1:57:07 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Padre, me perdone, porque he pecado.



"Father, I forgave me, because I have sinned."

I don't know much about Catholic beliefs, but itwould seem the only one who could say that and mean it would be the man from Nazareth. On the other hand, maybe not.

Thw correct wording would be "Pader, me perdonA, porque he pecado."

Quote:

Also correct would be
Padre, perdoneme, porque he pecado.



That one is correct.

Quote:

Nareed will correct me if I am wrong.



Most times.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
January 23rd, 2012 at 4:23:10 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

But it's "Feliz Año Nuevo Chino A todos."



I should have split up the adjectives. As I recall, if there are two adjectives describing a noun then you put the noun in the middle. I assume you would put the more important adjective first.

However, here we have three adjectives. How did you decided to divide them as you did?

Quote: Nareed

As I recall, you ask god to forgive you. I don't recall anyone ever asking my forgiveness, or me asking anyone's, either at new year's or at Yom Kippur.



"The Hebrew month preceding Rosh Hashanah, Elul, is designated as a month of introspection and repentance ... It is customary to increase the giving of charity (Tzedakah) and to ask forgiveness from friends." -- Wikipedia entry on the High Holy Days.

Also, I hope nobody minds but I asked Teddys to visit us to comment. He said I could ask him questions about Judaism any time.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
January 23rd, 2012 at 4:55:58 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I should have split up the adjectives. As I recall, if there are two adjectives describing a noun then you put the noun in the middle. I assume you would put the more important adjective first.

However, here we have three adjectives. How did you decided to divide them as you did?



Well, there's one noun: año nuevo. Technically I suppose "nuevo" is an adjective, but in practice the whole phrase can be treated as one word describing the holiday. The adjective would be "chino," since you must differentiate it from the regular new year.


Quote:

"The Hebrew month preceding Rosh Hashanah, Elul, is designated as a month of introspection and repentance ... It is customary to increase the giving of charity (Tzedakah) and to ask forgiveness from friends." -- Wikipedia entry on the High Holy Days.



I've some vague memories of that. But, really, no one who's not religious takes any of the rituals very seriously. I know lots of people who attend only one part of the Yom Kippur service and nothing else (besides social occassions). Me, I stay away from the whole thing, except when I can't possibly avoid it.

Quote:

Also, I hope nobody minds but I asked Teddys to visit us to comment. He said I could ask him questions about Judaism any time.



Better him than me :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
January 24th, 2012 at 8:05:08 AM permalink
Fecha: 24 de Enero, 2012
Palabra: Enviar


Today's SWD means to send.

A question for the advanced readers is how does enviar differ from mandar y remitir?

Ejemplo time.

Olvidé a enviar mi madre una tarjeta para el día de las madres. = I forgot to send my mother a card for mother's day.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
January 24th, 2012 at 8:35:34 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

A question for the advanced readers is how does enviar differ from mandar y remitir?



Send itself is not from a Latin word, but Anglo Saxon origin. Can include the meaning of the divine, as in "Godsend" and "God sent forth his only son".

The cognates to the Spanish verbs in English are
envoy=someone sent to represent you
remit= something resent
mandate=a command sent to represent your authority

enviar- Hacer que algo se dirija o sea llevado a alguna parte. (Make something addressed or make it brought somewhere).
remitir- Enviar algo a determinada persona de otro lugar.
mandar- Enviar a alguien o remitir algo.

Etymology
enviar.(Del lat. tardío inviāre).2nd definition in DRAE. transitivo
remitir.(Del lat. remittĕre).1st definition in DRAE. transitivo
mandar.(Del lat. mandāre). 4th definition in DRAE. transitivo
teddys
teddys
Joined: Nov 14, 2009
  • Threads: 150
  • Posts: 5444
January 24th, 2012 at 9:07:51 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

One of the many traditions surrounding Chinese New Year is that it is a time of forgiveness. It is a time to reconcile old grudges and start a new year with a clean slate. Isn't this the same tradition with the Jewish new year?

Yes. The Jewish New Year is the time to ask each other, and God, for forgiveness. You are supposed to do this in the ten days between Rosh Hashana (New Year's) and Yom Kippur (The Day of Atonement). Supposedly this is the best time to talk to God -- when he is most "available," so to speak. I was always told it was more important to get other people to forgive you rather than God; God won't help you unless you have asked that person first. This is consistent with the general principle of Judaism of taking care of your Earthly/moral problems yourself instead of just praying to God about them.

If you don't get your repentance in before sundown on the Day of Atonement, you're out of luck because the book is closed and you are either written in for death or for life in the new year.

Every 7th year is a Sabbatical Year, as stated in the bible, where debts are forgiven and whatnot. This isn't really followed anymore except in Israel, and I can't remember when the last Sabbatical year was.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
January 24th, 2012 at 10:11:15 AM permalink
Thanks, Teddy, for a very interesting and informative answer.

Quote: teddys

I was always told it was more important to get other people to forgive you rather than God; God won't help you unless you have asked that person first. This is consistent with the general principle of Judaism of taking care of your Earthly/moral problems yourself instead of just praying to God about them.



That principle appeals to me. I also like the concept of a distant god, whose window is open only week a year. That, I think, would motivate followers to work out their own problems, as opposed to bothering god with every little request.

Quote: teddys

Every 7th year is a Sabbatical Year, as stated in the bible, where debts are forgiven and whatnot. This isn't really followed anymore except in Israel, and I can't remember when the last Sabbatical year was.



Hmm. Is it completely not practiced in Israel? Is there such a thing as a home mortgage? In Argentina there is virtually no such thing, but I'm told it is because the currency is so unstable. Islam is definitely my strong suit, but I hear charging interest on loans is strictly forbidden. I've heard there are ways of getting around that with "rent to own" arrangements.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
January 24th, 2012 at 6:32:40 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

A question for the advanced readers is how does enviar differ from mandar y remitir?



Good question. All i can say is "remitir" is seldomly used. If people understand what it means, it's becasue the word "remitente" means "return address."

Quote:

Olvidé a enviar mi madre una tarjeta para el día de las madres. = I forgot to send my mother a card for mother's day.



Olvidé enviarLE A mi madre...." Otherwise ok.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
January 24th, 2012 at 9:43:12 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Is there such a thing as a home mortgage? In Argentina there is virtually no such thing, but I'm told it is because the currency is so unstable.



Consider a home mortgage for $100,000 @ 8%. Monthly payments would be:
15 years, $955.65
30 years, $733.76
60 years, $672.29
120 years,$666.71
interest only,$666.67

In the USA you would probably fix a mortgage for no longer than 30 years, but sometimes in certain high value loans, you might do "interest only" for 7 years and then have to refinance.

In Japan in the early 1990's they were extending mortgages for 120 years. At first glance it seems ridiculous since the payment was so close to the "interest only" loan. After all 120 years was roughly the entire life of the yen as money. And when it was created in the 1870's it was worth the same as a US dollar, and now it is worth roughly a penny.

In Latin American countries often mortgages are either non-existent or they have very short terms (like 7 years). At some inflation rates, the principle could be worth a fraction of what it was a decade ago. So a mortgage makes no sense.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
January 25th, 2012 at 6:59:47 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Is there such a thing as a home mortgage? In Argentina there is virtually no such thing, but I'm told it is because the currency is so unstable.



I thought they'd fixed their funny money, like Brazil and others did.

In Mexico you can get a bank loan to buy a home, or credit with the home as colalteral. It's called "Hipoteca" or "Credito Hipotecario." I think you can get it for up to 20 years to pay back.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

  • Jump to: