Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 16th, 2011 at 10:22:10 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Here is what I remember.

I do know a bit about it, but I'm too busy at work to go into it in detail.

For now just let me assure you reading the Torah is a major event, carried out only on Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays and some holidays. The prayers are from a prayer book, which does contain some passages from the torah and other parts of the Bible, but is mostly lithurgy written in the XII Century.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
December 16th, 2011 at 5:03:32 PM permalink
About the hazard pay -- agreed.

I will definitely do that Crown Heights tour my next time in New York. That is exactly the kind of thing I enjoy. Thanks for suggesting it.

One my my favorite ways to annoy my Jewish friends is to ask why they wear necklaces with the pi symbol, and where can I buy one. I'll be sure to ask the tour guide that.

Okay, we seem to be talking more about religion than Spanish, which is fine, but let me introduce two new words.

Linda: estrella = star.
Feo: vomitar = to vomit.

Ejemplo time

Se puede ver mucha estrellas en una noche clara. = One can see lots of stars on a clear night.

Cuando estuve en Perú, vomitó luego de ver carne de coballo en la carta. = When I was in Peru, I vomited after I saw guinea pig meat on the menu.

Note 1: I'm going with coballo, because I established that is what they call them in Argentina, and Peru is at least in the same continent.

Note 2: Paco may not put up any pictures relating to my second ejemplo. I'm serious.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 16th, 2011 at 5:37:05 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I won't post a picture of food that some people may find offensive, but for the gourmets look up escamoles.

You will notice that last time I left a reference to escamoles instead of a photo in deference to the faint of heart.

Me comprometo a no publicar más fotos de la comida exótica.

Watch Andrew Zimmern bizarre foods (only crabs in this photo).

Get ready for your church service:

En el principio Dios creó los cielos y la tierra.
La tierra estaba sin orden y vacía, y las tinieblas cubrían la superficie del abismo, y el Espíritu de Dios se movía sobre la superficie de las aguas.

Nareed, would you use "la superficie" or "faz" ?
Nareed
Nareed
December 16th, 2011 at 7:50:48 PM permalink

About the hazard pay -- agreed.

Good. I'll make you regret it :)

Quote:

I will definitely do that Crown Heights tour my next time in New York.

Do not wear shorts on the Sabbath. In fact, do not wear shorts at all (I'm not sure about sleeves). If you go with a woman, make sure she wears a floor- or ankle-length skirt, not slacks.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 16th, 2011 at 8:01:07 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Do not wear shorts on the Sabbath. In fact, do not wear shorts at all (I'm not sure about sleeves). If you go with a woman, make sure she wears a floor- or ankle-length skirt, not slacks.

Thanks for the warning. I usually dress like this when I travel.

At the crypt of Evita.

My date Lisa was going to go like this:
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
December 16th, 2011 at 9:41:34 PM permalink
I do not see my post as a hijack, I just want to add some curiosity about Virgin Mary from the Brazilian perspective. We are a major catholic country and the Saint of our country is Holly Mary "the shown"

It is said that this image of our "Black Virgin Mary" was found by fishers in a lake that was going out of fishes after decades of exploitation. Suddenly, after they have found the image and built a chapel in its honor, the lake recovered and they started catching lots of fish again, twice the amount they were used to.

This story comes from a town in the state of São Paulo, called Aparecida do Norte. A picture of the basilic where the image is kept is above, this place receives millions of pilgrims every year from all over the world :

No bounce, no play.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 16th, 2011 at 9:49:41 PM permalink

There is an Orthodox Shul on 2640 Regatta Drive. They would probably be very happy to give you some reading material and talk with you.
I don't know if the Rabbi can eat lunch with you at a kosher restaurant. The orthodox Jews at work never ate with us, but it may have just been because of the cafeteria or the restaurants.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 16th, 2011 at 10:21:06 PM permalink
Quote: aluisio

I do not see my post as a hijack, I just want to add some curiosity about Virgin Mary from the Brazilian perspective. We are a major catholic country and the Saint of our country is Holly Mary "the shown"

No, welcome to the SWD. We're very known for going off topic around here and nobody gets upset about it. Probably because I'm always the cause of it and, well, I'm the top banana around here. Thanks for sharing about the Virgin's Mary's favorite spot in Brazil. If I'm ever in Sao Paolo I'll definitely go there.

I know y'all speak Portuguese in Brazil, but how is your Spanish?
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
December 17th, 2011 at 4:06:06 AM permalink
Thanks, this seems to be a really busy topic! Well, Portuguese is actually the official language in Brazil, but it is mandatory in Brazil for schools to teach one foreign language that can be spanish or english during high school (3 eyars). Most schools, including public schools, teach spanish because of Mercosul, that is something near to Nafta.
I dont think that two hours a week for three years will provide you fluency in any idiom, but this is enough study to make almost every teenager in Brazil - since early 90's - at least comfortable with Spanish and prepared to travel to Peru, Argentina, Chile, etc.
Luckly I went to a school where they had spanish and english, and later I had the opportunity to travel as in interchange student to the U.S, Argentina and Peru.
No bounce, no play.
Nareed
Nareed
December 17th, 2011 at 6:04:12 AM permalink

Thanks for the warning. I usually dress like this when I travel.

I know. It's part of your charm.

But it won't do to rile up the natives.

As to your other question, all Jewish prayer services are very similar. There's a prayer book called, in Hebrew, "Sidur" (I transliterate in Spanish, BTW). It does contain passages from the Bible, including the Torah, but as I said it's mostly liturgy written for prayer services. Parts are spoken aloud, parts are done in silence and some parts are sung (especially in Friday night services). The regular prayer book is divided into sections for the different services, including special ones for holidays.

In Orthodox services typically everything is done in Hebrew, without any instructions or directions as, for example, when to stand or what page to turn to. Conservative temples offer directions and do parts in other languages.

You may have noticed a cabinet at one end of the room, with very elaborate doors. This contains the temple's Torahs (no idea why they need more than one). It usually has a curtain behind the doors, too. At various points in the service the curtain is opened, then closed. Don't ask me why.

On the days when the Torah is read, one i taken out of the cabinet, paraded around the temple, then laid out on a table, unscrolled and read. There's a great deal of other ritual involved. Different parts are read according to the date on the Lunar calendar. This happens on Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays, some holidays and the first of each Lunar month. The whole ritual is as close as Judaism gets to idolatry, in contrast with some forms of Christianity which are fairly steeped in it (as if that matters).

Don't ever attend a Saturday morning service, BTW, unless you have a masochistic streak in you. They can last up to three hours or more.

• Jump to: