Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
December 12th, 2011 at 8:55:19 PM permalink
Fea: chirriar (to screech)
Linda: maestra (teacher)

Ejemplo time.

Mi coche está haciendo un ruido chirriante. = My car is making a screeching noise.

La maestra me preguntó a verme después de la clase. = The teacher asked to see me after class.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 12th, 2011 at 9:37:22 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Mi coche está haciendo un ruido chirriante. = My car is making a screeching noise.

That's an odd word. I've heard it, but not in years. I can't say whether your example is right or not, but I've never heard anyone describe a noise in their car like that.

Quote:

La maestra me preguntó a verme después de la clase. = The teacher asked to see me after class.

That one's flat out wrong. "preguntar" does mean "ask," but only in the context of asking questions (actually you cannot say "ask questions" in Spanish without making it a pleonasm), not in the sense of making a request. You also don't quite resues to see someone in Spanish.

"La maestra me PIDIÓ wue me quedara despues de la clase" = "The teacher asked me to remain after class."

"La maestra dijo que quiere verme despues de la clase" = "The teacher told me she wants to see me after class."

Quite often English is more sparing of verbiage.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 13th, 2011 at 4:13:27 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

"La maestra me PIDIÓ wue me quedara despues de la clase" = "The teacher asked me to remain after class."

Sólo le pido a Dios
Cubierta por Shakira; cancion de por León Gieco

The English words you are using might possibly be too complex. We can cooperate together. If you stick to basic fundamentals, we will try to integrate together our sentences. Irregardless, we may not be able to entirely eliminate redundant pleonasms.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 13th, 2011 at 12:39:55 PM permalink
Hoy es Martes, which means that Lupe came by. Today I asked her about the Virgin de Guadalupe. Lupe was born on Dec. 12, which is why she was named after la Virgin de Guadalupe. She says almost everybody, male and female, born on Dec 12 in Mexico is named Guadalupe. Is this true?

One thing I don't understand is, according to the legend, the Virgin de Guadalupe was a manifestation of the Virgin Mary. However, if this is true, why does it seem to me that she is primarily celebrated in Mexico? I know she appeared in Mexico, but I would think an event of such significance would celebrated by Catholics around the planet.

What is the position of non-Mexican Catholics on her? I've known of Catholics through the years, and not one has ever mentioned her. Hopefully FrG can weigh in on this.

On another topic, Lupe asked me what religion I was and I said "nada." She seemed to not even comprehend how anybody could not believe in god at all, like it was the most radical point of view she had ever encountered.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 13th, 2011 at 1:35:29 PM permalink

She says almost everybody, male and female, born on Dec 12 in Mexico is named Guadalupe. Is this true?

No.

Perhaps many people born on that day are given "Guadalupe" as part of their name, but not almost all. I can certainly tell you beyond any doubt you won't find any Mexican Jews with anything even close to that name, even if they were born on Dec. 12th.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 13th, 2011 at 1:43:53 PM permalink

One thing I don't understand is, according to the legend, the Virgin de Guadalupe was a manifestation of the Virgin Mary. However, if this is true, why does it seem to me that she is primarily celebrated in Mexico? I know she appeared in Mexico, but I would think an event of such significance would celebrated by Catholics around the planet.

What is the position of non-Mexican Catholics on her? I've known of Catholics through the years, and not one has ever mentioned her. Hopefully FrG can weigh in on this.

On another topic, Lupe asked me what religion I was and I said "nada." She seemed to not even comprehend how anybody could not believe in god at all, like it was the most radical point of view she had ever encountered.

Guadalupe was neither the first nor the last Marian apparition. Before her came The Virgin of Almudena s a medieval icon of the Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus Christ. The image is the advocation of the Virgin that serves as a patroness of Madrid, Spain. In France is the famous Lady of Lourdes who revealed herself to Saint Bernadette Soubirous. Our Lady of Fátimais the name given to the Blessed Virgin Mary as she appeared in apparitions reported by three shepherd children at Fátima in Portugal.

Catholics believe they're all the same Virgin Mary and have been deemed "worth of belief". However, because they're private revelations, only those who recieved them are required to believe in them. "Regular" Catholics are not. If they make you uncomfortable, you don't have to pray to her as "Our Lady of Lourdes" or "Our lady of Guadalupe". However, these visions have been deemed acceptable.

Generally, Catholics believe that Mary appears and communicates with the world for the salvation of souls. And that she can change her clothes, title, etc. to match both the time, culture, and specific purpose of her message.

I don't know if there is an official list, but I doubt it. There are dozens of virgins in Mexico alone. There is no official list of saints either, but there are over 10,000 names. I am not sure why there is not a list because the pope must approve a new saint.

I should state that I am not Catholic, so I will be happy to be corrected if I am misrepresent anything.

Our Lady of San Juan de los Lagos gets 7 to 9 million visitors per year (near Guadalajara) and is probably the 2nd most popular virgin in Mexico.

Most, of these virgins have a physical embodiment, a cornstak or wooden statue, or an image imprinted on cloth. In most cases the image was not made by men, but given to someone (often by Mary herself). The virgin in Oaxaca City (Señora de la Soledad) amazingly survived the massive earthquake in the 1920's. Many other of the icons have similar stories of surviving fires, earthquakes, or war. They are all preserved with care since they are very old physical objects. I do not know what is the theology if one of them should be destroyed. I also have never heard of a virgin who made an appearance, and all the statues and paintings are acknowledged to be man made.

Basically, I am not sure if there is a one to one connection between an apparition and a supernaturally crafted physical icon.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 13th, 2011 at 1:51:36 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I don't know if there is an official list, but I doubt it. There are dozens of virgins in Mexico alone.

Pero, me gustan listas oficiales. Are you saying all of the dozens of virgins in Mexico are all the Virgin Mary? If so, why is the one from Guadalupe more famous than the others?

I thought the Vatican was supposed to be organized about such things. I'd like to see a list of every confirmed sighting of the Virgin Mary since she died, assuming she did.
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 13th, 2011 at 2:05:24 PM permalink

Pero, me gustan listas oficiales. Are you saying all of the dozens of virgins in Mexico are all the Virgin Mary? If so, why is the one from Guadalupe more famous than the others?

I thought the Vatican was supposed to be organized about such things. I'd like to see a list of every confirmed sighting of the Virgin Mary since she died, assuming she did.

why is the Virgin of Lourdes more famous than the dozens of Marian apparitions in Europe? Lourdes has more hotel rooms than any other city in France, except Paris?

I thought you would want to see a list, but I don't know of any. Perhaps the father can comment. I would think there would be a list of saints as well.

There is an official list of popes.

Mary was assumed into heaven, body and soul. There is some debate about whether she died or not.

====================
Protestant viewpoint:

Mary is an important figure in the bible, and the virgin birth is part of the core beliefs. But the only person in the bible accounts who was assumed into heaven body and soul was Elijah, in the Old Testament. Much of the Catholic beliefs about Mary were acquired centuries after the bible was written. As the worship of goddesses is part of many religions, some skeptics believe that Catholicism simply adopted parts of Goddess religion to Christianity.

Protestants tend to venerate Mary strictly as the mother of Jesus who was chosen for the virgin birth. That is still saying a lot, but it doesn't include the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption of Mary upon her death.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 13th, 2011 at 2:17:28 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Protestants tend to venerate Mary strictly as the mother of Jesus who was chosen for the virgin birth. That is still saying a lot, but it doesn't include the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption of Mary upon her death.

Don't they also differ on whether Mary stayed a virgin after Jesus' birth? Doesn't the bible say Jesus had brothers and sisters? If so, how do Catholics explain their maternity?
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 13th, 2011 at 4:56:36 PM permalink

Don't they also differ on whether Mary stayed a virgin after Jesus' birth? Doesn't the bible say Jesus had brothers and sisters? If so, how do Catholics explain their maternity?

I think he had four brothers. Catholics believe they were half brothers from a prior marriage of Joseph, or that people confuse the Aramaic or Greek words for brother and cousin, Protestants do not necessarily believe that Mary remained a Virgin her entire life.

You really need to get the father to weigh in. He should be more versed in details than me.

• Jump to: