Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 12th, 2011 at 3:00:25 AM permalink
I suspect you have a typo. The verb creer means "to believe". You meant to use crecer which means "to grow", although I think cultivar is a better choice.

The DRAE defines crecer when said about organic things: "Tomar aumento natural", which makes me think the verb is exclusively for "natural growth", as opposed to "cultivated growth".
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 12th, 2011 at 8:00:55 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Este zanahoria se cree crece cultiva perfectamente. = This carrot was grown perfectly.

"estA Zanahoria se culitivÓ perfectamente."

Your version says "this carrot IS grown..."

You can also say "estA zanahoria CRECIÓ perfectamente." = "This carrot grew perfectly."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
December 12th, 2011 at 8:11:10 AM permalink
I think I brought this up before, but I'm still confused by who exactly is the Virgin Guadalupe. I bring it up today because, as the legend goes, on Dec. 12, 1531 she appeared to a peasant named Juan Diego and asked him to build a church in her honor in that spot, located in Mexico City (sorry I didn't make it there). Lupe, my housekeeper on Tuesdays, says she is the same person as the Virgin Mary. However, if she is the same person, why does she have two names? And how do we know she is the Virgin Mary?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
December 12th, 2011 at 8:57:38 AM permalink

However, if she is the same person, why does she have two names?

It might ease your confussion to know she's not known as la Virgen Guadalupe, but rather la Virgen DE Guadalupe. As far as I know the only "virgin" of consequence in Christianity is Mary.

Quote:

And how do we know she is the Virgin Mary?

Would god's mother lie to you? :P
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 12th, 2011 at 9:20:01 AM permalink

I think I brought this up before, but I'm still confused by who exactly is the Virgin Guadalupe. I bring it up today because, as the legend goes, on Dec. 12, 1531 she appeared to a peasant named Juan Diego and asked him to build a church in her honor in that spot, located in Mexico City (sorry I didn't make it there). Lupe, my housekeeper on Tuesdays, says she is the same person as the Virgin Mary. However, if she is the same person, why does she have two names? And how do we know she is the Virgin Mary?

She is the same person as Virgin Mary, but the virgin has appeared in many forms over the centuries. Catholics believe in the Assumption of Mary who was taken bodily taking into Heaven at the end of her life. She can appear in different corporeal forms (called likenesses) when needed. The assumption is infallible dogma and cannot be disputed by a Catholic.

Following the Spanish Conquest in 151921 a temple of the mother-goddess Tonantzin at Tepeyac outside Mexico City was destroyed and a chapel dedicated to the Virgin built on the site. Newly converted Indians continued to come from afar to worship there. The object of their worship, however, was equivocal, as they continued to address the Virgin Mary as Tonantzin.

But after the Virgin Mary appeared to Juan Diego, and gave him her likeness pressed onto a cloth, the mass conversion of the indigenous people began in earnest. It was the most widespread, and most effective conversion campaign in all of Catholic history.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 12th, 2011 at 9:55:57 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

It might ease your confussion to know she's not known as la Virgen Guadalupe, but rather la Virgen DE Guadalupe.

Okay, thanks, but then where is Guadalupe?
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 12th, 2011 at 10:58:04 AM permalink

Okay, thanks, but then where is Guadalupe?

One etymology says that Guadalupe, or Guadeloupe was originally a Nahuatl word that, as the legend says, the Virgin Mary said to Juan Diego when he ask her who she was This Aztec word was originally Coatlaxopeuh, which means "The one (female) that defeat the snake".
The actual vision occurred in 1531 and Juan Diego died in 1548 (age 73). He was cannonized in 2002, the first native American to be made a saint.

Another etymology says that Guadalupe was a word that came from Spain. Guadi comes from arabic Wadi وادي which is a dry stream bed. Lupe is from the Latin lupus for wolf. So it means "wolf-river valley". Wolves may have roamed as far south as the Valley of Mexico, but have long since been driven to extinction by human hunters.

Villa de Guadalupe was founded in 1563, 43 years after the conquest. It has long since been absorbed into the Mexico City Federal District urbaniztion. Today it is within the borough of Gustavo A. Madero. It ceased to be called Guadalupe in 1931.

The church is massive, one or possibly the largest churches in the world. It's easy enough to get there by taxi. For any other time of the year besides December, it is an inexpensive place to stay as hotels are built in the vicinity to accommodate pilgrims. If you look on the subway map, on the red line, you will see Villa Guadalupe as one of the stops (northern part of map).

On map software punch in 19° 29.079'N 99° 7.053'W (3.6 air miles from the Zocalo) or closer to 6 miles driving from the airport.
Nareed
Nareed
December 12th, 2011 at 8:03:55 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

If you look on the subway map, on the red line, you will see Villa Guadalupe as one of the stops (northern part of map).

Oh, that's where it is! I really had no idea. I mean, I knew it was up north but not where. Of course I'll probably forget it by tomorrow morning...
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 12th, 2011 at 8:17:01 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Oh, that's where it is! I really had no idea. I mean, I knew it was up north but not where. Of course I'll probably forget it by tomorrow morning...

That will be high on my list of places to see when I get the chance to return to Mexico City. Be warned, should you have the misfortune to be my tour guide.
Nareed
Nareed
December 12th, 2011 at 8:36:27 PM permalink

That will be high on my list of places to see when I get the chance to return to Mexico City. Be warned, should you have the misfortune to be my tour guide.

Oh, I don't mind. With my schedule, you'll have ample time to go gallivanting on your own ;)

• Jump to: