Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 7th, 2011 at 8:18:59 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Why might it not be deseé un deseo?

That's redundant :) it's like saying "subir arriba" or "bajar abajo." It's considered a pleonasm.

When you say "deseé," you imply you've made a wish. You can say "deseé la paz del mundo."

Quote:

Hold down the ALT key and enter 164. I still deseo there were an easier way.

There are two other ways:

Configure the PC to a Spanish keyboard and either:

1) get a Spanish keybaord and plug it in or
2) memorize where the symbols go on a standard US English keyboard.

That may not be easier, though, as such keyboard have many more symbols and substitute the right "alt" key with an "alt gr" key to handle them. Some keys have three symbols on them.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
November 7th, 2011 at 8:48:48 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Hold down the ALT key and enter 164. I still deseo there were an easier way.

Que usted podría desear para una Mac para la Navidad. (That doesn't look quite right, but it felt good to say it.)

On a Mac, type option-n followed by the letter that you want under the tilde. I don't know just which letters are appropriate with a tilde in Spanish and which all letters this Mac technique works with, but it does work at least with ñ and ã.

Yes, I know that just suggesting a machine that has such a simple and "intuitive" solution to this issue will tick off some members of this forum.
Nareed
Nareed
November 7th, 2011 at 9:04:48 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Que usted podría desear para una Mac para la Navidad. (That doesn't look quite right, but it felt good to say it.)

"Usted podría desear una Mac para la Navidad, para su peor enemigo. Pero eso sería un tipo de castigo cruel e inusual."

That looks exactly right.

Pero ¿que tal si dejamos los argumentos de teología para otra parte del foro?
Doc
Doc
November 7th, 2011 at 9:38:47 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Pero ¿que tal si dejamos los argumentos de teología para otra parte del foro?

If the idea of someone wishing for something for Christmas has become a theological discussion, then I'm really glad that I don't read the religion threads on this forum. (For that matter, I don't go for the overtly political ones either, but it's fine for others to have their fun there.)

Alguien parece demasiado delicado.
Nareed
Nareed
November 7th, 2011 at 9:50:52 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

If the idea of someone wishing for something for Christmas has become a theological discussion, then I'm really glad that I don't read the religion threads on this forum. (For that matter, I don't go for the overtly political ones either, but it's fine for others to have their fun there.)

Las discusiones sobre Mac con los devotos acólitos de Apple son acerca de teología. La frase "intuitiva y fácil de usar," es un artículo de fé en su religión.
Doc
Doc
November 7th, 2011 at 9:55:16 AM permalink
Yo no lo sabía.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 7th, 2011 at 9:59:16 AM permalink
Verb question:
Nareed, which one of these phrases is correct?

(1) Busco un libro que sea interesante.
(2) Busco un libro que es interesante.

(A) Que el dolor no me sea indiferente
(B) Que no soy indiferente al dolor
Nareed
Nareed
November 7th, 2011 at 10:16:33 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Verb question:

La segunda.

Quote:

(A) Que el dolor no me sea indiferente
(B) Que no soy indiferente al dolor

It depends what you're trying to say. Both phrases are correct, unlike the other example where one phrase is wrong.

A) That I may not be indifferent to pain
B) I am not indifferent to pain.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
November 7th, 2011 at 10:18:29 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

If I may chime in, I would have guessed Busque un libro que sea interesante. I normally wouldn't have even thought to use the subjunctive tense, but since you give the hint, I thought it was appropriate when expressing a desire.

I'm not even sure what the second sentences are trying to say. Something about not being indifferent to pain, but who isn't? Given the choice, I'll always choose to have less of it.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
November 7th, 2011 at 7:24:33 PM permalink
Fecha: 8 de Noviembre, 2011
Estado: Sinaloa
Palabras: Concordia

Today's state is Sinaloa, home of Mazatlán. You might think I would have been there when I went on my Mexican Riviera cruise, but the ship never stopped there.

Today's SWD is concordia, which is a municipality in Sinaloa, and means harmony or agreement.

Ejemplo time.

Todo el mundo estaba en concordia en que Sra. Howell era perezoso y debería ayudar mas seguido en la isla. = Everyone was in agreement that Mrs. Howell was lazy, and should help out on the island more often.

This brings up a common Spanish idiom. Todo el mundo does not necessarily mean "everyone in the whole world," but rather it just means "everybody," as in everybody concerned with whatever is topic is. We may have discussed this before, but it makes me wonder what you do say if you literally mean (sorry Dorothy) "the whole world."
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: