Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
November 1st, 2011 at 6:46:29 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Los pasajeros de la Minnow no podrían quedado no había el barco estrellado al ceboruco. = The passengers of the Minnow would not have been stranded had the boat not crashed in the rocky place.

Quote: Nareed

First, you said "The passengers of the Minnow woulnd't have been able to remain not had the boat crashed on the rocky place."

Next: "Los pasajeros deL Minnow no se habrían quedado varados si el barco no se hubiera estrellado CON el ceboruco."

This introduces a couple of words:

varados = stranded
estrellado = starry or smashed. Any connection? Maybe because when you smash your head you see estrellas.

I'll let you go on the boat's gender, as I know in the US, and other countries in the Anglosphere, all sea vessels are considered to be female (I think all space vessels, too). In Mexico either there's no consensus or it depends on the kind of vessel. "Barco" meaning a ship, is masculine; "lancha" meaning a small boat like a row boat or an outboard or a speed boat, is feminine. So you board EL barco and LA lancha.

I'll add lancha to my collection of words for a small boat in Spanish. I think that makes bote, barca, batel, chalupa, y lancha. My tutor was particular to a specific one, but I can't remember which. There is also a kind of taco at Taco Bell called a chalupa. The shell has a flat bottom, so you can stuff more into it.

Quote:

The expression used is "¿me da mi calaverita?"

I would say that the calaverita isn't the kid's until the adult hands it over. So, why is it "mi" and not "una"? Then again, the MTV slogan used to be "I want my MTV." I guess the "my" in both cases, implies a sense of entitlement. Sin embargo, isn't "me da" equivalent to dame"?

Quote:

A tradition for el día de los muertos is to amke skull-shaped candy, either sugar candy, chocolate or amaranto con miel. I was hoping you'd cause Paco to find out why :)

Okay, Paco, the gauntlet has been thrown, why do they pass out skull-shaped candy on Dia de los Muertos? On Telemundo today they were talking about some kind of special pan for the occasion, but nothing about candy.

Quote:

...but all I know about Nayarit is that it's on the Pacific Ocean coast.

Hmm. It would seem, based on that and the whole theme of late, that Mexican geography is not your strong suit?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 1st, 2011 at 8:23:45 PM permalink

Quote:

A tradition for el día de los muertos is to amke skull-shaped candy, either sugar candy, chocolate or amaranto con miel. I was hoping you'd cause Paco to find out why :)

Okay, Paco, the gauntlet has been thrown, why do they pass out skull-shaped candy on Dia de los Muertos? On Telemundo today they were talking about some kind of special pan for the occasion, but nothing about candy.

Hmm. It would seem, based on that and the whole theme of late, that Mexican geography is not your strong suit?

Dia de Los Muertos is huge in Oaxaca, and in the Southern states in general. The cemetery is packed with people all night long, strolling around and looking at the incredibly elaborate displays. The sugar art was merely an economical way of creating the Catholic sculptures that the indigenous people couldn't afford on their own. The special bread is everywhere as well.

A core 30% of the population of Mexico lives in the following states (which together add up to a region the size of Iowa). That is about 34 million people.
Federal District, México, Puebla, Queretaro, Tlaxcala and Morelos.

I can honestly say I have only ever met one Mexican who has traveled everywhere in the country, and she took a job as an airline attendant so that she could do that. Most people do not do an extensive amount of travel. I met a 23 year old med student in Oaxaca who had never been to the state capital of Puebla, only about 4 hours away by bus. While that would not be unusual for an indigenous man who makes a few dollars a day, I was shocked that an educated young man would never make a trip that would not even require an overnight stay.

Quote: Pan de Muertos

ingredientes

5 - 6 tazas de harina
1 / 2 taza de azúcar
2 paquetes de levadura seca
1 cucharadita de sal
1 cucharada de semillas de anís
1 / 2 taza de leche
1 / 2 taza de agua
1 / 2 taza de mantequilla
4 huevos

instrucciones

En un tazón grande, combine 1-1/2 tazas de harina, levadura, sal, semillas de anís y azúcar. Mezclar bien.
En una sartén pequeña, calentar la leche, el agua y la mantequilla casi a punto de ebullición.
Remueva el líquido caliente en la mezcla seca hasta que esté bien mezclado.
Mezclar los huevos y añadir la harina restante poco a poco como sea necesario hasta obtener una masa suave y no pegajosa
Amasar la masa sobre una tabla enharinada unos diez minutos.
Coloque la masa en un tazón ligeramente engrasado en un ambiente cálido.
Cúbralo para evitar que se sequen.
Cerca del nivel del mar, la masa debe aumentar alrededor de 1-1/2 hora hasta que haya doblado su tamaño.
Retire la masa del tazón y la prensa en una forma circular, de añadir más formas moldeadas o esculpidas de los huesos, o un cráneo, en la parte superior.
Deje que el pan crezca esculpidas durante una hora adicional.
Precaliente el horno a 350 ° F. Hornee por 40 minutos, hasta que estén doradas.
Después de la cocción, espolvorear ligeramente con azúcar en polvo cubierto con azúcar de colores
(que puede ser rociado en hacer un diseño).
También puede agregar un esmalte (ver abajo), que le ayudará a mantener el azúcar en su lugar.

Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 1st, 2011 at 8:43:13 PM permalink
Did I miss an explanacion of dia de los muertes? I've always related since el segundo de Noviembre es mi cumplianos, but I've never bothered to find out what it really was. Election Day just sounded so dull, so I ran with Day of the Dead instead ;) Is it basically just another Halloween?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 1st, 2011 at 8:47:20 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I met a 23 year old med student in Oaxaca who had never been to the state capital of Puebla, only about 4 hours away by bus. While that would not be unusual for an indigenous man who makes a few dollars a day, I was shocked that an educated young man would never make a trip that would not even require an overnight stay.

I must confeso that I have never done more than pass through Sacramento and Carson City, states where I have spent 78% of my life.

Quote: Face

Did I miss an explanacion of dia de los muertes? I've always related since el segundo de Noviembre es mi cumplianos, but I've never bothered to find out what it really was. Election Day just sounded so dull, so I ran with Day of the Dead instead ;) Is it basically just another Halloween?

My housekeeper spoke about that for a while today. Much like in China, there seems to be more of a sense of connection to the dead in Mexico than in this country. From time to time you're supposed to put food and beverages that the deceased liked at his memorial, but is practically mandatory to do it on las días de los muertos. My housekeeper seemed really regret that she couldn't place anything on the memorial for her mother back in Mexico, to the point that she was half way to tears.

I'm more familiar with the customs in China. There they believe, according to my understanding, that the souls of the dead can move between earth and "hell." They generally stir up trouble if they are wandering around earth, so the living prefer to keep them in "hell," which is how they translate the Chinese term for the afterlife. It helps to keep them there to burn a special kind of money in their honor. If you do, they get to spend it in hell, keeping them happy there for a while. You can usually find this, what I would call "play money," in stores that sell Chinese stuff.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 1st, 2011 at 9:05:32 PM permalink

estrellado = starry or smashed. Any connection? Maybe because when you smash your head you see estrellas.

Crashed or smashed. It may be used for starry, too, but I've never heard it that way. BTW Fried eggs are called huevos estrellados.

Quote:

I'll add lancha to my collection of words for a small boat in Spanish. I think that makes bote, barca, batel, chalupa, y lancha. My tutor was particular to a specific one, but I can't remember which.

Balsa? That means raft. And as far as I know it has no connection with balsa wood.

Quote:

I would say that the calaverita isn't the kid's until the adult hands it over. So, why is it "mi" and not "una"? Then again, the MTV slogan used to be "I want my MTV." I guess the "my" in both cases, implies a sense of entitlement. Sin embargo, isn't "me da" equivalent to dame"?

Absolutely right. I can totally picture you arguing the point with a street kid, too :)

I don't know what to tell you, though, that's how kids ask for candy. At Christmas it's "¿Me da mi Navidad?" Since usually this comes from street kids, and they do phrase it as a question, I see it as a request.

Quote:

I don't get it. I even checked. Nayarit is on the coast, on the side of the Pacific Ocean.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
November 1st, 2011 at 9:11:55 PM permalink

Did I miss an explanacion of dia de los muertes? I've always related since el segundo de Noviembre es mi cumplianos

Explicación
Día de los Muertos
Cumpleaños

I don't quite know what it is. I know the locals visit cemeteries and bring along a very specific flower, food and music players or even hire bands. I don't really want to know.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 1st, 2011 at 9:28:23 PM permalink

I don't get it. I even checked. Nayarit is on the coast, on the side of the Pacific Ocean.

Lo siento, I didn't mean to imply you were in error. Never mind.
Nareed
Nareed
November 1st, 2011 at 9:31:09 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I met a 23 year old med student in Oaxaca who had never been to the state capital of Puebla, only about 4 hours away by bus.

Why would he want to go there?

As for the "bread" it is called "pan" but it's more like dry cake without frosting. I don't know much about it. It's good, but it's covered with granulated sugar on top and I dislike that.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 1st, 2011 at 11:07:57 PM permalink

I think a day to respect to your ancestors that is touched with just a little fear of them coming back is fairly basic to most cultures. Concern with geneology is in some of the oldest texts written by man. They have days in Japan, China, Korea, India, and pre-conquest Mexico. Like all things Mexican, the Catholic church simply adapted them to the new faith. The Day of the Dead became All Saint's Day, but retained most of the traditions.

Certainly, the one thing you can say about the birth of Jesus is it didn't happen in December. It's cold in Bethlehem, and shepherds would not be watching over their sheep at night. Most ministers say "This is the Day we choose to celebrate the birth of Jesus" since it is pretty clearly an adaptation of the Winter solstice.

All of the other traditions, like yule logs, Christmas trees, Christmas wreaths, etc. were all adaptations from pagan religion.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 2nd, 2011 at 5:53:57 AM permalink
Fecha: 2 de Noviembre, 2011
Estado: Nuevo_León
Palabra: Arroyo

Nuevo Leon is an arid state bordering Texas. Supongo que se llamada de la ciudad León in España. For the word of the day I had to look at the map and found a city called Arroyo, which means steam stream. So, now I now what Arroyo Grande means, a city in central California.

I originally omitted the r in stream, and thought arroyo meant steam, before Nareed's correction below. So, that is why the ejemplo refers to steam and not a stream. Lo siento.

Ejemplo time.

El Professor debe haciendo un experimento ciencia, porque hay arroyo saliendo de la laguna. = The Professor must be doing a science experiment, because there is steam coming out of the lagoon.

• Jump to: