Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 26th, 2011 at 8:25:46 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Sounds like my mother. She always made me drink a lot of cough syrup whenever I was sick.

It seems there were more medications in syrup form back then. It's amazing how they could make them taste so bad, too.

Quote:

Why the le? We have already established what I'm afraid of, so the "le" seems redundant.

I don't know exactly. If you leave it out, you're saying "I fear the bottle." A similar phrase would be: "Respeto a Stanford Wong y le tengo mucho afecto" = "I respect Stanford Wong and I have a great deal of affection for him."

I used this example because you got mentioned in Bob Dancer's latest column at LVA.

Quote:

Also, why didn't you put lo?

Beats me. Remember grammar and I aren't on speaking terms. but "lo" would be wrong.

Quote:

Then why do they translate Santa Claus into Papá Noel? Isn't Santa Claus a name?

In Mexico he's known as Santa Clos. Actually the spelling is often "Claus," but given the choice most people will spell it "clos." There's a brand of bubbly apple cider sold only around the holidays called "Sidra Santa Claus," even.

Spaniards, and others, do translate names. I think it's a bad habit.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
October 26th, 2011 at 9:10:06 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

In Mexico he's known as Santa Clos. Actually the spelling is often "Claus," but given the choice most people will spell it "clos."

Mas información de Papá Noel.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 27th, 2011 at 10:56:11 PM permalink
Fecha: 28 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: México
Palabra: petardo

New York Giants.

Yes, Mexico has a stated called Mexico. It must be very confusing for those who live there trying to explain where they are from. I can imagine the conversaion:

Juan: Donde estas vives?
Jose: Mexico.
Juan: Que estado?
Jose: Mexico.
Juan: Creo que vives in el pais de Mexico. Pregunté sobre el estado.
Jose: Mexico, Mexico.
Juan: Oí el tiempo primero.

Then again, we have our own island of Hawaii in the state of Hawaii, so I shouldn't poke too much fun.

Anyway, the city of Tultepec in Mexico, Mexico is famoso for fireworks (petardos), which is our SWD.

Ejemplo time.

Soy trayendo a quedar despierto por los petardos a la medianoche. = I'm trying to stay awake for the fireworks at midnight.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 28th, 2011 at 12:17:18 AM permalink
Hidalgo - Miami Dolphins.

Sorry. As a fan of the team and this thread, I couldn't just let it go nor leave the trend incomplete... =(

(feel free to bust this after you see it....)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 6:39:07 AM permalink

Yes, Mexico has a stated called Mexico.

It could be worse.

As you know, the capital is called Mexico City. In the times when Spain owned a colony here, which BTW was called New Spain rather than Mexico, Mexico City was the capital of what is now the state of Mexico. After independence we imitated the US model of having the capital separate from any state, so Mex City was carved out of Mexico State. if you look at a map, Mex city is sorrounded on three sides by Mexico State.

Oh, yeah, the current capital of the state of Mexico is Toluca, which is about 40 minutes away from my house, just past the outlet mall at Lerma.

Quote:

Then again, we have our own island of Hawaii in the state of Hawaii, so I shouldn't poke too much fun.

I hear tell there's a Kansas City in Kansas, too.

Quote:

Anyway, the city of Tultepec in Mexico, Mexico is famoso for fireworks (petardos), which is our SWD.

Petardo is a kind of firework. Something like a generic thing that goes boom. For fireworks, especially the kind you launch high in the air, the common term is "coehetes," which actually means "rockets." The formal term for fireworks is "fuegos pirotécnicos." That's odd, since the prefix "piro," means fire, so you geta pleonasm there. The expression "JUEGOS pirotécnicos" si also used. I dont' know which one is right.

Cohetes is the common term, and it applies to things that don't fly and/or don't burst with sparks. There are many that just sit there and go boom, though those aren't used in fireworks displays. The exception are sparklers, which are known as "Luces de Bengala." I suppose the latter is a reference to Bengal in India, but I can't say why.

Quote:

Soy trayendo a quedar despierto por los petardos a la medianoche. = I'm trying to stay awake for the fireworks at midnight.

As the kids say today "major fail, man," or however kids say these things. Sorry.

"Trayendo" means "bringing." And you used the wrong verb by chosing "soy". You actually said "I be bringing to remain awake for the fireworks at midnight." :)

"ESTOY TRATANDO de quedarme despierto PARA los cohetes a la medianoche."

That's more right, but the real proper way to say this would be "Estoy tratando de permancer despierto para los coehetes a la medianoche."

Finally I'm not sure "medianoche" is one word, or whether it should be "media noche."

And for trivia, "Medias Noches" (and that's the correct spelling, I'm 100% sure) are the name given to hot dog buns in Mexico. No, I don't know why.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 7:47:24 AM permalink

Juan: Oí el tiempo primero.

Missed it.

That's not right. You'd say "Te oí la primera vez." meaning "I heard you the first time."

The problem, I think, lies in English. "Time" means both ocassion or ocurrence and the passage of seconds, days, etc. In Spanish it doesn't.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 7:50:50 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Black?

Quote:

Sorry. As a fan of the team and this thread, I couldn't just let it go nor leave the trend incomplete... =(

My condolences. I hope you'll find a new coach soon. Hopefully one who understands gimmicks are not an offense. I've heard there's interest in Bill Cowher. Of course he'll do a good job, he is a former Steeler, but no coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two teams. Just sayin'.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 28th, 2011 at 9:20:13 AM permalink

I hear tell there's a Kansas City in Kansas, too.

Not to mention:
Oklahoma City, OK
New York City, NY
Iowa City, IA

Cohetes is the common term, and it applies to things that don't fly and/or don't burst with sparks. There are many that just sit there and go boom, though those aren't used in fireworks displays. The exception are sparklers, which are known as "Luces de Bengala." I suppose the latter is a reference to Bengal in India, but I can't say why.

Here in Clark County you can only by the cohetes. If you want anything that is meant to be airborne you have to head to Nye County. You can visit a brothel while you're there.

"Trayendo" means "bringing."

Yeah. Tengo vergüenza por eso.

And for trivia, "Medias Noches" (and that's the correct spelling, I'm 100% sure) are the name given to hot dog buns in Mexico. No, I don't know why.

Maybe the word for croissant in Spanish, media luna gives us a clue. Maybe if you opened the bun, and looked at it with the bun pointing towards your oyos, it would appear like the moon.

Quote: Face

(feel free to bust this after you see it....)

New rule. Every post in the SWD must contain at least one Spanish word, or some sort of educational remark about the language itself. The future punishment for breaking this rule will be to write three different sentences in Spanish containing the last Spanish Word of the Day itself.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
October 28th, 2011 at 9:26:04 AM permalink

Maybe if you opened the bun, and looked at it with the bun pointing towards your oyos, it would appear like the moon.

Are you suggesting that if someone were to point their buns at you, it would be like looking at a moon?

Edit: Wizard, you modified your last post (adding a new rule) while I was posting this. And you didn't even admit it was a late edit. Unfair! I'll postpone a critique of your trickery to mañana.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
October 28th, 2011 at 9:29:59 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Are you suggesting that if someone were to point their buns at you, it would be like looking at a moon?

¡Sí! And we have our first violator of the regla nueva! You owe me three sentences in Spanish containing any form of a word for firecracker young man.

p.s. I saw you edit your post adding manaña after I posted mine. Okay, what would Jesus do? I think he would still make you write three sentences, but they don't have to be entirely en Español. Just at least one Spanish word in each sentence, and you can't repeat the same word.

• Jump to: