Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
October 23rd, 2011 at 9:00:08 PM permalink
Fecha: 24 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Guanajuato
Palabra: cañada

Green Bay Packers, por supuesto!

Guanajuato is a state in central Mexico. It was not easy finding a good SWD of the day for the state, so I looked at the map, and stumbled upon cañada. I thought it might mean maple syrup, beaver, or igloo, but it actually means cattle trail.

Ejemplo time.

Despues siguindo este cañada, me encontró un viejo amigo. = After following this cattle trail, I found a longtime friend.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 23rd, 2011 at 9:30:03 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Guanajuato is a state in central Mexico. It was not easy finding a good SWD of the day for the state,

Proof you've never been there. if you had, you'd have picked "momia."

Quote:

Despues siguindo este cañada, me encontró un viejo amigo. = After following this cattle trail, I found a longtime friend.

You actually said, typos aside, "After following this cattle trail, an old friend found me."

So: "Despues DE SEGUIR esta cañada, me encontrÉ a un viejo amigo."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 24th, 2011 at 5:38:16 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Proof you've never been there. if you had, you'd have picked "momia."

A couple of the group of momias temporarily emigrated from Guanajuato and went to Chicago a few years ago.

President GW Bush broke tradition and pointedly made his first international visit in 2001 not to Canada (the real Canada, not La Cañada), but to Guanajuato. He went to Vicente Fox's ranch for the first ever cowboy summit where he was presented with a beautiful new pair of exotic boots from the Country of Mexico.

La Cañada, Flintridge, is an affluent suburb of Los Angeles.
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2011 at 6:51:36 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

A couple of the group of momias temporarily emigrated from Guanajuato and went to Chicago a few years ago.

Ins't it gross? Anyway, thinking more on it, there's the state of Guanajuato and the city of the same name. The mummies are in the city. The state itself is known for three products: strawberries, cajeta and shoes/boots.

Quote:

(the real Canada, not La Cañada),

Are the words even related?

Cañada is also the space between two pieces of land at different heights (so the dictionary says), I guess something like a ravine.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 24th, 2011 at 12:38:33 PM permalink

La Cañada, Flintridge, is an affluent suburb of Los Angeles.

I knew I heard of La Cañada somewhere. I've probably heard it mentioned a thousands times in traffic reports when I used to in the LA area.

Speaking of GWB, I know he claimed to speak Spanish, but how well did he know the language? In the movie W there was a scene of him speaking with a wounded soldier en Español and it sounded about at my level -- perhaps even lower.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 24th, 2011 at 2:11:08 PM permalink
Canada is a derivation of the Iroquois word "Kanata", meaning village or settlement.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 24th, 2011 at 5:52:40 PM permalink

Speaking of GWB, I know he claimed to speak Spanish, but how well did he know the language?

George W. Bush Fakin' It
George was studying Spanish while Al Gore was inventing the internet. But Bill Clinton claimed he understood the concept of e-mail, although he didn't actually do it.
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2011 at 5:57:23 PM permalink

But Bill Clinton claimed he understood the concept of e-mail, although he didn't actually do it.

He must have inhaled.

But of course, it depends on what the definition of the word "is" is.

For good measure: "I am not a crook"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 25th, 2011 at 7:21:25 AM permalink
Fecha: 25 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Guerrero
Palabra: cueva

Jacksonville Jaguars.

Today's state is Guerrero. It lays along the west coast and is home to Acapulco. This is one of the states I have been to, on a cruise ship stop. The quintessential touristy thing to do in Acapulco is see the cliff divers.

The SWD is cueva, for the many caves in Guerrero. The most famous are in Grutas de Cacahuamilpa National Park. This brings up a related word, gruta = grotto.

Ejemplo time.

A atardecer, muchos murciélagos vuelen fuera de la cueva. = At sunset, lots of bats fly out of the cave.
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2011 at 7:28:31 AM permalink

Jacksonville Jaguars.

Not in 1975...

Quote:

The SWD is cueva, for the many caves in Guerrero. The most famous are in Grutas de Cacahuamilpa National Park. This brings up a related word, gruta = grotto.

Really? I thought they were in Morelos. But then morelos is so small you can step out of it if you move :)

Quote:

A atardecer, muchos murciélagos vuelen fuera de la cueva. = At sunset, lots of bats fly out of the cave.

"aL atardecer muchos murciélagos vuelAn furea de la cueva." Otherwise you did fine.

• Jump to: