3 votes (23.07%)

13 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1317
October 1st, 2019 at 5:45:18 PM permalink
Goldeneye

Here is the baccarat/chemin de fer scene in Goldeneye.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXbR5O86zcY

As you can see from the clip, the game is verbally referred to as baccarat, but the fact that the players had free win in the second hand shows they were playing chemin de fer.

Here is a breakdown of the second hand played:

Bond, as the player, draws a 6.
Woman, as the banker, stands.

Bond's initial two cards were two faces, so he wins 6 over 5.

Hitting with a 5 after the Player draws a 6 is a terrible play, by the way. The odds favor hitting.

Thunderball

Direct: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q6-9rd6-W8

At the 2:09 point in the video above, both players clearly have free will to accept a third card, although the title of the game is never stated.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

In the same video as above, starting at the 4:19 point, we also see the players having free will to take a third card. Again, the name of the game isn't stated.

For Your Eyes Only

Beginning at the 7:30 point is the scene from For Your Eyes Only. Again, the name of the game isn't stated, but the players have free will with a third card. I'd love to analyze the hand played, but they don't show what card the Player got nor his total.
Last edited by: Wizard on Oct 1, 2019
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
October 1st, 2019 at 6:29:39 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

As to the baccarat/chemin de fer issue, I would have definitely gone with baccarat had I been playing. Expecting the average person to know chemin de fer from baccarat is beyond Jeopardy expectations, which is why I would have gone with the more familiar baccarat. Had I been a judge, I would have accepted either. As to what should be the right answer, I would need to re-watch the Bond films where he plays either game. I do recall specifically he was playing chemin de fer in For Your Eyes Only, as evidenced by Bond having free will to hit or stand.

As to "the Mooch," I was surprised too that was accepted without argument. I am not saying it should have been wrong, but Alex should have asked for the actual name. To play the devil's advocate, I've seen FDR accepted in lieu of Franklin Roosevelt, so maybe in some cases they just care that it's clear you know the answer.

I know "The Mooch" but I didn't know the guy's real name.

In defense of 'FDR' those are at least his initials, which is a variation of his name. I guess you could say "The Mooch" is too. Whereas something like "The Gipper" is not.

I wonder if WJC would fly for Clinton, or any other prez who normally doesn't get the initial nickname.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
October 1st, 2019 at 11:28:45 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Quote: Wizard

As to the baccarat/chemin de fer issue, I would have definitely gone with baccarat had I been playing. Expecting the average person to know chemin de fer from baccarat is beyond Jeopardy expectations, which is why I would have gone with the more familiar baccarat. Had I been a judge, I would have accepted either. As to what should be the right answer, I would need to re-watch the Bond films where he plays either game. I do recall specifically he was playing chemin de fer in For Your Eyes Only, as evidenced by Bond having free will to hit or stand.

As to "the Mooch," I was surprised too that was accepted without argument. I am not saying it should have been wrong, but Alex should have asked for the actual name. To play the devil's advocate, I've seen FDR accepted in lieu of Franklin Roosevelt, so maybe in some cases they just care that it's clear you know the answer.

I know "The Mooch" but I didn't know the guy's real name.

In defense of 'FDR' those are at least his initials, which is a variation of his name. I guess you could say "The Mooch" is too. Whereas something like "The Gipper" is not.

I wonder if WJC would fly for Clinton, or any other prez who normally doesn't get the initial nickname.

The fact you didn't know the Mooch's real name shows that he shouldn't have got a pass.

WJC wouldn't fly either. FDR, LBJ, and JFK are the probably the only three Presidents that should be accepted.

I randomly flipped it on last week and finally watched Jason get bounced in Final.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 37
October 7th, 2019 at 11:24:41 PM permalink
Trebek gave a rather sobering interview last Friday on Canadian television. In it he talks of how he's slurring his words and that sores in his mouth from the chemo are making it difficult for him to enunciate. He also talks of how he's had a lucky life and that he's not afraid of dying. Fun stuff. I suppose he'll start appearing in next year's dead pools.

Quick story at Deadline.

Actual interview on CTV...

Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanks for this post from:
Rigondeaux
October 7th, 2019 at 11:56:26 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Trebek gave a rather sobering interview last Friday on Canadian television. In it he talks of how he's slurring his words and that sores in his mouth from the chemo are making it difficult for him to enunciate. He also talks of how he's had a lucky life and that he's not afraid of dying. Fun stuff. I suppose he'll start appearing in next year's dead pools.

Quick story at Deadline.

Actual interview on CTV...

One can only hope they have as much grace and dignity as he is displaying when their time comes.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
October 8th, 2019 at 1:15:58 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

One can only hope they have as much grace and dignity as he is displaying when their time comes.

He's almost 80. Dying rich and famous,
with millions of fans worldwide, there
are worse ways to go. He has a net
worth over $50 million. He has nothing
to be ashamed of.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: