Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 12th, 2015 at 6:44:06 AM permalink
  1. Not counting the extra point or two-point conversion, what the smallest number of points possible in a single score in the NFL?
    One. I'm sure somebody will disagree about the first question. There is such a thing as a one-point safety, and yes, it is possible in the NFL too. For more information please read the article, In Praise of the One-Point Safety, specially the last paragraph.
  2. How many stars are on the New Zealand flag?
    Four
  3. In a game of 9-6 Jacks or Better, what hand pays even money?
    Two pair.
  4. What is the term for the product of a female lion and male tiger?
    Tigon. A liger was a frequently made incorrect answer, which is the product of a female tiger and male lion.
  5. When the Israelites were fleeing Egypt and ran out of food, what food did god provide to them?
    Manna
  6. What is ZIP an acronym for in zip code?
    Zone improvement plan
  7. Who was the longest-lived president?
    Gerald Ford
  8. Which is believed to be Shakespeare's last play?
    The Tempest
  9. In which city and country is the world's tallest building?
    Dubai, United Arab Emerates. (half point for city or country only)
  10. What is this type of bicycle called:
    Penny farthing
  11. Name the six characters in the Village People?
    Cowboy, Indian, cop, biker, sailor, construction worker. Half point for five right.
  12. In Monopoly, how much do you get for winning second prize in the beauty contest?
    $10.
  13. What kind of plane did Snoopy fly in Peanuts?
    Sopwith Camel
  14. What city's airport code is PEK?
    Beijing. Peking was begrudgingly considered correct also.
  15. The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of whom?
    The Virgin Mary. The frequently made answer of Jesus is WRONG.

The winner was Doc, for a second time. I think his score was 7.5. Second place was BeachBumBabs, who is also a previous winner. So the prize, which was a Wizard of Vegas polo shirt, went to DRich. Congratulations D!
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
January 12th, 2015 at 8:37:08 AM permalink
My score was only 6.5, including lucky guesses on questions #2 & #8 and the half point for only getting the city part of #9. Perhaps my major contribution was to tell the Wizard the source/meaning of the answer to #10, which he semi-confirmed later.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 12th, 2015 at 8:52:42 AM permalink
For #10 would this answer have been acceptable?
Highwheeler

If so, I would have gotten 7. These were tough!

Edit: Regarding #3, wouldn't this also be acceptable
A pair of faces or aces? The name of the game is "Jacks or Better" after all.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
January 12th, 2015 at 9:06:54 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I doubt it. The Wizard admitted to being a stickler, and I came REALLY close on some others.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
January 12th, 2015 at 9:11:30 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I doubt it. The Wizard admitted to being a stickler, and I came REALLY close on some others.

Ouch. Which Village People were the most forgotten? I could only recall five, and I am curious if others missed the same one I did.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 12th, 2015 at 9:30:01 AM permalink
I am still disputing #1 and #3.

1) A one point safety can only occur after a touchdown, hence not a single score (I know, semantics).

3) A Jacks or Better machine "pays" even money on a pair of Jacks, Queens, Kings, or Aces. If you bet 1 coin it pays 1 coin. Two pair pays 2 coins for a 1 coin bet. I think if the question had been worded as what hand "wins" even money two pair would be the correct answer.

Wizard, thank you again for the shirt. I think we all appreciate the gatherings and trivia contest.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 12th, 2015 at 11:06:44 AM permalink
I got 7 right if you consider that a penny-farthing
was called a hi-wheeler long before it was called
a PF. I've always called them high wheelers, which
is more correct for when the bike was being used.

"Although the name "penny-farthing" is now the most common, it was probably not used until the machines were nearly outdated"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny-farthing
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 12th, 2015 at 11:15:29 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

"Although the name "penny-farthing" is now the most common, it was probably not used until the machines were nearly outdated"

Some of the answers are easy if you read the DT baord.
Knew the Manna answer simply because it was discussed over at DT as well as the penny-farthing
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 12th, 2015 at 11:22:08 AM permalink

Highwheeler

I never heard of them called that before, and penny farthing lots of times. However, going by the Wikipedia entry, I suppose that should be also considered acceptable.

Quote: DRich

1) A one point safety can only occur after a touchdown, hence not a single score (I know, semantics).

I stand by my answer. The safety itself is not part of the touchdown. Furthermore, I only excluded the extra point and two-point conversion, and the one-point safety is neither of those things. I know I said "single score," but I consider it to be that. I admit it is linked to a touchdown somewhat and the wording could have been better, but I'm not giving credit for anything but one.

Quote:

3) A Jacks or Better machine "pays" even money on a pair of Jacks, Queens, Kings, or Aces. If you bet 1 coin it pays 1 coin. Two pair pays 2 coins for a 1 coin bet. I think if the question had been worded as what hand "wins" even money two pair would be the correct answer.

Protest noted and overruled. I think a bet paying "even money" means to everybody that you win whatever you wagered, including getting your wager returned. That is what happens when you get a two pair.

Quote:

Wizard, thank you again for the shirt. I think we all appreciate the gatherings and trivia contest.

You're welcome and thank you.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2015 at 11:58:49 AM permalink

A ruling please. It was called a hi-wheeler
long before a penny-farthing. Even the bike
expert on American Pickers calls them
hi-wheelers more often than not.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 12th, 2015 at 12:36:16 PM permalink
#1 is incorrect.

The only possible way to score a one-point safety in the NFL is as follows:

NFL Rule 11-3-2-d: "If there is no kick, and the Try results in what would ordinarily be a safety against the defense, one point is awarded to the offensive team."

1. The offense scores a touchdown and goes for the extra point (or two point conversion).

2. Before any kick, the ball comes loose in the field of play, and the defensive team bats or kicks the ball into the end zone and then out of the bounds end zone before possessing it.

Result: a safety on the PAT try, resulting in one point. (successful try)

Since this can only occur on the try after the touchdown, there already are 6 points on the board when this happens.

Also, this only can occur on an extra-point try, and the question says "Not counting the extra point or two-point conversion."
sodawater
sodawater
January 12th, 2015 at 12:39:56 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I stand by my answer. The safety itself is not part of the touchdown. Furthermore, I only excluded the extra point and two-point conversion, and the one-point safety is neither of those things. I know I said "single score," but I consider it to be that. I admit it is linked to a touchdown somewhat and the wording could have been better, but I'm not giving credit for anything but one.

This is absolutely wrong. Your question excludes the extra point and two-point conversion, but the only way to score a 1-point safety is DURING an extra point and two-point conversion. So...?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
January 12th, 2015 at 1:01:53 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

This is absolutely wrong. Your question excludes the extra point and two-point conversion, but the only way to score a 1-point safety is DURING an extra point and two-point conversion. So...?

It is neither an extra point nor a two-point conversion. It is a separate score.

I think it is akin to a fumbled snap during a field goal attempt returned for a touchdown by the defense. It is not considered a continuation of the field goal... It is a separate score.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
January 12th, 2015 at 1:17:28 PM permalink
I still disagree with #3.I think most people would say a pair of J,Q,K or Aces.
It was a fun quiz though thanks.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
sodawater
sodawater
January 12th, 2015 at 1:19:37 PM permalink

It is neither an extra point nor a two-point conversion. It is a separate score.

I think it is akin to a fumbled snap during a field goal attempt returned for a touchdown by the defense. It is not considered a continuation of the field goal... It is a separate score.

It's absolutely part of the try after the touchdown. By rule that is the only time it can happen.

I mean, the CLOCK IS NOT EVEN RUNNING DURING THE PLAY. It is untimed, like all tries after touchdowns.

Think of it this way...a defensive safety is just an additional way of the offense successfully earning the point after touchdown.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 12th, 2015 at 1:23:33 PM permalink

I am ticked I missed #3 because you don't play JoB long before you realize this business of just 'returning your money'.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 12th, 2015 at 2:04:28 PM permalink

I agree!

Just because it is worth the same number of points as the extra point from a kick doesn't mean it is the same thing. That is like saying that a four of a kind is the same thing as a full house in 99.73% deuces wild, just because they both pay 4 for 1.

I might add that there are already four recent pages of posts about this topic here.

Quote: Hunterhill

I still disagree with #3.I think most people would say a pair of J,Q,K or Aces.

Just because most people would say that doesn't make them right.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 12th, 2015 at 2:31:39 PM permalink
I would have scored 7.5 points as well! But I am also a previous winner (Spring Fling 2014; the Wiz was absent but BBB administered the quiz in his absence). How did this work with 30 people? Seems like the questions would have been hard to hear in a crowded brewpub such as 777.

Here are my answers for those curious:

1) My exact answer which I typed out before looking: "1 point on a 'conversion safety.' Only possible in the NFL on a fumble on a 2-point conversion attempt which is batted out of the end zone. Still goes to the team who was trying to get the 2 pt. conversion though." I agree with the Wizard's ruling on this one, although the semantics are difficult for sure.
1 point

2) 5
0 points

3) I chose the apparently common incorrect answer of "pair of jacks or higher." I agree the semantics on this one are again difficult, but accept the Wizard's ruling
0 points

4) Liger
0 points (damn)

5) Manna
1 point (was raised in a Christian household so this was a gimme)

6) Zone Information Plan
0 points, DAMN IT

7) Jimmy Carter
0 points. Close, but no cigar. Maybe in a few years if he's still alive

8) The Tempest
1 point (this was a wild ass guess, but I'd like to claim some part of my brain remembered it from my college Shakespeare class).

9) Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 point (I was reasonable certain on the city and glad I got the country)

10) Pennyfarthing bicycle
1 point (I only knew this due to my fandom of The Prisoner TV show.

11)
a) Cowboy
b) Biker
c) Indian
d) Sailor
e) Police officer
f) Handyman
0.5 points, and I was close on the last one!

12) $10
1 point

13) Sopwith
0 points, unless this was worth a half?

14) Peking, China
1 point begrudgingly accepted. I was almost certain this was wrong (too obvious) and clearly the Wiz meant for it to be wrong but gave in.

15) Jesus Christ, the son of God
0 points, AHHHHHH!!!! This makes absolutely no sense to me and I can't believe I never learned this. I was raised Protestant though, not Catholic, so I guess it makes sense that I wouldn't know. Especially since Protestants don't venerate Mary.

Again, wish I could have been there! Next time.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 12th, 2015 at 2:39:34 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

How did this work with 30 people? Seems like the questions would have been hard to hear in a crowded brewpub such as 777.

I had to run around and ask small groups at a time. Each question I asked about four or five times. I eliminated one question because it was too long and I knew nobody would get it anyway, unless by lucky guess.

Quote:

15) Jesus Christ, the son of God
0 points, AHHHHHH!!!! This makes absolutely no sense to me and I can't believe I never learned this. I was raised Protestant though, not Catholic, so I guess it makes sense that I wouldn't know. Especially since Protestants don't venerate Mary.

I was surprised by this too when I first learned it. FrG explained in a post about a year ago. Basically, Catholics believe that the Virgin Mary was without sin, including when she was born. I guess this was to lay the way for the birth of Jesus.

I know that this is not the protestant position. That is why I prefaced the question with "According to the doctrine..."
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
January 12th, 2015 at 2:40:51 PM permalink

I agree!

Just because it is worth the same number of points as the extra point from a kick doesn't mean it is the same thing. That is like saying that a four of a kind is the same thing as a full house in 99.73% deuces wild, just because they both pay 4 for 1.

I might add that there are already four recent pages of posts about this topic here.

I guess it's just the wording of the question.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
January 12th, 2015 at 2:41:37 PM permalink
Regarding #15, I learned something new today. Not that I would agree with the dogma, but nonetheless, I have been applying this term in error for a long time.

Thanks Wizard!
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2015 at 2:41:48 PM permalink
Here are the ones I got right.

1) I just guessed

5) Manna

9) Dubai,

10) Hi-Wheeler

11) Got all 6 correct

14) Peking

15) Mary
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 12th, 2015 at 2:49:19 PM permalink

11) Got all 6 correct

I didn't take you for a Village People fan. Which one is your favorite?

EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2015 at 2:53:47 PM permalink

I didn't take you for a Village People fan. Which one is your favorite?

I could never figure why the Indian was
in there. What's macho about being an
Indian. All the rest are macho stereotypes,
except the Indian. Should have had a
pro wrestler or a body builder instead.
sodawater
sodawater
January 12th, 2015 at 2:59:49 PM permalink

I agree!

How is it separate from the PAT if it occurs during the PAT, can only occur during a PAT, and the clock isn't running during the play?

A "safety" during the PAT is worth one point instead of two points because it's actually a successful PAT try.

A "touchdown" during the PAT is worth two points instead of six points because it's actually a successful PAT try.
(Before the NFL allowed the two-point conversion, a "touchdown" during the PAT was worth one point, same as a kick.)

A "field goal" during the PAT is worth one point instead of three points because it's actually a successful PAT try.

If the above doesn't convince you, nothing will.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 12th, 2015 at 3:03:29 PM permalink
I got 7.5 as well: 1, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 15, and half of 9, I knew Dubai but didn't remember that it was in the UAE.

The problem with question 1 is that it isn't worded well; it might be better to say, "Other than the extra point kick, what is the smallest number of points possible on a single score in the NFL?" Then the answer would be correct.
A falling knife has no handle.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 12th, 2015 at 3:10:07 PM permalink

How is it separate from the PAT if it occurs during the PAT, can only occur during a PAT, and the clock isn't running during the play?

Because nobody kicked the ball between the goalposts.

Quote:

A "safety" during the PAT is worth one point instead of two points because it's actually a successful PAT try.

I just don't see it that way. They wouldn't call it a safety if it were equivalent to a successful kick.

Quote:

If the above doesn't convince you, nothing will.

I guess your argument is just as good as quoting something from the official rules of football then. I must be very stubborn and pig-headed.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
January 12th, 2015 at 3:12:12 PM permalink

It's not a successful PAT try. It is a conversion safety, which is a separate type of scoring event than a successful try.
Mosca
Mosca
January 12th, 2015 at 3:22:04 PM permalink

It's not a successful PAT try. It is a conversion safety, which is a separate type of scoring event than a successful try.

I agree, but the problem isn't in the answer, it is in the question. The question states, "Not counting the extra point or two point conversion...." Which is vague. It could mean "other than the extra point or two point conversion" and it could also mean "excluding the extra point or two point conversion". If it is taken to mean excluding the extra point or two point conversion, then the fact that an extra point or two point try is necessary to produce the score would preclude that answer from being correct.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 12th, 2015 at 3:34:50 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I agree, but the problem isn't in the answer, it is in the question. The question states, "Not counting the extra point or two point conversion...." Which is vague. It could mean "other than the extra point or two point conversion" and it could also mean "excluding the extra point or two point conversion". If it is taken to mean excluding the extra point or two point conversion, then the fact that an extra point or two point try is necessary to produce the score would preclude that answer from being correct.

Okay, point taken. When I said "Not counting the extra point..." I meant not counting that exactly, not something that may have happened during an extra point attempt. I also don't see "Other than" as being significantly different from "Not counting." I'm open to other suggestions though, as I think it makes for a good trivia question, other than the difficulty in asking it properly.
sodawater
sodawater
January 12th, 2015 at 3:59:42 PM permalink
So if you were grading the classic "either team three consecutive scores" prop, you would grade it as YES in a 10-0 game consisting of a FG and a TD with a safety on the extra point?

I would grade this as two straight scores, not three. The clock is not running during the conversion safety, thus it is part of the PAT try.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 12th, 2015 at 4:03:23 PM permalink

So if you were grading the classic "either team three consecutive scores" prop, you would grade it as YES in a 10-0 game consisting of a FG and a TD with a safety on the extra point?

Yes.
Mosca
Mosca
January 12th, 2015 at 6:56:18 PM permalink

Okay, point taken. When I said "Not counting the extra point..." I meant not counting that exactly, not something that may have happened during an extra point attempt. I also don't see "Other than" as being significantly different from "Not counting." I'm open to other suggestions though, as I think it makes for a good trivia question, other than the difficulty in asking it properly.

It can mean either. I understood your question because if it meant anything else than what you intended, then there isn't a question. Also, it is one of those trivia questions that, if you've seen it once you always remember the answer.

Who is the only pitcher in major league history to lose 200 games without also having won 200 games?

Bob Friend, Pittsburgh Pirates in the '50s and early '60s. If Friend had played in New York he'd be in the HOF. You have to be really good to just get the chance to lose 200 games.
gameshowfan
gameshowfan
  • Threads: 1
January 13th, 2015 at 10:14:13 AM permalink

"Excluding points scored by the offense during the extra point play after a touchdown, what is the smallest number of points possible in a single score in the NFL?
Answer: 1, for a safety scored by the defense during the touchdown's extra point play."
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 13th, 2015 at 10:21:35 AM permalink
Quote: gameshowfan

"Excluding points scored by the offense during the extra point play after a touchdown, what is the smallest number of points possible in a single score in the NFL?
Answer: 1, for a safety scored by the defense during the touchdown's extra point play."

That might work. I was a bit resentful I'd missed that one as well, because I'd answered "2" specifically because of the discussion here before the dinner, and how the Wizard asked the question at the actual quiz, which was a bit different, but if I try to quote verbatim, I'll get it wrong. It had a qualifier of (as I understood it) "without being dependent on any other scoring", so I felt that it had to be a 2 point safety, as the other could only happen after a TD.

Wasn't worth the argument that night, but not surprised to see it continues to be a point of contention here.

I also got the "even money" question wrong - did not see the trick of the wording, but agree with his answer after hearing it. I thought it was a "who's buried in Grant's tomb" kind of question. It was, but in a different way than I sussed it out.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 13th, 2015 at 10:54:54 AM permalink

I'm afraid that such careful wording would lead the one being asked to conclude it had something to do with the defense and the play after a touchdown. It is supposed to be a trick question, leading the one being asked to think the answer is a two-point safety. I love trick questions.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 13th, 2015 at 11:35:41 AM permalink

The defence doesn't score the safety. The offence is awarded the point.

How about:

There are two ways to score a single point in the NFL. List them both.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 13th, 2015 at 12:08:57 PM permalink

I'm afraid that such careful wording would lead the one being asked to conclude it had something to do with the defense and the play after a touchdown. It is supposed to be a trick question, leading the one being asked to think the answer is a two-point safety. I love trick questions.

What i find ironic is that I assumed it was a trick question and that the one point safety wasn't the correct answer because we had been talking about it on this forum.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
January 13th, 2015 at 12:16:40 PM permalink

What i find ironic is that I assumed it was a trick question and that the one point safety wasn't the correct answer because we had been talking about it on this forum.

He got you with the "double double reverse"!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
January 13th, 2015 at 12:27:54 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

The defence doesn't score the safety. The offence is awarded the point.

How about:

I like that wording. It's no longer a "trick" question, but is now a very detailed triva question about the NFL.

The 1 point conversion safety is much more likely to happen in NCAA football anyway, since the ball isn't immediately dead if the defense takes possession. I have no idea why the NFL has that rule anyway. It's a thrill watching the defense take it 100ish yards for their own 2 points.

In my high school football league (Idaho), they used the same rule as the NFL in this situation, which surprised me when I found out. Generally high school leagues mimic NCAA rules more than NFL rules...no idea how other states treat it, though.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
January 13th, 2015 at 12:44:49 PM permalink

In my high school football league (Idaho), they used the same rule as the NFL in this situation, which surprised me when I found out. Generally high school leagues mimic NCAA rules more than NFL rules...no idea how other states treat it, though.

48 states (and DC) use the National Federation of State High School Associations football rules, which do not allow the defense to score on a try - in fact, they even clarified the rules one or two years ago to prevent the defense from scoring 1 point for a safety (the rules now make it clear: "only the offense can score on a try").

For whatever reason, Texas and Massachusetts high schools use slightly modified NCAA rules (12 minute quarters; "high school width" goal posts; kickoffs from the 40), so the defense can score on a try in those states.

Here's a question: what specific method of scoring in football is allowed in the NFL and in high school, but not in the NCAA?
A "free kick" field goal attempt following a fair catch
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 13th, 2015 at 12:54:50 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I thought it was a "who's buried in Grant's tomb" kind of question. It was, but in a different way than I sussed it out.

on this Grant's tomb thing, some say it is a joke because it is too easy, some say it is a trick because [see spoiler]

On his radio and television show You Bet Your Life, comedian Groucho Marx often asked contestants, "Who was buried in Grant's Tomb?" The riddle is based on the use of the word "buried." The correct answer is "no one," since Grant and his wife are entombed in sarcophagi above ground in an atrium rather than being buried in the ground. However, Marx often still accepted the answer "Grant," and awarded a consolation prize to those who gave it. He used the question, among several other comically simple ones, to ensure that everyone won a prize on the show. From Wikipedia article.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
January 13th, 2015 at 12:58:41 PM permalink
Taking a wild guess here:
Returning a missed field goal? But I'm pretty sure this is wrong because I think Auburn scored on this against Alabama in a recent BCS championship game.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
January 13th, 2015 at 1:00:04 PM permalink

Taking a wild guess here:

Returning a missed field goal? But I'm pretty sure this is wrong because I think Auburn scored on this against Alabama in a recent BCS championship game.

Yep, wrong :p. That can be a fun play though.
Some day I'd like to see Janikowski boot a 70 yarder this way. Seems plausible, since there's no pass rush.
waasnoday
waasnoday
  • Threads: 3
January 13th, 2015 at 1:11:47 PM permalink

I could never figure why the Indian was
in there. What's macho about being an
Indian. All the rest are macho stereotypes,
except the Indian. Should have had a
pro wrestler or a body builder instead.

Well I guess the owner of the Washington football team would disagree. Don't mean to poke the bear (been lurking for the past two years and do enjoy Bob's posts as well as almost everyone else) but I am pretty sure all the teams using Native Americans for mascots do think this is some macho in the Indian stereotype. Anyways, would also like to thank the Wizard for providing a very informative and enjoyable forum. I have learned a lot and appreciate the various opinions of all the regulars who post here. Cheers and happy new year to all of you.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 13th, 2015 at 1:41:03 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I think sodawater would argue that kicking the extra point and the one-point safety are equivalent, and thus there is still only one way. Nevertheless, I like that wording better than mine.

What do you think of this variant of my wording, "In the NFL, other than kicking an extra point and the two-point conversion, what is the least number of points possible in a single play?"

He got you with the "double double reverse"!

Actually, I was just trying to reward those who read the forum. Same with the question on the immaculate conception. That was discussed in some depth a while back with FrG.
chickenman
chickenman
January 16th, 2015 at 4:46:09 AM permalink
That's not a sailor in the Village People, it's a soldier.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
January 16th, 2015 at 6:03:24 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

That might depend on the time line, also one can argue its a BIKER, just because he's in leather doesn't make him a biker.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 16th, 2015 at 6:50:34 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

That looks like a sailor hat to me.

waasnoday
waasnoday
January 16th, 2015 at 8:15:44 AM permalink
It has been a long time since I worked in music stores but if memory serves correctly the sailor/soldier character changed from album to album. He was sometimes dressed as a sailor like on the "In the Navy" album and I think I had also seem him dressed in army fatigues. Now like I said it has been an awfully long time (20 years or so) since I sold music but I think both of you are right depending on the album.
  • Jump to: