Thread Rating:

Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 4049
December 15th, 2019 at 10:44:37 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere


Still in play...

Quote: Mosca

This one should be easy, but who knows. The missing last line is the title.

Mom got drunk and Dad got drunk
At our Christmas party
We were drinkin' champagne punch and homemade eggnog
Little sister brought her new boyfriend
He was a Mexican
We didn't know what to think of him
Until he sang Feliz Navidad
Brother Ken brought his kids with him
The three from his first wife Lynn
And the two identical twins
From his second wife Mary Nell
Of course he brought his new wife, Kay
Who talks all about AA
Chain smokin' while the stereo plays
Noel, Noel, the First Noel
Carve the turkey, turn the ballgame on
Mix margaritas when the eggnog's gone
Send somebody to the Quik Pak store
We need some ice and some extension cords
A can of bean dip and some Diet right
A box of tampons and some Marlboro Lights
Hallelujah, everybody say cheese...



Man, if you don’t know it, I don’t even know how to hint it. You either know it, or you don’t. It’s a modern alt-country Christmas classic.

Answer under the spoiler tag.

NO KILL I
DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1316
December 15th, 2019 at 12:20:38 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

<snip>And now, in the category "Muder Ballad", name that song...

Now on the sidewalk, sunny morning
Lies a body just oozin' life, eek
And someone's sneakin' 'round the corner
Could that someone be...



Gialmere,

Easy...
"Mack the Knife"


Dog Hand
DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1316
December 15th, 2019 at 1:24:46 PM permalink
In the category "Protest Songs of the 60's:

Paranoia strikes deep,
Into your life it will creep,
It starts when you're always afraid,
You step out of line, the man come and take you away.

Dog Hand
scolist
scolist
Joined: Mar 16, 2018
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 72
December 15th, 2019 at 2:08:58 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

In the category "Protest Songs of the 60's:

Paranoia strikes deep,
Into your life it will creep,
It starts when you're always afraid,
You step out of line, the man come and take you away.

Dog Hand



"For What it's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield
There's no way out of here When you come in You're in for good There was no promise made The part you played The chance...........you took
DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1316
December 15th, 2019 at 3:42:10 PM permalink
Quote: scolist

Quote: DogHand

In the category "Protest Songs of the 60's:

Paranoia strikes deep,
Into your life it will creep,
It starts when you're always afraid,
You step out of line, the man come and take you away.

Dog Hand



"For What it's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield



scolist,

Well, that didn't take long... Correct!

How about 60's Pop Music:

It's knowing I'm not shackled by forgotten words and bonds,
and the ink stains that have dried upon some line


Dog Hand
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 4049
December 15th, 2019 at 4:12:09 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Quote: scolist

Quote: DogHand

In the category "Protest Songs of the 60's:

Paranoia strikes deep,
Into your life it will creep,
It starts when you're always afraid,
You step out of line, the man come and take you away.

Dog Hand



"For What it's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield



scolist,

Well, that didn't take long... Correct!

How about 60's Pop Music:

It's knowing I'm not shackled by forgotten words and bonds,
and the ink stains that have dried upon some line


Dog Hand



Gentle on my Mind
NO KILL I
DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1316
December 15th, 2019 at 7:09:48 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Quote: DogHand

<skip>How about 60's Pop Music:

It's knowing I'm not shackled by forgotten words and bonds,
and the ink stains that have dried upon some line


Dog Hand



Gentle on my Mind



Ding! Ding! Ding! 30 minutes to a winner!

Dog Hand
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 4049
December 15th, 2019 at 8:49:02 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Quote: Mosca

Quote: DogHand

<skip>How about 60's Pop Music:

It's knowing I'm not shackled by forgotten words and bonds,
and the ink stains that have dried upon some line


Dog Hand



Gentle on my Mind



Ding! Ding! Ding! 30 minutes to a winner!

Dog Hand



Oh hell, it’s either, “Oh yeah, I know that one!” Or, “I got no freakin’ idea.” That 60s pop stuff is right in my wheelhouse.
NO KILL I
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
Thanks for this post from:
Ayecarumba
December 15th, 2019 at 9:58:59 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Oh hell, it’s either, “Oh yeah, I know that one!” Or, “I got no freakin’ idea.” That 60s pop stuff is right in my wheelhouse.


Also, in this format, there's no music involved. So a song you might easily recognize after hearing only the first bar or two could be elusive when only staring at the lyrics.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 15th, 2019 at 10:31:01 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Gialmere,

Easy...

"Mack the Knife"


Dog Hand


Ding! Ding! Winner!!

"Mack the Knife" was originally a song in a 20's German play that had some success Off-Broadway in the US. The translated music intrigued some American musicians with Lois Armstrong being the first big name to record it. The definitive version is obviously the 1959 Bobby Darin release...


-------------------------------------

Still in play...

Quote: Joeman

Back to "Gambling":

He deals the cards as a meditation
And those he plays never suspect
He doesn't play for the money he wins
He don't play for respect

He deals the cards to find the answer
The sacred geometry of chance
The hidden law of a probable outcome
The numbers lead a dance


Quote: Ayecarumba

In the category "90's Gambling Rock"

"All my elevens and sevens been comin' up sixes and nines. But since I fell for you baby, been comin' on changin' times..."


-------------------------------------

And now, in the category "Gangsta", name that song...

Here's a murder rap to keep yo dancin
with a crime record like Charles Manson
AK-47 is the tool
Don't make me act the motherf----n fool
Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe
I'm knockin n----z out tha box, daily
yo weekly, monthly and yearly
until them dumb motherf---ers see clearly
that I'm down with the capital C-P-T
Boy you can't f--- with me
So when I'm in your neighborhood, you better duck
Coz Ice Cube is crazy as f---
As I leave, believe I'm stompin
but when I come back, boy, I'm comin...
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 4049
December 16th, 2019 at 5:17:27 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Also, in this format, there's no music involved. So a song you might easily recognize after hearing only the first bar or two could be elusive when only staring at the lyrics.



For “Gentle on my Mind” it was “knowing I’m not shackled”. That is a very distinctive lyric to a complicated song. The double check was that the meter fit.
NO KILL I
Jamespatrick12
Jamespatrick12
Joined: Nov 18, 2019
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 11
December 16th, 2019 at 6:57:19 AM permalink
nice one buddy. Great
DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1316
December 16th, 2019 at 7:46:25 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere



And now, in the category "Gangsta", name that song...

Here's a murder rap to keep yo dancin
with a crime record like Charles Manson
AK-47 is the tool
Don't make me act the motherf----n fool
Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe
I'm knockin n----z out tha box, daily
yo weekly, monthly and yearly
until them dumb motherf---ers see clearly
that I'm down with the capital C-P-T
Boy you can't f--- with me
So when I'm in your neighborhood, you better duck
Coz Ice Cube is crazy as f---
As I leave, believe I'm stompin
but when I come back, boy, I'm comin...



The seldom-sung and oft-censored third verse to Mr. Rogers' "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" theme song?


Here's another one in the Pop 60's category, and once again referencing Ruggero Leoncavallo's best-known opera:

Just like Pagliacci did,
I try to keep my sadness hid,
Smiling in the public eye,
But in my lonely room I cry...


Dog Hand
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 4049
December 16th, 2019 at 8:01:02 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Quote: Gialmere



And now, in the category "Gangsta", name that song...

Here's a murder rap to keep yo dancin
with a crime record like Charles Manson
AK-47 is the tool
Don't make me act the motherf----n fool
Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe
I'm knockin n----z out tha box, daily
yo weekly, monthly and yearly
until them dumb motherf---ers see clearly
that I'm down with the capital C-P-T
Boy you can't f--- with me
So when I'm in your neighborhood, you better duck
Coz Ice Cube is crazy as f---
As I leave, believe I'm stompin
but when I come back, boy, I'm comin...



The seldom-sung and oft-censored third verse to Mr. Rogers' "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" theme song?


Here's another one in the Pop 60's category, and once again referencing Ruggero Leoncavallo's best-known opera:

Just like Pagliacci did,
I try to keep my sadness hid,
Smiling in the public eye,
But in my lonely room I cry...


Dog Hand



Too good of a clue, too specific a lyric. I can see right through the smoke(y).
NO KILL I
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 4049
December 16th, 2019 at 8:06:00 AM permalink
Close my eyes, she's somehow closer now
Softly smile, I know she must be kind
When I look in her eyes
She goes with me to a blossom world
NO KILL I
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 16th, 2019 at 9:02:28 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Quote: Gialmere



And now, in the category "Gangsta", name that song...

Here's a murder rap to keep yo dancin
with a crime record like Charles Manson
AK-47 is the tool
Don't make me act the motherf----n fool
Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe
I'm knockin n----z out tha box, daily
yo weekly, monthly and yearly
until them dumb motherf---ers see clearly
that I'm down with the capital C-P-T
Boy you can't f--- with me
So when I'm in your neighborhood, you better duck
Coz Ice Cube is crazy as f---
As I leave, believe I'm stompin
but when I come back, boy, I'm comin...



The seldom-sung and oft-censored third verse to Mr. Rogers' "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" theme song?


Heh heh. Maybe Mr Robinson's neighborhood...



If you carefully examine the last four lines, you should be able to deduce the final words off the verse which are also this famous song's title.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1316
December 16th, 2019 at 11:30:34 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Close my eyes, she's somehow closer now
Softly smile, I know she must be kind
When I look in her eyes
She goes with me to a blossom world



Is it
"Good Vibrations"?


Dog Hand
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
December 16th, 2019 at 11:39:31 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

In the category "90's Gambling Rock" (aka "Gambling Song #2)

"All my elevens and sevens been comin' up sixes and nines. But since I fell for you baby, been comin' on changin' times..."



This artist released two full length albums on the same day, and oddly, this song wasn't on the one with "Lucky" in the title.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 4049
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
December 16th, 2019 at 5:52:03 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Quote: Mosca

Close my eyes, she's somehow closer now
Softly smile, I know she must be kind
When I look in her eyes
She goes with me to a blossom world



Is it
"Good Vibrations"?


Dog Hand




Yes it is! I still remember the first time I heard that song, I had the transistor radio under the covers listening when I should have been asleep. I was blown away, never heard anything like it.
NO KILL I
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 4049
December 16th, 2019 at 6:00:26 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

This artist released two full length albums on the same day, and oddly, this song wasn't on the one with "Lucky" in the title.



Well that’s Springsteen, but I never really got into him. Great artist, not for me.
NO KILL I
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
Joined: Oct 20, 2012
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 608
December 16th, 2019 at 10:46:41 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Quote: Gialmere



And now, in the category "Gangsta", name that song...

Here's a murder rap to keep yo dancin
with a crime record like Charles Manson
AK-47 is the tool
Don't make me act the motherf----n fool
Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe
I'm knockin n----z out tha box, daily
yo weekly, monthly and yearly
until them dumb motherf---ers see clearly
that I'm down with the capital C-P-T
Boy you can't f--- with me
So when I'm in your neighborhood, you better duck
Coz Ice Cube is crazy as f---
As I leave, believe I'm stompin
but when I come back, boy, I'm comin...



The seldom-sung and oft-censored third verse to Mr. Rogers' "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" theme song?


Here's another one in the Pop 60's category, and once again referencing Ruggero Leoncavallo's best-known opera:

Just like Pagliacci did,
I try to keep my sadness hid,
Smiling in the public eye,
But in my lonely room I cry...


Dog Hand



Man you guys are so White bread...😋 The guy's name is literally in the lyrics at the end of the verse.

Hint: The song name is the same as the Bio Pic about the Artist(s).
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 16th, 2019 at 10:49:14 PM permalink
If you carefully examine the last four lines, you should be able to deduce the final words of the verse which are also this famous song's title.

Endless internet memes riff on this song's title.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
December 17th, 2019 at 12:07:21 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

If you carefully examine the last four lines, you should be able to deduce the final words of the verse which are also this famous song's title.

Endless internet memes riff on this song's title.



Sorry “Ice G-Mere”, but does rap even qualify as a “song”? Does a song need to be sung?

I posted songs by an Italian opera singer and Bruce Springsteen. My music is so white bread, it wears a polo shirt with the collar up...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
Thanks for this post from:
Ayecarumba
December 17th, 2019 at 5:15:01 PM permalink
The song is "Straight Outta Compton"



Quote: Ayecarumba

Sorry “Ice G-Mere”, but does rap even qualify as a “song”? Does a song need to be sung?

I posted songs by an Italian opera singer and Bruce Springsteen. My music is so white bread, it wears a polo shirt with the collar up...


Heh. I'll see your Springsteen and Italian Opera and raise Shirley Temple with Gilbert and Sullivan.

Yes, I think rap is music (a song). It just gravitates toward the percussion end of things. It's not my cup of tea (what a white bread expression) and I like Keith Richards' take that he likes to be sung to, not yelled at, but it's certainly music.

Consider the song "Rock Island" from earlier in this thread. It's just salesmen chanting to the rhythm of a train. And, speaking of "The Music Man", Robert Preston pretty much talked his way through all those songs. Another example would be Rex Harrison talk/singing his way through "My Fair Lady".


--------------------------------
And now, in the category "Depression Era", name that song...

Once I built a tower up to the sun
Brick and rivet and lime
Once I built a tower, now it's done...
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14246
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
December 17th, 2019 at 6:38:35 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

The song is "Straight Outta Compton"




Heh. I'll see your Springsteen and Italian Opera and raise Shirley Temple with Gilbert and Sullivan.

Yes, I think rap is music (a song). It just gravitates toward the percussion end of things. It's not my cup of tea (what a white bread expression) and I like Keith Richards' take that he likes to be sung to, not yelled at, but it's certainly music.

Consider the song "Rock Island" from earlier in this thread. It's just salesmen chanting to the rhythm of a train. And, speaking of "The Music Man", Robert Preston pretty much talked his way through all those songs. Another example would be Rex Harrison talk/singing his way through "My Fair Lady".


--------------------------------
And now, in the category "Depression Era", name that song...

Once I built a tower up to the sun
Brick and rivet and lime
Once I built a tower, now it's done...




Brother Can You Spare A Dime
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 17th, 2019 at 7:04:07 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs


Brother Can You Spare A Dime


Ding! Ding! Winner!!

This song has an interesting history but it would be difficult to discuss due to the politics surrounding it.


----------------------------------

And now, in the category "Disco", name that song...

Gotta make a move to a town that's right for me
Town to keep me movin'
Keep me groovin' with some energy
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
December 17th, 2019 at 11:05:43 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: beachbumbabs


Brother Can You Spare A Dime


Ding! Ding! Winner!!

This song has an interesting history but it would be difficult to discuss due to the politics surrounding it.


----------------------------------

And now, in the category "Disco", name that song...

Gotta make a move to a town that's right for me
Town to keep me movin'
Keep me groovin' with some energy



...take me to Funky Town?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 18th, 2019 at 4:21:06 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

...take me to Funky Town?


Ding! Ding! Correct!!

This is another song that keeps getting used in films and on TV and so is continuously introduced to new generations.


----------------------------------

And now, in the category "Holiday Tunes", name that song...

First recorded in 1949, this Holiday classic was originally an instrumental piece (lyrics were added a year later) and was a hit record for the Boston Pops Orchestra.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14246
December 18th, 2019 at 5:07:19 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Ayecarumba

...take me to Funky Town?


Ding! Ding! Correct!!

This is another song that keeps getting used in films and on TV and so is continuously introduced to new generations.


----------------------------------

And now, in the category "Holiday Tunes", name that song...

First recorded in 1949, this Holiday classic was originally an instrumental piece (lyrics were added a year later) and was a hit record for the Boston Pops Orchestra.





Carol of the Bells. I remember hearing this first, very young, as an instrumental piece, and being surprised years later that it had words.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 116
  • Posts: 5949
December 18th, 2019 at 6:11:32 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

And now, in the category "Holiday Tunes", name that song...

First recorded in 1949, this Holiday classic was originally an instrumental piece (lyrics were added a year later) and was a hit record for the Boston Pops Orchestra.



Sleigh Ride, by Leroy Anderson. Whenever the Boston Pops is shown performing it at a holiday concert, they get Santa Claus to do the whip crack sound effect.



----------

Here's one from me, in the category Classical
Most people in the USA don't realize that it has lyrics; I left out the first line, as that's its title in Great Britain

Mother of the free
How shall we extol thee
Who are born of thee?
Wider still and wider
Shall thy bounds be set
God who made thee mighty
Make thee mightier yet
Last edited by: ThatDonGuy on Dec 18, 2019
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14246
December 18th, 2019 at 8:11:21 PM permalink
I think that's a better guess than mine, TDG.

Is yours

Hail Columbia?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 18th, 2019 at 11:32:24 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy


Sleigh Ride, by Leroy Anderson. Whenever the Boston Pops is shown performing it at a holiday concert, they get Santa Claus to do the whip crack sound effect.


Jingling, ring tingle tingling winner!!

Another non Christmas song absorbed by the holiday, singers will often tweak the lyrics and turn the birthday party at Farmer Gray's into a Christmas party. "Sleigh Ride" became a signature song of the Boston Pops and its 1949 recording is the definitive instrumental version of the tune. Most people think that either Johnny Mathis or the Ronettes have the definitive vocal version.


----------------------------------

And now, in the category "Folk", name that song...

The line it is drawn, the curse it is cast
The slow one now will later be fast
As the present now will later be past
The order is rapidly fading
And the first one now will later be last

Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Joeman
Joeman
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 2377
December 19th, 2019 at 4:25:00 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Ayecarumba

...take me to Funky Town?


This is another song that keeps getting used in films and on TV and so is continuously introduced to new generations.



This made me think of the recent



Quote:

Back to "Gambling":

He deals the cards as a meditation
And those he plays never suspect
He doesn't play for the money he wins
He don't play for respect

He deals the cards to find the answer
The sacred geometry of chance
The hidden law of a probable outcome
The numbers lead a dance




Although the artist is well known, this song may have been too obscure. However, I think it is one of Sting's best efforts. Maybe it's just that I like the card playing references!

It is Shape of My Heart by sting. I don't recall it getting that much airtime, but it was featured as the end credits roll in the film The Professional starring Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, and a very young Natalie Portman.

"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 4049
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
December 19th, 2019 at 5:17:34 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: ThatDonGuy


Sleigh Ride, by Leroy Anderson. Whenever the Boston Pops is shown performing it at a holiday concert, they get Santa Claus to do the whip crack sound effect.


Jingling, ring tingle tingling winner!!

Another non Christmas song absorbed by the holiday, singers will often tweak the lyrics and turn the birthday party at Farmer Gray's into a Christmas party. "Sleigh Ride" became a signature song of the Boston Pops and its 1949 recording is the definitive instrumental version of the tune. Most people think that either Johnny Mathis or the Ronettes have the definitive vocal version.


----------------------------------

And now, in the category "Folk", name that song...

The line it is drawn, the curse it is cast
The slow one now will later be fast
As the present now will later be past
The order is rapidly fading
And the first one now will later be last



for the times, they are a changin’.
NO KILL I
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
December 19th, 2019 at 10:41:25 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Ayecarumba

...take me to Funky Town?


This is another song that keeps getting used in films and on TV and so is continuously introduced to new generations.



This made me think of the recent






Although the artist is well known, this song may have been too obscure. However, I think it is one of Sting's best efforts. Maybe it's just that I like the card playing references!

It is Shape of My Heart by sting. I don't recall it getting that much airtime, but it was featured as the end credits roll in the film The Professional starring Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, and a very young Natalie Portman.



This tune was used in a close up magic video in this thread

Edit: The link to the video in the old thread was dead, but thanks to the internet, a poor copy of the performance is here:



I'll have to go back and watch the end of "The Professional" again. I didn't notice this song there the many times I have watched the film.
Last edited by: Ayecarumba on Dec 19, 2019
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 116
  • Posts: 5949
December 19th, 2019 at 4:33:19 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think that's a better guess than mine, TDG.

Is yours


Hail Columbia?


No.

Hint: when it is used in the USA, it is usually in a setting that has nothing whatsoever to do with the lyrics.

Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 19th, 2019 at 5:19:01 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

for the times, they are a changin’.


Ding! Ding! Correct!!

One clever thing about this Dylan classic is that he paints the lyrics in such broad strokes the song always seems to feel applicable. Also, depending on their circumstances, listeners might relate to either the person giving the warning or to the people receiving it.


----------------------------------

And now, in the category "Christmas", name that song...

This film Christmas song originally contained the line, "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow..." but was changed by the writer in 1957 at the request of Frank Sinatra in order to make it more cheerful. Now most artists use the Sinatra lyric.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
December 19th, 2019 at 5:58:02 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Mosca

for the times, they are a changin’.


Ding! Ding! Correct!!

One clever thing about this Dylan classic is that he paints the lyrics in such broad strokes the song always seems to feel applicable. Also, depending on their circumstances, listeners might relate to either the person giving the warning or to the people receiving it.


----------------------------------

And now, in the category "Christmas", name that song...

This film Christmas song originally contained the line, "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow..." but was changed by the writer in 1957 at the request of Frank Sinatra in order to make it more cheerful. Now most artists use the Sinatra lyric.



“Let it Snow”?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 19th, 2019 at 11:47:04 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

“Let it Snow”?


Sorry, no.

"How" rymes with "bough".
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Joeman
Joeman
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 2377
December 20th, 2019 at 4:18:13 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere



And now, in the category "Christmas", name that song...

This film Christmas song originally contained the line, "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow..." but was changed by the writer in 1957 at the request of Frank Sinatra in order to make it more cheerful. Now most artists use the Sinatra lyric.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. The line was replaced by "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough."
Last edited by: Joeman on Dec 20, 2019
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
December 20th, 2019 at 9:54:24 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Quote: Ayecarumba

This artist released two full length albums on the same day, and oddly, this song wasn't on the one with "Lucky" in the title.



Well that’s Springsteen, but I never really got into him. Great artist, not for me.




"Roll of the Dice" was a track on Bruce Springsteen's "Human Touch" album. "Human Touch" and "Lucky Town" were released on the same day, March 31, 1992.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 4049
December 20th, 2019 at 10:44:12 AM permalink
Captain Smith and Pocahontas
Had a very mad affair
When her daddy tried to kill him
She said "Daddy oh don't you dare"
NO KILL I
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 20th, 2019 at 10:48:05 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Captain Smith and Pocahontas
Had a very mad affair
When her daddy tried to kill him
She said "Daddy oh don't you dare"


"Fever" by Peggy Lee
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 4049
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
December 20th, 2019 at 12:48:42 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Mosca

Captain Smith and Pocahontas
Had a very mad affair
When her daddy tried to kill him
She said "Daddy oh don't you dare"


"Fever" by Peggy Lee



Ch-Ching!
NO KILL I
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 20th, 2019 at 4:39:15 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. The line was replaced by "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough."


Ding! Ding! Very good!!

If you haven't seen the film "Meet Me In St Louis", this song was actually written for a sad scene trying to capture all the uncertainty hanging over the story's family. The first draft of the song began...

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
It may be your last
Next year we may all be living in the past...


Judy Garland refused to sing such dark lyrics to a young child and the song was rewritten but the "muddle through" line was kept and fits the plot. Surprisingly, although he recorded several holiday albums, Sinatra never clicked with a song the way, say, Bing Crosby did with "White Christmas". He came close with this one but most people would say that Garland owns the song.





-------------------------------

Staying in the category of "Christmas", name that song...

Released in 1949, this Christmas song was based on a children's giveaway story booklet written for the Montgomery Ward department store in Christmas 1939.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
December 20th, 2019 at 4:47:43 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere



-------------------------------

Staying in the category of "Christmas", name that song...

Released in 1949, this Christmas song was based on a children's giveaway story booklet written for the Montgomery Ward department store in Christmas 1939.



"Here Comes Santa Claus"?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
December 20th, 2019 at 5:01:06 PM permalink
More Christmas:

What is the name of this esoteric but familiar Christmas tune:

"We are not daily beggars that beg from door to door;
But we are neighbours' children whom you have seen before. "
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 20th, 2019 at 6:14:30 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

"Here Comes Santa Claus"?


A good guess but no.


Quote: Ayecarumba

More Christmas:

What is the name of this esoteric but familiar Christmas tune:

"We are not daily beggars that beg from door to door;
But we are neighbours' children whom you have seen before. "


I'm thinking "Here We Come A-wassailing".
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
December 20th, 2019 at 6:20:55 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

More Christmas:

What is the name of this esoteric but familiar Christmas tune:

"We are not daily beggars that beg from door to door;
But we are neighbours' children whom you have seen before. "


I'm thinking "Here We Come A-wassailing".



Huzzah! A hot cup of wassail for your wassailling!
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2806
December 20th, 2019 at 6:51:20 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Huzzah! A hot cup of wassail for your wassailling!


Bam! I'm on a roll today!



Quote: Gialmere

Staying in the category of "Christmas", name that song...

Released in 1949, this Christmas song was based on a children's giveaway story booklet written for the Montgomery Ward department store in Christmas 1939.


The songwriter also wrote such Christmas songs as "A Holly Jolly Christmas" and "Silver and Gold".
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.

  • Jump to: