Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
August 13th, 2020 at 5:29:31 PM permalink
The purpose of this thread will be to announce and discuss my latest videos. In particular, ones that don't fit well into another thread. I expect to increase by rate of video production the rest of 2020 and beyond.

To start, here is a fun, simple, and short video on how to force a win in checkers with two kings vs. one. I welcome all comments.

Direct: https://youtu.be/uUV_TbZU5eM.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 50
August 14th, 2020 at 6:28:32 AM permalink
Checkers?

We'll all look forward to additional videos:

Rock-Paper-Scissors
Hopscotch
Go Fish
Crazy Eights
Name That Tune

Way too much time on your hands.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 14th, 2020 at 6:41:29 AM permalink
Quote: racquet

Checkers?

We'll all look forward to additional videos:

Rock-Paper-Scissors
Hopscotch
Go Fish
Crazy Eights
Name That Tune

Way too much time on your hands.

I'm thinking of getting two more models and doing videos on some silly games one my play on a poker night like:

1. Acey-deucey
2. Guts
3. Screw Your Neighbor

I am open to other suggestions.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
blackjacklad
August 14th, 2020 at 8:00:39 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm thinking of getting two more models and doing videos on some silly games one my play on a poker night like:

1. Acey-deucey
2. Guts
3. Screw Your Neighbor

Drinking games like @$$hole and bulls$!t?

Both have strategy to them.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 50
August 14th, 2020 at 8:35:32 PM permalink

1. Acey-deucey
2. Guts
3. Screw Your Neighbor

Screw Your Neighbor?

You regained my interest. But then, you've never seen my neighbor. How did you know?
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
August 15th, 2020 at 12:35:50 AM permalink
Quote: racquet

Screw Your Neighbor?

You regained my interest. But then, you've never seen my neighbor. How did you know?

He's in mensa doy
100% risk of ruin
TinMan
TinMan
  • Threads: 21
August 15th, 2020 at 9:30:31 AM permalink
When I saw the title, I assumed you meant how to win with the 1 King. That would have been impressive.

Reminds me of chess videos on how to win with Knight and Bishop. Very possible but need to know what you’re doing.
If anyone gives you 10,000 to 1 on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I am going to be a very rich dude.
TinMan
TinMan
August 15th, 2020 at 9:34:07 AM permalink

FWIW, I liked the pyraminx video. You could do a series on other cubes/cuboids/twisty puzzles. I would suggest—fewer rotations, especially when you start an algorithm. It helps to follow along when the only variable is the move itself and not an X/Z rotation.
If anyone gives you 10,000 to 1 on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I am going to be a very rich dude.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
TinMan
August 18th, 2020 at 1:16:13 PM permalink
Quote: TinMan

Reminds me of chess videos on how to win with Knight and Bishop. Very possible but need to know what you’re doing.

Angela and I just shot a video on that very topic!

However, the next one is FAQ on video poker. I welcome all comments.

Direct: https://youtu.be/_0c_8GlRcMA
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
August 18th, 2020 at 3:14:21 PM permalink

1. Acey-deucey
2. Guts
3. Screw Your Neighbor

Twister?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 19th, 2020 at 4:26:24 PM permalink
Here is my next video on state flag trivia. Enjoy!

Direct: https://youtu.be/lH9KcnsJ7IU
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
August 19th, 2020 at 6:07:19 PM permalink

Which US President does The Wizard look like? I thought it would be one with a beard, but this looked close.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 19th, 2020 at 8:16:17 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Which US President does The Wizard look like? I thought it would be one with a beard, but this looked close.

I hate to ask, but which one is he?
rxwine
rxwine
August 19th, 2020 at 8:35:45 PM permalink
13th President (lucky number?) A young Millard Fillmore
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
August 19th, 2020 at 9:37:15 PM permalink

13th President (lucky number?) A young Millard Fillmore

You don't hear about him much.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 20th, 2020 at 3:27:26 AM permalink

I do believe he looks like he could be on a unicycle.
I am a robot.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
August 20th, 2020 at 7:01:10 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Drinking games like @$$hole and bulls$!t?

Both have strategy to them.

My strategy for @$$hole was to swipe the deuces from the discard pile while my drunk friends weren't looking. Worked pretty well, too!

As an aside, a female friend in college objected to the name of the game, so we instead called it "Undesirable Person" when she played!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 29th, 2020 at 7:56:20 PM permalink
Here is my latest video, a long one, on international flag trivia. This one was a lot of fun to make.

Direct: https://youtu.be/8w5LSPBSkzc
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
August 30th, 2020 at 2:14:36 PM permalink

To start, here is a fun, simple, and short video on how to force a win in checkers with two kings vs. one. I welcome all comments.

A couple of weeks ago I finished re-reading One Jump Ahead: Challenging Human Supremacy in Checkers by Dr. Jonathan Schaeffer. It's probably the fourth or the fifth time I've re-read it. (I seem to get the urge to re-read it every couple of years.) It's most certainly one of my favorite books of all-time. Anyone who is a fan of computer programming and game theory and game playing, will probably enjoy it too.

The new edition of this extraordinary book tells of the creation of the world champion checkers computer program, Chinook. In only two years, Chinook had become a worthy opponent to the world champion, and within four years had defeated all the world's top human players. Jonathan Schaeffer, the originator and leader of the Chinook team, provides an engrossing account of failures and successes. He describes the human story behind the program and his own feelings in learning from mistakes and technical problems in a continuous effort to improve Chinook's performance.

It's available from Amazon, in hardcover, for under $10.00.
rxwine
rxwine
August 30th, 2020 at 5:19:21 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

A couple of weeks ago I finished re-reading One Jump Ahead: Challenging Human Supremacy in Checkers by Dr. Jonathan Schaeffer. It's probably the fourth or the fifth time I've re-read it. (I seem to get the urge to re-read it every couple of years.) It's most certainly one of my favorite books of all-time. Anyone who is a fan of computer programming and game theory and game playing, will probably enjoy it too.

The new edition of this extraordinary book tells of the creation of the world champion checkers computer program, Chinook. In only two years, Chinook had become a worthy opponent to the world champion, and within four years had defeated all the world's top human players. Jonathan Schaeffer, the originator and leader of the Chinook team, provides an engrossing account of failures and successes. He describes the human story behind the program and his own feelings in learning from mistakes and technical problems in a continuous effort to improve Chinook's performance.

It's available from Amazon, in hardcover, for under $10.00.

I started thinking about computers solving checkers, become unbeatable in chess and Go, and realized, computers might be said to look into the future. They certainly are already being used to calculate battlefield scenarios before they even happen. Enter enough scenarios and you get closer to finding out what will happen in that future.

And that's how we will look into the future (so I predict, probably over confidently)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 2nd, 2020 at 5:21:07 PM permalink
Speaking of looking into the future, I present my next video on how to win in chess with a king, knight and bishop vs. a king.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLeYfTbmFzM
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 3rd, 2020 at 5:45:58 PM permalink
An upcoming video with Angela will be on the topic of Vegas scams. Here is a list we put together, but we welcome other suggestions and comments if some of these should not be considered a scam.

1. Paid parking
2. Resort fees
3. Reservations.com
4. Concession and franchise fees
5. Charging to use mini-fridge
6. Welcome to Vegas sign photo-people
7. “Free CD” people
8. Street entertainers
9. Gift shop prices
10. Water sellers on strip
11. Timeshare pitches
12. Long-hauling cab drivers
13. Night club promoters
14. Hypnotist / lip-synch shows
15. ATM fees
16. “Hot babes direct to you.”
17. Three card monty.
18. West rim Grand Canyon

Meanwhile, I do recommend Tangerine Travels video on this topic.
Last edited by: Wizard on Sep 4, 2020
TinMan
TinMan
September 3rd, 2020 at 6:12:05 PM permalink

Here is a list we put together, but we welcome other suggestions and comments if some of these should not be considered a scam.

I wouldn’t call most of these a scam. Maybe “best to know” or “how to budget for Vegas” but not a scam. To me, I consider something a scam If (1) the price isn’t disclosed until after the service/product is rendered, especially if anything leading up to that point played off of generally held social expectations that there would not be a charge/nominal tip, (2) the service/product wasn’t as promised, (3) there was an implied or explicit threat used to secure an allegedly “voluntary” gratuity/payment or (4) the person providing the service wasn’t as advertised.

As far as something I would add to the list—I believe I saw the “fake monks” in Vegas last time I was there. They’re not monks. They tie “religious brackets” on people that are in reality cheap string and then ask for payment. To me, that violates 1, 4 above and really 2 as well. Not sure what happens if you don’t pay, but possibly 3 too.
EdCollins
EdCollins
September 3rd, 2020 at 7:02:28 PM permalink

Speaking of looking into the future, I present my next video on how to win in chess with a king, knight and bishop vs. a king.

As an tournament chess player, having played in more than 80 over-the-board chess tournaments over the past 30 years, this is elementary mate everyone at my level (and a few levels below me) should know.

And yes, unless you've practiced it, figuring out the actual moves would be difficult (at least at my level) over the board, especially if you were short on time.

I agree... it's a great mental exercise, especially if you are just learning it or haven't yet fully mastered how to do it. I myself learned how to do it from the 1953 classic The Complete Chessplayer by Fred Reinfeld.

From ANY given position it can be done in at most, 33 moves. However, if you mess up once or twice, you will be in danger of exceeding the 50 moves limit. (In chess, a player can claim a draw if no capture has been made and no pawn has been moved in the last fifty moves.)

In the video you mentioned you would leave a link as to which site you used to learn the mating technique, and a link to a couple of computer sites that you could play chess against. I might be missing it, but I don't see those links anywhere. (I don't need them, but others might.)

Here's that site where you can practice mating with a bishop and a knight:

https://www.chessvideos.tv/endgame-training/bishop-knight-checkmate.php

Yea, when I first mastered the technique (a long time ago) I was proud that I had learned how to do it, and that I could do it effortless, from any position. I was so HOPING I'd have to demonstrate it in an actual game, over the board, at one of my tourneys. Alas, it never came up - I never had to do that.

Thanks for the video.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 3rd, 2020 at 7:19:05 PM permalink

I wouldn’t call most of these a scam. Maybe “best to know” or “how to budget for Vegas” but not a scam. To me, I consider something a scam If (1) the price isn’t disclosed until after the service/product is rendered, especially if anything leading up to that point played off of generally held social expectations that there would not be a charge/nominal tip, (2) the service/product wasn’t as promised, (3) there was an implied or explicit threat used to secure an allegedly “voluntary” gratuity/payment or (4) the person providing the service wasn’t as advertised.

That's a good point. I think we'll rephrase it as "Vegas scams and warnings" or something like that.

Quote:

As far as something I would add to the list—I believe I saw the “fake monks” in Vegas last time I was there. They’re not monks. They tie “religious brackets” on people that are in reality cheap string and then ask for payment. To me, that violates 1, 4 above and really 2 as well. Not sure what happens if you don’t pay, but possibly 3 too.

I never saw that one, but at the Los Angeles airport there is some religious group that will give you a gift, probably a piece of candy or something, and swing by 5 minutes later and shake you down for a contribution. When I was in Berlin somebody was collecting donations for a school for the deaf. How can you say no? However, the next day at another tourist site there was a sign specifically warning that it was a scam and to not give them money.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 3rd, 2020 at 7:22:23 PM permalink

In the video you mentioned you would leave a link as to which site you used to learn the mating technique, and a link to a couple of computer sites that you could play chess against. I might be missing it, but I don't see those links anywhere. (I don't need them, but others might.)

Thanks for your comments. I see that you have to click "see more" to see the links. Here they are, including the same one you suggested:

Here are the links promised in the video:
Chessvideos.tv: https://www.chessvideos.tv/endgame-tr...
Chess.com: https://www.chess.com/play/computer?m...
GM Huschenbeth video: https://youtu.be/hWwuy-aiK1M
TinMan
TinMan
Thanked by
Mosca
September 3rd, 2020 at 7:33:45 PM permalink
My general rule in Vegas is 99% of the time, if someone is talking to me it’s because they either have received money from me or they hope to receive money from me. That’s not always illegal or wrong by any means (the waiter being pleasant hopes to get a tip—nothing wrong with that).

The religious angle is one that probably gets a lot of people. Many people are religious and it preys (ha!) on that instinct even if it’s not their religion necessarily.

I walk past anyone randomly standing around collecting money for any cause. NYC is filled with people with clipboards for allegedly some cause or another. I keep going. I give to charity through established organizations.
EdCollins
EdCollins
September 3rd, 2020 at 8:08:10 PM permalink

I see that you have to click "see more" to see the links.

Ah, the links are on YouTube. Ok, thanks. (I didn't watch the video on YouTube. I just watched it right here without leaving this site. I was looking for the links here.)
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
September 3rd, 2020 at 8:34:38 PM permalink

Yea, when I first mastered the technique (a long time ago) I was proud that I had learned how to do it, and that I could do it effortless, from any position. I was so HOPING I'd have to demonstrate it in an actual game, over the board, at one of my tourneys. Alas, it never came up - I never had to do that.

It's rare but it does happen. Unfortunately, at your level of play, if you ever do end up in this situation your opponent will immediately resign, correctly assuming that you can mate with ease. Why waste time?

Still, it's a mandatory lesson for intermediate players who are starting to get serious about the game. At the very least it teaches piece interaction.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 3rd, 2020 at 9:08:22 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Still, it's a mandatory lesson for intermediate players who are starting to get serious about the game. At the very least it teaches piece interaction.

I agree 100%. It's easy to slip past a bishop or knight individually. It takes care and patience to get them to work at as a team, for lack of better terminology.

I find the end game, which I rarely get to, the most interesting and challenging. For that reason, this exercise was a very good challenge for me.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
September 3rd, 2020 at 9:37:22 PM permalink

An upcoming video with Angela will be on the topic of Vegas scams. Here is a list we put together, but we welcome other suggestions and comments if some of these should not be considered a scam.

Don't see the water sellers as a scam. They buy them at the grocery store for as like 12-cents and sell them for $1 on a bridge when it's 100F out and the other establishments are charging $4. It's illegal, but still just basic entrepreneurship.

The free limo rides to the strip club are pretty scammy.

Are there still three-card money games?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2020 at 4:18:17 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

Don't see the water sellers as a scam.

I agree. Angela put that one on the list. I'll have to ask her why.

Quote:

Are there still three-card money games?

You mean Three Card Monty. You see that once in a while. I should add it.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2020 at 4:44:49 AM permalink
Another video I plan to do later this month will be titled something like Miscellaneous Vegas Advice. First, here is Angela's list:

Prostitution is not legal in Clark County...
Use Lyft or Uber instead of a Taxi
Use the Deuce to get around if you're just going between Downtown and the Strip
If you're going to here more than a weekend, rent a car (for at least a day or two) and go to a local grocery store to stock up on Water/snacks and anything you've forgotten like sunscreen. If yo're only here a few days, it may be worth it to Uber to a nearby Walmart or Smiths to do that as well.
If you're here more than a few days, eat at local restaurants. You'll save a ton, eat better food and pay way less.
Sunscreen and Lip Balm. You cannot say these enough times.
Do not use Casino ATMS!
Ladies, carry a pair of flats/flipflops (even just cheap ones). Everything is a longer walk than it looks like it will be.
Get a Players card and ask about promotions
Do a little research on Groupon / Living Social for food, drinks and shows (once they start up again)

This seems a good list to me. I haven't been in Vegas as a tourist since the 90's, so it's hard to put myself in those shoes anymore. I welcome all other comments and suggestions.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
September 4th, 2020 at 5:17:48 AM permalink

1. Paid parking
2. Resort fees
3. Reservations.com
4. Concession and franchise fees
5. Charging to use mini-fridge
6. Welcome to Vegas sign photo-people
7. “Free CD” people
8. Street entertainers
9. Gift shop prices
10. Water sellers on strip
11. Timeshare pitches
12. Long-hauling cab drivers
13. Night club promoters
14. Hypnotist / lip-synch shows
15. ATM fees
16. “Hot babes direct to you.”
17. Three card monty.
18. West rim Grand Canyon

Meanwhile, I do recommend Tangerine Travels video on this topic.

I'll go through and offer my thoughts, if you don't mind:

1.) Not a scam, provided it is disclosed up front. Las Vegas is not the first place in the world to have paid parking, and honestly, not even the first casinos to have paid parking. There are casinos dotting the country near sports stadiums and arenas that sometimes charge for parking. I also don't know about now...but JACK Casino Cleveland (then Horseshoe) would charge for parking if you did not earn some number of points.

So, do I think it's BS? Yes! A scam? No, not if disclosed in advance and there is a way to get out of the garage for free without parking.

2.) These are spreading and, unfortunately, are no longer unique to Vegas casinos. These are often a scam, (in my opinion) but would not constitute a scam if they are disclosed upfront in the early stages of the booking process. So, sometimes a scam and sometimes not.

3.) I'd say charging an extra amount for nothing is definitely a scam, especially when you are purporting yourself to be saving people money.

4.) I don't understand this. Of course you have to pay franchise fees if you want to be part of a franchise. If you want to own a McDonald's, you pay McDonald's corporate. I guess they could be a scam, like in the case of Quizno's where the policies (mainly who you had to buy the food from) made it impossible to operate profitably...but I can't call the entire concept of franchises a scam.

5.) It depends on how clearly this policy is stated.

6.) I don't know what you mean.

7.) I don't know what you mean. I bought a CD that some guy was hawking in Vegas, but he never said it was going to be free. I bought it because it was really cheap and out of pure respect for his effort. Were I still in telemarketing, I'd have loved to have him on the phones on my team.

8.) Not a scam because you don't have to compensate them if you don't want to.

9.) Free association. If you put a price tag of $1,450.99 on a deck of playing cards and someone wants to buy it at that price; there you go. If nobody wants to pay that for playing cards and you're not selling anything else, you won't be in business long.

10.) NOT A SCAM!!! So convenient! I don't even care if it's just tap water with the cap twisted back on tightly...it's water, it's cold, it's 100 degrees outside. Besides, I'm pretty sure I was only charged $1.00.

11.) I guess it would depend on the timeshare. If it is what they say it is and you're getting what they say you will get, I guess not.

12.) I'd say that's definitely scammy. They should take whatever route results in the lowest price, unless the customer specifically asks to get there as quickly as possible (in cases where a longer route would be less time).

13.) I don't know enough about this. I don't see how the mere promotion of a location could be a scam, in general.

14.) Nah, some people go to the shows because they think they are entertaining. If people purchase a ticket thinking the show has value, then that's all fine.

15.) Definitely not a scam. The machines cost money, filling the machines with money costs money and it's a service. The ATM also states the fees before the transaction is completed, at least, any of the few ATM's I have ever used have. It's also not at all unique to casinos; ATMs are everywhere.

16.) I know nothing about this.

17.) It's a scam if they are actually cheating. If their hands are so good that they can beat you on the level, then it's not a scam.

18.) I don't know what that means.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
Mission146
September 4th, 2020 at 7:36:47 AM permalink
As I said before, I'll rethink the title to something like "Vegas warnings and scams."

A lot of these we seem to have a difference of opinion or ethics. If an ATM machine says in fine print that there is a $100 fee, then I would call that a scam and I think you would say that it was a consensual (why isn't it spelled consentual?) transaction.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
Thanked by
Mission146
September 4th, 2020 at 9:01:56 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

4.) I don't understand this. Of course you have to pay franchise fees if you want to be part of a franchise. If you want to own a McDonald's, you pay McDonald's corporate. I guess they could be a scam, like in the case of Quizno's where the policies (mainly who you had to buy the food from) made it impossible to operate profitably...but I can't call the entire concept of franchises a scam.

A CNF fee is the restaurant/bar equivalent to a resort fee. The difference is that, while a resort fee can (kind of) justify itself by saying it covers your wi-fi and exercise room expenses, a CNF offers you nothing. Essentially you're being charged money for the privilege of being allowed to spend your money inside their establishment. (Gee thanks.)

The fee information is usually buried in the fine print on the menu, mixed in with information about MSGs and undercooked food warnings. If they really wanted to be "honest and upfront" about it, they should either raise their prices or charge an entry fee, like a nightclub or amusement park.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2020 at 9:23:22 AM permalink

As I said before, I'll rethink the title to something like "Vegas warnings and scams."

A lot of these we seem to have a difference of opinion or ethics. If an ATM machine says in fine print that there is a $100 fee, then I would call that a scam and I think you would say that it was a consensual (why isn't it spelled consentual?) transaction.

I wouldn't unless it is also stated on the screen prior to the person agreeing to the transaction. I will say, in my opinion, every ATM (of the few) I've used has been very direct in what you're going to get charged. I will stipulate I don't care about the amount of the charge as long as the person has the ability to refuse. If enough people refuse, then the charge will certainly come down.

I'd definitely call it, "Opinion," rather than, "Ethics," but I don't look at many things as, 'Ethical,' or, 'Unethical,' in the same way some others might. I guess what I'm saying is that it's simply not an ethical question, for me.

If nothing else, I'd consider your own bank charging you on the ATM transaction potentially scammy. That aspect of it is usually buried in the paperwork almost nobody reads.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2020 at 9:29:20 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

A CNF fee is the restaurant/bar equivalent to a resort fee. The difference is that, while a resort fee can (kind of) justify itself by saying it covers your wi-fi and exercise room expenses, a CNF offers you nothing. Essentially you're being charged money for the privilege of being allowed to spend your money inside their establishment. (Gee thanks.)

The fee information is usually buried in the fine print on the menu, mixed in with information about MSGs and undercooked food warnings. If they really wanted to be "honest and upfront" about it, they should either raise their prices or charge an entry fee, like a nightclub or amusement park.

Resort Fees are weird in that I find them simultaneously NOT unethical, but also not justifiable. What did WiFi and fitness room cost before? Nothing. So, why is it not part of the price still? Even people who were not planning to use the pool in our hotel would ask, "Can you knock another couple bucks off if I don't use the pool?" I would usually either do it or not do it based on whether I thought it would make an actual difference on them taking the room...or if I even needed them that night.

I guess some high-end type hotels would charge for WiFi separately, which is hilarious. Stay at a dumpy Super 8 and you get it free. Pay $170/night and get charged another $15 for Wi-Fi. They say that caring about money is why some people are rich in the first place, but I guess that's not always true.

That sounds pretty junky about the CNF fees. I guess my opinion of whether or not they are a scam depends on how prominently it is made known prior to ordering anything. If not very boldly advertised, does the waitress/bartender at least say something before taking your order? If not, then definitely a scam.

Wizard is correct that I'm very big on, "Informed consent." If informed consent exists, then free association exists...and while it could be a, 'Rip-Off,' it's no longer a scam or ethical matter in my book.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
Mission146
September 4th, 2020 at 10:05:46 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I wouldn't unless it is also stated on the screen prior to the person agreeing to the transaction. I will say, in my opinion, every ATM (of the few) I've used has been very direct in what you're going to get charged. I will stipulate I don't care about the amount of the charge as long as the person has the ability to refuse. If enough people refuse, then the charge will certainly come down.

I'd definitely call it, "Opinion," rather than, "Ethics," but I don't look at many things as, 'Ethical,' or, 'Unethical,' in the same way some others might. I guess what I'm saying is that it's simply not an ethical question, for me.

If nothing else, I'd consider your own bank charging you on the ATM transaction potentially scammy. That aspect of it is usually buried in the paperwork almost nobody reads.

Nobody is disputing that the fee is disclosed and the customer may cancel the transaction. There is probably a law requiring that. I also don't have a problem with paying a reasonable fee for a service. However, if the fee were $100 and disclosed in a very small font close to the end of the transaction, I would have a problem with that and would make no apologies about warning people about it.
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2020 at 10:38:34 AM permalink

Nobody is disputing that the fee is disclosed and the customer may cancel the transaction. There is probably a law requiring that. I also don't have a problem with paying a reasonable fee for a service. However, if the fee were $100 and disclosed in a very small font close to the end of the transaction, I would have a problem with that and would make no apologies about warning people about it.

I agree with that completely.
rxwine
rxwine
September 5th, 2020 at 1:23:44 PM permalink
No problem
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2020 at 9:10:06 PM permalink

No problem

Thank you, your questions have been moved here.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 17th, 2020 at 1:16:58 PM permalink
My video on everything from overcharging to outright scams is ready. I apologize for the lousy audio as I forgot to bring my microphone. The next one will be better. It is still in private mode, so if you find anything that is obviously wrong in the editing or factually in error, please let me know.

Direct: https://youtu.be/XgFuUJXAj7M
TinMan
TinMan
September 17th, 2020 at 3:45:23 PM permalink
Good video. There were fewer “ums” and “ahs” compared to some other videos. I was surprised you didn’t edit out the guy who dunked his head in the water. Seemed like that would be a relatively easy edit.

Separately, I’ve wondered if there are real banks on the strip to avoid/reduce ATM fees. I guess if you both aren’t aware of any then that’s the answer, unfortunately.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 17th, 2020 at 5:22:08 PM permalink

Good video. There were fewer “ums” and “ahs” compared to some other videos. I was surprised you didn’t edit out the guy who dunked his head in the water. Seemed like that would be a relatively easy edit.

Thank you! I could have easily edited that guy out, but I thought it conveyed how hot it was and the necessity of water, since we were already talking about it so much.

Quote:

Separately, I’ve wondered if there are real banks on the strip to avoid/reduce ATM fees. I guess if you both aren’t aware of any then that’s the answer, unfortunately.

I seriously can't think of a single one. I can't think of any ATM's branded to a bank either, but could be wrong on that. As Angela said, I would use an ATM that isn't in a casino, like at Walgreens, if you must.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 17th, 2020 at 7:59:09 PM permalink
Here are the next to Strip videos I plan with Angela. I welcome all other suggestions.

Do’s and Don’ts

1. Prostitution is not legal in Clark County...
2. Sunscreen and Lip Balm. You cannot say these enough times.
3. Ladies, carry a pair of flats/flipflops (even just cheap ones). Everything is a longer walk than it looks like it will be.
4. Get a Players card and ask about promotions
5. West rim Grand Canyon
6. Hypnotist / lip-synch shows
7. General night club advice
8. Don’t spread yourself too thin.
9. Water bottles and where to find cheap water.
10. Don’t walk too far.
11. Monorail & Deuce
12. Pros/cons staying on Strip, downtown, off-strip.
13. Take hotel-to-hotel trams.
14. Dispensaries

Money Saving Advice

1. Use Lyft or Uber instead of a Taxi
2. If you're going to here more than a weekend, rent a car (for at least a day or two) and go to a local grocery store to stock up on Water/snacks and anything you've forgotten like sunscreen. If yo're only here a few days, it may be worth it to Uber to a nearby Walmart or Smiths to do that as well.
3. If you're here more than a few days, eat at local restaurants. You'll save a ton, eat better food and pay way less.
4. Do a little research on Groupon / Living Social for food, drinks and shows (once they start up again)
5. Half-price tickets
6. Don’t buy drinks at the bar.
7. Play low house edge games (and don’t play slots).
8. Visit mid-week
Last edited by: Wizard on Sep 19, 2020
Mission146
Mission146
September 18th, 2020 at 5:17:30 AM permalink
Do's and Dont's

#4---Ask about promotions, then decide whether or not you want a Players Club Card, imo. The places that are most generous getting you in the door will often be the most generous after you've already played there.
TinMan
TinMan
Thanked by
Mission146
September 18th, 2020 at 5:39:26 AM permalink
My money saving advice is about hotel rooms. (1) Review hotel calendars before booking flights. There are some periods of time where I can’t get comped weekend nights but there are plenty of times when I can. Caesars is surprisingly good about comped Friday and Saturday for low rollers. (2) cobble together comped nights across different properties. Boyd will give me 2 free nights midweek. Not every week but enough that eventually it overlaps with the Caesar’s weekend nights. Plus MyVEGAS can give you midweek nights pretty easily at MGM properties. If you have some flexibility in your travel dates and don’t mind moving properties, you can get 5-10 comped nights Pretty easily (and May or may not be able to avoid the resort fees too—eg, Boyd doesn’t charge resort fee on comped rooms).
Mission146
Mission146
September 18th, 2020 at 5:42:32 AM permalink

My money saving advice is about hotel rooms. (1) Review hotel calendars before booking flights. There are some periods of time where I can’t get comped weekend nights but there are plenty of times when I can. Caesars is surprisingly good about comped Friday and Saturday for low rollers. (2) cobble together comped nights across different properties. Boyd will give me 2 free nights midweek. Not every week but enough that eventually it overlaps with the Caesar’s weekend nights. Plus MyVEGAS can give you midweek nights pretty easily at MGM properties. If you have some flexibility in your travel dates and don’t mind moving properties, you can get 5-10 comped nights Pretty easily (and May or may not be able to avoid the resort fees too—eg, Boyd doesn’t charge resort fee on comped rooms).

Great advice, and for those without MyVegas, comps or some such...I would say don't be afraid to book early as long as you make yourself aware of the cancellation policy.

It doesn't even matter if the prices seem high; (as long as you can cancel) if the prices do nothing but go up after that, you can't get the lower price back, but if the prices were to go down at some point, (prior to the cancellation deadline) then you can just cancel and rebook (or book at the alternate source).

Also, they'll sometimes do it on their own without the need to actually cancel the reservation if you call directly and booked directly (or on their own website) in the first place. Not always, though.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 21st, 2020 at 11:15:14 AM permalink
Here is my latest video on the Paroli betting system.

Direct: https://youtu.be/zzk3idTZalo

I welcome all comments. I also welcome suggestions on other systems to cover.
  • Jump to: