Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 140
March 29th, 2016 at 3:21:39 PM permalink
http://vitalvegas.com/beware-the-deceptive-cnf-charge-at-beer-park-hexx-kitchen-at-paris-las-vegas/

First I have heard of this charge and I agree this is just another reason to not visit this place. I'm not a fan of Budweiser buying up Craft Breweries to start with and then using their muscle to gain shelf space and push small breweries out of stores. Most of the beers sold here are owned by Inbev/Bud and much better choices are available even on the strip. I honestly didn't notice the fee when I visited last month, but I'm guilty of not looking close.

The story says Hexx also charges it, so it will probably spread when they see they can get away with it.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 89
March 29th, 2016 at 3:34:26 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

http://vitalvegas.com/beware-the-deceptive-cnf-charge-at-beer-park-hexx-kitchen-at-paris-las-vegas/

First I have heard of this charge and I agree this is just another reason to not visit this place. I'm not a fan of Budweiser buying up Craft Breweries to start with and then using their muscle to gain shelf space and push small breweries out of stores. Most of the beers sold here are owned by Inbev/Bud and much better choices are available even on the strip. I honestly didn't notice the fee when I visited last month, but I'm guilty of not looking close.

The story says Hexx also charges it, so it will probably spread when they see they can get away with it.

Thanks for the post. I hate such business practices. I wonder how many customers decrease the fee from the tip... even though of course the server has nothing to do with it.....
Canyonero
Canyonero
  • Threads: 38
March 30th, 2016 at 5:30:36 AM permalink
A question for the lawyers:

If this happened to me, I would refuse to pay the 4.7%. My reasoning would be that the business can't assume that I would read all their fineprint. Thus, they have an obligation to mention it to me when I order. If they disagree, I would invite them to call the cops.

If they take me up on my offer, where do I go from there? Could I wait for them to file the complaint, then identify myself to the cops only and tell the bar "see you in court"?
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 110
March 30th, 2016 at 6:26:21 AM permalink
It's also conveniently located after a statement on every menu.... Raw meat and fish. People (I) stop reading when I see this spiel. It's deliberately dishonest, I doubt they put it there by accident.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 164
March 30th, 2016 at 7:02:55 AM permalink
INAL...

Refuse to pay? Call the cops?

It's not worth that kind of effort, and it IS posted.

A better option is to simply ask to see the manager. Argue about it. Perhaps loudly. Then after wasting the manager's time, grumbly pay it.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 36
March 30th, 2016 at 7:40:09 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

INAL...

Refuse to pay? Call the cops?

It's not worth that kind of effort, and it IS posted.

A better option is to simply ask to see the manager. Argue about it. Perhaps loudly. Then after wasting the manager's time, grumbly pay it.

INAL either. Best not to make a fuss if you're out with friends or family trying to have a good time. BUT, if you are by yourself ( and someone is local that could make your bail ), you could jump up and down and have a hissy fit. Demand loudly to speak to the manager, show your bill to the adjacent table and ask them if they know there's a hidden 'Mob' tax for the bosses on their bill. By this time people will have their cell phones out and be filming ;-) Get creative, try NOT to get arrested.....you could be the next you-tube gone viral...;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
VladsGiants
VladsGiants
  • Threads: 1
March 30th, 2016 at 8:30:17 AM permalink
Paris Beer Park? I've stayed at Paris a couple of times and didn't even know it existed. Now that I do know, I'll be sure to avoid it! :)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 70
March 30th, 2016 at 9:11:39 AM permalink
Any theories as to why it's just the Beer Park and Hexx?

(And I checked the online menus - the menu for Hexx as well as Beer Park mentions the 4.7% charge (in the same place, too - right after the disclaimer), but none of the others appear to.)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 206
March 30th, 2016 at 2:12:33 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Any theories as to why it's just the Beer Park and Hexx?

(And I checked the online menus - the menu for Hexx as well as Beer Park mentions the 4.7% charge (in the same place, too - right after the disclaimer), but none of the others appear to.)

The Sugar Factory used to charge the hidden fee before it became Hexx. It's not a new thing.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 70
March 30th, 2016 at 2:38:47 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

The Sugar Factory used to charge the hidden fee before it became Hexx. It's not a new thing.

I checked the online menus for the four Sugar Factory restaurants that apparently still exist.
New York and Orlando don't list any extra fees.
Chicago lists a credit card surcharge "not greater than our cost of acceptance," and a 20% service charge (read: enforced tip) for parties of 5 or more.
The Miami menu says, "All menu items are subject to a 20% service charge" - on the back of the menu, where the only other thing on the page is the logo; however, I found a Yelp review that says that this is more or less standard operating practice in Miami.

And why 4.7%? Why not a round 5%?

• Jump to: