Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1343
August 19th, 2020 at 4:26:24 PM permalink
Here is my next video on state flag trivia. Enjoy!

Direct: https://youtu.be/lH9KcnsJ7IU
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 166
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
August 19th, 2020 at 6:07:19 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Which US President does The Wizard look like? I thought it would be one with a beard, but this looked close.

Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 19th, 2020 at 8:16:17 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Which US President does The Wizard look like? I thought it would be one with a beard, but this looked close.

I hate to ask, but which one is he?
rxwine
rxwine
August 19th, 2020 at 8:35:45 PM permalink
13th President (lucky number?) A young Millard Fillmore
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
August 19th, 2020 at 9:37:15 PM permalink

13th President (lucky number?) A young Millard Fillmore

You don't hear about him much.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
August 20th, 2020 at 3:27:26 AM permalink

I do believe he looks like he could be on a unicycle.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
August 20th, 2020 at 7:01:10 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Drinking games like @$$hole and bulls$!t?

Both have strategy to them.

My strategy for @$$hole was to swipe the deuces from the discard pile while my drunk friends weren't looking. Worked pretty well, too!

As an aside, a female friend in college objected to the name of the game, so we instead called it "Undesirable Person" when she played!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 29th, 2020 at 7:56:20 PM permalink
Here is my latest video, a long one, on international flag trivia. This one was a lot of fun to make.

Direct: https://youtu.be/8w5LSPBSkzc
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 16
August 30th, 2020 at 2:14:36 PM permalink

To start, here is a fun, simple, and short video on how to force a win in checkers with two kings vs. one. I welcome all comments.

A couple of weeks ago I finished re-reading One Jump Ahead: Challenging Human Supremacy in Checkers by Dr. Jonathan Schaeffer. It's probably the fourth or the fifth time I've re-read it. (I seem to get the urge to re-read it every couple of years.) It's most certainly one of my favorite books of all-time. Anyone who is a fan of computer programming and game theory and game playing, will probably enjoy it too.

The new edition of this extraordinary book tells of the creation of the world champion checkers computer program, Chinook. In only two years, Chinook had become a worthy opponent to the world champion, and within four years had defeated all the world's top human players. Jonathan Schaeffer, the originator and leader of the Chinook team, provides an engrossing account of failures and successes. He describes the human story behind the program and his own feelings in learning from mistakes and technical problems in a continuous effort to improve Chinook's performance.

It's available from Amazon, in hardcover, for under $10.00.
rxwine
rxwine
August 30th, 2020 at 5:19:21 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

A couple of weeks ago I finished re-reading One Jump Ahead: Challenging Human Supremacy in Checkers by Dr. Jonathan Schaeffer. It's probably the fourth or the fifth time I've re-read it. (I seem to get the urge to re-read it every couple of years.) It's most certainly one of my favorite books of all-time. Anyone who is a fan of computer programming and game theory and game playing, will probably enjoy it too.

The new edition of this extraordinary book tells of the creation of the world champion checkers computer program, Chinook. In only two years, Chinook had become a worthy opponent to the world champion, and within four years had defeated all the world's top human players. Jonathan Schaeffer, the originator and leader of the Chinook team, provides an engrossing account of failures and successes. He describes the human story behind the program and his own feelings in learning from mistakes and technical problems in a continuous effort to improve Chinook's performance.

It's available from Amazon, in hardcover, for under $10.00.

I started thinking about computers solving checkers, become unbeatable in chess and Go, and realized, computers might be said to look into the future. They certainly are already being used to calculate battlefield scenarios before they even happen. Enter enough scenarios and you get closer to finding out what will happen in that future.

And that's how we will look into the future (so I predict, probably over confidently)

• Jump to: